Safes...How safe are they?

message4u

Safes are secure up to a point. They are fine for securing most items. But if you have some really expensive items, check them at the Pursers Office.

If you carefully read the cruise documents, you are warned that the ship is not responsible etc etc.

Remember, there is a way that the ships Purser or Security officer can open a safe that is locked.

The chief housekeeper can get into any safe at any time, as we found out when my sister's safe was left locked by the previous passengers. But, with that said, I've not had anything taken from any safe that I've used.

I have never had a problem with the safes on ships. Especially the ones that use your credit card for entry (oh my what if pick pockets:confused: ).

On the Tahitian Princess we bought vanilla beans to take home. I did not want to forget them so I put them in the safe with passport. Three days later when I emptied the safe there was the most wonderful glorious perfumed safe that has ever been. My nose twits in delight at the very thought.

I worried some on my last trip. I just hated the little sign that said they were not responsible. However, I figured they have the sign because otherwise people can claim they put something in there and didn't. Also, I had a lot of cash on me because I was doing all private tours which required cash. I told myself that their jobs were worth more than my cash. I have never had a problem. I think it is a bigger risk carrying it on me than leaving it there. That is how I am going to approach future cruises too.

Add me to the majority, have never had a problem. (The Connie was a 4-digit passcode, the Infinity a 6 digit passcode) Make sure whatever you place inside is not near the opening or the safe won't lock. Always double check it is locked when you close it.

Safe travels.

Some people overlook (lose) items in the safe due to the lip below the door.

Oh yes. I managed to 'misplace' a credit card (on Galaxy) in just that way. I searched that safe inside out and upside down - so did my wife - but we did not see the card. So we assumed that it had been lost ashore (or stolen), and we spent a really fun :D hour talking to the checking the account, canceling it, and persuading the purser to let me register another card for on-board charges.

Then some while later, while I was in the safe for something else, I noticed the lip; and there, up in the front left-hand corner and tucked completely under the lip, was my card.

Your Safe Deposit Box can be accessed by the Bank (or Authorities), as can most anything else we define as a safe. If someone forgot their stateroom safe passcode, they would quite happy that someone in the Purser Office or the head of housekeeping could get into the safe, so there is always a way. Someone said the majority haven't had a problem with the safe. As far as I can tell, it's isn't a 'majority' but everyone responding hasn't had an issue. Considering how much we posters love to complain and tell about some situation we heard about fourth-hand, I assume no one has actually had anything stolen from a safe. Of course, right after I say that, the next post will say just that. Go figure.

I wouldn't put my life savings, my password to that Swiss bank account with my $millions$, or even my special baseball card signed by Don Drysdale in a stateroom safe, but all else goes in there.

Denny

My DH and I were married in Barbados while aboard the Summit.

There I am waiting for him at the end of the gang plank in my full wedding attire.. and wating.. and waiting.. and waiting.

I thought he stood me up.. but eventually he showed up 20 minutes late!

Something had happened with the safe and he could not get the wedding rings out.. and it took forever to find someone who could "unlock" the safe... Only 1 or 2 people can get in without the passsenger driven code.

So that makes me feel like they truly are secure.

Archived