Galley tour question

booboo925

Hi,

I read somewhere that you could take a Galley tour...I think this sounds kind of cool...Is it listed somewhere in the capers? Can anyone do it? Is it offered on all Carnival ships? Can I ask anymore questions in one post?

Thanks in advance!

Look in the Capers for the time and place for the galley tour. You won't actually be in the galley w/the food. They use an annex or alcove off the main kitchen/galley for this. The tours vary with each ship I've cruised on.

Yes it will be in the capers. It will be midday. I always wanted to do it, and it was really crowded with like 200 people. But I was on a very full ship. It was just okay, not as good as I expected. you should try it once and see for yourself. As the previous poster said, it is not in the actual kitchen. It's kind of like a detour by the kitchen.

The tours are held on the last sea day around 3:30pm and on some ships this tour is limited to Platinum members to minimize the spread of any type of virus.

Fred

LoL, because Platinum members don't spread virus? Yet another perk I can look forward to!

(tongue in cheek)

Sol y Mar

The tours are held on the last sea day around 3:30pm and on some ships this tour is limited to Platinum members to minimize the spread of any type of virus.

Fred

Where in the world do you get some of these inane ideas?????:D

In Fred's defense, what I think he meant is that if it is limited to only Platinum and only a % of those guests per sailing take them up on the tour, then there are less people potentially spreading viruses???

Right Fred??? LOL:confused:

In Fred's defense, what I think he meant is that if it is limited to only Platinum and only a % of those guests per sailing take them up on the tour, then there are less people potentially spreading viruses???

Right Fred??? LOL:confused:

Yep, Thats exactly what I meant but I also want to say that:

Carnival Platinum members are Virus free ~~~ :D

Fred

Ah...the Galley Tour!!! Just did it on the Valor...was NOT what we were expecting!!! It was neat to see it all...and we DID NOT DETOUR AROUND the galley...we were allowed to go straight through it...and there were a few people working in it...but I'm sure most cleared out for the 20 minutes-ish that it took us to all...(200 or so)...to walk through.

Here's what I didn't expect though...and like some have said, I guess its different on various ships...but the way ours went was...we all gathered in the center dining room...sat around in chairs...the Matre'd came out and spoke to the group as a whole...told us a few facts about the amounts of food they process each cruise, etc...then they opened the galley door and said, "Okay...lead yourself...walk on through it," and we all formed a big line and just walked straight through...a long winding series of....hmmm, pathways...(I guess)...that snaked around, in one direction...(as in a one way path...that the staff much use)...and we just wound our way through the whole kitchen...saw everything...and then you pop out on the other end of the thing in the aft dining room. And that was that. NOT a guided tour...just a lead yourself kind of thing!

Fred

Ahh Fred are you saying that Platinum members do not carry the "bug" LOL?

I guess things have changed since this past Feb. We took a Valentine's cruise on the Miracle. They had a galley tour on the last sea day at 11 a.m. We went on the tour (pics in my signature), and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone in a wheelchair because we went downstairs and had to ride an escalator back up. It was cool to see everything, it was like being at work for me only everything was way bigger. (I work in a cafeteria-style restaraunt so everything in the kitchen we have where I work, just not as big). We enjoyed the tour, and when we took ours in Feb. of this year, we weren't platinum. Guess that part has changed. It was our 4th cruise at the time.

I took the tour on my NE cruise...I really found it interesting..(but crowded)--I think everyone should do it once (if it is at a convenient time)..just to see the mechanics of making your dinner:)

DH and I did the galley tour on the Legend in April. It was on the last sea day, and we both liked it quite a bit. We most definitely went through the whole kitchen; there were people frying eggplant, prepping meat, cutting up veggies, etc. They also had some beautiful ice sculptures on display, as well as some amazing "food art." I was also very impressed to see how sanitary everything was (I know they *could* have cleaned extra-well for the tour). The line was pretty long, but it moved quickly and there was a LOT to see as you made your way through the galley. Interestingly, on the Spirit-class ships, the galley is a deck below the dining room, so you get to ride the escalator up to the dining room, just as servers do with your food each night.

I did the galley tour on the Freedom--the same one that Fred did. On that cruise only the Platinum members were given invitations, and we had to RSVP that we would attend. Only a dozen or so people went through the galley, and we indeed were given a guided tour.

I remember the galley tour offered only once, on the Miracle, but I had just come out of working in the kitchen of a busy, high-capacity restaurant, so I had NO desire to get back into the kitchen! Now that it's been a few years since I've worked there, I would really enjoy the galley tour!

Ah...the Galley Tour!!! Just did it on the Valor...was NOT what we were expecting!!! It was neat to see it all...and we DID NOT DETOUR AROUND the galley...we were allowed to go straight through it...and there were a few people working in it...but I'm sure most cleared out for the 20 minutes-ish that it took us to all...(200 or so)...to walk through.

Here's what I didn't expect though...and like some have said, I guess its different on various ships...but the way ours went was...we all gathered in the center dining room...sat around in chairs...the Matre'd came out and spoke to the group as a whole...told us a few facts about the amounts of food they process each cruise, etc...then they opened the galley door and said, "Okay...lead yourself...walk on through it," and we all formed a big line and just walked straight through...a long winding series of....hmmm, pathways...(I guess)...that snaked around, in one direction...(as in a one way path...that the staff much use)...and we just wound our way through the whole kitchen...saw everything...and then you pop out on the other end of the thing in the aft dining room. And that was that. NOT a guided tour...just a lead yourself kind of thing!

We also toured the galley on the Valor-Eastern recently. It was just as max described. I'll only add that it was on our last sea day, early afternoon.

We just returned from the Spirit to Alaska. The galley tour was on the last sea day and at 3:30pm for the general public. Being a Platinum member, our tour started at 3:00 and there were 15 of us! The tour was great and I highly recommend it at least once. I have taken it before I was Platinum with a large group and it was informative as well. We got into the actual galley both times.

I tried it on the Victory and was very dissapointed. The galley was empty other than a couple of folks watching bread bake when we went through. The speech talking about how many meals they serve and the cookbook took more time than the walk through.

Fred

Fred on all the cruises I have been on since being Platinum, they have a private tour for Platinum that happens prior to the regular tour. I never had one until I was Platinum but they did take us through the kitchens, We saw where they did dishes, made the desserts, the fridges where they store the salads, grills for the meats, the office for the chef, the dessert area. I was impressed. This was on two different ships and it was the same going through the kitchen area.

Archived