Electronic purchased on-board not returnable?

tcrny

We were on the CB 7/28 sailing and purchased an expensive digital underwater camera. We thought this camera was amazing until we brought it home to download the images. It took amazing pictures, but as we download them the images are very grainy for a 10 pixel camera, actually worse than our daughter's inexpensive camera. We called Princess yesterday and they apologized that they do not have any mechanism in place for returning purchased items on-board - even expensive electronic equipment. My husband said that never did the salesperson say that this is a final sale and would not be returnable for any reason, nor did any paperwork/receipt with the camera state this. He spoke to several managers at Princess and all said the same thing. They told us all we can do is write a letter.

Does anyone have any experience/success trying to return item purchased on-board? How can they sell expensive equipment that has no guarantee to return? We find this hard to believe. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Cathy

I bought a pair of earrings and was able to return them. They weren't defective just the wrong type of closure. I sent them in and they refunded me on my cc. The whole process took less then a month to complete. I wish I remembered the lady at princess that I spoke with but I do believe it was in the onboard sales department.

We had friends make a very expensive purchase onboard a Princess ship a few years ago. On the bottom of the receipt in very small print there was a buyers remorse clause, which means no returns.

I guess it would depend on different items that can be purchased, but I would get out my magnifing glass and make sure that those words are not somewhere in the paper work you received.

Best of luck and I hope things work out for you on this one. If they don't, a very expensive lesson learned. Always buy expensive electronics from a reputable dealer where you have a return policy handy.

We are so accustomed (at least in the US) to being able to return merchandise that it is more usual for us to see signs advising of non-return policies rather than the other way round. As a result, I know I don't usually ask the return policy before purchase, but perhaps we should. :o

Last cruise I bought some very inexpensive costume jewelry at one of those 'specials' they have every day, and I know that receipt had that non-returnable disclaimer. (Which I did not notice until after the purchase). So I agree with Toto, I believe the ship stores return policy is printed at the bottom/back of the receipt. Do you happen to have yours? I am also now wondering from some of the above posts if there are different policies depending on which ship shop it was purchased in?

We were on the CB 7/28 sailing and purchased an expensive digital underwater camera. We thought this camera was amazing until we brought it home to download the images. It took amazing pictures, but as we download them the images are very grainy for a 10 pixel camera, actually worse than our daughter's inexpensive camera. We called Princess yesterday and they apologized that they do not have any mechanism in place for returning purchased items on-board - even expensive electronic equipment. My husband said that never did the salesperson say that this is a final sale and would not be returnable for any reason, nor did any paperwork/receipt with the camera state this. He spoke to several managers at Princess and all said the same thing. They told us all we can do is write a letter.

Does anyone have any experience/success trying to return item purchased on-board? How can they sell expensive equipment that has no guarantee to return? We find this hard to believe. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Cathy

Most cameras come with a manufacturer's guarantee. Have you tried contacting the company that made the camera? If you still have your receipt or a copy of your bill from the ship, they may fix or replace it for you.

I had an allergic reaction to some spa products that I purchased onboard. I received a full refund from LaTherapie for the skincare products that I had bought on the Caribbean Princess. All I needed from Princess was my original receipt and verification of a spa treatment at which time the products were recommended. I was instructed to return the unused portions of products and received a full refund in the mail within two weeks.

Have you contacted the manufacturer of the camera? Perhaps they would exchange the camera that you purchased on the ship. Good luck.

Chris

Most cameras come with a manufacturer's guarantee. Have you tried contacting the company that made the camera? If you still have your receipt or a copy of your bill from the ship' date=' they may fix or replace it for you.[/quote']

Great minds think alike :D I was posting the same thing at the same time!

Chris

If the photos you're getting are grainy, it could very well be a defective camera. If that is the case, buyer's remorse (simply regretting you made the purchase) would not come into play.

I would first confirm that the camera settings are correct. My camera, for instance, allows me to select the quality of the photos taken. Better quality photos generate a larger file, taking up more space on the memory card. With the camera set to take better quality photos, there is virtually no chance of getting a grainy photo.

There is a person at Princess who you can contact for returns. I was given her name and phone number on a previous cruise, but it's now long gone. I suggest you call Princess and insist they give you a contact name and number.

Contacting your credit card company was a good suggestion. If Princess won't cooperate, put payment on hold and let the credit card company get to the bottom of it.

Good luck...

Lew

returned to a cruise line? :eek:

Yep. Husband bought it, never wore it, lost weight, jacket too big. Next cruise on that line years later & wanted to exchange for smaller size. They didn't even have that one any longer but exchanged it for the correct size in the one they did have. This was HAL. We were shocked and to say the least, quite pleased.

Pia

Thanks for all replies/suggestions. We have written the letter to Princess and will give them a chance to come back to us. We did pay by cc and has been already paid but if Princess doesn't respond back to us, we will take the suggestion to contact our cc company to see if we have any dispute. I'll keep you posted.

I have the same kind of waterproof camera as they sell onboard, the Olympus 790SW, so I'm assuming it's the same one. It has many settings, one of which is image quality, so check your settings first. It's on the Menu button. Experiment with the settings to see if you still get the same results. If so, I'd send the camera back to the manufacturer.

We recently purchased and Olympus underwater camera from an online retailer...the first unit we received was defective electronically, with a short battery life and somewhat noisy (grainy) images. We exchanged it for an identical camera and the new one works fine...

I would contact Olympus in this case to see what the suggest.

I agree, make sure the settings are correct. If that's not the problem, check your credit card benefits. One of my cards has something called "Return Protection". It says if you try to return an item within 90 days of purchase, and the merchant refuses, the card will refund up to $300.00 excluding shipping and handling. Don't know if that would cover your full expenditure, but worth checking your card benefits to see if you have something similar.

In addition, I'd be concerned that the cruiseline was selling "gray market" electronics.
If they were selling "gray market" electronics, they'd be selling cameras at steep discounts, which they don't. You can buy the same thing as Princess sells at any number of online electronics sites for a heck of a lot less.

Archived