Does anyone think this is weird?

marinersfan

My friend and I have booked a Caribbean Cruise in April. Our husbands are not going (A girl's "Week" out). Anyway, our husbands think it is very strange that we want to go without them (even though they both take vacations without us). Even their friends at work are giving them a bad time that they are "letting" us go. Do any of you think it is weird?

:D This is NOT wierd. Guys go on hunting trips, golf weekends, are flown into remote parts of Canada for fishing, etc, etc, etc...

Why is it any different for you to escape with a friend on a cruise??? There should be no double standard, and you are just as entitled to plan (as guys do) whatever escape pleases you.

In two months I will be on my 8th cruise. But one of my favorites was with a girlfriend (of 25 years) her daughter, and daughter's friend for 7 days in a balcony suite on Paradise.

It was a completely different cruise than with My Honey, or with my children, all of which I've experienced and enjoyed.

My guess is that they are giving you a hard time because they are jealous that they didn't think of this also, know that you are going to have a great time, and please don't think that they are "letting" you go.

You have earned the right!

I won't tell you "Have a great time", because I've been there and know that you will!

THEDUCHESS

I'm leaving this morning for a 4 night cruise, with 2 friends. My best friend and I are leaving our hubbys at home (the 3rd is single)... I've done it several times, and although he's never thrilled about it, DH doesn't have a big problem with it, either. I think the only reason he *ever* complains when I do this, is because he's jealous!!!! He wants to go, too!!!

DW and I would not do that. We just wouldn't have a good time going on vacation without the other one. But that doesn't mean it's wrong or weird. It's just not for us.

I know several couples that take a lot more vacations apart from each other, rather than together. I think that's a problem.

NO, its not weird, because I do this once every summer with three dear friends. Our husbands don't mind at all. They are always going fishing, hunt trips, poker games, and let's not forget the golf course! Go Enjoy and have fun! ;)

I think you & your gal pal are going to have a FABULOUS time! There is absolutely nothing wrong nor weird about wanting to go on vacation alone together w/o the DHs. We sometimes just need our girlfriend time, don't we? I surely wouldn't have a prob if my man wanted to cruise with his buddies. What's the big deal anyway?

Speaking of which, me and a dozen of my gal pals are going on an all-gals cruise next year, which just happens to be a CC group cruise. Everyone is looking forward to it, too. Knowing an engagement is right around the corner, we are calling this my bachelorette cruise! Yahoo!! Perhaps, you and your gal pal could join us?? LMAO! :p

Happy sailing,

T.

I personally think it's fine. Every couple is different -- some wouldn't enjoy a vacation without each other, some would. For me, it's important to have a life outside of my marriage as well as within, so I feel like a whole person not just half of a couple. In addition, my female friends are very important to me, so doing the occasional trip with them is something I treasure. It gives us time to bond, and an opportunity to have the kinds of deep girl-talk discussions that you just can't have with men. Don't mean to gender-generalize, but it's just a fact that most men aren't as comfortable with the kind of emotionally analytical conversations that women often share together.

Several years ago, a few girlfriends and I were planning a weekend trip to Las Vegas. My mother-in-law got wind of it, and called me all up in arms. She said she just couldn't understand why we would want to go anywhere w/o our husbands, and that in her mind, women would ONLY be doing that if they wanted to go off and cheat! I remember her saying, "But there will be all those...those...GOLFERS there!" Like we, a group of late-30's soccer moms, were heading off to Vegas like a bunch of femme-fatal predators to go pick up lone golfers in bars! We all had a great laugh over that. OH yeah, we just can't CONTROL ourselves around plaid pants! ;)

LeeAnne

Thanks for the thoughts. I enjoy going with my husband (we just went on a cruise to Hawaii this last May), but what he likes to do on vacation is so much different than what I like. This is my chance to do the things that I like without feeling guilty.

His friends were starting to make me question going, but now that I know that many other people do it...I think they will have to deal with it!!

Thanks again!!

Evonne

My husband and I have been on 6 cruises together and gone with other couples. Have always had a GREAT time. A few yrs. ago I went with two very dear and "old" friends on a 7 day cruise. My husband was find with it. He plays ALOT of golf all summer, bowls in the fall, etc.etc. I don't have a problem with that either. I guess after 39 yrs. of marriage you trust each other enough to be able to be away from each other from time to time. I must say that when I went with the "girls" it was different than when I was with my husband. We didn't stay out late or party like the younger ones do. Not to say that we didn't have a few drinks though. But what we did that our dear husbands trully hate is to SHOP TILL YOU DROP at every port. No husband standing around waiting for you to finish shopping. We had a balcony and each morning we enjoyed being lazy and just having coffee on our balcony and talking, talking, laughing and laughing. (as only women can do).So please some of you,don't think that just because women want to go on vacation with out their hubby"s once in awhile, that we are "up to something". p.s. My husband and I were on a cruise just last Jan. and looking to book another cruise for Jan. 06 !!!!!!!!!!!! No matter what, cruising is just the best vacation.

Guys are like that. My EX fiancee used to go on hunting trips all the time with his buddies. He also went on motorcycle trips out west with them. I didnt like it, but said nothing (it would do no good anyway). Wellll, this past August I took my 14 year old SON on a cruise, did not invite the EX fiancee, and boy did he blow a gasket when he learned about the cruise. I put up with his sulking and comments and questions for MONTHS before the cruise and then his questions and attitude after the cruise. That is not the main reason he is now an EX fiancee, but his whole double standard attitude didnt help our relationship. Go and have a wonderful time, there is NOTHING weird about it.

I am glad to read this. Three of my girlfriends and I are going on The Mariner Oct. 2005. We have been talking about doing this for years and finally everyone agreed. As I am the cruiser and planner I am in charge of this one and that's fine with me. My SO isn't real thrilled but he goes to the mountains with the boys every year so I hope he gets used to the idea and doesn't give me any flack...I don't get nearly enough time with my friends...

DW and I would not do that. We just wouldn't have a good time going on vacation without the other one. But that doesn't mean it's wrong or weird. It's just not for us.

I know several couples that take a lot more vacations apart from each other, rather than together. I think that's a problem.

Marc - You are one of my favorite people on CC. You know that I have taken a few ;) solo cruises this year without dh. His new job does not allow much vacation time, and he doesn't mind me going without him. We have been married 21 years, and adore one another. We have a fantastic marriage, we truly do. We were able to cruise a few weeks ago together, and thoroughly enjoyed the time together, and of course, I would prefer cruising with him, but he doesn't expect me not to go because he only has a week or two a year. I guess my point in this long winded response is to share with you that there are VERY HAPPILY, WILDLY in love couples, that do travel apart, and it is not necessarily a symptom of a problem.

Marie

Last year my wife had a chance to go to Denver for a week with a friend, Angie grew up in Denver and this was the first time back in 15 years, I could not get any time off work so I could not go. My feeling is we are both adults and can do what we want to do. I go fishing a lot and Angie can not drive, so When I am gone she is stuck at home or depends on friends to drive her. It would not be fair or right if I did what I want then tell her she could not go.

I say go have a great time with your friends.

Bob P.

My friend and I have booked a Caribbean Cruise in April. Our husbands are not going (A girl's "Week" out). Anyway, our husbands think it is very strange that we want to go without them (even though they both take vacations without us). Even their friends at work are giving them a bad time that they are "letting" us go. Do any of you think it is weird?

My two cents worth...

My wife has gone on cruises without me - once by herself, and a few times with her ma, my only problem is jealousy that I'm not on the cruise, though the mother-in-law thing does help to mitigate that ;)

No, not "all guys are like that." Personally I'm glad I'm married to someone that wants the two of us to share our vacation experiences together. With only 5 weeks vacation each year I want to spend my time off with the person I enjoy being with the most - that's my husband! Do what makes you happy -but seems if you have to ask about whether it's "weird" you aren't convinced that it's the best thing you should do. Just my opinion.

Go and enjoy yourself. I take two trips a year without the wife. I get more holidays than her. In May I golf for a week with the boys and in Oct-Nov I go hunting for a week or so. I say or so because it was all over in two days this year and it was so hot out we had to get the meet into a reefer or it could have spoiled. My wife has taken several trips both within Canada and abroad to visit friends without me. Don't get me wrong, we perfer to travel together but sometimes my schedual as an Army officer and hers as a nurse who works a weird shift rotation just don't mesh. Neither of us have any trouble with the other travelling solo. In fact the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder" has worked for 25 years for us. Our next major trip together is the Panama Canal on the Summit for 14 days in Oct 05. Yes it will interfear with my hunting trip but we all have to make consessions. Have a great cruise!

Go for it! My sisters and I (6 all together) try to do a "Sisters Vacation" every couple of years. One of them was a cruise and it got us all hooked. We had a blast, two of us even won enough money at bingo and slots to pay for our cruise, what a deal.

I think it is great that some couples want to spend all their vacation time together, but often families have different interests or schedules and you can't deny yourself fun just because it isn't something they would want to do. Of course I can say I really didn't like my week in the wilds of Canada with no electric, etc that my husband dragged me to so he could fish! The scenery was beautiful, but it was 5 hours to the nearest town, and that was after a 1 hour little motor boat ride!

Bet the fishing was great and in Canada only being 5 hours to the nearest town is kind of like being in the suburbs! Just joking, we actually do have some rather large cities here but not many. I only know of 6 that can boast a populstion of over 1 million.:)

I'm married and I am going on a cruise without my husband. My girlfriend and I like to do the same thing. Lay around the pool and relax, lay on the beach and relax. My husband's idea of a great vacation is NYC, because it has so much going on. So I travel where he likes to travel and do the things he likes to do. Then I do my thing. When I'm happy, were all happy.

Archived