Explorer-Bayonne-Boarding

Shorview75

We sailed on the Explorer in May. We arrived at the pier about 11:00. We sat in a brief line of traffic for 15 minutes, but it moved. We dropped off the luggage and by 11:45, we were eating oatmeal raisin cookies after checking in. We are onboard by 12:15. It went very quick and we were impressed with how easy it was to park. Next time, I would skip the luggage drop off and just wheel it from the car. Disemkarking was just as easy. We were on the NJ Turnpike less than an hour after our color was called. :)

Eric

Bayonne about a month ago. Arrived (by cab) at 11:45, waited in a short line to get to the "tent" to drop off our luggage (except our carryon). Then you walk over to an area where you checkin, get your seapass and they give you a number. After that you go inside a large warehouse type looking building. The number corresponds to the set of shuttles you will be boarding to take to the ship. We were on the ship at about 12:35, went to the Windjammer for lunch and at about 1pm they announced that your staterooms were now ready and available to inspect and drop off your carryon luggage.

It obviously could be later if the ship is delayed due to any of the weather out there happening right now.

We will also be sailing on the Explorer this Saturday, we are driving down from Rhode Island and should be at the terminal by 11:00 11:30 am, the check in usually goes pretty fast and boarding should start by 12:00 the latest. Your cabin will not be ready until 1:00 but the Windjammer is always open for lunch. I think we are in for a bit of rain on Saturday due to the hurricanes pushing off the coast but once we set sail and get into the Gulf Stream Sunday should be a nice day at sea. Well will see you on board have a safe trip to the pier:)

We cruised in July.

Left the house at 9:30am, arrived at the port by 11:30, unloaded the truck, DH parked and we were walking up to the check-in person at 11:45, no lines what so ever. We received bus #9 and were on the ship by 12:30.

You can park at any time but it is relative to when you board. (ie: you're most likely not going to want or need to park at 8 am, b/c you cant board Explorer at that time)

We have left from Cape Liberty 4 or 5 times now and it has always been accpetable. (easy!!) The only time we had to queue around the warehouses for 30-40 minutes was when Explorer was late docking back. Even with that short wait, the excitement level is so high the time passes.

As others have said, a breeze...Altho we have never received a # to board a bus.....so many talk about that but we never had that experience.

We have boarded at 11:45 and 12:30, lastly- 12:30 a cpl months ago.

No, it isnt 'pretty' but it is definitely a very easy port to leave from!

We arrived at 12:30 - well after the prior cruise had disembarked and there was plenty of parking and we were on the ship in a half hour.

I did not want to have to deal with tripping over passengers disembarking, nor did I want to have to worry about looking for parking spots that may have been taken by the passengers who hasn't gotten off the ship yet. We found 12:30 a perfect time.

Hi Shoreview75! I'll be driving to the port as well, and I'll arrive at 11:00 Saturday morning.

Quite a few of us are meeting at the Skybar overlooking the pool for sailaway. If it's raining we'll all be at Dizzy's Lounge.

Look for a crowd wearing mardi gras beads!

Hope to see you there! :D :D :D :D :D

Can anyone tell me how it is to get dropped off at the port? Leaving on a cruise in a few months and have the possibility of having someone dropping us off. Is there a passenger drop off area there?

Yes, you pull right up to the pier, drop your bags with a porter and go inside and check in.

I was worried about the whole process before my cruise in August, but it couldn't be simpler. you just follow the cars....there was spot ready for us to park in to drop off the luggage, and DH went and parked the car. He didn't bother with the shuttle, just walked back. We got in line, the DH had to go through the metal detector about 6 times before being cleared, got the SeaPass cards and we were onboard. All in all, the whole process didn't take 40 minutes. It went by so quickly, we were amazed we were onboard that fast.

They answer any questions you have readily, but it's very easy to do.

The whole thing with DH and the metal detector was rather funny, we were all laughing the whole time, including the inspector. Anything sets those off - a belt buckle, you name it.

This is great information. We are sailing out of Bayonne in December, driving up from Virginia the morning of.

Can I make a suggestion to you?;)

I would make a reservation at a hotel close by to the port for the night before your cruise. Since you are leaving in December, and coming in from Virginia you never know what kind of weather issues you may run in to. With a reservation, if bad weather is headed your way, you can come in a day early and not have to worry about missing your embarkation.:eek: If the weather is good, cancel and stick to your original plans.

We loved cruising out of Bayonne! We drove from home and found it so easy! They were very efficient and we were on the ship in no time. In fact DH left his glasses in the car, so it was back to the parking lot to get the glasses, and back to the ship again. So we did it twice in one day! LOL! Each time it was so easy. We would like to see more ships leaving from Bayonne. Loved it. Someone asked about a comparison to Canaveral -- we'd choose Bayonne any time. The port is nothing fancy to look at, but that's not why we were there. (The inside of the terminal was nice, and you can't beat the cookies and coffee they have available for you.)

Can I make a suggestion to you?;)

I would make a reservation at a hotel close by to the port for the night before your cruise. Since you are leaving in December, and coming in from Virginia you never know what kind of weather issues you may run in to. With a reservation, if bad weather is headed your way, you can come in a day early and not have to worry about missing your embarkation.:eek: If the weather is good, cancel and stick to your original plans.

i agree...PLUS traffic on 95 and/or the Turnpike, Del Memorial Bridge, etc can be a b!tC#.

click the link in my signature for lots of ideas on hotels, etc.

We arrived at 1:30, had maybe 20 cars in the line, and were onboard by 2:15. Hardly any wait at check-in line, and got on next bus to ship with no wait.

And to prior poster who asked about the booklet saying 2pm boarding: they ALL say that and yet I have boarded every cruise before 2pm. Trust us!

Just curious what the experienced cruisers would say about this...tomorrow when I drop off my luggage with a porter at Bayonne...will it ever be out in the elements? Do I need to worry about the Hanna rain drenching my luggage? I have never been to this terminal and don't want to find out I should have used "plastic comforter bags" to keep my clothes protected so that they wouldn't get soaked from rain coming through the luggage. If this terminal is anything like an airport terminal that throws your luggage around outside...ugh! I just don't want wet clothes!

You are the best, Pete...just like your August cruise, my DH and I are sailing tomorrow for our 20th anniversary too. We are leaving our DD and DS home - so I won't have any pole dancing stories to share on the boards. I truly loved your latest review with the pic of the pole in the middle of the room. I have been reading the boards for months - thanks for being so helpful - I am organized and ready to cruise because of you and the other helpful cruisers!:)

Archived