New dress code : Please help confused man

Kapuna

Who cares what the items in question cost? If I wear diamond studded flip flops that cost $1000, does that change the fact that they are flip flops?

The simple fact is that the cruiseline requests a certain level of attire and it's respectful to comply with it. Of course the staff will joke with you- they see that you are dressed as you wish and want your gratuity.

Well said.

Holy cow! Dress code crisis?? I gotta call my TA and cancel - this is NOT how I want to spend my vacation.:eek: We'll be totally miserable. We picked our cruise by itinerary (newbie mistake, obviously). The TA told us we'd be fine with smart casual...Looks like Celebrity is definitely not for us. No diamonds, tuxes and NO keeping up with the Joneses :(

Holy cow! Dress code crisis?? I gotta call my TA and cancel - this is NOT how I want to spend my vacation.:eek: We'll be totally miserable. We picked our cruise by itinerary (newbie mistake, obviously). The TA told us we'd be fine with smart casual...Looks like Celebrity is definitely not for us. No diamonds, tuxes and NO keeping up with the Joneses :(

On our Celebrity cruise in April we never ran into the hard core folks you see out here.

Overall folks were a little more dressed up then RCI.

But most folks on our cruise were 50+ so I think that had a lot to do with it.

And remember, 99% of the folks onboard don't post to Cruise Critic.

And many who do post spend more time "cruising" Cruise Critic then real cruising.:D

Not sure how long your cruise is, but there are usually two "formal" nights on a 7 day cruise on almost ANY line. You don't have to wear tuxes or diamonds, but out of respect for cruise guidelines and your fellow passengers, you should plan on a few "dressier" options. Dark suit and tie for gentlemen, a cocktail dress, or dressy pants and a glittery top, for women.

The fact that so many people ignore these guidelines is the reason there is so much activity/angst/anger on this topic. Your travel agent knows very well what the dress code is--maybe if he/she sensed you balking at the idea of "dressing up", they downplayed it to make the sale. There is ample information on the website on dress codes. Smart casual is the order of the day for every night OTHER than formal nights.

Having said that, if you absolutely do not want to comply, there are alternative dining venues aboard each ship where you can dine in smart casual clothing. Or you can stay in and order room service.

Congratulations on your first cruise. The two biggest points of contention with your fellow passengers will be compliance with the dress code and not being a "chair hog". If you can get by those two issues, you will have a wonderful time and make lots of new friends!

;) Cathy

Not sure how long your cruise is, but there are usually two "formal" nights on a 7 day cruise on almost ANY line. You don't have to wear tuxes or diamonds, but out of respect for cruise guidelines and your fellow passengers, you should plan on a few "dressier" options. Dark suit and tie for gentlemen, a cocktail dress, or dressy pants and a glittery top, for women.

The fact that so many people ignore these guidelines is the reason there is so much activity/angst/anger on this topic. Your travel agent knows very well what the dress code is--maybe if he/she sensed you balking at the idea of "dressing up", they downplayed it to make the sale. There is ample information on the website on dress codes. Smart casual is the order of the day for every night OTHER than formal nights.

Having said that, if you absolutely do not want to comply, there are alternative dining venues aboard each ship where you can dine in smart casual clothing. Or you can stay in and order room service.

Congratulations on your first cruise. The two biggest points of contention with your fellow passengers will be compliance with the dress code and not being a "chair hog". If you can get by those two issues, you will have a wonderful time and make lots of new friends!

;) Cathy

But of course dress guidlines are only debated in places like Cruise Critic.

How come I never hear people talking about dress guidelines aboard any ship?

I think folks out here make this out to be a far bigger deal then it really is onboard.

Most people dress up, a very few don't and even less split hairs like folks do out here.

Your fine on a Celebrity cruise with the smart casual, just find an alternate for the two formal nights. They used to request remaining in the formal dress for the entire evening but that is not the case any more so just go and enjoy yourself.

Your fine on a Celebrity cruise with the smart casual, just find an alternate for the two formal nights. They used to request remaining in the formal dress for the entire evening but that is not the case any more so just go and enjoy yourself.

Yes, they do request you remain in formal attire the entire evening. I just returned from Mercury to Alaska and it was stated in the Celebrity Today.

I have been on X cruises when they dressed for formal nights and when very few dressed. On a 12 night Summit Ultimate Caribbean back in 2004 (on formal night) someone commented "this is the worst dressed cruise I have been on" Most passengers were wearing "nice Sunday church clothes" and no more than that. On RCI last year I was wearing a long black velvet skirt and white blouse. A man asked if it was formal night. I said "no this is just me" So you see, some do and some don't, I do and that is just me. It is your vacation, you are the one who paid for it I didn"t. So please come, lets cruise, and be happy.

I'm just wondering if all the airline costs for extra suitcases will actually be what drives people to dress more formally. For our upcoming cruise, it will be cheaper for us to rent a tux then to pay for an extra suitcase. BTW, if we fly overseas are there two extra bag charges, one to get to the coast and one for the European flights? If so, that would be 4 extra charges.

It was also our observation, that of all the cruises we have been on, the one to Alaska was the one where people dressed more casually for formal nights.

I have always felt that no cruise lines really wants to hassle a passenger about clothing.

I never wanted to cruise due to the formality. Spouse to cruise Alaska for our 1st cruise. I did not rent a tux. I did wear a black suit, white shirt and black bow tie. In the pictures taken it appered I had a tux. We ended up dressing for a formal night 4x. Enjoyed every minute. Did not feel out a place. Looking forward to another one but longer. Living in a small town in Florida we donot get chance to dress. I donot think my dress stopped anyone from enoying the cruise.

That is contrary to the new dress code. The web site is down so can't quote it...

The website is up now and it says:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Which seems to indicate that that you don't have to be walking around all evening in your tux or suit..

I can tell you that I personally would MUCH rather see a man in a navy blazer and slacks than some of the get-ups I saw on "formal" nights from many women. I tend to adhere to the lower end of "formal"--cocktail dress or glittery pants outfit--but some women apparently feel that "formal" is equivalent to what one would wear grocery shopping back home. A short sleeve cotton shirt does not even come close. . .so wear your blazer with pride! At least you were paying attention!

Cathy

Not limited to women. Catch all the men in dockers and a wrinkled sport jacket that probably fit them when they bought it 20 years ago.

i think one of the reasons people get so touchy when it comes to dress code is because when cruising regulars really enjoy the chance to dress up on the ship for formal nights, they find it a little insulting when they see someone in the dining room dressed so casually. personally i think any kind of blazer/jacket with slacks is fine. that, to some people, is dressing up. many elder cruisers remember the days when traveling in general was an occasion to dress up for. watching movies set in the 60's (ie: catch me if you can with leonardo dicaprio...anyone see this and notice how glamourous it was to be a flight attendant, and the people asking for autographs from the pilots?) it kind of makes me wish things were still this way (i'm 23 and never had the chance to experience it). some people prefer to keep cruising as a higher class of travel where people still dress up formally and are offended when more and more people are making cruising a less glamourous way to travel. travel attire in general has changed, but cruising was always a classic way to go, and some people prefer to keep it that way. having been on a few myself i enjoy looking into the history of cruising and the mystique behind it. even though it was close to 100 years ago and dress in general during that time period was more elaborate, the first class passengers on the titanic were always dressed to the nines.

that's just my two cents. i personally LOVE dressing up, and even on casual nights i'll wear cocktail dresses (minus sparkles, that's for semi formal nights) and formal nights i'm decked out in long gowns. i miss dressing up for proms and dances and getting all dolled up, and this is the one time i still really have a chance to do this. for my cruise this december i truly am going to try and dress more "resort like" -- even if we're just getting off of the ship to go to a beach, i prefer to be dressed in resort wear. i don't think i am as passionate about some with the dress code, but if i see someone trying to entire the dining room for dinner in jeans or sneakers you better believe i'll be looking at them. i prefer for my boyfriend to be dressed in a tuxedo for at least one formal night, but i don't think he owns one (only a jacket that might not quite fit him anymore) and we certainly don't have the cash to shell out to go rent or purchase one. i'll make sure he's dressed appropriately though, as this is his first cruise.

12/14/08 solstice!! :) can't wait.

i prefer for my boyfriend to be dressed in a tuxedo for at least one formal night, but i don't think he owns one (only a jacket that might not quite fit him anymore) and we certainly don't have the cash to shell out to go rent or purchase one. i'll make sure he's dressed appropriately though, as this is his first cruise.

12/14/08 solstice!! :) can't wait.

Just a heads up. To help solve the dilemma of taking so many clothes and the expense of buying 1 suit and 1 tux, I purchased a very nice black suit. This could be worn at the old informal nights as well as the few events I have on land that require dressing up.

But, I then bought a tux shirt, bow tie and cummerbund. Wear those with the same suit and you'd swear it was a tux. You have to look close to notice the difference. It is not only cheaper than buying a tux, it sure saves on packing.

enjoy,

Duane

We just got back from the Infinity (Alaska) 9/12 - 9/19. On formal nights there were mostly suits with a few (very few) tuxes worn. A sports jacket would not have been out of place.

On "smart casual" nights the men wore polos, a few sports jackets (very few) and many folks wore jeans.

Just a heads up. To help solve the dilemma of taking so many clothes and the expense of buying 1 suit and 1 tux, I purchased a very nice black suit. This could be worn at the old informal nights as well as the few events I have on land that require dressing up.

But, I then bought a tux shirt, bow tie and cummerbund. Wear those with the same suit and you'd swear it was a tux. You have to look close to notice the difference. It is not only cheaper than buying a tux, it sure saves on packing.

enjoy,

Duane

Did the same thing. And another advantage - now we have a nice suit to get buried in!

How long must this dead horse be beaten?

You know it is so easy to use the search feature, and not keep bring this same old subject up. :rolleyes:

My father in law use to say "the more you stir sh*t the more it stinks." He was a wise man I miss him.

Any by the way just for kicks and giggles, one time on a Celebrity cruise I rented a Tux from Celebrity and wore it to formal nights.

I thought if they wanted to check and see if I am a woman go ahead. Hey I didn't have to pack extra dresses, or slips, push up bras, extra shoes, jewelery, etc. I just showered, put on make up and went, soooooo relaxing.

As women we subject ourselves to the extreme, wearing pumps for years that deform our feet, (and I and my mother have had the surgeries to prove it) endure painful hair removal, agonize over the dresses to wear, pack unnecessary extra clothing, spend so much time fixing our hair.

Every women wants to look pretty but at what cost, when men shower, shave and put on a tux that they can wear for years, women hate to be seen twice in the same dress on a cruise.

Hey ladies in the animal world it is the male that has the beautiful plumage and vies for the ladies attention, and the females only go into heat once or twice a year. Think about it.

I will rent a tux, add some bling, after all really is it that hard to attract men.:rolleyes:

Let the flaming begin.:)

I'm just wondering if all the airline costs for extra suitcases will actually be what drives people to dress more formally. For our upcoming cruise, it will be cheaper for us to rent a tux then to pay for an extra suitcase. BTW, if we fly overseas are there two extra bag charges, one to get to the coast and one for the European flights? If so, that would be 4 extra charges.

It was also our observation, that of all the cruises we have been on, the one to Alaska was the one where people dressed more casually for formal nights.

I have always felt that no cruise lines really wants to hassle a passenger about clothing.

I think that if your U. S. and oveseas flights are on the same airline and the same ticket, you are allowed two free checked bags each all the way. Check it out.

Bob :cool:

Hey ladies in the animal world it is the male that has the beautiful plumage and vies for the ladies attention, and the females only go into heat once or twice a year. Think about it.

Let the flaming begin.:)

OK. Don't mind if I do...

Let's try this one to your wild kingdom idea....I'm a sensual female human being and I don't care to behave like a *****. I'll dress without complaint, Thank You. :)

Archived