New dress code : Please help confused man

Kapuna

We are booked for back to back cruises on the Millenium and packing for such a long trip is a real problem with airline restrictions , etc .

Under the new dress code would a navy blue blazer with matching slacks and a dark tie ( white shirt ) be acceptable for formal nights ?

Any advice would be appreciated .

I cannot understand why on earth you are confused. Celebrity clearly states

"Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit." A navy blazer is not any of those. A navy blazer and slacks is casual.

You are a bit nasty here. Celebrity does not have a clear guideline for dress. I suppose they mean a white "dinner jacket." But I always thought that a white dinner jacket with black tuxedo trousers constituted a tuxedo. If this is true, why do they make a separate mention of "dinner jacket?'

You would be welcome to post your interpretation of the Celebrity dress code, but it should be informative, not insulting. You owe the OP an apology.

Bob :cool:

Flame away....I'm just trying to give the OP my observation of the realities of my experience of formal nights on Celebrity. Personally, I wear floor-length cocktail/gown, and hubby wears a tux. My young 20-something sons wear suits & ties.

That being said, if you are attired in a blazer, tie, dress shirt and dress slacks, you will be absolutely allowed in to the dining room and you will observe quite a number of other men in the same type of attire.

I cannot understand why on earth you are confused. Celebrity clearly states "Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit."

Actually you miss quote. X's website states the NEW dress code:

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

Nowhere does it say DARK suit. Ties are also no longer mandatory. So to answer the Ops question, you will need a jacket, but can drop the tie should you want to.

Best Regards,

Floris

I am new to cruising, going on our first cruise next Sept to Alaska. I don't understand why the dress code threads seems to bring out such passion that sometimes borders being down right rude to other posters. That being said, as a first time cruiser formal nights are something we are looking forward to. We are looking forward to taking our tux's on our cruise and helping our 27 year old daughter find the right apparel for formal night on our cruise. We have already spent several thousand dollars on the cruise so what's a few extra dollars for a suitcase. If the dress code is something that does not need to be followed then maybe Celebrity needs to reexamine the issues. As for me, how others choose to interpret the dress code is an individual issue and will not lessen my enjoyment of the experience. Still looking forward to our first cruise in Sept 2009.

Nowhere does it say DARK suit. Ties are also no longer mandatory. So to answer the Ops question, you will need a jacket, but can drop the tie should you want to.

That's quite a stretch of interpretation for FORMAL wear. Did Celebrity reinvent the staid dress code for formal wear when they changed their levels of dress? I don't think so!

That's quite a stretch of interpretation for FORMAL wear. Did Celebrity reinvent the staid dress code for formal wear when they changed their levels of dress? I don't think so!

Yes they did. They dropped the words "dark" and "tie". I'm just stating the facts, not whether or not I agree/disagree with the new policy.

Floris

I took a cruise last December on X. I wore a nice dress (not fancy). It is the type many would wear to work. That seemed formal enough to me, and I didn't notice any "weird" looks or feel like I was underdressed. It seemed like the vast majority did not wear fancy clothes.

If I had to start buying fancy dresses for a cruise, I probably would pick a different cruiseline. I thought the idea of a blazer was fine. Blazer/pants, jacket/pants, and suit all seem comparable to me. I guess it shows what I know. I think it is less of an issue on the ship than on cc.

We are booked for back to back cruises on the Millenium and packing for such a long trip is a real problem with airline restrictions , etc .

Under the new dress code would a navy blue blazer with matching slacks and a dark tie ( white shirt ) be acceptable for formal nights ?

With just a few responses to your inquiry, you've no doubt realized the incendiary nature of dress code threads!!! In no other threads do posters go to such great lengths to disect the meaning of words with the same expert acuity as they do responding for or against an inquiry such as yours.

With 32 X cruises under our belt, and close to twenty on other cruise lines, it is our observation that X cruisers tend to dress more in line with the dress code than do cruisers on some of the other lines. That said, in recent years even X cruisers have learned to put their own spin on what does or does not constitute formal.

You will absolutely be fine dressed as you asked.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Kapuna...

What you have suggested wearing is what I have always worn for formal nights on every Holland America Cruise.

I am booked for my first X cruise for February and will dress the same.

HAL is on par with X and I have never felt out of place as a good number of people attending formal night wore what you have suggested.

You will be fine.....don't get confused with everyone's interpretation - enjoy yourself and have a great cruise

Dave :)

Since 2004 I have been on five Celebrity cruises, in the Caribbean and in Europe. On every formal night I have worn a navy blazer, gray dress slacks, dress shirt and tie. I have always felt comfortable with this and have never felt out of place.

If this is how you wish to dress by all means go ahead and enjoy your vacation.

This will probably be my only post on this thread. I will not respond to posts flaming me and quoting the "dress code".

My recent experience on Infinity was that formal night attire was all over the place. I wore a tux both formal nights and my ladies all wore cocktail dresses.

Our table mates wore sports jacket, tie and slacks and dress and their girls wore cocktail dresses.

I thought they all looked very nice.

A few tables over was a man wearing dockers and a collared shirt. His teenage boys were wearing jeans and t shirts.

I won't get into trying to interpret or give my opinion on Celebrity's dress code but I will tell you that the dress varied widely.

About 10 - 15% of the men wore tuxedos. If I walked into the dining room dressed as you suggest I would have felt adequately dressed.

Hope that answers your question.

Oh and btw, enjoy your cruise :)

Ron

We were on the Aug 3/08 sailing of the Mercury to Alaska. The attire in the dining room was all over the place. On the casual nights, approx 1/3 were wearing jeans (yes jeans). On the formal nights, not too many were dressed to the 9's. Because of the abundance of children on board, formal nights just aren't that much of a dress up event for the families.

Your navy jacket will be just fine. Even the flip flops were acceptable.

One of the posters quoted "dark suit" as an option on formal night. Then said that a navy blazer does not fit. If a navy blazer and matching slacks does not constitute a "dark suit", then I'm confused. :confused: Navy is a dark colour, therefore to me, it's a dark suit and would be fine.

I think it's fine anyway, but I just wonder how navy and dark don't fit together, because in my mind, they do. I also don't usually notice that much what other people are wearing anyway, so...

Now I'll slink back to my corner, and not reply to these scary dress code threads any more...

I am new to cruising, going on our first cruise next Sept to Alaska. I don't understand why the dress code threads seems to bring out such passion that sometimes borders being down right rude to other posters. That being said, as a first time cruiser formal nights are something we are looking forward to. We are looking forward to taking our tux's on our cruise and helping our 27 year old daughter find the right apparel for formal night on our cruise. We have already spent several thousand dollars on the cruise so what's a few extra dollars for a suitcase. If the dress code is something that does not need to be followed then maybe Celebrity needs to reexamine the issues. As for me, how others choose to interpret the dress code is an individual issue and will not lessen my enjoyment of the experience. Still looking forward to our first cruise in Sept 2009.

Hi there, just to put another spin on this... it isn't always the $$. We are taking 3 cruises over a period 5 weeks in Europe with a TA included in November and December. We start in Venice. We LIKE formal nights but consider this scenario.... 2 adults, one 5 year old, a car seat, a large stroller (I know that sounds crazy, but better than expecting her to walk miles and getting cranky) 3 rolling carry on bags, and at least 3 large suitcases plus the usual purse, computer bag and camera bag. Now here we all are trying to get to a hotel in Venice, over foot bridges etc. and then we still have to get to the ship! We certainly are not going to hold everyone in the line up (loading our luggage etc up the steps) so we can use the free shuttle, so we are now in 2 cabs or trying to find a private driver with a van to pay 100 Euros to go less than five minutes.

Trying to pack for over 6 weeks (pre and post stays) for three, including entertainment for a 5 year old is pretty hard in 3 suitcases and 3 carryons. Especially if we have to consider going 'all out' for formal. We have no problem paying an extra $550 for 3 more bags... as you said this trip is costing thousands. But dragging them all over the place, including through 6 airports, 3 ports and to hotels in Seattle, London, and Venice... not to mention transportation to all the above... well it isn't always just the financial cost of taking extra bags. ;)

We probably will end up taking a couple of extra bags out of necessity. But I still don't think we will have room for a tuxedo and floor length gowns. Or the shoes!!! :eek:

One of the posters quoted "dark suit" as an option on formal night. Then said that a navy blazer does not fit. If a navy blazer and matching slacks does not constitute a "dark suit", then I'm confused. :confused: Navy is a dark colour, therefore to me, it's a dark suit and would be fine.

I think it's fine anyway, but I just wonder how navy and dark don't fit together, because in my mind, they do. I also don't usually notice that much what other people are wearing anyway, so...

Now I'll slink back to my corner, and not reply to these scary dress code threads any more...

The old dress code said dark suits, the new one does not so the whole discussion about dark suits is irrelevent. By the way, I agree with you about the Navy...

Here in the UK, 'Dinner jacket' = Tuxedo. We don't use the word Tuxedo (or Tux), although we understand what is meant; we use 'dinner jacket' or 'DJ'.

So my personal interpretation of "Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks" is that first & third elements mean the same thing.

I would regard wearing my navy blazer as being appropriate with 'Smart casual or above'; in fact the blazer with a shirt & tie was my 'informal' dress on Galaxy in 2007 & 2008, and the same blazer with an checked open-necked shirt was my 'casual' dress.

Archived