New dress code : Please help confused man

Kapuna

Formal means Tux, dinner Jacket, or dark suit....AND the accessories that go along with then including shoes.

The navy blazer thing fits into the OLD 'Informal' dress code where they did drop the tie requirement shortly before changing the dress code.

A navy blazer or sports coat with or without a tie would be considered smart casual or ABOVE under their new dress code, NOT formal.

As far as our last Med. cruise on Galaxy I would have to say that 95% of the men adheared to the dress code, most in tuxes some in dark suits and some in dinner jackets. Most women wore a cocktail dress instead of a gown, however we did see a few.

In speaking with the staff the entire purpose was to simply the dress code down to TWO levels, smart casual and above ( which includes the old INFORMAL if you wish to wear a sports coat ), and Formal which specifically means what it says. And while 'ties' are not mentioned, neither are shirts, socks, shoes, underwear...etc....Its common sense people, NOT brain surgery.

Dave:eek:

Yes Tuxedo was started in America like most things.:cool:

In a place called Tuxedo Park, New York which is North and West of New York City. On a rail spur.:D

The word is in your dictionary, so I am surprised usage of it is not done by you.

:o

Be glad a lot of blokes do not wear brown shoes with a Tuxedo..

Here in the UK, 'Dinner jacket' = Tuxedo. We don't use the word Tuxedo (or Tux), although we understand what is meant; we use 'dinner jacket' or 'DJ'.

So my personal interpretation of "Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks" is that first & third elements mean the same thing.

I would regard wearing my navy blazer as being appropriate with 'Smart casual or above'; in fact the blazer with a shirt & tie was my 'informal' dress on Galaxy in 2007 & 2008, and the same blazer with an checked open-necked shirt was my 'casual' dress.

Common sense...

As this thread will prove, there is nothing common about "sense".;)

To the OP: Celebrity will allow you to enter the dining room no matter how you are dressed.

However by no stretch of the imagination will a blazer and slacks be considered formal. It will be acceptable, it will allow you to pack fewer items but you will not be formally dressed.

Enjoy your cruise dressed any way you want, follow any suggestion you wish but the changing of the "code" will not change the definition of "formal".

For some, dressing up formally is part of the cruising experience. For some putting their own definition and spin to the code gives them pleasure. Many don't care one way or the other. If you don't want formal, don't dress formal but enjoy the experience.

As this thread will prove, there is nothing common about "sense".;)

To the OP: Celebrity will allow you to enter the dining room no matter how you are dressed.

However by no stretch of the imagination will a blazer and slacks be considered formal. It will be acceptable, it will allow you to pack fewer items but you will not be formally dressed.

Enjoy your cruise dressed any way you want, follow any suggestion you wish but the changing of the "code" will not change the definition of "formal".

For some, dressing up formally is part of the cruising experience. For some putting their own definition and spin to the code gives them pleasure. Many don't care one way or the other. If you don't want formal, don't dress formal but enjoy the experience.

Thank You.

Formal means Tux, dinner Jacket, or dark suit....AND the accessories that go along with then including shoes.

The navy blazer thing fits into the OLD 'Informal' dress code where they did drop the tie requirement shortly before changing the dress code.

A navy blazer or sports coat with or without a tie would be considered smart casual or ABOVE under their new dress code, NOT formal.

As far as our last Med. cruise on Galaxy I would have to say that 95% of the men adheared to the dress code, most in tuxes some in dark suits and some in dinner jackets. Most women wore a cocktail dress instead of a gown, however we did see a few.

In speaking with the staff the entire purpose was to simply the dress code down to TWO levels, smart casual and above ( which includes the old INFORMAL if you wish to wear a sports coat ), and Formal which specifically means what it says. And while 'ties' are not mentioned, neither are shirts, socks, shoes, underwear...etc....Its common sense people, NOT brain surgery.

Dave:eek:

Dave:

I am not defining formal but they have eliminated "dark" in the description of suit. Only pointing that out as a fact and not an opinion...

We are booked for back to back cruises on the Millenium and packing for such a long trip is a real problem with airline restrictions , etc .

Under the new dress code would a navy blue blazer with matching slacks and a dark tie ( white shirt ) be acceptable for formal nights ?

Any advice would be appreciated .

You asked if it would be acceptable, while maybe not to some of the cruisers on this board, I'm highly confident that Celebrity will not have an issue with it. You are dressed respectably. Is it formal?...No, but that's not what you asked. Wear it and have a great cruise. As you can see, somepeople get really bent out of shape about this but most cruisers are not that uptight about what other people are wearing.

You asked if it would be acceptable, while maybe not to some of the cruisers on this board, I'm highly confident that Celebrity will not have an issue with it. You are dressed respectably. Is it formal?...No, but that's not what you asked. Wear it and have a great cruise. As you can see, somepeople get really bent out of shape about this but most cruisers are not that uptight about what other people are wearing.

It is a shame that some people can't really enjoy the cruise because of what the other people ware. It's not only on Celebrity but on the other cruise lines as well but Celebrity seems to be the worst. :eek: :eek:

It is a shame that some people can't really enjoy the cruise because of what the other people ware. It's not only on Celebrity but on the other cruise lines as well but Celebrity seems to be the worst. :eek: :eek:

Most of us do enjoy their cruises no matter what people are wearing and only answer the questions of those seeking information. If you check back most of the threads and I have, they get off topic by those who choose to argue against the dress codes and not by those answering legitimate questions.

Why don't you rent a tuxedo through the cruise line. It's brought to your cabin, you don't have carry it on or off the ship. It includes the tuxedo,shirt,tie,shoes and accessories. you can order it here:

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

Why is it that people that know the cruiseline guidelines for formal attire try to stretch the meaning to meet what they want to wear. There are other cruise lines that offer little or no formality, why not try one of them. It boils down to what the cruise line is going to allow you to wear in the dining room on formal night. If you have been on this planet long enough, you know what formal wear is.

A suit is a matching coat and pants. A sport coat does not match the pants. If you own a blue blazer and matching blue pants that is a suit. However almost every Blazer I have seen worn has non-matching pants. Also a suit jacket when worn with non-matching pants becomes a sport coat. A dinner jacket is not a sports coat. It is usually a white formal jacket worn with tuxedo pants. Think James Bond!

Formal Dinner Jacket

http://www.buy4lesstuxedo.com/Dinner-Jackets.html?gclid=CO7uwcTWypUCFR8ViQod2iohiA

I think the OP is working to conform to the guideline with the idea of dark separates worn in a formal atmosphere by including the wearing of a white dress shirt and a tie to pull it all together.

I personally think this approach is fine and appreciate the effort made, which is more than I can say for some who post here trying to avoid the effort. Thumbs up to you OP!

Many thanks to all who have replied to my inqiry !

This is our first time on Celebrity ( perhaps I should have mentioned that ) and the brochure we have from them appears to be out of date regarding dress codes .

We live in Hawaii where formal wear means a nice Aloha shirt and ties are rarely seen .

Aloha !

I can tell you that I personally would MUCH rather see a man in a navy blazer and slacks than some of the get-ups I saw on "formal" nights from many women. I tend to adhere to the lower end of "formal"--cocktail dress or glittery pants outfit--but some women apparently feel that "formal" is equivalent to what one would wear grocery shopping back home. A short sleeve cotton shirt does not even come close. . .so wear your blazer with pride! At least you were paying attention!

Cathy

In your eyes it constitutes formal but nowhere does it state that it a requirement & left to the discretion of the individual.

Ummm....nowhere does the code say that SHOES are requred with the suit but any reasonable person would agree that they are. This being said, 'tie' and 'suit' would both be part of FORMAL attire for men.

Many thanks to all who have replied to my inqiry !

This is our first time on Celebrity ( perhaps I should have mentioned that ) and the brochure we have from them appears to be out of date regarding dress codes .

We live in Hawaii where formal wear means a nice Aloha shirt and ties are rarely seen .

Aloha !

A little of topic but we've found that the Hawaiian people are the friendliest people compared to any island we've ever visited. It's to bad your so far from the US mainland or we'd be there more often.

If you own a blue blazer and matching blue pants that is a suit. However almost every Blazer I have seen worn has non-matching pants.

If by Navy Blazer one means one with metal buttons, it is generally thought these days that those should not be worn with matching pants. And you don't see those sold with pants as a suit. That is why you almost always see those worn with non-matching pants. I for one would never consider wearing that style of navy blazer with navy pants.

We are booked for back to back cruises on the Millenium and packing for such a long trip is a real problem with airline restrictions , etc .

Under the new dress code would a navy blue blazer with matching slacks and a dark tie ( white shirt ) be acceptable for formal nights ?

Any advice would be appreciated .

Kapuna, did you grab your life jacket yet?? :)

Again, after you sort through the rants, rude comments, and on going controversy of the dress code, you WILL be fine with what you intend to wear. You will see many others dressed the same way.

One other poster actually had a good suggestion.....you could rent a tux from celebrity. The cost is actually pretty reasonable.

Enjoy your cruise and hopefully the rudeness won't stop you from coming back to the forums and contributing. :D

I have sailed on celebrity several times most recently on a 14 day Baltic cruise in May. I usually do not pack a but rather a tie and a camel hair blazer and a cashmere sweater which cost more than most of the suit’s the men are wearing. I would say half the time I wear the tie if I feel like it. I have never had a complaint once from a member of the staff. Several head waiters however have joked with me about how every formal night they have passengers yell at them for not kicking out passengers that they feel are not dressed to their standards what is with some people.

I have sailed on celebrity several times most recently on a 14 day Baltic cruise in May. I usually do not pack a but rather a tie and a camel hair blazer and a cashmere sweater which cost more than most of the suit’s the men are wearing. I would say half the time I wear the tie if I feel like it. I have never had a complaint once from a member of the staff. Several head waiters however have joked with me about how every formal night they have passengers yell at them for not kicking out passengers that they feel are not dressed to their standards what is with some people.

Who cares what the items in question cost? If I wear diamond studded flip flops that cost $1000, does that change the fact that they are flip flops?

The simple fact is that the cruiseline requests a certain level of attire and it's respectful to comply with it. Of course the staff will joke with you- they see that you are dressed as you wish and want your gratuity.

Just disembarked from Summit in Barcelona yesterday, where it was 30 degrees plus everyday. By the time one has watched a show and danced awhile in the Rendevoux Lounge before dinner, things are pretty hot.

By the 2nd formal night, many men were carrying suit and tux jackets over their arms to dinner, or not even bothering with the jacket.

Who cares what the items in question cost? If I wear diamond studded flip flops that cost $1000, does that change the fact that they are flip flops?

The simple fact is that the cruiseline requests a certain level of attire and it's respectful to comply with it. Of course the staff will joke with you- they see that you are dressed as you wish and want your gratuity.

Thank you!

Just disembarked from Summit in Barcelona yesterday, where it was 30 degrees plus everyday. By the time one has watched a show and danced awhile in the Rendevoux Lounge before dinner, things are pretty hot.

By the 2nd formal night, many men were carrying suit and tux jackets over their arms to dinner, or not even bothering with the jacket.

shame the a/c isn't good enough on the ships when its so hot outside!

The way it sounds from most of you, you all care! The OP asked if what he wore would be ok, and the answer to the question is Yes! Why it is not you that is making up the rule what to where but, who enforces it. If =x= wants to stop this man from coming in they have the chance to, but they won't. Fashions change and in the USA ties are even going away from men in the work place. Casual Fridays are showing up Mon-Thurs. and even the Men's wearhouse that sells suits is selling more blazers than suits.

If you don't like what someone is wearing on board challenge the Criuse officails and ask them what there understanding of the policy is. I bet you would find different answers for differnet ships.

It's not what the outside cover looks like but, what is in the inside. If someone sits with you and your on a table all wearing formal and they are underdressed, most likely they will eat next time in their room of cafe. No one wants not to look like the people they are with.

If you look over at a table that has all Semi-Formal looking Formals, then ask to be seated somewhere else. I don't think it will ruin your dinner. On formal nights I like to pay the extra dollars and eat in the Speciality Dinner resturant where most people are dressed to the hilts! We like it for we only cruise maybe every other year, and I like taking me wife of 25 Years to the Prom, Ball, and fancy dinners that I never could not knowing her in my youth.

Be kind people, some folks just don't know how to dress.

Now lets talk about never turning your fork....

I was glad to read Celebrity was changing the dress code. On our cruise last year, people ignored the Formal Nights and the dress codes for all other nights. On the Formal Nights, we had several "gentle"men show up with

untucked shirts and no ties. This was at the beginning of the cruise so it should not have been that they could not fasten their slacks.

It does ruin the experience for the rest of us, especially when these individuals show up the the expensive photos that are taken on these nights.

I believe the code was made more liberal for most nights of the cruise to conform with the daily practices of most people today, though I still see many complaints about blue jeans noy being allowed in the main dining room in the evening. The one or two formal nights, if you would prefer not to dress you can eat in the alternative dining room and dress as you wish. There are options for everyone. Women don't get a free ride on this especially since it is much easier for them to pack the sort of outfit needed.

On our last cruise (crossing) on the QM2 men were turned away from the Dining Room if they were not dressed appropriately. If a jacket was required, some were available from the matre d. They still have the informal, semi formal, formal type evenings.

Archived