Brown water on Enchantment

CTCruzin

Well, it's odd... the water that was served at meals was crystal clear, as were the ice cubes. Weird... for us, it was inconvenient, but I imagine if you were trying to shower or bruth your teeth... eewww.

Memo to self... let the desk know WHILE we're still on the ship, haha!! A bottle of wine and cake would have been appreciated by us, much less a credit.

I did bring this up about the clear water and ice in the dining room, and they said that it comes from a different source which they replenish whenever they're in port (I guess this includes Mexico as well). DW and I actually made a video (get your minds out of the gutter), which shows where the water comes out of the faucet and makes a dark brown spot in the sink. Ummmmm....I kinda don't want THAT on my teeth!! We do plan on writing a strongly worded letter to RCCL as well with a phone call to a higher up. Somebodys got to complain to them so it may as well be us. Hopefully this will give a heads up to anyone that plans on sailing the Enchantment in the future. DON'T DO IT!!:eek:

We were on the Liberty last week. We also had that urine smell in our bathroom. I kept thinking that maybe the floor was being mopped with used water from another cabin. To help with the smell, I used a spritz of lavender water every time I entered the bathroom.

Toward the end of the week, we had noticed that some decks, as well as the top deck smelled like garbage, not sewage, though. Our table mates nicknamed the ship "the stinky ship." :rolleyes:

On our return trip, we sat behind a woman in the airplane who was complaining about her cruise on the Enchantment. She said that the food was terrible and the service not the best, but I didn't hear her say anything about the brown water.

I'm actually getting sick reading this!!!! I am VERY particular about my water and use bottled water to brush my teeth on ALL vacations, cruises or other!!! I would have really freaked out if I had brown water on my cruise. I really feel bad for the OP.:( (And NO ONE should ever have to shower in any other place but their room)!!

I'm just curious, did the water remain brown or clear up after being run for a few minutes? Sounds to me like they have some sort of rust problem in their plumbing, in which case fixing the problem will be difficult because they have to find any- and all of the pipes which are rusting.

I'm sorry, I think that's totally disgusting and unacceptable.

I am normally an RCCL cheerleader, but this has me upset and stumped at how they could let something like this continue. Simply put for me?? GROSS!!

Simply put, it is rust in the pipes. This is an old barge. The only way for RCI to completely rectify the situation would be to 1. pull the ship out of service for at least a month and dismantle the entire plumbing system and replace all the pipes, or 2. send the ship off to the breakers in India. Carnival has been battling the exact same issue with it's Holiday ship. Most people on the Holiday claim that the water clears up after a few seconds and is not a real problem. As far as making you ill, the water should be sanitary to drink, it will just have the rust color due to old pipes. Personally, I would not hesitate to shower with it, but I would drink the bottled water.

Was the brown water unsanitary? Doesn't sound to it to me like. Did anyone get sick? I've been on cruises where there has been a brown water problem and it was really no big deal. It’s more of an eye appeal thing than anything else. I think everything Royal did for you was enough.

OK then, what if a glass of that brown water was put in front of you at dinner? What would you do? Please drink it up if you still think it is so sanitary...

Simply put, it is rust in the pipes. This is an old barge. The only way for RCI to completely rectify the situation would be to 1. pull the ship out of service for at least a month and dismantle the entire plumbing system and replace all the pipes, or 2. send the ship off to the breakers in India. Carnival has been battling the exact same issue with it's Holiday ship. Most people on the Holiday claim that the water clears up after a few seconds and is not a real problem. As far as making you ill, the water should be sanitary to drink, it will just have the rust color due to old pipes. Personally, I would not hesitate to shower with it, but I would drink the bottled water.

Agree with you about 90% :p .

I definitely wouild not call the Enchantment (1997) an old barge, and older ship, yes, but she is far from the same age as Carnival's Holiday (1985).

I definitely agree about the water being safe to shower in though. I live in a older city, we get brown water every now and then, it has to do with whenever they flush out 1 of the fire hydrants inthe area, its no big deal. Perfectly safe to shower in.

Most likely just as safe to drink as well, due to the ick factor, i probably wouldn't myself, but, has nothing to do with it being unsafe, and only to do with it being icky.

No reason to get all dramatic over it everyone.

To the OP = I think your compensation was more than adequete.

OK then, what if a glass of that brown water was put in front of you at dinner? What would you do? Please drink it up if you still think it is so sanitary...

If it was unsanitary (unsafe) im sure the CDC would have jumped in by now.

They do have the right to hold a ship (being a government agency) for such "unsanitary" conditions.

The ship still sails every week.

If it was unsanitary (unsafe) im sure the CDC would have jumped in by now.

They do have the right to hold a ship (being a government agency) for such "unsanitary" conditions.

The ship still sails every week.

Thanks, this is very reassuring. I know our government would never allow anyone to get sick or get hurt,

This is our same government that took how many weeks to figure out it was the bacteria laden jalepeno peppers that were killing people, after the whole country threw out their tomatoes?

Yeah, go ahead and drink the brown water... a little extra iron won't be a problem.

A - you are making much more of a deal about it. B - I would be very happy with the compensation. Rusty water, especially if you are not drinking it, is not a health concern over the time period of a few days. So may be you got a little more iron in the diet from them cooking with the rusty water.

Wow....you get 10%...We got NOTHING.....am I upset by it, NOPE...:) We had a fabulous cruise!!!!

The water on Enchantment has been brown for sometime.....the excuse's given seem to change with each cruise....:rolleyes:

We showered in it to.....like a few weeks ago and we are A OK....nothing happened....Dam, it didn't even make my tan darker...:( :p

It wasn't all that bad...if you ran the water for a little while it did clear.

We got our own water from the drink stations for drinking purposes, brushing our teeth and washing the face....not a big deal.

Like most everyone else on the cruise.....we just rolled with it.

We never even gave compensation a thought.....for what????

We were on the September 28th sailing (4 days) cabin 8585 and had the brown water. It didn't matter how long you let it run, it remained various shades of brown and yellow. There was no way we were going to brush with that (showering was bad enough) so we used the bottled water in the room.

On the second day our cabin attendant asked us how everything was. We told him everything was good except for the brown water and that we were using the bottled water to brush with (hoping to plant a little seed about not charging us). He said they had to replace some pipes on the ship but he didn't know when it would be fixed.

On the third day I sent a note to Guest Services about the brown water and the use of the bottled water in the cabin. Heard nothing back from this.

On the final evening I went to Guest Services and requested a copy of my seapass charges. I was happy to see only one charge for one bottle of water ($2.25) on my account. Unfortunately, when I received my final print out the next morning, all the bottled water charges were on there - not that it was a lot, we only used about 8 bottles and the charge isn't going to break me, but a little consideration would have been nice.

When I filled out out my evaluation sheet I also identified the brown water problem.

I know they also had this problem on deck three (had friends staying there).

All the water on the ship was shut down at 9:00am on the day we were getting off. They are obviously trying to do the corrective work in sections, but it seems like it has been going on for a while and is continuing.

We received no notices regarding the water before or during our cruise. Maybe that policy is changing now.

It didn't ruin our cruise but could RCCL handle it better? I think so.

John

I can't believe anyone is trying to justify brown water on a cruise ship. It is disgusting. And it has been going on for months? I would not book a cruise on this ship.

And the CDC does not check the conditions of every ship when it ports in the US. They only get involved when there is a major outbreak of a virus, in those cases it is the cruise line invloves the CDC by notifying the agency.

Oh yeah.... we set sail in 4 days on Enchantment... and sounds like we can expect lovely brown water.... not thrilled about this one....

If I were you I would bring a case of water just on the chance that the problem is not fixed and they would charge you for the bottled water...;)

Good luck.

I can't believe anyone is trying to justify brown water on a cruise ship. It is disgusting. And it has been going on for months? I would not book a cruise on this ship.

And the CDC does not check the conditions of every ship when it ports in the US. They only get involved when there is a major outbreak of a virus, in those cases it is the cruise line invloves the CDC by notifying the agency.

My point exactly. If it is so insafe, then poeple would be getting sick by the dozens. ya know what, they are not.

Thanks for making my case for me.

Thanks, this is very reassuring. I know our government would never allow anyone to get sick or get hurt,

This is our same government that took how many weeks to figure out it was the bacteria laden jalepeno peppers that were killing people, after the whole country threw out their tomatoes?

Yeah, go ahead and drink the brown water... a little extra iron won't be a problem.

Our government may have its issues, may not be totally perfect. But, ya got any better ideas?.....

I didn't think so.....

I agree with a lot of the different points made. I think that the water is gross, and I would not drink it. RCI needs to make a point of fixing it.

Obviously though, it's been a problem for quite a while now, and there have been absolutely no illnesses attributed to it (unfortunately, we are now giving money seekers an idea, who will claim they were sick after getting off the Enchantment...). I think the water is safe. Rust in pipes or even too much iron, which was mentioned in another thread about Enchantment, could be the culprit.

I am considering this ship for my trip next year, but I do think I want this issue addressed before I go on it, just for peace of mind. I'm not worried about getting sick from it, I just don't want to be using water that is not clear.

I think it's fair for RCI to give you a percentage off coupon on your next trip, and maybe a little something on the current trip, like with the OP.

I'm getting from this it is certain cabins? I was on Enchantment in early May and we saw and heard nothing about water problems. We will be on again in November- I sure hope it is solved by then.

Is there a list of which cabins seem to be most affected? We'll be on deck 7.

We were on the August 28th sailing (4 days) cabin 8585 and had the brown water. It didn't matter how long you let it run, it remained various shades of brown and yellow. There was no way we were going to brush with that (showering was bad enough) so we used the bottled water in the room.

On the second day our cabin attendant asked us how everything was. We told him everything was good except for the brown water and that we were using the bottled water to brush with (hoping to plant a little seed about not charging us). He said they had to replace some pipes on the ship but he didn't know when it would be fixed.

On the third day I sent a note to Guest Services about the brown water and the use of the bottled water in the cabin. Heard nothing back from this.

On the final evening I went to Guest Services and requested a copy of my seapass charges. I was happy to see only one charge for one bottle of water ($2.25) on my account. Unfortunately, when I received my final print out the next morning, all the bottled water charges were on there - not that it was a lot, we only used about 8 bottles and the charge isn't going to break me, but a little consideration would have been nice.

When I filled out out my evaluation sheet I also identified the brown water problem.

I know they also had this problem on deck three (had friends staying there).

All the water on the ship was shut down at 9:00am on the day we were getting off. They are obviously trying to do the corrective work in sections, but it seems like it has been going on for a while and is continuing.

We received no notices regarding the water before or during our cruise. Maybe that policy is changing now.

It didn't ruin our cruise but could RCCL handle it better? I think so.

John

Sorry - had the wrong sailing date. We sailed on August 28th not September 28th (I have to get back to the future)

I know my post will strike a nerve with some, but I would like to express my opinion on this.

I've read reports of faulty plumbing/brown water/pipes breaking, toilets overflowing not just on this cruise line but on others, and there always seem to be those that post messages like, "well, did you have a good cruise? Did you enjoy the other aspects of your trip?" "You could have used public bathrooms/facilities"...whatever.

I find that completely insulting. No one should ever have to tolerate sub-standard, unsanitary conditions for days on end like they're in some third-world country when they're paying hard-earned money for what is supposed to be a relaxing, enjoyable vacation.

If the ship is older, and plumbing is an issue, then the cruiseline should institute standard provisions for back-up accomodations to move people into. And they need to be places that won't also be beset by the same problems as the original rooms.

So, in short, since you were subjected to unsanitary conditions through no fault of your own, I do think you should receive more in the way of compensation.

Complete agree with you here! I have to laugh when people say to use the public showers and bathrooms. If I wanted to use public showers I would stay in a campground.

I guess these people that suggest you use the public bathrooms have never had to get up to go in the middle of the night. :rolleyes:

Archived