Brown water on Enchantment

CTCruzin

I'm sailing EOS Oct 4th and I'm really concerned about the brown water comments posted here. I emailed RCCL two days ago expressing my concern and asked them to read the posts here and provide comment. They responded today acknowledging receipt of the email with a promise of follow up to come. I'll post their response once I receive it.

Like many have said before me, clean water in my stateroom is not a perk it's a basic requirement

IVLMM,

If you read through this thread, you'll see that people have indeed complained to RCCL about this problem. They have been asking RCCL for compensation and have been getting offers of a 10% discount on a future cruise. In addition, the onboard staff are apparently well-aware of this and would presumably relay this information on to the appropriate officials.

I know my post will strike a nerve with some, but I would like to express my opinion on this.

I've read reports of faulty plumbing/brown water/pipes breaking, toilets overflowing not just on this cruise line but on others, and there always seem to be those that post messages like, "well, did you have a good cruise? Did you enjoy the other aspects of your trip?" "You could have used public bathrooms/facilities"...whatever.

I find that completely insulting. No one should ever have to tolerate sub-standard, unsanitary conditions for days on end like they're in some third-world country when they're paying hard-earned money for what is supposed to be a relaxing, enjoyable vacation.

If the ship is older, and plumbing is an issue, then the cruiseline should institute standard provisions for back-up accomodations to move people into. And they need to be places that won't also be beset by the same problems as the original rooms.

So, in short, since you were subjected to unsanitary conditions through no fault of your own, I do think you should receive more in the way of compensation.

I agree 100% and since I will be on this cruise Sept 25 and have been reading these posts now for months with the same problems of brown water as last week, I am seriously worried about the conditions as I am in the new middle section of the ship. I have read numerous posts where the cabins have been in the stretched section. Also, to all, I have called RCCL on 3 separate occasions to inquire into the situation and all 3 times was told the water lines have been cleared and all is well, but we know that is not true from a post here of last week, so I am going to bet they have a severe issue that cannot be fixed because they cannot dry dock her to drain the lines. One cannot be sure that brownish water is sanitary under any conditions because we do not know what the real problem is ......

A few days ago I sent an e-mail to the CDC regarding the brown water issue on the Enchantment. They responded with the general information about the ship's last inspection ( I had already looked at that information on the CDC website http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/ ), but they are passing the information on to the Vessel Sanitation Program. I also gave them a link to this thread for reference.

We were on the same cruise in cabin 2060. We had discolored water (I'd describe it as more yellow than brown). I would have preferred clear water, but we enjoyed our cruise. We found the food and service to be just fine, too. And I tend to be a complainer...maybe I'm getting mellow in my old age!;)

We were on Enchantment in July in cabin 3586 and had no water issues. Guess it's hit or miss.

Enchantment is a beautiful ship with wonderful staff members. We are sailing her again next July. Hopefully all the issues will be resolved.

I actually put a hold on this cruise for, what I thought, would be a great last minute cruise..... kind of a warm-up for my upcomming panana canal cruise in November. After reading this thread I will be cancelling...:(

I would imagine a post like this would get RCI's attention pretty quick!

I'm happy to see that folks are following up with RCCL, altho it shouldn't be necessary!

My instinct says that if one "complains" on board, then RCCL considers the problem resolved, and, therefore, we need to followup to get this issue resolved!!

So, I can only hope RCCL does pay attention to this forum.

I have 3 cruises booked with RCCL and am also a stockholder. (Made mention of this to C&A also when I called...) If my experience on EOS is similar, I will definitely reconsider my future cruises.

Now - - I'm wondering if insurance purchased covers the cost of this inconvenience - or hygiene concerns???

Does anyone have any idea about that?

see this info also from the CDC (altho it's dated 4/08) http://wwwn.cdc.gov/vsp/InspectionQueryTool/Forms/InspectionSummaryView.aspx?Inspection=10717432

A little perspective, folks, as previously stated on this thread, too. Here's the facts from a water district web site:

"Brown, red, orange, or yellow water is caused by rust in the water. The different colors can be attributed to varying chemical oxidation states of the iron (rust) and by varying concentrations of the rust in the water. The major source that can cause water to be rusty: the water pipes in your house, apartment, or business.

However, in areas of low flow where aging pipes contribute rust and sediment, discoloration of the water can occur.

If an unusual flow of water through the main occurs, this sediment can become disturbed and temporarily suspended in the water causing a brown, red, orange, or yellow color. This discolored water is not a health threat. "

Agreed, it's unpleasant, but it's NOT unhealthy. I'm taking a case of bottled water next week on the Enchantment. I agree that it's a good idea to report it, also, because the more people that complain, the better the chances are they will correct it during the next dry dock. Correcting usually comes from a major flush of clear water for a long period of time through the pipes.

By the way, complaints should also be communicted to the HOUSEKEEPING MANAGER as well as Customer Service. The Housekeeping Mgr is in charge of the condition of your cabin, and might call in Engineering to see if they can do anything; maybe force water through the pipes a day in port.

We were on this ship 3 times, the last was in February, and never noticed a problem. We stayed in the middle section the last 2 times, in inside cabins. We are returning this week, so I'll let you know.

Please let us know when you get back and have a wonderful time. What cabin are you in this time?

A little perspective, folks, as previously stated on this thread, too. Here's the facts from a water district web site:

"Brown, red, orange, or yellow water is caused by rust in the water. The different colors can be attributed to varying chemical oxidation states of the iron (rust) and by varying concentrations of the rust in the water. The major source that can cause water to be rusty: the water pipes in your house, apartment, or business.

However, in areas of low flow where aging pipes contribute rust and sediment, discoloration of the water can occur.

Agreed, it's unpleasant, but it's NOT unhealthy. I'm taking a case of bottled water next week on the Enchantment. I agree that it's a good idea to report it, also, because the more people that complain, the better the chances are they will correct it during the next dry dock. Correcting usually comes from a major flush of clear water for a long period of time through the pipes.

Peggy, it might not be unhealthy, yet it is really gross :( That might be accepted on Easy Cruise or in a Motel 6, not on a RCCL Cruise Ship IMO :)

###

Peggy, it might not be unhealthy, yet it is really gross :( That might be accepted on Easy Cruise or in a Motel 6, not on a RCCL Cruise Ship IMO :)

###

Oh, I agree completely. It's just that this thread was going on the "health hazard" track, and it's not a hazard.

Gross and yucky: absolutely!! I'm on her next week, and my bottled water is going with me. If it ends up in my cabin, I'll be on the phone with Housekeeping or Engineering pronto!

if its rust that is making the water brown that means more iron is in the water, its a very important health hazzard if someone suffers from Hemacroymatosis, which means they already have a very high iron content in there system, if that level is increased it can have serious consequences so therefore it can be a health hazzard

Update

Rccl have this morning admitted there is a maintenance problem with the water system onboard the Enchantment, They are telling me it will be fixed within the next 3 voyages. however they wont guarantee this, and will not allow any transfers at this late stage (due to travel 13 oct)

This is a response from RCCL regarding my complaint,

Dear *********,

I am writing to you as per our previous telephone conversation about the current water discolouration onboard of the Enchantment of the Seas. Please note that we have had notification from the Guest Services manager onboard the ship advising us that there is current maintenance work being carried out.

This involves the changing of some water pipes and there has been times when the ship has been in port where the water service has been shut down. This is done in port to minimise the amount of guests affected as most guests disembark the ship. The ship is currently advising guests that once the water service has been restored, they may experience some discolouration of the water. We are requesting people to let the faucets and shower run for a few minutes before using.

The water is perfectly safe for drinking, and is being regularly tested by an Environmental Officer to meet the highest United States Public Health standards. Please note that as per the Chief Engineer onboard the ship that the problem should be corrected within the next three voyages, therefore shouldn't occur on your sailing, however we cannot guarantee this entirely.

Kind Regards

Tim Wall

OSU Coordinator

twall@rccl.com

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity and Azamara Cruises

Aviator Park, Building 2

Station Road

Addlestone

Surrey KT15 2PG

So they advise its going to be fixed before my cruise but they cannot guarantee it or allow me to transfer or cancel my cruise,,,,,Come on RCCL play fair because if I get on the ship and the water is brown its going to end up in a legal litigation!

[

If an unusual flow of water through the main occurs, this sediment can become disturbed and temporarily suspended in the water causing a brown, red, orange, or yellow color. This discolored water is not a health threat. "

If you think that colored water is safe - why are you taking a case of water with you? I like my water CLEAR and not to be shut down for hours while I am on board. Besides the inconvenience, not having a working bathrooms are health hazardous.

If you think that colored water is safe - why are you taking a case of water with you? I like my water CLEAR and not to be shut down for hours while I am on board. Besides the inconvenience, not having a working bathrooms are health hazardous.

Isabella: please READ this thread. I have stated I will NOT drink this water in my cabin, but I have researched it pretty thoroughly, and as I posted above, and as several other posters have stated, the general population is NOT at risk, even if we did choose to consume the water. Yes, the 0.5% of the population (and, yes, I researched that, too) who carry the hemochromatosis gene, of which about half actually develop the condition, DO have to be careful.

This is a response from RCCL regarding my complaint,

Dear *********,

I am writing to you as per our previous telephone conversation about the current water discolouration onboard of the Enchantment of the Seas. Please note that we have had notification from the Guest Services manager onboard the ship advising us that there is current maintenance work being carried out.

This involves the changing of some water pipes and there has been times when the ship has been in port where the water service has been shut down. This is done in port to minimise the amount of guests affected as most guests disembark the ship. The ship is currently advising guests that once the water service has been restored, they may experience some discolouration of the water. We are requesting people to let the faucets and shower run for a few minutes before using.

The water is perfectly safe for drinking, and is being regularly tested by an Environmental Officer to meet the highest United States Public Health standards. Please note that as per the Chief Engineer onboard the ship that the problem should be corrected within the next three voyages, therefore shouldn't occur on your sailing, however we cannot guarantee this entirely.

Kind Regards

Not entirely true - they shut down the water on the day of disembarkation at 9AM, when ALL passangers were still on board, because ship was not cleared yet. Nobody could use bathrooms at that point...........

We will be on the ship at Thanksgiving. Hope all is well by then :) We are bringing family members that have never cruised and I would hate to think of this as their first impression.

Yippee! Happy dance, Happy dance! At long last, someone from the boards is cruising on Enchantment over Thanksgiving.

I've started 3 RollCall topics and all have slipped off the page because no one posted.

This will be DH's first cruise and I am also hoping all goes well.

:D

I know my post will strike a nerve with some, but I would like to express my opinion on this.

I've read reports of faulty plumbing/brown water/pipes breaking, toilets overflowing not just on this cruise line but on others, and there always seem to be those that post messages like, "well, did you have a good cruise? Did you enjoy the other aspects of your trip?" "You could have used public bathrooms/facilities"...whatever.

I find that completely insulting. No one should ever have to tolerate sub-standard, unsanitary conditions for days on end like they're in some third-world country when they're paying hard-earned money for what is supposed to be a relaxing, enjoyable vacation.

If the ship is older, and plumbing is an issue, then the cruiseline should institute standard provisions for back-up accomodations to move people into. And they need to be places that won't also be beset by the same problems as the original rooms.

So, in short, since you were subjected to unsanitary conditions through no fault of your own, I do think you should receive more in the way of compensation.

I completely agree with this post. One should never have to shower in a spa or gym instead of comfort of a stateroom.

We too had brown water issues on our Enchantment cruise, however resolved by end of day 1, so I never complained. The rest of our cruise was wonderful. If I would have gone through what original poster went through with the brown water, I would have found it completely unacceptable. I dont think it is too much to ask to have clean water coming through the faucets on your vacation.

Archived