GMoney

> When this becomes the accepted way of doing things, you should

> take a few years break from cruising RC. When you return, you will

> find a price on everything on the DR menu. There will be a little note on

> the menu - "For our guests preferring complementary dining, the

> Windjammer Cafe is open for dinner from 6-9PM". This is what's wrong

> with offering this steak. RC can raise cruise fares as needed to cover

> costs as the market will bear, but I say leave the essential cruise

> experience (including the DR) unchanged.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, charging for steak seems like a wedge into the end of free dining--a testing of the waters to see if cruisers will accept it. More "premium" items, slowly over time, might be introduced. Till anyone can hardly remember what it was like when everything was free. Dessert, like others have said, could be next. It does seem tacky, but so does charging for soda.

And I don't know if there was ever a time when alcohol was 100% free and included on cruise ships. Was there? If you're not providing free booze, you're not providing an all-inclusive experience to begin with. And was there ever a time when there was no such thing as a specialty restaurant that you paid extra for? The specialty restaurant, I'm guessing, is also a wedge; to get people acclimated to paying extra for something they're accustomed to getting free (namely, food).

Another possible scenario is tiered dining; much more likely since, as others have said, you've got huge dining rooms needing to be filled. People already pay for premium cabins--e.g. balconies and up. I can well imagine a menu where people pay more to choose from a higher tier of food items. How this would be pushed through, I don't know--RCL and CCL would probably have to trend toward this together. Like how nearly all of the airlines started charging for checked luggage at about the same time.

As outrageous as it might sound, I'd probably be fine with dining gratis in the Windjammer most nights--if it kept the cost of my cabin low. But that's me. I use cruise ships as floating hotels--the entertainment and the food outside of the buffet is just a plus. Personally, I'd rather splurge for a couple of nights in a fantastic specialty restaurant and have "good enough" food in the buffet the rest of my trip.

On the other hand, the long term trend for fuel is up. There are only so many gimmicks the cruise lines can use (slowing down, etc) before they exhaust their cost savings; so they're going to have to do something. That's what businesses do, no matter how much they value their customers.

My preference, if I had a choice, would be that they charge for entertainment rather than for extras in the main dining room. On my last cruise, I was so busy with days in port that I didn't care about the shows, and I've never really been one for clubs. I'm actually surprised that they don't already have surcharges for entrance to the "hippest" clubs. But those who enjoy the clubs and entertainment wouldn't like that at all--and I couldn't blame them for not liking it.

Something will probably have to give unless the price of conventional fuel goes down and stays down.

Since this is a brand new offering, here's what I suggest. Order the regular steak entree' which is included in the price of your cruise. If you are not satisfied with the quality of that steak, you can always upgrade to the Chops steak.

Or order the Chops' steak and get a really good one. When someone orders a second entree doesn't it effect everyone else at the table, like those who come late?

Whenever we're on a ship with a Chops or Portofinos, we always go - sometimes several times during a sailing. I definitely think that experience is worth the extra money.

But it bothers me that they would charge $15 more in the dining room for a decent steak. Granted, the meat in the dining room is usually pretty bad, but I would rather they raise the price of the cruise by $10 and improve the quality of the meat they serve, than presenting it in such a tacky way on the menu.

When someone orders a second entree doesn't it effect everyone else at the table, like those who come late?

Not really, The waiters are accustomed to delivering multiple entree's to tables. I have, on occasion, requested that my steak be replaced with one with a different degree of doneness.

Or, the poster may decide to upgrade to the Chops steak on a different evening.

What is it with you people and this rude and nasty stuff today. Different opinion = rude and nasty?

My last sentence was not a statement thus can not be rude or offensive. It was suggestion "how about.....". But lets not go into english language. How about your statement:

You are denying me the right to have an opinion? The same right you are taking for granted? Kettle...pot......

Your statement:

Since this is a statement I could consider this as condescending and rude towards those who are NOT diamond and not have 4 future cruises booked. So you know better because you are diamond?

I usually don't go into what level I am but this family is diamond as well and has...5 or 6 cruises booked with 3 more NCs ready to be put in action.

Now we are into "my daddy is bigger than your daddy". Not a fun game.

Having said all that: the $14.95 steak seems to be only an issue on CC. Our entire table didn't even blink once and the offer is so small that one of our table mates didn't even see it until day 2. So, it is hardly tacky.

IT IS MY OPINION that it does not cheapen the MDR experience.

Huh???? You totally misconstrued my post. Oh well.......

I know I'll probably tick some people off with this post, but here goes....the most enjoyable part of the Chops experience for me was the steak! I will say that it was one of the best steaks I have ever had, but the rest of the meal was average. The atmosphere was more romantic and intimate for sure, but I don't know that we really needed to pay $25 pp for that. I'm glad we experienced it once, but I highly doubt we'd ever do it again.

I think I'm one of those people who would enjoy ordering a 'Chops' steak while in the main DR without going to Chops. Why shouldn't people have an opprotunity to order a specialty steak in the DR? Some say that it cheapens the experience; I think it just gives you choices.

Whenever we're on a ship with a Chops or Portofinos, we always go - sometimes several times during a sailing. I definitely think that experience is worth the extra money.

But it bothers me that they would charge $15 more in the dining room for a decent steak. Granted, the meat in the dining room is usually pretty bad, but I would rather they raise the price of the cruise by $10 and improve the quality of the meat they serve, than presenting it in such a tacky way on the menu.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely right!

Absolutely. I will be very interested to see how the waiters are handling this. I mean pushing the extra cost item(s).

:D:D

That's why I am curious to know how the waiters will handle inquiries.

Like, the menu says a sirloin is 'no extra charge' but the strip loin is $15. Whats the difference? Maybe if they were offering a tenderloin (filet) the difference would be more apparent, but they are not.

HaHa! Exactly....The menu should read the following to avoid confusion between the two steaks:

"Available Everyday Items....Sirloin: A thin poor quality steak along the lines of a steak-um or "The ultra magnificant worth every penny and specially prepared CHOP'S WONDER STEAK! If you want only the best then this is the steak for you"

Ugh, everytime I think of it, it makes me shake my head. SOOOOO AWFUL!

I am currently on the Majesty. If you don't like Patrick's photo, wait until Friday night, and I'll post mine and try to make you happy. :rolleyes:

The waiters have NEVER MENTIONED the extra charge steak. Not a peep, not one syllable. They are NOT *pushing* it AT ALL.

It has been ordered at our table many times in the past six days, and it has been praised and enjoyed every time by every one.

All of our food has been very good to excellent in the Main Dining Room on this cruise.

I have NO complaints so far about this offering.

As someone else mentioned, you may not even notice the offer, even though it is "boxed" on the menu.

Some panties need to be un-wadded.

:rolleyes:

I am currently on the Majesty. If you don't like Patrick's photo, wait until Friday night, and I'll post mine and try to make you happy. :rolleyes:

The waiters have NEVER MENTIONED the extra charge steak. Not a peep, not one syllable. They are NOT *pushing* it AT ALL.

It has been ordered at our table many times in the past six days, and it has been praised and enjoyed every time by every one.

All of our food has been very good to excellent in the Main Dining Room on this cruise.

As someone else mentioned, you may not even notice the offer, even though it is "boxed" on the menu.

Did they also offer a decent steak on the regular MDR menu for no extra charge?

Doesn't bother me at all - just more choices, which is fine. My choice!!

For steak lovers who enjoy the company of the companions at their table or are with a group, they can have their choice without visiting Chops which their group may not wish to do.

I believe that RCCL really missed something here - they should have offered Maine LOBSTER every night for an additional charge - could have raked in the dollars!!!!!

Doesn't bother me at all - just more choices, which is fine. My choice!!

For steak lovers who enjoy the company of the companions at their table or are with a group, they can have their choice without visiting Chops which their group may not wish to do.

I believe that RCCL really missed something here - they should have offered Maine LOBSTER every night for an additional charge - could have raked in the dollars!!!!!

But do they also offer a decent steak at no extra charge? Otherwise what is the "choice" exactly? Pay extra for a good steak or no steak at all in the MDR? I always remember a steak being offered on the MDR menu at all times. Why can't they offer a decent steak in the MDR without charging more? Like I have said previously, this is not about the money but about the way it is being done.

I mean, for me, if Royal Caribbean all of the sudden decided, hey we are going to start charging for the "really good" entrees in the dining room. Otherwise, "the choice" is no charge, but don't expect much!!! To me, that is just tacky. Maybe I am in the minority here and everyone else is falling lockstep into the nickle and dime tricks of the trade. Ok, I guess, but what a shame. Again, it is not about the charges or the extra money. I would rather pay more up front for better food in the MDR than have this kind of thing happen.

Are we next going to have to pay for Shrimp Cocktail or else get "mini shrimps" on our salad for "free"? Will the appetizers become an "extra charge"? How about the soup? Do you really want the soup for $3.95? Or skip it? How sad. Not to mention tacky.

If they get to this point with charging for "good" food in the MDR and letting people eat the ...well....the...you know...crap!!! Well, then frequent cruisers like me will eat in the specialty restaurants every night and the MDR as we know it will fade away. How sad, because the concept of the MDR is really great. But the "Mall" mentality takes over, I guess.

Huh???? You totally misconstrued my post. Oh well.......

Ladylouwho -- Do not worry. Your post was perfectly clearly, fair and valid. :)

Your intent was later distorted in a ham-handed and pathetically obvious way, but that reflects solely on the person who posted that reply. :rolleyes:

A careful reading of this thread and the $14.95 steak thread shows very clearly which group is given to rudeness, snippy remarks, personal attacks ... and then "who, me?" bleatings about being victims themselves. I think more and more CC members are seeing this every day. :D

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam!

Say "No" to Fain

Thanks for the update Carol. Hope that you're enjoying the Majesty.

A typical night in the Main Dining Room on a Royal Caribbean Cruise sometime in the near future. Dinner for two.

Appetizer: Shrimp Cocktail 2 @ $4.95 ea.

Oxtail Soup 2 @ $3.95 ea.

Caesar Salad 2 @ $3.95 ea.

Bread Basket for 2 $1.50 surcharge

Chops Steak Medium Rare 2 @ $14.95 ea.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes for 2 $4.95

Seasonal Veggies for 2 $4.95

Coffee or Tea $1.00 pp.

Flourless Chocolate Cake 2 @ $2.95 ea.

Total cost of dinner in the MDR for one night, two people = $74.90

$74.90 X 7 nights = $524.30

Of course cocktails, wine and soda are extra. In addition, there is a $5 pp. charge for show tickets. Free show tickets will be available in the back balcony 5 minutes before showtime.

Look for discount coupons in your Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Plus Crown & Anchor coupon books. (2 for 1 appetizers, etc.)

Just something to think about folks!

A typical night in the Main Dining Room on a Royal Caribbean Cruise sometime in the near future. Dinner for two.

Coffee or Tea $1.00 pp.

Of course cocktails, wine and soda are extra. In addition, there is a $5 pp. charge for show tickets. Free show tickets will be available in the back balcony 5 minutes before showtime.

Look for discount coupons in your Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Plus Crown & Anchor coupon books. (2 for 1 appetizers, etc.)

I would think the people for the $14.95 steak charge will love this new menu. They would probably like it better if the charge would be $74.90 each not for 2.

Oh and BTW folks, Does anyone REALLY think that the $14.95 "Chops" Steak on the MDR menu on a couple of RCL ships is going to taste the same as one ordered in Chops? Yeah, right. The Chops Chef, from his/her intimate restaurant, is going to fire up a few hundred steaks (per seating) to speed over to the MDR in addition to his/her regular duties for his/her customers at Chops. If the new MDR "Chops" steak is an upgrade to the usual steak fare on the MDR menu, well than good for RCL. Their food has been slipping in the MDR for years. But charging for it?????? Eeeeewh! How tacky.

Oh and BTW folks, Does anyone REALLY think that the $14.95 "Chops" Steak on the MDR menu on a couple of RCL ships is going to taste the same as one ordered in Chops? Yeah, right. The Chops Chef, from his/her intimate restaurant, is going to fire up a few hundred steaks (per seating) to speed over to the MDR in addition to his/her regular duties for his/her customers at Chops. If the new MDR "Chops" steak is an upgrade to the usual steak fare on the MDR menu, well than good for RCL. Their food has been slipping in the MDR for years. But charging for it?????? Eeeeewh! How tacky.

Right on!!

Coffee or Tea $1.00 pp.

Great news!! Look at all those NEW CHOICES!!!! Hooray!!! Finally, RCL is giving us what we asked for!!

This calls for a round of KoolAid for the whole house!!

~~~~

Ladylouwho - That was a terrific post. :D :D

The encouraging news is that when we separate out the hard-core KoolAiders, we see that the overwhelming majority of posters on the steak threads see through the smoke ... they recognize this $14.95 chicanery as an ominous development.

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam!

Say "No" to Fain

Did they also offer a decent steak on the regular MDR menu for no extra charge?

But do they also offer a decent steak at no extra charge? Otherwise what is the "choice" exactly? Pay extra for a good steak or no steak at all in the MDR? I always remember a steak being offered on the MDR menu at all times. Why can't they offer a decent steak in the MDR without charging more? Like I have said previously, this is not about the money but about the way it is being done.

I apologize. I was posting at 2:20 A.M., and I see now that I mistyped.

We all ordered the REGULAR steak many times, and everyone enjoyed them completely.

On the final night of our week on the Majesty, I asked Vazley, our waiter, how often people ordered the $14.95 steak.

He said that the dining room served 15 to 20 "Chops" steaks PER CRUISE, total, out of about 2500 passengers.

I apologize. I was posting at 2:20 A.M., and I see now that I mistyped.

We all ordered the REGULAR steak many times, and everyone enjoyed them completely.

On the final night of our week on the Majesty, I asked Vazley, our waiter, how often people ordered the $14.95 steak.

He said that the dining room served 15 to 20 "Chops" steaks PER CRUISE, total, out of about 2500 passengers.

I would never ask how you could enjoy this REGULAR disguised "ranch steak" because food is always subjective, thats why there are lines outside of HomeTown Buffet and for the $10.95 filet at the Zizzler. However, everytime I have ordered it (Jewel, Grandeur, Monarch, Vision, Legend) I had to return it because I could not get a saw to cut it.

My favorite meal is a good quality "choice" or "prime" steak cooked properly and if I had to pay $14.95 for it I would be 1 of the 20 or so passengers that did so, thats just me.

I would never ask how you could enjoy this REGULAR disguised "ranch steak" because food is always subjective, thats why there are lines outside of HomeTown Buffet and for the $10.95 filet at the Zizzler. However, everytime I have ordered it (Jewel, Grandeur, Monarch, Vision, Legend) I had to return it because I could not get a saw to cut it.

My favorite meal is a good quality "choice" or "prime" steak cooked properly and if I had to pay $14.95 for it I would be 1 of the 20 or so passengers that did so, thats just me.

This is NOT the ranch steak of gratefully-long-gone-days. It is a very nice sirloin, with good texture and flavor. It is also cooked exactly to order.

This is NOT the ranch steak of gratefully-long-gone-days. It is a very nice sirloin, with good texture and flavor. It is also cooked exactly to order.

I know its no longer called the Ranch Steak, its just what I call the alternative sirloin everytime I have tried it. Perhaps, like many other things the quality and preperation varies from ship to ship. All I know, last Dec. on the Monarch 6 people at our table ordered the steak and 6 people returned the steak as un-eatable. At the table next to ours a man was finishing his steak and I asked hem how he liked it " fine, not bad at all". Again, subjective," one mans steak is another mans shoe leather".

BTW, did you also ask the waiter how many people on ave. return the steak per cruise. Because, I really believe this decision is not to add revenue but to offer a choice and address all of the "beef" complaints in the MDR.

2344729400077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

You should be able to see the "regular" alternative steak listed below the "Chops" steak.

Hey Carol

I had the Black Angus alternative on Friday. On Sunday they had a New York strip on the regular menu, same description as the $14.95. I think they had to use the steaks they haven't sold.

Got back last night. My review is up.

Archived