Amadeus or Avalon--we know which we prefer now

retiredslug

We've recently returned from our second river cruise this time traveling from Amsterdam to Basel on Avalon Tapestry including the spectacular Mosel River. We enjoyed a full week in Delft, Netherlands pre cruise, visiting Brugge, Brussels, Haarlem, Gouda, and Alkmaar. Last summer we cruised for seven nights on the Amadeus Amalegro, Budapest to Nuremberg, then on to Prague. Now we feel we have a good basis for comparison. We thoroughly enjoyed both cruises and would probably cruise with either company again (the itinerary rules). However, for those of you on the fence here are some of the differences we experienced.

• One major difference was the quality and comfort of the beds. Amadeus was a clear winner here, even after we had a pad added to our very hard Avalon bed.
  • A plus for Avalon was the mini bar or refrigerator in the cabin. I don't believe we had one on Amadeus.
  • Amadeus clearly wins again when comparing nighttime entertainment. On the seven night Amadeus on the Danube, IIRC, we had some entertainment each night. Each ship featured a keyboard player (musician on Amadeus was far superior) but Amadeus also brought aboard local entertainment and lecturers. Avalon only offered five nights of entertainment (beyond keyboard musician) and this was on a 14 day cruise. Very disappointing.
  • Avalon regains some points at dinnertime. After the entrees had been served, the waiters approached each table with additional helpings of entree items giving passengers the opportunity to have more of an item or try an item they hadn't originally selected. Good idea.
  • Service and attitude--Amadeus was a huge winner. No ship can deliver perfect service but at least Amadeus gave it a great effort. Avalon servers gave us the impression they were using a game clock to get us in and out as soon as possible. Avalon certainly needs to retrain its servers in discretion and tact. Also, encouraging them to smile occasionally would go a long way. We were shocked early in the cruise when the servers came by asking for our napkins when we had barely finished our meal. Then the lights started blinking--sending a clear signal that the restaurant was closing. We recognize that they must prepare for the morning meal but give me a break! Our group of six felt this approach was offensive.
  • Both cruise directors were effective, efficient, but not personable.
  • At lunch Amadeus offers a combination of served entrees and buffet style. Avalon was entirely buffet style.
  • Minor differences--

1. Safes are generally included in all cabins but on Avalon we were told we had the one cabin that the safe was missing. It was supposed to be replaced in a few days but somehow that never occurred nor were we offered a cabin with a safe even though cabins were available.
  2. Wine was generously served with dinner but on Amadeus they also include a bottled German beer, Warsteiner, as an option. Avalon did not.
  3. Amadeus gets rave reviews on this board for its multiple showerheads and we agree.
  4. Amadeus also offered a "slow walking" group on its excursions--much appreciated by the less mobile. Avalon offered none.
  5. Amadeus has bicycles. Avalon does not.
  6. Avalon also needs to correct a deficiency at the breakfast buffet. Offerings in warming trays such as pancakes, waffles, and French toast were barely warm and never hot. Again, very disappointing.

So, based on these distinctions we will certainly choose Amadeus for our next river cruise if the itinerary is right. And, who knows, maybe Avalon management might read these boards and improve their product in a fiercely competitive environment. We might cruise with them again on an especially inviting itinerary and simply lower our expections.

Bill

Thank you SO much for your review and comparison. I was leaning toward Amadeus, but still hadn't quite made up my mind, since the two itineraries are so similar. I have been waiting for a clear-headed review from someone who has used both companies.

I think I've just made up my mind! :D

Haven't cruised Avalon but we cruised Amadeus last year Amsterdam to Budapest, our first rivercruise. 14 days

We did a lot of research before picking Amadeus. We had a comfortable room, food and service were excellent, nightly entertainment (even a beer tasting). We went off ship one night and walked to a wine garden. Had a wine tasting, lively music. Wonderful change.

I think the only thing Amadeus could improve on would be dinner seating. Groups that "did their own thing" during the day wanted to catch up with everyone at dinner. However, because of one "open" seating, a large volumn of cruisers "lined up" 20-30 minutes ahead of them opening the doors to the dining room so they could all sit together. Amadeus refused to reserve tables. It really caused some tempers to flair, every night.

But, I would HIGHLY recommend Amadeus!

Well said...

We cruised with Amadeus last year and Avalon this year. Your comparisons are right on the money. We would only cruise with Avalon again if Amadeus didnt offer the itinerary that we wanted. We heard several others on our Avalon cruise that had cruised with Amadeus before saying the same things.

Thanks for the kind responses.

BigGuy25--We were on the Avalon Tapestry but since you are on a new ship your experience could be entirely different. To us the service staff attitude should enhance the cruise, not detract. We simply felt that we were frequently "in the way" of staff as opposed to being guests.

Bill

retiredslug

Thanks for the review - we too were on the Tapestry but this time last year. Interested to know - who were the cruise & hotel directors on your cruise? We had Dragan and Thomas. Did you have the "play" where the passengers were co-opted to be part of the act?

retiredslug

Thanks for the review - we too were on the Tapestry but this time last year. Interested to know - who were the cruise & hotel directors on your cruise? We had Dragan and Thomas. Did you have the "play" where the passengers were co-opted to be part of the act?

Aussieflyer--Sorry to report I do not have the information regarding Hotel Manager and Cruise Director. The CD was a female--I remember that. Our entertainment (?) included:

• Karaoke
  • Woodcarving demonstration
  • DJ request night, oldies
  • Classical trio (the highlight)
  • Ship's crew show

How's that for excitement? If that doesn't make you want to jump up and call your TA, not sure what will.

Bill

For AussieFlyer ... 5 years ago we took a Globus Central Europe trip (land) .. there were so many people signed up for the trip that we were split into two groups ... Dragan was the leader of the other tour group. He was fun to be with ... interesting to see that he is doing river cruises now ...

retiredslug

We had the woodcarving (in preparation for the visit to the clock shop) and the classical group (but we were a little late and could not fit into the lounge to see them:( - from all accounts they were excellent - wonder if it was the same group). We also had the crew concert. There was also music in the lounge and some people danced.

The "play" was sort of a skit thing with passengers being nabbed to act out parts - I did not enjoy it and it felt a little like a school camp.

Most nights we would have a quiet drink and go to bed as the early starts meant no late nights!

webfoot - interesting that Dragan was on the land tour - most people thought he was very good.

Hello All,

New to River cruising, but not to Cruising.

Would love to know differences with the lines. Thanks for the Amadeus vs Avalon comparability. In your opinions, and I welcome them all... where does Viking fit into these quality, price, itinerary servicewise? Thanks for the help.

One of the best posts ever. THANKS

Thanks for the comment, CincyAL. Now maybe it's time to give Uniworld a shot. We'd love to cruise the Douro River in Portugal and I think both Amadeus and Uniworld offer those cruises. Will have to wait until 2010 though.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Wow ... I'm so glad that Avalon is reviewing this forum. It gives me hope that they will not only do their best to ensure that the cruises in the future are done with a higher standard, but also that they will ensure that the fume problem with the Scenery are also taken care of. Thanks, Avalon ...

Thank you for this very complete review.

Last year we traveled on Uniworld on the Rhone and it was wonderful..new ship and we made some very good friends...

We are thinking of the Rhine and this was helpful...can you please tell me more about the accomodations...the beds on Uniworld were queen and comfortable...I don't want twin beds...we still like to cuddle!!

Is the ship newer?

Has anyone seen that the prices are coming down...I'm thinking the longer we hold out the better the deal..what's everyone's thought on this.

Many thanks for these boards..

Very helpful!!

Tina

Hello,

We returned in September from a trip on the Amadeus Amacello - and I'm not sure if Bill had a queen sized bed with Amadeus, but our twin sized beds were extremely hard. One recently retired army gentleman commented that "these aren't beds, they're army cots"! Maybe the queen sized beds are different.

Re the comment "we often felt in the way of the service staff". In particular, on the Amacello, the front desk staff was often abrupt and/or indifferent. They frequently appeared to be too busy on their computers or counting cash from the ship’s store to be courteous to passengers. The housekeeping staff were great. The cruise director was efficient and worked very hard, but she was frazzled and stressed and it showed!

The less positive aspects to our trip, however, were far outweighed by the overall wonderful experience.

Lynn

Thank you for the insight--we have the highest standards of service and delivery for Avalon, so these comments will help us to follow-up and ensure that every detail of our cruise experience exceeds expectations.

It's reassuring to know that Avalon Waterways does in fact monitor these boards. We can only hope that all of the river cruise companies are "lurking" out there.

Bill

Archived