Alitalia Airline

jp1982

Not the greatest idea. It sounds like they are really having some problems from what I have read online. Any way to switch airlines, QUICKLY?

I am sure none of us mean to scare you, but this airline is really on shakey ground, and it could get a lot shakier in the next few days. :eek:

I took AlItalia in 2005 to Italy and I felt the plane was about to fall apart. It was one of the most uncomfortable flights I've ever taken. The seats were just hurrendous. Imagine sitting on a princess mattress without an egg crate for 8+ hours and not being able to move. ;)

Back in 05 they were also in conjunction with Delta. On our flight back from Fiumicino to JFK we were on a Delta flight and when we showed up at the gate there was another AlItalia plane waiting for us. Blah!

I don't know much about their financial situation but our plane was a very old boeing 767. Try to book a flight that uses either an Airbus or a 777. At least then you'll have a shot at getting a newer plane with modern amenities.

Hope this helps.

-Andrew

We took airitalia earlier this year from Rome to London. Its true their plane was old and a few things were broke (like armrests or trays). However, I found their service pretty good compared to a lot of airlines. They've been in financial trouble for a couple of years now but seem to be chugging along. Seems most airlines are in that position today, its just we don't always know about it (like zoom recently). I'd book with them again if the price was right but make sure that I did it through my credit card so I can get the refund if anything happens.

I wouldn't book with Alitalia right now. It's worse than just a little financial trouble.....they are seriously facing being grounded within the next two weeks due to not having enough money to buy fuel, not to mention possible strikes because 5 of the 9 unions are refusing to negotiate on cutting back jobs, salaries, etc.

I was considering flying Alitalia to Rome from Atlanta but I was able to locate a Delta flight that was less than $100 more. For the peace of mind, I booked Delta.

Has anyone ever used Alitalia Airlines to fly to Italy? My fiance and I are using them or our honeymoon and I just wanted some feedback about them. Thanks!

Get out now.They could not even afford the fuel for the planes this week.

We flew back to the UK from Buenos Aires via Rome in January - can't say it was one of the best experiences we have had. Found the staff surly and they tended to stay in the galley unless needed to serve food/drink. No water offered during this lengthy flight unlike othe airlines we ahve been on. Staff were conspicuous by their absence when a fight broke out between 2 passengers. Plane from Rome to London didn't appear to be in very good condition. As others have said , noone is trying to scare you but as they have been in financial difficulties for a couple of years now so I feel it would be a good move to go with another airline.

Hi There,

Why not book your flights through Princess, the charter company Princess use TITAN is very good real plates and all that , plus the cost was very good as well.

Plus if an airline goes down then its Princess's problem to look after you, as you are buying a UK package.

yours Shogun

Just some more info...

I was looking at flights through British Airways (JFK to Heathrow to Fiumicino) and they were only about 100 PP more expensive than Alitalia (JFK to Milan to Fiumicino).

I have no idea your exact travel dates or where you're flying out of but I would choose British Airways any day. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

-Andrew:)

Has anyone ever used Alitalia Airlines to fly to Italy? My fiance and I are using them or our honeymoon and I just wanted some feedback about them. Thanks!

Our experience on Alitalia was interesting - we flew them in 2007 Boston to Rome. Flying these days is a challenge at best and I found some good and bad onboard. The food was good (for what it is) but the onboard entertainment was abysmal.

One thing to keep in mind is that once the crew tends to the food and drinks, you are on your own. They go back to an area near the galley and close the drapes and go to sleep. They leave one or two crew members in the galley but they don't really do anything. They leave the "bar" (service cart) out in the galley and you help yourself, it was something I'd never seen before.

I found the cabin temps to be very warm and as the flight went on I kept waiting for the service cart so I could get some water. In fact I had a very scary episode where I nearly passed out. My husband got me up and out into the aisle and guided me back to the galley area which is how we discovered the service cart but at that point I stumbled and nearly fell over. It was at this point that Alitalia rose to the occasion - actually it was one crew member going above and beyond. In an instant he placed a blanket down on the floor of the galley, he dimmed the lights, turned up the a/c, mixed me a glass of sugar water and had me lie down - he gave me a cold compress and proceeded to hold my my legs up for about 15 minutes until the color returned to my face and I felt better. I was very impressed.

On our return flight I was better prepared and knew to just go help myself to water from the cart in the galley. Even with that I'm not sure I'd choose Alitalia again.

Alitalia has been forced to repay massive Government grants by the EU and is in dire straites as others have pointed out. From Manchester there will be plenty of flights to Italy depending on where you are going or even liverpool.

have you tried Air Italy? we had to fly home from corfu with them after a 30 hour delay when our aircraft(not Air Italy) developed a fault, the service was great and the staff really good.

We are sailing on the Grand from Rome on 10th November and when we booked our travel agent - Thomas Cook - told us our flights would be Alitalia from Heathrow. Now I am wondering whether they will be.........

So long as you use a credit card to book you should have no problem just in case they do go bust. The last news I heard was that the Italian Government were stepping in with massive aid to keep them afloat. I would be very suprised if they let the national flag carrier go down the drain.

With regard to service levels they have never been one of the best. For your info, ALITALIA stands for, Always Late In Taking Off Always Late In Arrival..

So long as you use a credit card to book you should have no problem just in case they do go bust. The last news I heard was that the Italian Government were stepping in with massive aid to keep them afloat. I would be very suprised if they let the national flag carrier go down the drain.

I don't think you've kept up with the latest news. The government is not allowed to further bail them out. The Italian group that was going to invest has walked due to union intransigence. In a last ditch effort, the bankruptcy administrator has asked for public bids. It really does not look good at this point.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iXsixX3Al7D6PKuEmqBG1zmiQjzQ

For sure, it is a classic game of brinkmanship and the unions may well come back to the table, but it better happen soon....

Thank you everyone. I'm so nervous at this point. It's $200 for each ticket to change to another Delta flight. I called Delta tonight to see if they could help us out to change flights, but they said "no" because Alitalia hasn't officially gone under. Well, what are they going to do if they "go under" two days before our honeymoon? It's way too much money to totally change airlines. I'm calling my travel agent in the morning, but I just don't know what to do. :confused:

Thank you everyone. I'm so nervous at this point. It's $200 for each ticket to change to another Delta flight. I called Delta tonight to see if they could help us out to change flights, but they said "no" because Alitalia hasn't officially gone under. Well, what are they going to do if they "go under" two days before our honeymoon? It's way too much money to totally change airlines. I'm calling my travel agent in the morning, but I just don't know what to do. :confused:

Although it seems like a like of money, it does not compare to what you paid for your honeymoon cruise, or your peace of mind. I would find a way to switch airlines, no matter what it takes. Good luck with your TA but I am doubtful that they are going to do much about this. Hopefully things will work out OK. I would cancel a shore excursion or two to make up the difference it that is what it took to come up with the difference in flights. But that's just me! ;)

Switch. Now.

People warning you that the airline may only last 2 weeks are being optomistic.

Is your flight with them or is it a code share from another airline? Code shares (another airline puts its name and number on the flight - UA4555 for example - but you fly on Alitalia equipment) will be honored by the booking airline, but if your ticket is with Alitalia, you might have to fight for a refund. In any event, there's a good chance you'd miss out on your flight.

You can wait and hope that your insurance/cruise line/travel agent can straighten it out if it goes boom, or you can proactively make the switch now, which will guarantee you a seat. Remember, even if Delta honors your ticket change if Alitalia goes under, it doesn't mean there will be seats available to get where you want to go once everyone else is clamoring for them too.

I live here in italy and I also have alitalia tickets R/T to Fort Lauderdale for my upcoming cruise on Emerald. Today I am cancelling these flights 8and booking on another airlineand since they are rimbursable (with a penalty fee of 150€) I optimistically hope to receive a refund (but i believe there is a very slim chance of this). this is the major news item these days in Italy and the comments made by the players involved are not promising at all. Cut your losses and get out if you can.

I understand what you're saying but you could end up losing everything. If they do go bust at the last minute I guarantee it will cost you a packet to change airlines and if there are no seats available you could end up missing the cruise. We flew out on our honeymoon on the QM2 this April from new York and passengers flying from Heathrow missed the first four night due to problems and they were the people who had booked air through Cunard so Cunard arranged to bring them out to pick up the cruise form Tortola. If you have booked independently you are on your own on that one.

I would not have taken that chance with my honeymoon. So please ask yourself if you are willing to lose out on your honeymoon for the sake of £200.

Archived