Cruising as a diabetic (Dream or any NCL ship)???

Nikolle2

I just got diagnosed as "pre-diabetic." Boo...

I'm very concerned about crusing in 1.5 weeks with my new diagnosis. I'm on the Dream. Do they do a good job of accommodating diabetic diets? My dr. recommended eating egg whites for breakfast prepared withOUT cream and plenty of grilled poultry (I don't eat seafood).. but I'm worried stuff like this won't be available! Esp. in the buffet where MH and I are likely to dine several times.

Any insight? I would really appreciate it as I'm now extremely concerned.

Can I bring my own snacks on board??

I'm very concerned about crusing in 1.5 weeks with my new diagnosis. I'm on the Dream. Do they do a good job of accommodating diabetic diets? My dr. recommended eating egg whites for breakfast prepared withOUT cream and plenty of grilled poultry (I don't eat seafood).. but I'm worried stuff like this won't be available! Esp. in the buffet where MH and I are likely to dine several times.

grilled chicken is always available in the sit down dining rooms(lunch and dinner). You may have to change your eating habits to go where they specially prepare food. That isn't the buffet which is meant for mass feeding and not special diets. if they have a omelette station at breakfast(which they do) they will happily prepar egg white only omelettes for you.

and yes you can bring your own commerically prepared and sealed snacks aboard...

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been for about 10 years. I am on medication that helps to control my blood sugars and other systems. I have a doctor that has a special interest in diabetes so he keeps a close eye on me. In my opinion it is important to keep in close touch with your doctor and do as he or she says as much as possible.

As far as cruising is concerned, we cruise at least once a year. There are plenty of things to eat on a ship that will fit in with any diet you might have. My doctor says that when I am on a cruise it is okay to splurge on the eating a little bit, but most of all have a good time. Attitude is really important for a diabetic.

Don't worry too much, just have good time.

Happy cruising!

ditto.. I'm type 2 as well.. Plus I'm on Weight Watchers (have lost 60lbs in the last year).. I have never had trouble finding plenty of great things to eat onboard any NCL ship. They always have plenty of veggies and grilled meats. The buffet usually always will have roasted chicken (one of my staples on their buffets) or turkey. They also usually always have sugar free dessert selections in most of their restaurants.

Believe me.. do not worry.. you will find a lot of good and healthy alternatives on their menus.

We were on the Dream in August. We did see people order egg white only omelettes no problem. As I remember, the buffet had plenty of selection of meats and poultry. On sea days, there was also a barbeque lunch served on the pool deck and the chicken was delicious!

I'm a type 1 diabetic and just did my first cruise on the Pearl to Alaska on 9/7. There are definitely a lot of choices for diabetics. There are tons of sugar free options and I saw a few people asking for egg-white only omelets and such.

They are very accommodating. I even went down to the medical center and they provided me with a sharps container for my used test strips and needles. All I had to do was leave it in the room when we disembarked and the stewards took care of it. Very nice indeed.

I think you will be just fine.

One other thing I would suggest is if you see your doctor again before you cruise, see if they will send you to a dietician. With your doctor or the dietician, have a discussion with them about being perfect. A lot of times doctors specifically will make us diabetics think we have to be perfect eaters all the time. When I am on vacation the one meal I eat pretty much what I want is breakfast. I don't like egg white omlets, fat free egg substitutes, etc. I usually eat a breakfast sandwich of bacon, eggs, and cheese every morning for breakfast. I watch what I eat the rest of the day and make sure it is appropriate food. And yes, I got this cleared through my doctor, along with having a martini or two during the cruise. (usually the only time of the year I have an alcoholic drink).

One thing that may have lead my doc to ok me doing this on vacation is I am not a "sweets" person. In other words, he knows I do not eat french toast covered in syrup , or pancakes and syrup, etc. Just not that crazy about sweets, especially for breakfast. And he only approves of me throwing caution to the wind at breakfast those one or two weeks a year we vacation. Sugar is not the only thing we have to watch..Fat grams can drive up our blood sugar too, but..like I say. I try to watch those the rest of the day.

This may not be appropriate to post here, and if it is not, I apologize. I just want you to know it is ok that we are not always perfect in our diet. I know this can vary person to person and that is why I think you should speak to your doctor or a dietican about it. By all means, they know what is best for you much more than I do. I can just share with you what works for me.

ditto.. I'm type 2 as well.. Plus I'm on Weight Watchers (have lost 60lbs in the last year).. I have never had trouble finding plenty of great things to eat onboard any NCL ship.

Terry-good for you!!!

I am not diabetic but have to say that I have lost alot of weight in the last 17 months. During that time I have also been on four NCL cruises - a two day, five day, 7 day and 10 day. I've always managed to find things that were healthy and delicious. Like I said I don't have to go through the strictness of a diabetic diet, but have been strict none-the-less.

Yuck, I don't like fish either.

I was diagnosed with type II diabetes in April. My doctor sent me to see a nutritionist and go through diabetes classes. In my classes I was told to limit my carbohydrates to 45-60 per meal (3 meals a day) and 15-30 per snack (up to 2 snacks per day) and to exercise. I have stuck strickly to this diet. I am allowed to eat what I want as long as my choices fall into the carbohydrate range of the meal I am eating. I started riding my stationary bike at 2 miles per day increasing this one mile for every 5 pounds lost. I have currently lost 38 pounds and am biking 9 miles per day at least 5 days per week. My A1C has dropped from 6.5 in April to 6.1 in July. My glocuse readings have been in the 70-110 range. I have found that I am not limited that much by choices as I thought I would be. I just need to make my choices and limit my portion sizes to be able to eat what I want. I usually only eat one snack a day after I exercise to keep my numbers from dropping to low. I am hoping we will be able to go on a cruise next July. I am not too worried about what I eat on a cruise just as long as I limit how much I eat of it. Good luck in finding what works for you.

Just as a matter of interest, why did he tell you to restrict your intake of whole eggs? Most people who have this restriction have chlosterol (sp?) problems. Diabetes is a carbohydrate problem.

I have type II diabetes and an egg restriction has never come up.

DON

Thank you everyone!! You have put my mind at great ease... I was concerned.

I think my dr. suggested egg whites and not whole eggs b/c my bad cholesterol is higher than she'd like it to be. It's not in a dangerous range, but not as low as she'd like so she wants me to adopt a low cholesterol diet as well. She figures if I get everything into my diet at once it'll all become second nature to me.

Thank you for all of your guidance and stories! Diabetes runs throughout both sides of my family so I really want to nip this in the bud. And I was worried that the cruise would make that very difficult for me since I'm leaving on Oct 5th, so close to when I learned of this.

Thanks!

Attitude and knowledge are everything so you're on the right track. Try to avoid spiking your glucose levels. I would stay away from sugar, fruit juice, ice cream, potatoes, white rice and white bread. Whole grains and whole fruits are okay in moderation. I sure do hope you can beat this. I'm a Type 1 and DH is a Type 2. Good luck and best wishes. :)

I have been on five cruises since being diagnoised as Type II diabetic. I control my glucose by diet and exercise. As mentioned before, keeping in your guidelines as prescribed by your physican or diabetes educator is key. I can have up to 45 carbs for breakfast and 50 each for lunch and dinner. If I am having a snack I subtract from one of my other meals. A big thing to consider is portion control. Also consider what you are having as a beverage. 8 ounces of skim milk is 11 carbs. Orange juice will spike your blood sugar. Tomato juice is a drink I have sometimes with breakfast. Keep yourself hydrated with plenty of water throughout the day.

Enjoy your cruise, we will be on it the day you disembark.

I'm very concerned about crusing in 1.5 weeks with my new diagnosis. ?

This is a trivial point but significant. I believe that most doctors do not believe in the term "pre-diabetic". It suggests that you are not really diabetic but are in danger of becoming diabetic. Than can lead one (not necessarily you) to treat the diagnosis as less serious than it is.

What you really have is treatable Type II diabetes.

DON

Tomato juice is a drink I have sometimes with breakfast. Keep yourself hydrated with plenty of water throughout the day.

Enjoy your cruise, we will be on it the day you disembark.

Have you tried spiking the tomato juice w hot sauce? IMHO, it really improves the flavor of the tomato juice. I really really really miss my morning OJ.

DON

My husband is Type 2 and has no trouble onboard. Plenty of sugar free deserts,and you can have free cappucino, espresso or latte that are sugar free. Splenda packets are available since we hate the others (blue & pink). Just read descriptions for sugary additions & request NO SUGAR for meals & they will follow your instuctions. Iced tea is sugar free too. They also have sugar free syrups for pancakes, waffles, etc.

I too can feel your anxiousness. I was just recently, like this week, diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. :(

We will be leaving on October 19th for our first NCL cruise.

I cried and cried when I left the Dr.'s office, not only for my new diagnosis and new medication and new glucose meter, but for the cruise we have been waiting for, for such a long time seemed less exiting. We have a tendency to center our lives and activities around food, instead of centering food around them.

The Chocolate Buffet seems like a distant memory already, knowing I won't be able to "indulge as I had planned."

I think this is the hardest thing I have to face so far. I am teary eyed as I write this post. I (as others) need all the help I can get. I learn so much from these boards, and everyone is so helpful and understanding. I just hope I can do it!:o

The Chocolateholics' Buffet includes no sugar added items. However, you need to remember that "no sugar" doesn't necessarily mean no carbs - and that's what you will need to count to keep your BS under control. I cannot stress enough the need to meet with a licensed diabetic educator dietician to learn about serving sizes and interchanges. If your primary MD does not set you up with one, contact your local hospital for a referral. If you are near a major teaching hospital, they frequently offer programs and have support groups. My brother is an endocrinologist and laments the increasing numbers of newly dx'd patients he sees.My Mom was adult onset, eventually insulin dependent, and cruised 3-4 times every year. As the side effects of long time diabetes became more pronounced, I always had complete labs drawn prior to cruising, and upon return had another set of labs done. Amazing, her labs post cruise were better than pre-cruise! This was especially true on longer European cruises, with land tours. American diets are heavy on the fats & sugars, plus very high sodium, as compared to a Mediterranean diet. Mom cruised on the Dream last September and October, and found the food to meet her dietary needs. She requested to see the menu ahead of time, and they prepared items without sauces or added fats or sodium. At the Bistro she had a regular dessert and her BS remained stable. Lots of walking helps, keep active. Try to avoid the buffets and dine in the regular dining rooms - be pampered and be waited on. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.Darcy

Just as a matter of interest, why did he tell you to restrict your intake of whole eggs? Most people who have this restriction have chlosterol (sp?) problems. Diabetes is a carbohydrate problem.

I have type II diabetes and an egg restriction has never come up.

DON

Diabetes and heart disease go hand in hand. High cholesterol is a risk factor for heart disease. Egg yolks are extremely high in cholesterol. Eggs whites have no cholesterol. It is a simple deduction to stay away from egg yolks.

Thank you, everyone!!!

I meet with a dietician tomorrow - I'm really looking forward to it. After way too much crying this last week and freaking out over BG numbers, I realized I have to just take this one day at a time. I'm only 32. It runs in my family and my weight doesn't help... but my doctor seemed very confident with weight loss and diet and low dose of meds I could get this under control and possibly off meds eventually. I've taken this very, very seriously - even with the "pre-diabetic" diagnosis. This is why I was so incredibly concerned about cruising. Like the previous poster, I also felt so sad about cruising knowing I couldn't enjoy foods that I don't normally eat at home. :o( And knowing I'd have to test, test, test. And eat more frequently than I like to. And also that I would HAVE to find time to walk the track at least 1x a day.

Now I know I just have to do it. I've been staying clear of all things sweet and it's starting to get to me and I'm not even a sweets person. So I am hoping I can grab a couple sugar free desserts here and there if I opt for a very low carb dinner and take a walk afterwards.

Diabetes and heart disease go hand in hand. High cholesterol is a risk factor for heart disease. Egg yolks are extremely high in cholesterol. Eggs whites have no cholesterol. It is a simple deduction to stay away from egg yolks.

Exactly. This is why I've been staying clear. I'm reading all of these delicious breakfasts that people post on diabetic websites and all of them include eggs (which I LOOOOOVE eggs overlight so it's sad for me to stay away from them). But I plan to buy a BJ's sized Egg Beaters and just make some veggie filled omletts instead.

We have cruised NCL 8 times and have never had any problems. My husband has type 2 diabetes and also must watch his salt intake. Whenever we requested these items, they bent over backwards to provide them. They even made us a fantastic sugar free anniversary cake as we were celebrating our 50th. The main dining room is easiest to ask for these items, but, you get to know who is in charge at the buffet and they really try to get you what you ask for. As a special treat my husband will have a small sugar free ice cream cone. You need not worry!!

Your colestral must be high or he wants you to lose weight as an omelet is not going to run your blood sugar up. Bread will, potatoes will BIG TIME, you may as well eat Mississippi mud pie as a baked potato-for what it does to your blood sugar.

I have had diabetes 17 years. Thsi is my typical crusie breakfast. Omelet, coffee, one slice of whole wheat bread (forget the sweet rolls-they are very bad for you!), one half a grapefruit.

Lunch is usually a chef's salad with meat and cheese. If I have crackers, I go easy on them-ONE cracker.

Mid afternoon I have one small scoop of ice cream-not the "rich stuff" like Ben and Jerry's but the stuff that is no extra cost, saves my pocket book and my health!

Dinner, I love! I just stay away from pasta, and the rich sauces. I never eat anything fried. Once again, I go easy on the bread, often I do not even have any.

I also take the stairs and NOT the elevator for the most part. Walking is the BEST thing for diabetes-especially downstairs-walking downstairs lowers your blood sugar .

My BS is always great on cruises! Yes, there is plenty I would love to eat, but I don't. I can always find plenty that I can safely eat on cruises.

BTW-it has been 17 years since I was diagnoised-though at that time I had what some call pre diabetes-my doctor said there is no such thing-you either have it or you don't- I controlled it by diet for years- I have been on meds for only the last 5 years. I am STILL NOT on insulin-so I must be doing something right!

Archived