Alaska Cruises - Balcony or Outside Cabin

stephaniekleinn

Hi Guys, I'm interested in purchasing a cruise to Alaska for my mom as a Christmas Gift. We're looking at going in August. My question is whether I should pick a balcony or an outside cabin....how cold does it get and do you even use the balconies? We're from Florida and she loves the warmth so I'm wondering if we should just go with the outside cabin....I'd love to hear from you. Stephaniekleinn@yahoo.com

You might want to also post this on the "Alaska" board. You will get many differing opinions. IMHO, if cost is a factor, get the oceanview/outside cabin, and use the money you save for outstanding, once in a lifetime shore excursions. Alaska shorex can be quite pricey, depending on what you choose to do.

we just got back from Alaska a couple weeks ago...we had OV and other family had a balcony...both worked out fine...for us the OV satisfied our need to see the ocean from the room, and since we dont usually sit out on the balcony much anyways there was no need to pay the extra $...family members enjoyed their balcony and while there were some cold evenings and mornings they said it was fine for the most part

If you were from the Boston area, I'd say go for the balcony...you would never notice the temp...but coming from Florida, I"d say that it could be too cool most days. Hope that thought helps...been there 4 times and if it wasn't such a long flight, we'd have done it again this summer. What a wonderful gift...the trip (IMHO) of a lifetime.

Hi Guys, I'm interested in purchasing a cruise to Alaska for my mom as a Christmas Gift. We're looking at going in August. My question is whether I should pick a balcony or an outside cabin....how cold does it get and do you even use the balconies? We're from Florida and she loves the warmth so I'm wondering if we should just go with the outside cabin....I'd love to hear from you. Stephaniekleinn@yahoo.com

Hi Stephanie:

I think this is entirely up to the person traveling in the cabin. For me, a cold itinerary simply means I wear more when out on the balcony. Alaska is such a very unique voyage, visually. I can't imagine it without a balcony. Like I said, strictly personal.

Cheers!

Tee

If you can afford it, get a balcony especially if the cruise you are considering is going to Glacier Bay or doing another glacier viewing from the main ship. We were on the Tahitian Princess in July and were able to sit on our balcony viewing the fantastic scenery and then when we got cold we went back into our own cabin to warm up. It was a fantastic way to take in a fantastic view.

Have a great next cruise.

We were on the Alaska cruise in June a couple years ago and had a balcony. Granted we weren't out there a lot and sometimes on a Carribbean cruise we aren't out there a lot but gad, it is so neat. We had one time where the captain stopped the ship so we could look at a bunch of seals (at least a couple hundred-so it seemed). We were in our cabin and just stepped out to watch them and video tape them and such.

1281443580_cruise06041.jpg.f89aeb2ba9028db2600d01eddfc785bb.jpg

I agree with the others - if you can Afford the Balcony - that's the way to go for an Alaskan Cruise. There is a lot to see from your own Balcony. And you don't have to worry about getting a "good spot" out on the deck when going to the glaciers.

We were lucky enough to be able to watch Dolphins and Whales swim along with boat from our balcony as well.

If it was cold/misty out - we ordered hot chocolate/tea/coffee to the room and bundled up. Or even just watched out through the window!

ENJOY!!!!

I am going to be different. Our very first cruise was Alaska. Our room was in the middle of the ship and as low as you could get and it was wonderful. We could look out our window and watch the ice burgs float by. We also watched the Dophins swim right along side. It was wonderful. Ever since then we have booked a balcony. But if we ever cruise Alaska again I would go back to OV. I don't believe the extra money is worth it. It can be a little nippy out there (and I am Canadian).

We've been on 4 cruises of which 3 we've had balconies. Our last cruise was to Alaska this June. We slept with our balcony door open each night and it was wonderful! It was probably in the 40's at night but such good sleeping.

If your budget allows, I say go for the balcony and just make sure you take enough clothes to dress in layers. There is nothing like sitting on your balcony and watching the whales!

Whatever you choose, you'll enjoy!

I've had a balcony on most every cruise on which I've been, (The exceptions being Windstar which didn't have any, and Seabourn where the balcony cabins were too expensive.) We used our balconies extensively when cruising the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America; however, we rarely used it on our Alaska cruise and I considered it to be a total waste of money. Oh sure, we'd go out there for a quick 15 minute look around or so, but it isn't like being in the Caribbean where we'd spend all morning or afternoon just relaxing and basking in the warmth, or eating our meals out there.

As others have noted, everyone is different, and you may very well enjoy a balcony on an Alaskan cruise. However, I am originally from Miami, and although I've now spent 25 years living in the Washington, DC area, I still think that anything below 60 - 65 is cold. :) Therefore, as a former Floridian, I would recommend against you paying extra for a balcony cabin. There will be plenty of space on a public deck if you decide that you want to spend a lot of time outside.

Scott

Out of all these cruises and all these years....Alaska is the ONLY time we booked a balcony and I am really glad we did.

We cruised in July and yes, it could get nippy...but I just threw on that wonderful robe and ....it was awesome!!

Archived