Some Carnival Fantasy Pics, from the dock

nolaAlive

That's unbelievable. I can't imagine the Airlines putting a jetliner back into service after a major check with the carpeting missing.

Is the problem here that the Cruise lines are not allotting enough time for the dry dock work? It doesn't seem fair to the customers taking the first cruise after a ship comes out of dry dock.

It's all about money. The scheduled drydock time probably is too short to complete the job 100%, but the cruise lines figure they can finish some of the minor unfinished improvements while the ship sails and still collect the money they would normally get for the cruise. They only way this will stop is if potential cruisers simply refuse to book the first two cruises after drydock. When the cruise lines see that they would sail with a nearly empty ship they will either schedule the necessary time to complete all of the work or they will have to seriously discount the first couple of cruises after the drydock to make up for the inconvenience to the passengers. Personally, I would never book the first couple of cruises after a drydock unless I was offered truly rock-bottom pricing.

I really should expand my horizons and try something else, but for some reason we keep going back to Acme for dinner everytime we spend the night before our cruise.

LHP-hope you and your family have a safe drive to NOLA and a wonderful cruise.

Yes, I can't say anything....because I am notorious for eating not only at the same places....but the SAME THING at each one. aauugghhh!!

I would love to have tried to restaurant on the corner as you enter the square from the Grand Sandestin ( I can't think of the name) but they have a fake Marlin in the restaurant ....so that rules that out for DJ. (We can't eat at restaurants with fake sharks, marlins or other large fish).

The BBQ place was pretty good last March....that is just past Acme. I am kinda picky about my BBQ.

And I actually found KARAOKE on Friday night at The Pub (I think that is what they call it)...on the other side of the water!! woo hoo

It's all about money. The scheduled dry dock time probably is too short to complete the job 100%, but the cruise lines figure they can finish some of the minor unfinished improvements while the ship sails and still collect the money they would normally get for the cruise. They only way this will stop is if potential cruisers simply refuse to book the first two cruises after dry dock. When the cruise lines see that they would sail with a nearly empty ship they will either schedule the necessary time to complete all of the work or they will have to seriously discount the first couple of cruises after the dry dock to make up for the inconvenience to the passengers. Personally, I would never book the first couple of cruises after a dry dock unless I was offered truly rock-bottom pricing.

Obviously it's about the money. Anyone can see that. I can't believe the cruising public puts up with it. I think you are right, in that if bookings drop on cruises right after dry dock maybe the cruise lines will get the hint.

I for one am going on the Fantasy in a week. Let me tell you that if some of the conditions exist as have been mentioned here, I would expect some form of compensation. Again, how would the traveling public feel if they boarded a jetliner to find some of the seats missing, or no carpet, or a lavatory missing? I think the public would be appalled. What if you checked into you Hotel room to find no carpet. Appalling!

I feel for the cruisers aboard the Fantasy this week. They don't deserve a substandard product as they are possibly getting.

That's unbelievable. I can't imagine the Airlines putting a jetliner back into service after a major check with the carpeting missing.

Is the problem here that the Cruise lines are not allotting enough time for the dry dock work? It doesn't seem fair to the customers taking the first cruise after a ship comes out of dry dock.

I wouldn't compare to an airplane. More like hotel that moves. A hotel can be renovated floor by floor, wing by wing, etc. The parts that reuqire a dry dock obviously require the entire ship to be unavailable. Dry dock is a very expensive procedure.

They would like to finish on time, but if they don't, finishing while cruising is a viable option.

Did Hurricane Ike impact the scheduled start of the dry dock?

----

If you discount the cabins enough, people will sail, which is cheaper than canceling a cruise. But there are usually enough people that want to sail on the first cruise that it might even sell at a premium.

I really should expand my horizons and try something else, but for some reason we keep going back to Acme for dinner everytime we spend the night before our cruise.

LHP-hope you and your family have a safe drive to NOLA and a wonderful cruise.

from the one in BR. Even though good, it still just isn't the same as eating in New Orleans!

My nieces demolished the Boo fries (french fries with roast beef gravy and cheese) before I could get a picture:

IMG_2882.JPG

Fried shrimp platter (with hushpuppies, french fries, served over some french bread rounds)

IMG_2883.JPG

A peacemaker po-boy - not sure if she just ordered shrimp or a combo shrimp and oysters.

IMG_2885.JPG

An oyster loaf, peacemaker style. YUM!

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

Yes, I can't say anything....because I am notorious for eating not only at the same places....but the SAME THING at each one. aauugghhh!!

I would love to have tried to restaurant on the corner as you enter the square from the Grand Sandestin ( I can't think of the name) but they have a fake Marlin in the restaurant ....so that rules that out for DJ. (We can't eat at restaurants with fake sharks, marlins or other large fish).

The BBQ place was pretty good last March....that is just past Acme. I am kinda picky about my BBQ.

And I actually found KARAOKE on Friday night at The Pub (I think that is what they call it)...on the other side of the water!! woo hoo

We ate at the place with the Marlin-can't remember the name of it-it was ok but nothing to write home about. No where near as good as Acme.

Did you do know there is one of those BBQ places (Nick & Jim's) in Cordova on Germantown Parkway? We've eaten there a couple of times and it pretty good. They have really good home cooked veggies and onion rings.

from the one in BR. Even though good, it still just isn't the same as eating in New Orleans!

My nieces demolished the Boo fries (french fries with roast beef gravy and cheese) before I could get a picture:

IMG_2882.JPG

Fried shrimp platter (with hushpuppies, french fries, served over some french bread rounds)

IMG_2883.JPG

A peacemaker po-boy - not sure if she just ordered shrimp or a combo shrimp and oysters.

IMG_2885.JPG

An oyster loaf, peacemaker style. YUM!

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

I'll take a 1/2 dozen oysters on the half shell, some fried crawfish tails, shrimp or crawfish poboy(decisions, decisons) and of course some hushpuppies w/tartar sauce to dip them in.

OMGosh-I don't think I can wait 2 weeks and 2 days to eat at Acme-I want it now.

I know the feeling-when we had the condo in Gulfport we would eat at the same places-Veazyles, Chappys (he's in Nashville now) Toucans, Mary Mahoneys and of course I had to have my Whataburger for lunch a couple times during the week. Occasionally we would try something new but I never missed going to these restuarants in the 10 yrs we went there before Katrina.

When we go to Nassau we eat at the same restuarants also.

Gosh I really need to get out more and be adventerous.

Grits, oh, ok...... that will also be a newbie for me..

Thanks so much for posting!!

I luv grits, but don't eat them too often.

On your cruise they should have grits somewhere at breakfast. By themselves not a lot of taste. But add butter and cheese, voila!

Maybe I'll have to remember to bring some garlic on my next Carnival cruise!

I luv grits, but don't eat them too often.

On your cruise they should have grits somewhere at breakfast. By themselves not a lot of taste. But add butter and cheese, voila!

Maybe I'll have to remember to bring some garlic on my next Carnival cruise!

Southern born and southern bred but grits make me gag.

My DH goes to church with his mom almost every Sunday and then goes to her house where she fixes him grits. I have the best MIL in the world cause I don't even want to look at grits.

Southern born and southern bred but grits make me gag.

My DH goes to church with his mom almost every Sunday and then goes to her house where she fixes him grits. I have the best MIL in the world cause I don't even want to look at grits.

I Love Girls Raised In The South !:D

AED ? Adult Eating Disorder?

Good one!

Actually the only eating disorder I have is eating TO MUCH!!!

Although I have been doing better lately.....got with the program with John Heald the end of May and am currently...(drum roll please) 15 pounds lighter!!

Slowly but surely....and of course walking 4 to 5 miles a day helped.

I hate to make foolish mistakes (and hate admitting them even more), but this one made me chuckle, so I'll go ahead and fess up . . .

I was not wearing my computer glasses, and I checked out Bill's picture of the 'PACEMAKER' platter with that tremendous stack of fried items spilling out from the bread. My immediate thought was that the sandwich was very aptly named, as it would surely cause heart problems.

Once I had my glasses on, I realize that was PEACEMAKER. Oopsie! :o :o

Archived