How do they assign your table mates?

agrip76

They usually try to match you up with similar cruisers. So, if you are a couple with teenagers, they would try to put you with another family with teens.

However, on 3 cruises, we have never had table mates. Our family of 4 has always had a table for 4.....except once, when there were 5 of us we were at a table for 6, but no one ever showed up for 6th spot at the table.

As a canadian (travelling with a US buddy) we are sometimes seated at the Canadian table - or at least with some other canucks - have always had a blast!

When traveling with my gf (2 solo women) we were put at a table with other women travellers - again they were all a hoot!

I personally thought it was a combination of Ouija board and Magic 8 Ball, but since I've never actually seen them do it, that's just my theory.

For my last two CCL cruises, I've totally baffled the nice ladies in the embarkation lounge by guessing my table number prior to them handing me my S&S card. Not really that difficult when you travel as a single passenger, as they tend to always be put us the same location each and every sailing.

no no no, they put their left foot in they put their left foot out.....

ok, maybe not. Interesting that they match people up by interests of sorts. i knew you could connect bookings as a group. Our first cruise we were an extended member of a group cruise, meaning we were invited along to get in on the discount, but didn't know anyone, and we ended up at a table for 2. But we were in the middle of 3 large tables of friends. We never found out if these were the people from the group or not?? we promptly switched seating times and ended up with members from our roll call on here.

A maitre' de on the Valor explained the system to DH (98Charlie) & I on a cruise a couple of years ago. Charlie has been in restaurant management for about 35 years so he was very interested in how the seating arrangements are made.

It's a computerized system that has a name. Charlie is at work now. Hopefully he can chime in here when he gets home later tonight.

Basically, info from your booking is fed into the system to help match up dining partners.

Have to say, Charlie & I have been well pleased with the match ups we've had so far on Carnival ships. We have always ended up at a table for 4 with a couple who are within 10 years of our age. We may not always have the same backgrounds but we always have many similar interests and some great table conversations during the cruise.

Dianne

my father gave me some great advice years ago when i did my first

cruise.

he said to get a big table, because odds are you'll meet someone

you'll enjoy out of several people.

i've done 30 or so cruises and have had delightful table mates of

all ages.

i've found his advice to be very sound.

I think it's a matchmaking scheme myself :p I usually cruise with my father. Last cruise we were at a table for six with a mother and adult son within a few years of our respective ages, though oddly a honeymoon couple was also placed with us (inspiration perhaps?:rolleyes:) The honeymooners never came back after the first night though.

Cruise before that we were placed with another mother-son team, but they were way older than us and a bit cranky, so we switched tables. We ended up at a ten-top with a bunch of couples around Dad's age, and we all had a wonderful time!

Previous cruises were before Mom died and I got divorced, but I recall being matched with similar families.

From what I can tell from past cruises, it appears to be by alphabetical last names. The past three times we found that the other peoples last name began with an F, which is what ours is. Makes sense to me.

Steve

The only time I really wondered about this was when I took my then 21 yr old son on a 4 day cruise. They sat us at a 4 top with a single dad and his 16 yr old daughter. I remembering wondering why they would seat a married woman (DH did not go and it was booked as Mrs Bonnie ______) with a single man (we were the same age) and a 21 yr old young man with a 16 yr old girl. My son had a blast hanging out with the dad and the daughter and I spent an afternoon at the pool together. Very nice people and my son stayed in touch with them for a few years after the cruise.

A group of seven of us booked our cruise in Sept. :D Three separate booking numbers because of 3 different rooms by a TA. I sure hope we are seated together. :confused:

Make sure your TA links your reservations/booking #s together so you will be seated at the same table. Good idea also if you all have chosen the same dining time.

Our first cruise - Me, husband, my sister, her husband and our 21yr old Daughter / we were matched up to a couple and thier 3 (adult) children (19-22yrs old. That was a very good match.

Second cruise -Me, husband, my sister, her husband and they put us at a table for 4 - we were very dissapointed in that.

Third cruise - Me and Daughter (now 26). We were at a table for 10 with other couples my age.

I think it depends on how much work the MatreD wants to put into it!!!

It seems to me from what I've now experienced on my last 2 cruises and what I have read here, we have been getting similar couples in age and weird or not from the same deck. The age thing does make sense. The deck thing is kind of strange.

on our honeymoon we were seated with another honeymoon couple (both married the day before sailing). Exact same age and us girls even have the same career! We had a blast and have kept in touch for the past 2 years. When cruising with family, we've been seated with family only. Will see what the next brings, our next as just a couple.

OK, I got home from work finally:p

The system used on Carnival and several other lines is called TableWhere. The Maitre d' has access to your age in 10 year increments (25-35, 35-45, etc.), your nationality (for language purposes, your cabin number, and date of booking (used as a tie breaker - book earlier and be more likely to get your requested seating time and table size). I think it also included your past guest status but I'm not sure.

The program has all of the table showing on a map of the dining room so it's just a point and click to assign diners to specific tables.

I believe that the waiters turn in their tickets indicating the orders for the table. The Maitre d' knows which tables ordered what items and where tables are going unused.

Charlie

First cruise was a group cruise and we were seated at several large tables next to each other.

Second cruise was with my mother and 16 yo nephew. We were seated with two families with teens, who happened to live within 50 miles of us. This was perfect!!

Third cruise - girls cruise. We were at a table by ourselves, probably best for all others concerned.

OK, I got home from work finally:p

The system used on Carnival and several other lines is called TableWhere.

This explains a lot. I've noticed that most of the people sitting at each table are usually around the same age. Also, based on the occupations of people I sat with, I would guess that I'm usually seated with people around the same income level.

It seemed as though CCL was playing match maker with the table arrangements on my last cruise.

My party was made up of three 20-somethings girls, and we were seated with two other 20-something girls, and five 20-something guys.

The other girls were great! But after a few nights the five guys just became annoying, they were on that ship for one reason and one reason only, which they made quite clear. Once they figured out that none of us girls were interested, all politeness went out the window.

It was a nice try and gesture though.

Only kidding , but it has to be something like that. My last cruise I was at a table with a couple with kids, one year older and one year younger, than my DD. And thats not the weirdest thing...Also at our table was a married mom with her DD the same age as mine!(I'm married too), so that was great, they hung out together and so did we most of the week. It has to be a computer, but for years it has been like that, so how do they do it?

Archived