LIVE from the STAR

SFParrtHd

Hi Dona and Bob: So glad that everything is going well for you. I am glad that your memorial ceremony went well and that Princess did a great job for you.

Now young lady, just keep the ship intact and straighten out the staff:D so it will be ready for me when I get on next week.

Have a great rest of your cruise.

Marilyn

Reading about your ability to carry out your folks final request and Princess' assistance in this is a truly nice story.

Thanks for that and your continuation of info from Star. I'm hoping these next six days go by very s-l-o-w-l-y......giving you more time on your cruise and also building up the excitement for ours, next.

thanks again, Chuck

Any chance you could post some photos? I'd like to see the upgrades and especially the outdoor movie screen.

Thanks for the info, I've been scouring the web and found nothing about the particulars.

We are booked for an August Alaska and have an aft cabin, you say they put wood decking out there?

Dianne

Any chance you could post some photos? I'd like to see the upgrades and especially the outdoor movie screen.

Thanks for the info, I've been scouring the web and found nothing about the particulars.

We are booked for an August Alaska and have an aft cabin, you say they put wood decking out there?

Dianne

Some pics were just put up on the Star Drydock thread going on right now on this forum.

marilyn

Dianne

Dianne,

Here's the link to some new photos: Star Princess Post Dry Dock

Thank you for posting this! We're on the sailing on the 31st, and I'm so impatient it's not even funny.

One thing that I'd like to know is if there ever is a time during your cruise where you can't get internet access. Sadly, I'm going to have to bring my laptop and be available for emergenies at least most of the time we're away, so any information you can provide about how good/stable the internet connection is would help me a lot. :)

Thank you all for the nice comments. "Dad" thanks for checking on the "kids" I'll go check my email after this.

Heard from some of the passengers that last night during Island Night MUTS was on. Today they were working on it and also the main pool was closed completely, finishing up some tile work.

Yesterday we were in Acapulco and the itnernet was down for the whole time we were there. I am glad that someone posted pictures, I'll have to go look at those. I just had lugging the laptop to the "hot spots" so I probably won't post any photos now.

Not all the bedding has been changed. Some rooms got new mattresses, some of the pillows are new - sheets and duvet covers did not look new, but in fine condition.

We have decided we really don't like the traditional dining room - its hard to get to. There are only 2 aft elevators that you take to get down there. Also noted that there were no table/section captains around. There are no table for 2's - but they may put the traditional table for 2's in one of the anytime rooms like they do on the Sapphire/Diamond.

The elevators have been slower than usual and are pretty well packed. Makes it hard for DH with his new knee as he can't do the stairs. But, we manage, not a deal breaker.

The CD is Lee Childers. Haven't been to any shows so can't comment on him - though he and his staff are on the Morning Show. OK, but, IMHO we have had better.

I still think the crew, in general, seems a bit off and I am sure that it is just getting back into the routine. Marilyn and Chuck, we are getting them ready for you for your cruise after us.

Laundry took 2 1/2 days to get back as one of the machines was out of order after the dry dock. Finally got the menus in the suites last night. Had a few problems with lights and a few other minor things in the cabin, but they were all fixed quickly.

Well, I guess thats it for now. Ciao - Dona

Thank you all for the nice comments. "Dad" thanks for checking on the "kids" I'll go check my email after this.

Heard from some of the passengers that last night during Island Night MUTS was on. Today they were working on it and also the main pool was closed completely, finishing up some tile work.

Yesterday we were in Acapulco and the itnernet was down for the whole time we were there. I am glad that someone posted pictures, I'll have to go look at those. I just had lugging the laptop to the "hot spots" so I probably won't post any photos now.

Not all the bedding has been changed. Some rooms got new mattresses, some of the pillows are new - sheets and duvet covers did not look new, but in fine condition.

We have decided we really don't like the traditional dining room - its hard to get to. There are only 2 aft elevators that you take to get down there. Also noted that there were no table/section captains around. There are no table for 2's - but they may put the traditional table for 2's in one of the anytime rooms like they do on the Sapphire/Diamond.

The elevators have been slower than usual and are pretty well packed. Makes it hard for DH with his new knee as he can't do the stairs. But, we manage, not a deal breaker.

The CD is Lee Childers. Haven't been to any shows so can't comment on him - though he and his staff are on the Morning Show. OK, but, IMHO we have had better.

I still think the crew, in general, seems a bit off and I am sure that it is just getting back into the routine. Marilyn and Chuck, we are getting them ready for you for your cruise after us.

Laundry took 2 1/2 days to get back as one of the machines was out of order after the dry dock. Finally got the menus in the suites last night. Had a few problems with lights and a few other minor things in the cabin, but they were all fixed quickly.

Well, I guess thats it for now. Ciao - Dona

Dona,

Thanks for posting again and thanks for all the updates. Sounds like they're still working out some of the post dry dock kinks...;)

Enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Lee Childers was the CD when we sailed the Star for five weeks this spring. That's a rather long assignment on the same ship, isn't it?

Loved Captain Perrin. He's very personable and approachable.

Lee Childers was the CD when we sailed the Star for five weeks this spring. That's a rather long assignment on the same ship, isn't it?

JJ Ullrich was CD on the Star for our 9/14-21 cruise, so Lee Childers must have been on vacation or on another ship.

Chris

Hi all.

Based on the report of very hard mattresses, can anyone tell me how to request eggcrates for our beds?

Thanks,

Dom

Hi Dom,

Here's the fax number for the egg crate mattress: 661-284-4745. See you back at roll call. ;)

Hi all.

Based on the report of very hard mattresses, can anyone tell me how to request eggcrates for our beds?

Thanks,

Dom

Hi Dom, you can do the request ahead of time by sending a fax, but we always just ask our room steward when we get on board and it is put on when we come back from the Muster Drill. Check out the bed first, some people like it, but it is too hard for me.

See you in three weeks.

Dona

What a nice honor.

May your parents rest in peace.

~ ~ ~ ~

This is new to me.

If we only known this a few yrs ago when we buried my DF at sea.

He would have wanted to be buried at sea on a cruise ship.

But, here in the States there are laws on doing this so we had bury him here in NY.

Wondering, can you tell me what channels you took?

~~~

Thanks for giving your live reports.

Interesting how things are running right after a Dry-Dock.

I must tell you about the scattering of ashes we did. I had contacted Princess about a month ago and asked if it would be possible to scatter my parents ashes. They had been on 30+ Princess cruises and their wishes were to be scattered at sea. After a few years, I felt it was time to honor that and was pleased that I got a response back that yes, we could. Had to be in biodegradable urns and could not scatter ashes, per se. Long story short, the Passenger Service Manager Micheal contacted us when the next day and set it up for yesterday. The cornered off the back of Deck 7 for us and brought Bob and I, our son and DDIL down and let us conduct our little ceremony. I was really pleased at how it was handled and what a great thing for my parents, their last cruise together. We received the co-ordinates of the "scattering". I just have to give an A+ to the way it was handled.

I am unclear on some things about the Star. Here are my questions. Thanks for answering what you can:

1. Where did they put all these new things like International Café and Vines? What did they get rid of to make the room?
  2. I have read many times that the beds a very hard. Are they comfortable with the egg crate? Or still miserable?
  3. Is MUTS at the main pool? Did they open up the Solarium? I'm confused.
  4. What other changes have they made to the atrium? Is is too crowded now?
  5. Are they replacing all the blue plastic on the balconies? Or just some suites?

Thanks!

Also, is all these changes happening with the Golden and Grand as well?

Archived