Do I push the beds together?

ejpumpkin

I am new to this board and so glad I found it. I have been on a few cruises but the last one was when I was 15 - 10 years ago! My husband and I are going on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas this March to the western caribbean. We are SO excited! :D We have booked a balcony room and are unsure about the bed situation. Do we have to tell the cruise line ahead of time that we would like the beds together to a queen or just wait until we get to our room? If we get to our stateroom and the beds are set as two twins, do WE just push the beds together or how does that all work?

Thanks so much!! Also - does anyone know if Freedom of the Seas has fresh or saltwater pools??

Anything else we should know or suggestions for us would be appreciated. :)

If your beds are not together, you can ask the steward to put them together for you. He will have to put a different set of sheets on the bed and a different bedspread because the twin beds have different size bedding. Don't hesitate to ask the steward to arrange the beds the way you want. Of course, you may be lucky and have the bed already set up as a double bed when you arrive at your room.

We have often requested the double bed arrangement, but there doesn't seem to be any relationship between what we request and what we find when we arrive. Sometimes, though, we do get what we want. Good luck.

The pools on Freedom of the Seas are freshwater.

The beds should be together when you get to your room. If not, ask your stateroom attendant to put them together for you. It involves completely changing out the bedding, including making it where you can't feel the gap between the two beds.

When you booked your cruise there should have been a space on how you want the beds, single or queen. I know my passenger printout shows a queen sized bed for my cruise.

If yours doesn't have that, as the other posters have said, simply ask your room steward.

On my first cruise the beds were apart so I asked my cabin steward to put them together as a queen. That night when I returned to my cabin, the beds were indeed together, but they were still made up as singles under the duvet. It was too late that night to deal with it but I had it changed the next day.

I am new to this board and so glad I found it. I have been on a few cruises but the last one was when I was 15 - 10 years ago! My husband and I are going on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas this March to the western caribbean. We are SO excited! :D We have booked a balcony room and are unsure about the bed situation. Do we have to tell the cruise line ahead of time that we would like the beds together to a queen or just wait until we get to our room? If we get to our stateroom and the beds are set as two twins, do WE just push the beds together or how does that all work?

Thanks so much!! Also - does anyone know if Freedom of the Seas has fresh or saltwater pools??

Anything else we should know or suggestions for us would be appreciated. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Your TA should have asked you how you want the beds when you booked the cruise.

Should you get to the ship and discover that they are twins, just ask your cabin steward to change them to a queen size bed. He'll do it in the evening while you are at dinner.

I like to get in my cabin and get everything organized as soon as possible. On one of our cruises the beds were not pushed together and I didn't want to wait for the stewart so I had my husband do it. It was very easy.

ejpumpkin,

We actually had the reverse (my sister and I) where we got to the room and our beds were made into a queen, we just mentioned it to the steward and within an hour we came back and they were all set up seperately, no problem whatsoever. I was shocked at how quickly they got it done, but that's Royal Caribbean for you:D . Welcome aboard and Happy Sailing.

Sandy

All RC ships have salt water pools..you just don't notice it. It helps in bouyancy for passengers.

Not all RCCL ships have salt water pools. The Freedom class, including the Freedom of the Seas which the OP is sailing on, have freshwater pools, not saltwater pools.

Thanks everyone! My in-laws are actually buying/paying for our cruise as their wedding present to us. So my mother in law booked everything through her travel agent. We told them what we wanted and they ran everything by us - but she did the booking. I assume she requested queen but just wanted to check. We are so happy and excited for this cruise! We got a balcony (room 6602) and are flying in Saturday morning so we have saturday and saturday night in Miami beforehand. We are staying at the Astor Hotel in Miami beach - anyone stayed there before??

You should be aware that there are some cabins that, for safety reasons, twin beds are bolted in place. These are "quad" cabins, that is, two beds on the floor and two beds that come from the wall or ceiling. In these cabins, the bottom beds will not move so that if someone were to fall out of an upper berth, they could not fall onto the person in the lower.

I also just moved the beds myself one time when they were still separate. The steward came in and remade them later that afternoon. But, as everyone else agrees, it's no problem to ask for them to be set up the way you like. That transition day is pretty hectic on the ships, and things get overlooked sometimes.

You should be aware that there are some cabins that, for safety reasons, twin beds are bolted in place. These are "quad" cabins, that is, two beds on the floor and two beds that come from the wall or ceiling. In these cabins, the bottom beds will not move so that if someone were to fall out of an upper berth, they could not fall onto the person in the lower.

This is not an issue on RCCL as they don't have any cabins like that.

I requested a queen through my travel agent. That way they will already be puched together when we get their.

Asking for it doesn't guarantee that you get it. I have always requested separate beds, yet on 2 out of 3 cruises, the bed was set up as a queen. However, the cabin attendant (when asked) took care of it.

Asking for it doesn't guarantee that you get it. I have always requested separate beds, yet on 2 out of 3 cruises, the bed was set up as a queen. However, the cabin attendant (when asked) took care of it.

Hey RPC, I'm a little fuzzy, but was Leah the one that got it right the first time?

Thanks everyone! My in-laws are actually buying/paying for our cruise as their wedding present to us. So my mother in law booked everything through her travel agent. We told them what we wanted and they ran everything by us - but she did the booking. I assume she requested queen but just wanted to check. We are so happy and excited for this cruise! We got a balcony (room 6602) and are flying in Saturday morning so we have saturday and saturday night in Miami beforehand. We are staying at the Astor Hotel in Miami beach - anyone stayed there before??

You'll love your balcony stateroom. My wife and I had one for our honeymoon back in May, and it was amazing. The room was big, bed was comfortable, and the balcony was perfect. Take advantage of ordering breakfast through room service, and have breakfast on the balcony.

I like to get in my cabin and get everything organized as soon as possible. On one of our cruises the beds were not pushed together and I didn't want to wait for the stewart so I had my husband do it. It was very easy.

:confused: How did your husband have the correct size linens? Twin sheets aren't going to fit a queen bed. Same for blankets and spread???

Did the steward remake the bed with the proper linens when he did the room for the evening?

We have always had our beds together on arrival. If you travel agent request it, shouldn't be a problem. (or if you book on your own, you tell RC)

All RC ships have salt water pools..you just don't notice it. It helps in bouyancy for passengers.

I would notice it. ;) And Wrona is right, the Freedom class are all fresh water. Oasis will probably be as well.

LOL! You bring me back! Our very first cruise our beds were seperate "catycornered" to each other,and hubby and I pushed them together ourselves. We did not know enough to ask the steward! After we returned from dinner we noticed the steward had changed out the sheets and coverlet to make the beds a "double bed".

A few times, when we booked the cheapest inside room on a very old ship, our room would be so small that we delieberately kept the beds seperate, in order for both of us to be able to walk to the bathroom at night. Of course we "visited" each other. LOL!

Your booking a balcony though, will mean your room should be larger and no problem for either of you to have a path to the bathroom!

Hey RPC, I'm a little fuzzy, but was Leah the one that got it right the first time?

Of course! Leah was the most. amazing. cabin attendant. EVER. :D

But - on the Explorer cruise my roomie was a guy (and MAN, was HE disappointed when I asked the steward to separate the beds), and on the Vision cruise, my son was sailing with me - HE was disappointed that I wouldn't let him & his g/f have the big bed! But unless they put ages on the list given to the steward, I don't blame him (too much) for seeing a man & a woman with the same last name and assuming they're a couple.... :p

:confused: How did your husband have the correct size linens? Twin sheets aren't going to fit a queen bed. Same for blankets and spread???

Did the steward remake the bed with the proper linens when he did the room for the evening?

We didn't remake the beds, we just pushed them together, it wasn't until the next morning that the steward remade them with the proper linens. The stewards are so busy when you get on the ship I didn't want to be a bother so we just did it ourselves.

Archived