Anniversary cruise

cruizinonup

OK, I know this is only a matter of opinion here, but I was hoping for some good advice. My husband and I have been on 7 cruises, all on Carnival smaller budget ships. Next year will be our 15th anniversary and we were wanting to plan something a little nicer. We would also like to go to the Eastern Car. I have looked at balcony cabins on Holland America-Westerdam and Eurodam, Norwegian Pearl, and Costa Atlantica. I really don't know how to choose between these. Can anyone give me some details from these ships if you have been on them. We love Carnival and are not fancy people by any means. Just wanted to try something a little nicer for the anniversary! Thanks in advance!

Eurodam - this would be nice, as it is a new ship.

RC Radiance class (serenade, brilliance, radiance, jewel) - a good choice. We did a 14-day on the Radiance for our 25th and, to this day, the best we have sailed. They crew on this class seems to be the most comfortable in making you feel "at home, part of the family".

Can you tell me what you didn't like NCL?

Lots of people on the boards here don't like Norwegian. Lots of others do. We like Norwegian a lot. Maybe we've just been lucky, but we had wondeful cruises with NCL.

Everyone has their opinion. We love NCL and think it would be a great cruise for an anniversary simply because of freestyle dinning. You can have a table for 2 without any problems, whenever, whereever you want.

Happy upcoming anniversary!!

Different cruiselines appeal to different people and that's great...but in IMHO from my 2 sailings with NCL (the Star & Dawn)...they weren't bad cruises...they weren't 'wow' either...just OK...so I would rather take another Carnival cruise over NCL...but the OP asked for an opinion since this is to be a special anniversary sailing for them...if price and itinerary are right for you then I would certainly say consider the Westerdam or the brand new Eurodam. HAL is a premium line with terrific crews, offers a more upscale ambiance and the food is waaaay better than what we had on NCL. Celebrity is another premium line that you might want to take a look at. Good food and lovely ships. But if you are already happy with CCL...you might want to consider one of their bigger and newer ships...the Spirit class ships are nice...and not too gigantic that you will get lost.

I have not sailed Costa...but friends who did... say 'never again'...they said that announcements are made in several languages, the food selections seemed repetitive and the cabins were tight compared to HAL.

I hope you will enjoy your special anniversary cruise whichever one you decide...

Just a suggestion...Princess now offers "anytime dining" and for special celebrations, the "ultimate balcony breakfast" which is wonderful and pretty reasonable at $28 (includes champagne). We celebrated our 40th anniv. this past May on the Coral Princess and had a lovely breakfast on our balcony the morning of our anniversary and a dinner for two in the dining room that evening. The waiter brought us a decorated anniversary cake and several of the dining room staff sang "Happy Anniversary" to us.

Have never sailed with Carnival, but have with NCL, and have always enjoyed our cruises with them. Royal Carib. is OK, but the ships are getting too large!

Whatever your decision, have a wonderful anniversary!

Happy Anniversary. We took our first cruise for our 20th anniversary (4 years ago) and went with Holland America, Zuiderdam with a balcony. We really enjoyed it. THe food was amazing and the service was good. Decor on the Zuiderdam was a little different but the service made up for it.

We then went on Celebrity's Constellation. (22nd anniv.) That was wonderful especially for an anniversary. The service was amazing and the food was just as good as HAL. WE loved this ship the best.

This Jan. we took the kids on Navigator of the Seas, Royal Caribbean and that was soooo much fun! The ship is amazing but it didn't have the same ambiance as the other 2. Food we thought was okay but not the same standards as Celebrity, IMHO. It is a perfect family vacation.

We leave on the 30th to go on the COnstellation again for 11 nights for our early 25th anniversary. To me this is the perfect ship to celebrate an anniversary as it is a little quieter and more subdued than the fun loving Royal Caribbean (which was perfect with kids, and there were lots on the ship).

And getting the balcony is worth every cent, for us! Nothing like breakfast in your robe on the balcony and waking up to see a new port each day. It's worth it!!!

Have fun!

Happy Anniversary. We took our first cruise for our 20th anniversary (4 years ago) and went with Holland America, Zuiderdam with a balcony. We really enjoyed it. THe food was amazing and the service was good. Decor on the Zuiderdam was a little different but the service made up for it.

We then went on Celebrity's Constellation. (22nd anniv.) That was wonderful especially for an anniversary. The service was amazing and the food was just as good as HAL. WE loved this ship the best.

This Jan. we took the kids on Navigator of the Seas, Royal Caribbean and that was soooo much fun! The ship is amazing but it didn't have the same ambiance as the other 2. Food we thought was okay but not the same standards as Celebrity, IMHO. It is a perfect family vacation.

We leave on the 30th to go on the COnstellation again for 11 nights for our early 25th anniversary. To me this is the perfect ship to celebrate an anniversary as it is a little quieter and more subdued than the fun loving Royal Caribbean (which was perfect with kids, and there were lots on the ship).

And getting the balcony is worth every cent, for us! Nothing like breakfast in your robe on the balcony and waking up to see a new port each day. It's worth it!!!

Have fun!

We did the Constellation last year for our 25th, we did a repositioning transatlantic from England to NJ. We loved the Connie and felt she was a very good choice for an anniversary crsuie for just the 2 of us. Our tablemates from that cruise (celebrating their 30th) will be on your cruise.

I expect to enjoy the Pearl, but this c uise is with our daughter, so it is a family trip and we are not looking so much for "ambiance."

We reallly enjoyed the Westerdam, Zuiderdam's sister ship. Now we had had our daughter with us on that crusie also, but I do believe the Vista class is a good choice for an anniversary cruise. The Westerdam was beautiufl with all the marble and brass and anitiques that we saw.

I also feel the big RCI ships are more for families than couples. If the OP is leaning toward a RCI ship, she should pick the radiance class, which has more ambaince, and is geared more toward couples than families. I know the Jewel of the Seas does winter cruises to the Panama Canal this year and next.

I agree with lukes, as a table for 2 can be so easily had on NCL. We also love the variety of restaurants on NCL, yes some have cover charges, but $10 to $20 pp, for a very special dinner is well worth the money. NCL has excellent penthouses with oceanview showers/tubs that are, in our opinion, some of the nicest cabins afloat.(Look under webshots of NCL Jewel AB penthouse) I believe NCL has a bad reputation, based on cruises from years ago. Their new ships are classy and well laid out. They also offer great spa packages, which are wonderful for couples. What we love most about NCL is the perks given to suite guests. Dining on lobster and steak on your private balcony for $20 pp, is quite a bargain, and would make for a very romantic anniversary. Whatever you decide, have a great anniversary cruise.

We were on the Westerdam in April and would recommend it for a special event cruise such as an Anniversary cruise. We enjoyed excellent food and service, and thought the ship was beautiful.

April were we on the same cruise? I was on the April 13th to 19th cruise.

Have fun!

Just wanted to say if you run into Ann and Laurie from Ontario tell them hello for me! Bon voyage!

• 1 month later...
I cruised the Westerdam this past April and I will be on NCL Pearl Thanksgiving week, if you can wait another 6 and a half weeks, I can then give you a comparision.

We enjoyed the Pearl very much, but I give the Westerdam the edge-since this is for you and your hubby celebrating an anniversary. The Pearl is more of a family line.

Cruizinonup--

Happy Anniversary! From your comment that you are not "fancy people," I take it that you don't go for the formality on other cruises. If so, I think you'd be delighted with NCL, especially one of their newer, larger ships like the Pearl. You've got your choice of many different types of dining, none of which require extremes of dress. Service and food are very good, as is most of the entertainment.

I'm a HAL lover so that's the way I'd go. I like the size of the Vista ships, but have never been on Westerdam. We like the Oosterdam doing the Mexican Riviera trip - we did that for our 5th anniverdary.

Eurodam is new but I'm thinking it might be a bit too big for our tastes. Go over to the HAL board and read some of the things written there. That will help you make up your mind.

I do have to say, that as far as service, HAL is excellent.

I'm a HAL lover so that's the way I'd go. I like the size of the Vista ships, but have never been on Westerdam. We like the Oosterdam doing the Mexican Riviera trip - we did that for our 5th anniverdary.

Eurodam is new but I'm thinking it might be a bit too big for our tastes. Go over to the HAL board and read some of the things written there. That will help you make up your mind.

I do have to say, that as far as service, HAL is excellent.

The vista class attracts a "younger" crowd. My Westerdam cruise was VERY differant from my Statendam cruise. I was the "old gal" on the Westerdam at 50 something as the average age was about 35. On the Statendam at age 47 I was the "young gal" as the average age on that shuip would have been 65 or older.

On the Statendam everything closed up After the show in the Lounge was over. things were hopping more on the Westerdam. My daughter who loves the disco and karoke was never in our room before 2 am.

It was hard for me to believe I was on the same line. One thing though, we did the Statendam to alaska and the Westerdam we were in the caribbean-so perhaps where we were made the differance-not the ship.

To the OP-which is another thing, it seemed that the Pearl was not "hopping" as much as the Westerdam. That is why I felt you would prefer the Westerdam since it is just you and your hubby this cruise. I put it down to NCLt being more of a family line, you know, parents going to bed earlier, since they had their kids with them. But, we were on the ship Thanksgiving week, so perhaps, that week had more families than usual, perhaps, normally, there is more going on in the lounges later in the evening.

• 3 weeks later...
The vista class attracts a "younger" crowd. My Westerdam cruise was VERY differant from my Statendam cruise. I was the "old gal" on the Westerdam at 50 something as the average age was about 35. On the Statendam at age 47 I was the "young gal" as the average age on that shuip would have been 65 or older.

On the Statendam everything closed up After the show in the Lounge was over. things were hopping more on the Westerdam. My daughter who loves the disco and karoke was never in our room before 2 am.

It was hard for me to believe I was on the same line. One thing though, we did the Statendam to alaska and the Westerdam we were in the caribbean-so perhaps where we were made the differance-not the ship.

To the OP-which is another thing, it seemed that the Pearl was not "hopping" as much as the Westerdam. That is why I felt you would prefer the Westerdam since it is just you and your hubby this cruise. I put it down to NCLt being more of a family line, you know, parents going to bed earlier, since they had their kids with them. But, we were on the ship Thanksgiving week, so perhaps, that week had more families than usual, perhaps, normally, there is more going on in the lounges later in the evening.

Of course we were on the Pearl Thanksgiving week and that meant lots of extended families. Perhaps that is why it was not "hopping".

I do think the Pearl would be perfect if the OP were taking her children-but if it is just herself and her hubby, I believe the Westerdam would be a better choice.

My Dw and I are celebrating our 40th next year. We were thinking of going to Italy. Then I learned about repositioning cruises and found a dozen or more that cross the Atlantic, all at extremely reasonable rates.

if you have the time, this is the way to go.

Bon voyage

Paul

My Dw and I are celebrating our 40th next year. We were thinking of going to Italy. Then I learned about repositioning cruises and found a dozen or more that cross the Atlantic, all at extremely reasonable rates.

if you have the time, this is the way to go.

Bon voyage

Paul

Paul, my hubby and I did that for our 25th and loved it. we cruised from Dover, England to NJ/USA. You are right our 12 day was only slightly higher than a 7 day Caribbean. We used skymiles, so we did not have killer airfare either. Our only big expense was the three days we spent in England precruise.

When is your 40th? The Celebrity Solstice is repositioning from Italy Nov. 30, 2009 and it is for a great price. You should check it out.

OK, I know this is only a matter of opinion here, but I was hoping for some good advice. My husband and I have been on 7 cruises, all on Carnival smaller budget ships. Next year will be our 15th anniversary and we were wanting to plan something a little nicer. We would also like to go to the Eastern Car. I have looked at balcony cabins on Holland America-Westerdam and Eurodam, Norwegian Pearl, and Costa Atlantica. I really don't know how to choose between these. Can anyone give me some details from these ships if you have been on them. We love Carnival and are not fancy people by any means. Just wanted to try something a little nicer for the anniversary! Thanks in advance!

We went on a 10th anniversary cruise out of San Juan on RCCL - Empress of the Seas - a small ship but wonderful. The cruise was 10 days Eastern and Southern Caribbean. We had a fabulous time.

We have only been on two cruises, both on Costa, so I can't provide a comparison with other cruise lines. Our first cruise was on the Atlantica, in a partially obstructed balcony cabin which was quite a good size compared to the same category cabin that we will have on our upcoming Crown Princess cruise (if the photos I've seen are accurate).

We enjoyed the food; the crew, particularly the animation staff, were enthusiastic and outgoing. The Atlantica is a beautiful ship. And for the life of me I can't understand why folks would object to having announcements in more than one language. What's wrong with just listening to the bits you understand, and disregarding the translation?

Archived