Expedia Driving Me Crazy!!

Michael Kays

Anyone else have problems with Expedia??

I booked our airfare for upcoming cruise through Expedia in Jan 18, 2008. sinces then here is what has occured:

I have had 5 schedule changes..on my return flights from FLL, they held me over in Houston for 4 hours getting into Sacramento at midnight, and my original flight leaving at 5:50 and arriving in Sacramento at 7:50 was still available?

they have my wife and I seated on opposite ends of plane (9A AND 18B) for one of the two flights. Even AFTER I told them and they said they changed them. i contacted the airlines and was warned by airlines do not go in and try to change them myself, let the airlines do it, may cause even more of a problem.

MOST RECENT CHANGE THEY MOVED ME BACK TO MY ORIGINAL FLIGHTS (BUT STILL HAVE NOT FIXED SEATING) WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME (I found out by viewing my itienrary on Expedia)

We leave this Sunday and I was told by Continental Airlines to not contact Expedia to fix seating, they have me in 9a and 9b and they are issuing the tickets!

I also found out that becasue I booked through Expedia I cannot view my airline itinerary through Continental or Frontier Airlines websites, I called each airline and thye have me confirmed but I can't view directly..this means I can't print my advanced boarding pass?

I also called Expedia in regards to the most recent changes (which i was not even notified), it now says my flights were issued on October 15, 2008. They said changes were made to the reservations? The only changes were the schedule changes they made. Anyway, now its going to be up to me to hassle with airlines as to if I get the free baggage rates, or have to pay the $15 and $25 respectively for 1st and 2nd bags. I have the original Jan 18, 2008 docs but they say changes were made since that date. Both airlines policy says if you purchased tickets before May or June for flights after Oct 2 bags are free.

Can't wait to get on that ship and put this all behind me.

In the future I will never book through EXPEDIA, only directly through airlines.

I have never booked airfare through Expedia, but my ex does for our son, and I've never had any problem looking at his itineraries online or changing seating. After the tickets are booked, why would you deal with Expedia? Perhaps I'm not understanding something.

If you have a confirmation number from the airline, I don't understand why you cannot change your seats directly with that airline or why you can't access your itinerary online.

If you read the Expedia itinerary it cleary states you are supposed to go through them for any changes or questions. I have in the past and have had no problems. This time it's a nightmare.

I can change my seats directly on the airlines website, but those changes are not linked to Expedia..I contacted the airlines and they did it for me, and like I said, the airlines have me seated correctly, but the changes have not been updated by Expedia..I tried the first time by contacted Expedia, the problem occurred on the first schedule change sent by Expedia, they reassigned my seats to oppisite sides. At this point I'm leaving Expedia out of this. both airlines have me confirmed correctly.

I was told by the airlineas that it was because Expedia booked the flights I could not view directly through the air website.

On Expedia's webpage it states you need to call the airline directly to get a seat assignment or to change it, although on some flights, you are able to request a seat when you book, though this is not a guarantee you will get that seat.

You are supposed to go through Expedia for any changes to your flight or cancellations.

I can only tell you my personal experience with Expedia booked flights, and I have been able to view the reservation online directly with the airline, and check-in online. Expedia even provides you with a link to online check in. You just need your ticket number, confirmation number or sometimes just your FF number:

http://www.expedia.com/daily/service/online_checkin/default.asp

I booked our airfare for upcoming cruise through Expedia in Jan 18, 2008. sinces then here is what has occured:

I have had 5 schedule changes..on my return flights from FLL, they held me over in Houston for 4 hours getting into Sacramento at midnight, and my original flight leaving at 5:50 and arriving in Sacramento at 7:50 was still available?

they have my wife and I seated on opposite ends of plane (9A AND 18B) for one of the two flights. Even AFTER I told them and they said they changed them. i contacted the airlines and was warned by airlines do not go in and try to change them myself, let the airlines do it, may cause even more of a problem.

MOST RECENT CHANGE THEY MOVED ME BACK TO MY ORIGINAL FLIGHTS (BUT STILL HAVE NOT FIXED SEATING) WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME (I found out by viewing my itienrary on Expedia)

We leave this Sunday and I was told by Continental Airlines to not contact Expedia to fix seating, they have me in 9a and 9b and they are issuing the tickets!

I also found out that becasue I booked through Expedia I cannot view my airline itinerary through Continental or Frontier Airlines websites, I called each airline and thye have me confirmed but I can't view directly..this means I can't print my advanced boarding pass?

I also called Expedia in regards to the most recent changes (which i was not even notified), it now says my flights were issued on October 15, 2008. They said changes were made to the reservations? The only changes were the schedule changes they made. Anyway, now its going to be up to me to hassle with airlines as to if I get the free baggage rates, or have to pay the $15 and $25 respectively for 1st and 2nd bags. I have the original Jan 18, 2008 docs but they say changes were made since that date. Both airlines policy says if you purchased tickets before May or June for flights after Oct 2 bags are free.

In the future I will never book through EXPEDIA, only directly through airlines.

I book direct with the airline whenever possible, so I can deal direct with the provider if there is an issue, and I book online. Especially those that guarantee the lowest price at their website. Airlines are making schedule changes and adding surcharges, so it may not be solely Expedia's actions. I know that when I book online at my airlines website, there isn't a service fee for the booking. However if I called for the reservation, there is a service charge. Does Expedia charge a service fee for a reservation?

I called Frontier airlines and they said the reason I can't view my itinerary is because Expedia does not contract with VirtuallyThere.com, evidently this is a company/product Frontier uses. they did say I would be able to get access to my boarding pass within 24 hours of flight through Frontiers website. This remains to be seen. No way to verify until flight time.

In the future I will never book through EXPEDIA, only directly through airlines.[/quote]

Good thinking..... and FYI... the flight schedule changes have nothing to do with Expedia... they are only the source you booked thru that in the end cost you more than booking direct with the airline ! Good lesson learned though :rolleyes:

Try booking through Orbitz next time - I had a great experience using them in August. I was on Delta from LAX-ATL-ROME and got to pick my own seats via the Internet. However, on the return flight on Alitalia, it said airport check-in only for seats so I called Alitalia directly and since the flight was wide open, they were able to confirm my seats - not sure why I couldn't have done it myself but food for thought here - had a great experience with Orbitz and they kept me aprised of some minor flight time changes via E-mail.

Well, relax.

First off, Expedia doesn't do airline schedule changes....the airlines do that.

Expedia doesn't pick your seats....the airlines do that.

You can certainly view your reservation on the airline website by having the airline confirmation number available. Expedia will give that to you....and it will be located on the email they send showing your flights.

The only thing Expedia does is offer the flights that are available on the dates you want to travel. After you have selected your flights, they issue the ticket....that's the end of their involvement in your reservation. They can request seating but they cannot assign your seats.

• 3 weeks later...

second off..Expedia does do changes..I found out that because I got an exceptional deal early..Expedia, NOT Continental were the ones that changed my flight to a much later flight to free up the earlier flight seats ad more than double the price I paid for them. I found this out through Continental airlines who was able to review the changes and see who made them..

I like Expedia. I had to cancel a ressie once, which I knew was non-refundable, and they gave me half of it in coupon credits for future travel....just because.

I just used another coupon for a hotel after our cruise next March, and I also got one of their credit cards for an instant $50 off our other hotel booking. I haven't paid the "Expedia price" in a long time with all this coupon stuff, and their prices are usually pretty good.

Whenever I book through an online web site, I always call them first, BUT I also try to see my ressie on the airline or hotel web site, too. If there's a change, I start at the beginning (in this case Expedia), and then go to the airline to make sure the change is showing (either checking myself or asking them to check for me if I cannot see it).

I think the confusion for the OP is both the flights and the seats had to be changed.

First, the two large online travel agencies mentioned above are still travel agencies, and such discussions by name are not allowed on the boards.

As to the problems incurred, it might have been due to the type of ticket (consolidator?) issued, and/or it might simply be a perversity of the booking system used by your Travel Agency. Either way, you have to go to your travel agent to ask what limitations and access you have to the airline site or functions. And I agree with the poster above regarding flight changes, time changes and equipment changes...that is the airline, not the travel agency.

I like to have full control over my ticket, so I rarely book through a travel agency; I will use them or one of the travel search engines to research the ticket prices, but I usually buy directly through the airline. If an agency is selling at price lower than the airline, it is usually a consolidator class ticket.

First, the two large online travel agencies mentioned above are still travel agencies, and such discussions by name are not allowed on the boards.

I just read the guidelines, and I believe they are focused on not recommending cruise travel agents / agencies. We are discussing these web sites in reference to airline reservations, and I believe these types of posts are allowed.

I frequently find the airlines charge more for their airfares. I always go to the airline's web site to see if they have that fare posted, and frequently what I can find on airgorilla (or others mentioned above) is cheaper. Sometimes not, and I buy through the airline.

I rarely book through expedia, travelocity or orbitz. They charge a few extra dollars ($6-7) and if there are any problems, you may have to deal with outsourced overseas phone reps.

I booked only 3 times on expedia. One was a Christmas ticket several years ago (with creative routing & prime dates ;)) LAX-MBS (Los Angeles-Saginaw, MI) that was $160. (usual price $350-400+ on non holiday season). With United, it would have been $800+. Another time was a $150 ticket Denver-Frankfurt. The other was a $160 Los Angeles-Atlanta on Midwest back when they had the nice meals. :)

The Atlanta got double charged but expedia removed the extra charge & Midwest refunded me on the fare drop. :)

Bottom line: I would only use expedia if the fare is alot less than booking with the airlines direct.

I just wanted to confirm. Some of you are saying that you have gotten better deals using Expedia than booking directly? I use their tour to compare different air fares, but always book directly. I have never found it less expensive and I always wonder why people book with them. Perhaps this is because I using book with either American, United, or Spirit. I have always found the same or lower fare when booking directly. Is it related to using different carriers for each segment. I do not do this nor have I priced this option.

I just wanted to confirm. Some of you are saying that you have gotten better deals using Expedia than booking directly? I use their tour to compare different air fares, but always book directly. I have never found it less expensive and I always wonder why people book with them. Perhaps this is because I using book with either American, United, or Spirit. I have always found the same or lower fare when booking directly. Is it related to using different carriers for each segment. I do not do this nor have I priced this option.

For the first time, I booked our air thru Expedia. I checked NWA and their price was really, really high. We will be flying NWA to Miami (Jan.) and returning via Delta. For some reason or other the price was substantially higher thru NWA even though they did have the Delta flight on their web site. Another reason, we both applied for their credit card which gave us each $50.00 off on our first Expedia purchase. Had to get both of us accepted by the credit card before I booked either. It was kind of a pain having to get our tickets individually, especially if the price had jumped while I was doing the 2nd one. Our itinerary showed both NWA Conf. # and Delta Conf. #. I went into both of them and chose our seats.

Another reason, we both applied for their credit card which gave us each $50.00 off on our first Expedia purchase.

Since there are a number of airline cards that are giving 25,000 miles for new accounts, $50 seems like a small reason for getting an Expedia card. Even assigning a value of only a penny a mile, that's roughly a $250 value. Or the Starwood Amex, where the 25,000 points gets you several nights at some nice properties or a conversion to miles with a 25% bonus (20K points gets you 25K miles).

I would go to your reservations on the DL and NW websites and find out exactly what your fare basis codes are, and then go to the fare rules for those codes. Read/print those, so you know just what you ended up buying.

Given that they are DL and NW, it's possible that you have a published fare that combines the two airlines. But, you could also have non-published fares with significant restrictions. Better to find out now.

No, I use Expedia for hotels, if their rate is lower. I use airgorilla.com for air comparisons, and find their rate are sometimes cheaper than the airline itself. I was checking for a friend within the last few weeks and found this to be true.

Expedia is great for hotels, and they are good at coupon giving if you sign up for their emails.

Archived