availability of bottled water

imanewcruiser

I've seen in some posts that people bring their own bottled water. I just assumed that bottled water would be available free of charge in your room or at the bar. What's the cost for a bottle? Is it worth the effort to bring your own?

If anything, we carry one bottle on with us, or buy one onboard. Then we just refill it from the tap and put it in the frig for the next day. The water onboard the ship is as pure as the bottled water, so no problem there.

If you feel more comfortable drinking bottled water, then go for it, but honestly, ships water is perfectly acceptable and there is no need for bottled water only for drinking.

Did you read the news lately about the impurities of bottled water? The ships water is probably more pure than bottled water as the process they use removes all impurities and minerals. We just brought a couple of empty bottles and filled them in the room.

BTW, gratuity of 15% is added also to the $3.75 larger bottle in your cabin.

You're right, just checked out bill....$4.03. Bit ridiculous don't you think for her reaching into the fridge and giving me a cold one. I guess it's no different than a beer :)

Did you read the news lately about the impurities of bottled water? The ships water is probably more pure than bottled water as the process they use removes all impurities and minerals. We just brought a couple of empty bottles and filled them in the room.

You and I know that ;) .... but some folks need to have their Gucci water. :rolleyes: :D Some have posted they even drag aboard a specific label like Propel.

If anything, we carry one bottle on with us, or buy one onboard. Then we just refill it from the tap and put it in the frig for the next day. The water onboard the ship is as pure as the bottled water, so no problem there.

That is what we do too. Makes it a lot more convenient not having to sign a tab to haul a bottle of water in our backpack when departing on a tour. Plus the last thing I would want to do is schlep a case aboard. :rolleyes:

If you feel more comfortable drinking bottled water, then go for it, but honestly, ships water is perfectly acceptable and there is no need for bottled water only for drinking.

The most common reason I have seen posted is people claim the salt content is too high for them and it makes their ankles swell. May be I guess...... Never have heard of anyone analyzing the ship's water for salt content. Real reason could be they are probably on their feet and walking more than any other time when they are home.

The most common reason I have seen posted is people claim the salt content is too high for them and it makes their ankles swell. May be I guess...... Never have heard of anyone analyzing the ship's water for salt content. Real reason could be they are probably on their feet and walking more than any other time when they are home.

THat is crazy!:rolleyes: LOL.

The water on the ship is produced by reversoe osmosis (demineralized). It is the same way that Dasani and Aquafina produce water from the local water supply.

IMO, the food on the cruise has a high salt content. Normally, one does not eat "Restaurant" food continuously for 7 days and more.

IMO, the food on the cruise has a high salt content. Normally, one does not eat "Restaurant" food continuously for 7 days and more.

Yes, the food I can understand, but not the water. There are low salt options available for anyone who would like to ask for them. They will specially prepare the food low salt.

Not all tap water is produced from reversed osmosis, a goodly portion being loaded aboard at port. You can usually tell that day with the increased amount of chlorine present but certainly no more so than that of city water supply.

We keep 500 ml sized plastic bottles available for filling in the morning from the melted ice found in the bucket which for some reason never has a chlorine odour. Before heading out on tour we fill and wrap these in hand towels to partially maintain the cool temperature and place in our carry-on.

That is what we do too. Makes it a lot more convenient not having to sign a tab to haul a bottle of water in our backpack when departing on a tour. Plus the last thing I would want to do is schlep a case aboard. :rolleyes:

Yeah, really! If I had to schlep a case of water, I might not have room for the case of wine......

THat is crazy!:rolleyes: LOL.

The water on the ship is produced by reverse osmosis (demineralized). It is the same way that Dasani and Aquafina produce water from the local water supply.

To be precise the water on board ship is NOT made by RO (reverse osmosis) but by evaporators.

RO systems are finicky and expensive to maintain. evaporators are basically pots of sea water from which the steam is purified and turned into very pure drinking water.

RO is best suited to stand alone systems where the energy is entirely directed to making fresh water. On a cruise ship there is plenty of waste heat available to augment the evaporators needs.

Older ships would still take on water in port, but the majority of modern cruise ship use evaporation (not Reverse osmosis) to turn sea water into drinking water.

To be precise the water on board ship is NOT made by RO (reverse osmosis) but by evaporators. .

Naughty Princess for telling us in a lecture that they use reverse osmosis to produce some of their potable water. And shame on Oceania for telling us the same lies...

Archived