Carnival is playing hardball with OBC for price drops on military rates after final p

My next cruise went down $24 per cabin (2 booked) and carnival said I could get the credit but have to go down 2 categories (4D to 4B) to get it. I inquired why as they are offering the same category I currently have (4D) for $24 per cabin less than I paid. They pretty much said that is the way it is and got the same response from 2 other people when I called back.

Not that $24 per cabin is that big of a deal but it is the principle of it as I never had a problem with this in the past. I guess with the already super low prices they are doing a bit of belt tightening along with eliminating the dividend on stock holders.

BTW I am looking closely on the 8 day SPLENDOR 12/6 cruise which I can get for $425 PP for everything (fare, taxes, fuel etc.) and get a 4G cabin. Call me greedy but I will wait a day or so more as these 8 day cruise prices in Nov/Dec. have been falling literally daily.

My next cruise went down $24 per cabin (2 booked) and carnival said I could get the credit but have to go down 2 categories (4D to 4B) to get it. I inquired why as they are offering the same category I currently have (4D) for $24 per cabin less than I paid. They pretty much said that is the way it is and got the same response from 2 other people when I called back.

Not that $24 per cabin is that big of a deal but it is the principle of it as I never had a problem with this in the past. I guess with the already super low prices they are doing a bit of belt tightening along with eliminating the dividend on stock holders.

BTW I am looking closely on the 8 day SPLENDOR 12/6 cruise which I can get for $425 PP for everything (fare, taxes, fuel etc.) and get a 4G cabin. Call me greedy but I will wait a day or so more as these 8 day cruise prices in Nov/Dec. have been falling literally daily.

I would call back and speak to another res. agent/supervisor and see what the next "tale" will be.

Cruiselines and TA's are taking a hit with all these lower rates and OBC's, but I had said in another post that eventually CCL and other cruiselines are either going to have to place a limit on # of OBC's that can happen or limit to a certain amount of OBC. They cannot keep doing this and survive for long without cutting somewhere else. I am all in favor of OBC's.... but something is going to give here soon if it continues much longer at the pace it is occuring and the $$$'s keep being provided due to lower fares.

It should be interesting if and when the financial condition of the economy gets stronger and these rate reductions stop.... then there will be a lotta "Whine" being served with cheese from passengers I believe ! :eek:

travelntreats - I agree. Plus the overhead that they must be incurring handling (probably) more calls for price adjustments (and associated issues)than they are for new bookings. I suspect that the "only 2 OBC's" that some PVP's quote is actually the plan for the future. ken

travelntreats - I agree. Plus the overhead that they must be incurring handling (probably) more calls for price adjustments (and associated issues)than they are for new bookings. I suspect that the "only 2 OBC's" that some PVP's quote is actually the plan for the future. ken

It has gotten completely out of control... people paying too much to start with and then as if the economy crashed is not bad enough, the cancellations began, so the cruiseline says "Lower those rates" and then the snowball effect begins. I forsee a limit being placed in the near future and being strictly enforced or trouble could be lurking on the horizon ! :eek:

It has gotten completely out of control... people paying too much to start with and then as if the economy crashed is not bad enough, the cancellations began, so the cruiseline says "Lower those rates" and then the snowball effect begins. I forsee a limit being placed in the near future and being strictly enforced or trouble could be lurking on the horizon ! :eek:

Trouble is already lurking have you seen the price of the stock? Also they just eliminated the dividend and lowered the EPS guidance for next quarter. I hope they have enough sense to hedge the fuel prices at these levels because they won't be there for long.

Trouble is already lurking have you seen the price of the stock? Also they just eliminated the dividend and lowered the EPS guidance for next quarter. I hope they have enough sense to hedge the fuel prices at these levels because they won't be there for long.

I am certainly aware of watching my stock dwindle away !!! But it will rebound and as long as they keep providing those OBC for shareholders I will stick with my shares..... Fortunately I bought in low... it went up and so my losses (paper) are only in the profits made from the stock. Cruiselines are taking a hit and I could share some stories of TA's that are crying now more than ever wondering if they are going to be able to pay their bills due to the revenue lost in commisions lately ! It is a dismal picture to say the least and does not look like the light at the end of the tunnel is anywhere near in sight for a while. :eek:

They have always resisted stacking discounts with the military rate.

Did you book a 4D, or get upgraded?

Did the 4D advertised price drop $24. or did the military rate drop $24. There is a difference.

Dan

They have always resisted stacking discounts with the military rate.

Did you book a 4D, or get upgraded?

Did the 4D advertised price drop $24. or did the military rate drop $24. There is a difference.

Dan

Military rate dropped. It is the exact same thing as when I booked only the price went down. Booked military 4A with free upgrade to 4D for $175 plus fees, now at $151 military price for a 4A with free upgrade to 4D. Like I said they are tightening up I believe. Maybe they should come out with a blanket policy of OBC after final payment instead of this adhoc way of who you talked to and what mood they are in and so on.

I was extremely lucky to have two inside cabins rebooked at the military rate on our Freedom cruise in 2 weeks. I really see it as a glass half full or half empty. If I book early and see really low rates inside the penalty may not get those rates but I have a cabin I wanted. If I wait until last minute and can't get a cabin I want at least I saved some money (possibly).

Cruise Critic is a very small minority of the cruising world. Maybe 2% any any given ship posts here (that's 600 out of 3,000 passengers)? I wouldn't be surprised if the lines say no more OBC after final payment. It only makes sense. How many other items can you call back numerous times and ask for some money back when the price changes after final payment?

I was extremely lucky to have two inside cabins rebooked at the military rate on our Freedom cruise in 2 weeks. I really see it as a glass half full or half empty. If I book early and see really low rates inside the penalty may not get those rates but I have a cabin I wanted. If I wait until last minute and can't get a cabin I want at least I saved some money (possibly).

Cruise Critic is a very small minority of the cruising world. Maybe 2% any any given ship posts here (that's 600 out of 3,000 passengers)? I wouldn't be surprised if the lines say no more OBC after final payment. It only makes sense. How many other items can you call back numerous times and ask for some money back when the price changes after final payment?

It is a fine line that both the consumer and Carnival walks. Carnival wants to know the ships are booked up...but consumers don't want to pay to much extra for securing that perfect cabin. (decisions...decisions)

As long as Carnival does not start charging me more when the price goes up!!!;)

The title of the thread indicates that you made final payment. I didn't think you could get a price drop after you have made final payment, so I have never tried. Did I shortchange myself? Or, is it different if you are not within the cancellation windows (70 days before cruise)?

The title of the thread indicates that you made final payment. I didn't think you could get a price drop after you have made final payment, so I have never tried. Did I shortchange myself? Or, is it different if you are not within the cancellation windows (70 days before cruise)?

Not actually a "Price Drop".... After final payment any price drops (if applicable) then turn into OBC's.

Not actually a "Price Drop".... After final payment any price drops (if applicable) then turn into OBC's.

OMG! I've been cruising 9 years and I never knew that! Just when I thought I could never learn anything new on these boards anymore, I do. Is this just RCCL or do the other lines (Carnival) do it this way also? The price drop has always prevented me from wanting to pay off my cruise early. But to me, an OBC is the same thing as it comes off my total cruise cost.:)

OMG! I've been cruising 9 years and I never knew that! Just when I thought I could never learn anything new on these boards anymore, I do. Is this just RCCL or do the other lines (Carnival) do it this way also? The price drop has always prevented me from wanting to pay off my cruise early. But to me, an OBC is the same thing as it comes off my total cruise cost.:)

Well with CCL it works as OBC for rate reductions AFTER final payment has been made.... with RCL, they USUALLY will refund the difference back to the c.card that was used for final payment. Paying off early has no bearing... you would just need to watch the rates for reductions before -and- after final payment date even if you chose to pay off early. I do not follow the pay off early theme as I would rather hold onto my money as long as I can !

You've got almost 5000 post and din't know that you could call and get a price drop.

I also read on here many post from people who have said they never knew they could do that.

I would bet that a very high percentage of cruisers who don't even know Cruise Critic exist don't have a clue about getting the lower price if the price drops.

It seems like there are a lot of people calling to get price reductions but that's because they are members here and found about it here.

I'd really be interested in knowing how many people who are not CC members call for price drops.

I'd bet the number is really low.

Bill

Cruise Critic is a very small minority of the cruising world. Maybe 2% any any given ship posts here (that's 600 out of 3,000 passengers)?

I agree with you that CC members are a small % of the cruising world, but recheck your numbers. 2% of 3,000 is 60, not 600. D/W and I have been cruising since 1992, and I only found out about this site last year.

We are in the same situation. We booked the Splendor 12/6 cruise several weeks ago and paid around just over $1200 for a 4A inside cabin military rate. However, last week I noticed that the rates dropped a ton. So, I called my TA and asked what Carnival would do. They basically gave me three options: 1. upgrade to a balcony for free; 2. upgrade to the OV with 150 OBC or 3. Stay with the 4A and get $350 OBC.

We took the large OBC and we wanted an inside mid ship cabin anyway.

But yes they give OBC even for military rates. However, the price dropped another $100 from last week to this one. But I called again and couldn't get another OBC. But I figured that I would be pushing my luck and really didn't expect it anyway.

Never hurts to ask, the worst they can tell you is no

This is my first time post!!

I just booked Splendor 12/13 two days ago, 4A $299. They assigned me a 4F in the Lido Deck. The price dropped $50 per person yesterday ($100 saving for two of us). I called my TA and they said they need to charge $50 rebooking fee, so I can only get $50 back. And she said I might end up staying in the Rivera deck without being upgrade if I took the $50. Is that true?

So for only $50 should I just stay where I am at?

Thanks!!

I just booked Splendor 12/13 two days ago, 4A $299. They assigned me a 4F in the Lido Deck. The price dropped $50 per person yesterday ($100 saving for two of us). I called my TA and they said they need to charge $50 rebooking fee, so I can only get $50 back. And she said I might end up staying in the Rivera deck without being upgrade if I took the $50. Is that true?

So for only $50 should I just stay where I am at?

Thanks!!

If you booked a 4A guarantee and got a free upgrade to a 4F, then if the 4F price has not dropped, then no, you cant keep the cabin if the 4A price you paid drops. The 4F price has to have dropped below what you paid to keep your cabin.

My TA has already refused to do more price adjustments too, says its not worth it for the little they are making. Its not just Carnival balking.

I just booked Splendor 12/13 two days ago, 4A $299. They assigned me a 4F in the Lido Deck. The price dropped $50 per person yesterday ($100 saving for two of us). I called my TA and they said they need to charge $50 rebooking fee, so I can only get $50 back. And she said I might end up staying in the Rivera deck without being upgrade if I took the $50. Is that true?Thanks!!

If I was charged a $50 rebooking fee by a TA, I would find another TA. Have used TA's in the past and never been charged a fee like this to get an OBC or any other $$ drop.

The one that I booked is 4A GUAR, which is now $249. The price for 4F now is $304. Basically 4F is still a higher price than what I have paid? Does it mean I won't get an ungrade if I take the price drop?

Right, since you only paid for a 4A guarantee, you will go back into the guarantee pool. You could luck out and get the same cabin, or get a 4A cabin on Riveria deck.

If the 4F price is still higher than what you paid, you are not entitled to a OBC for price drop if you want to keep your cabin. your choice.

Archived