Regent vs. Crystal

azkitty

Debbie,

As you are aware, the cabins on Regent & Silversea are fabulous. To equal them on Crystal you practically need to book PH level. While the cabins below PH level are well appointed and comfortable, the do not approximate the standard SS/Regent cabin. Perhpas you and your Mom can 'screen' Crystal for your husband; if he loves the size of SS, larger liners may not be his choice. I don't think that service will be the issue.

We're boarding the Voyager at noon today, met a couple in AER lingus lounge Friday night who has 35 cruises between them and are die hard crystal lovers..tho they have sailed the Diamond (when Regent was Radisson and not AI)...will get their view of Regent at end of our crossing and either ask them to post their thoughts or I will r/wes

We're boarding the Voyager at noon today, met a couple in AER lingus lounge Friday night who has 35 cruises between them and are die hard crystal lovers..tho they have sailed the Diamond (when Regent was Radisson and not AI)...will get their view of Regent at end of our crossing and either ask them to post their thoughts or I will r/wes

Thanks for taking the time to post. Just a bit jealous that you are now on our favorite ship;) Look forward to your review.

In terms of the people you met who love Crystal. . . . the odds are quite high that they will continue to prefer Crystal. They will probably find Regent's service to be less polished than Regent. . . the entertainment pretty poor. . . may or may not find the food equal -- probably lower quality than Crystal. If a Regent loyalist went on Crystal, they would more than likely prefer Regent.

The Crystal vs. Regent (or Regent vs. Crystal) threads repeat on CC quite often and, hopefully, are informational for those who are debating between the two. The threads clearly indicate which ship is larger, which is AI and has open seating, where the entertainment is a strong point and which cruiseline has a cabin that would be more to the person's liking.

IMO, it is not likely that a long time Regent customer will change to Crystal. . . or visa versa.

Travelcat,

I know that each line has dedicated pax and I do no know about the 'rate of change' or the rate of possibility of change....however, whenever I am fortunate enough to be cruising I generally meet a lot of pax who have sailed a number of lines. In this grouping they seem to go back and forth among Crystal, Regent and SS, adding Oceania now & then. For many of us a particular itinerary or an attractive price lures us to a particular cruise. Each line offers something appealing. And, of course, most people have favorites. For myself, the biggest challenge is to observe my own admonition not to constantly compare and contrast but rather, to relax and enjoy that particular line & cruise!

Have a great time ColonelWes.........Paula

Paula, the cabin size is the main reason I haven't done Crystal and have considered going on it alone. We really need our space to enjoy each other's company to the fullest, lol.

Wes, have a great time, and I look forward to hearing about your trip and also about the other couple's thoughts.

Travelcat,

I know that each line has dedicated pax and I do no know about the 'rate of change' or the rate of possibility of change....however, whenever I am fortunate enough to be cruising I generally meet a lot of pax who have sailed a number of lines. In this grouping they seem to go back and forth among Crystal, Regent and SS, adding Oceania now & then. For many of us a particular itinerary or an attractive price lures us to a particular cruise. Each line offers something appealing. And, of course, most people have favorites. For myself, the biggest challenge is to observe my own admonition not to constantly compare and contrast but rather, to relax and enjoy that particular line & cruise!

Have a great time ColonelWes.........Paula

Paula,

I agree that there are many people who have sailed on many lines and are happy doing so. We cruised on a few ships prior to Regent. Once we found Regent, we found our comfort zone. The people I referred to in previous posts are those that tend to be loyal to one line. There are a few people who regularly sail on Regent that prefer other lines and spend a lot of time making comparisons. If Regent doesn't meet someone's expectations, it really is not a big deal. Hopefully they will be happy with Crystal, SB or SS.

If there was a great itinerary at a discounted price on another luxury line, we'd certainly consider it. We understand that SB and SS are a bit too small for us and that Crystal is a bit large with set seating, etc. We would only be cruising another line for the destination and would not spend a moment complaining, comparing or wishing we were on Regent.

I do appreciate your comments. . . :)

I must wonder why Crystal wins awards year after year with the exception of one year when RSSC won the T&L award by a very small margin.

As I have said, dining on Crystal is flexible with the exception of the MDR. Their are four other venues that are not fixed available to guests. Crystal has Silk Roads <which pales in comparison to Latitudes> Prego, Casual on-deck dining and of course room service.

We are not MDR people and opt for the other venues on many nights and eat when we want to. If we decide to eat earlier in the MDR we simply make a call and have always been accommodated. Really, it is not so stringent.

I must wonder why Crystal wins awards year after year with the exception of one year when RSSC won the T&L award by a very small margin.

As I have said, dining on Crystal is flexible with the exception of the MDR. Their are four other venues that are not fixed available to guests. Crystal has Silk Roads <which pales in comparison to Latitudes> Prego, Casual on-deck dining and of course room service.

We are not MDR people and opt for the other venues on many nights and eat when we want to. If we decide to eat earlier in the MDR we simply make a call and have always been accommodated. Really, it is not so stringent.

Suite Travels,

I believe that Crystal deserved the awards it has won. Regent has also deserved their awards (more than you have mentioned -- perhaps because they sometimes qualify in some "small ship" and "medium ship" categories.

I cannot speak for others on this thread - only for myself. The slightly less than "polished" service that we receive on Regent is exactly what feels comfortable for us. We neither enjoy "formal" nights or ultra formal service. We do enjoy the type of service we receive on Regent (relaxed formality?) We appreciate the larger suites and the all inclusivity. It is not necessary to remember our name. . . a smile and and warm greeting when a staff member passes us is fine. This may not work for others, but it does work for us.

The size of a ship is also a major consideration. We do find the Navigator (490) to be just about perfect in terms of size (although they do not have enough dining choices). SB is quite a bit smaller than Regent. We have been on small ships (in Egypt, Fiji, etc.). They are "okay" -- just not a preference. SS is a bit larger -- a bit more formal. . . . if/when we try another line, it will probably be SS. Crystal is large -- no, it isn't huge -- but it is "large" by our standards. The "regular" cabins are small -- no balcony. When I read the menu online for one of their other restaurants, I was put off by the "suggested wines" for each course (that the passenger pays for) and the suggested tip at the bottom of each page. It is important to us that the staff be paid appropriately. Somehow their service seems more genuine when they are not doing it for a good tip. (Just my opinion). Perhaps some of this comes from the fact that I was born in the U.S. and my DH is British. I tip heavier -- we have had to negotiate tips for the past "almost" 30 years. Being on Regent, this discussion does not have to take place:D

Now I have a question for you. You have taken five Regent cruises and prefer Crystal. That's fine -- you are certainly entitled to your preference. You will no doubt enjoy SB very much as they are highly rated for service. My question is . . . . . why have you repeatedly cruised on Regent? If I wasn't satisfied with a cruise line, they would not see me again.

We started cruising on the Mariner before it was all inclusive with friends who just could not afford Crystal. When Regent became all inclusive we were on the first one which was the Presidential cruise and that was on the Voyager. Our thought was since Regent was operating the line that it would be a great improvement, so we gave it another try. Unfortunately that cruise was a mess. The staff was not aware that all drinks were AI. What was up with that? In the end we were not charged, but why was the bar staff not aware of this?

Due to the significant increase in fares and lack of two for ones, our friends can no longer afford Regent. We are looking forward to the new 450 passenger SB Odyssey next November which we have heard so many good things about.

TC, we have sailed on both lines and we do have something to compare. I think you would be surprised if you tried Crystal. Granted the suites on Regent are the best at sea, but that is where it ends with us. Food and service on Crystal is beyond Regent's imagination. And no, Crystal is not at all a snob line.

I also might add that we will not be cruising on Regent until their product improves. We have seen too many changes in management and have heard from other posters the deterioration in service and quality.

Travelcat

I cannot speak for others on this thread - only for myself. The slightly less than "polished" service that we receive on Regent is exactly what feels comfortable for us. We neither enjoy "formal" nights or ultra formal service. We do enjoy the type of service we receive on Regent (relaxed formality?) We appreciate the larger suites and the all inclusivity. It is not necessary to remember our name. . . a smile and and warm greeting when a staff member passes us is fine. This may not work for others, but it does work for us.

The size of a ship is also a major consideration. We do find the Navigator (490) to be just about perfect in terms of size (although they do not have enough dining choices). SB is quite a bit smaller than Regent. We have been on small ships (in Egypt, Fiji, etc.). They are "okay" -- just not a preference. SS is a bit larger -- a bit more formal. . . . if/when we try another line, it will probably be SS. Crystal is large -- no, it isn't huge -- but it is "large" by our standards. The "regular" cabins are small -- no balcony. When I read the menu online for one of their other restaurants, I was put off by the "suggested wines" for each course (that the passenger pays for) and the suggested tip at the bottom of each page. It is important to us that the staff be paid appropriately.

We are new cruisers, but these were exactly our reasons for choosing Regent. We were so pleased with the first cruise that we have booked two more Regent cruises - will see if we are still as happy. We have neighbors who have cruised extensively on Crystal and their one complaint is the number of formal nights -- at least the wife does not like the formal nights at all, the husband likes them more. Our TA advised us to consider Regent over SS because of the formality of SS. In our limited experience, the Regent level of informality was perfect. If I had my choice, I would avoid formal nights completely, although I do not consider wearing a tie "formal".

I am open to considering other lines depending on the itinerary and have been looking at Crystal for a Panama canal cruise. However, the aggression against Regent shown by some of the contributors to this thread makes me seriously wonder if I would be happy on Crystal. I understand someone who says the lines are different and prefers one over the other. I do not understand why someone who prefers Crystal would come on a thread on the Regent board only to attack Regent. One of the normally most gracious posters on the Crystal board (Keith1010) has commented that he did not understand why people would come on the Crystal board to attack Crystal. I agree. I do not disagree with people pointing out differences between the lines and expressing preferences. I just wonder at the motivation of someone who feels compelled to state that everything on Regent is bad and everything on Crystal is good -- and anything that someone might consider better on Regent is unimportant. People like different things, and put different priorities on the various parameters of a cruise. If we enjoy a certain line, great!. Trying to persuade others that our choices are better than their choices is unproductive and unlikely to be successful (IMHO).

mike

Suite Travels -- I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. And, hearing the differences between the two cruise lines from someone who has cruised both Regent and Crystal is helpful. However, (you knew a "but" or "however" was coming:-) MikeIam is right. . . . the Regent board is the last place to post negative things about Regent.

Not to sound corny. . . but, this week is Thanksgiving. Those of us who have been able to cruise on any of the luxury or premium cruise ships have a lot to be thankful for. Silversea, Regent, Crystal and Seabourn are all award winning cruise lines. They are not the same. . . neither are the people who cruise on them. There have been so many disagreements about Regent and Crystal. Hopefully this time we can just accept the fact that they are different but beautiful.

Travelcat2,

I completely agree that each of the lines you mentioned is exceptional in its own way and appeals to different people for its uniqueness. I have never understood why posters on all these boards become so defensive and partisan about the line they prefer. Why spend one ounce of energy arguing that one is better than the other? There is no such thing as best cruise line, there is only the cruise line you prefer.

Archived