Cruise Value Center agency went under...

Moonlight Beach

Amazing that you got him to answer the phone much less talk to you. That must have been incredibly frustrating and maddening. God bless you! Twenty years ago I lost a couple of thousand dollars to a custom draperies company that did much what CVC did to you and others. I went to his bankruptcy hearing and appeared along with a whole long list of customers and creditors only to be told "good luck collecting" as everything he owned was actually leased or purchased on credit. When the hearing was over I unfortunately got stuck in the same elevator with this fellow. At least he got a piece of my mind on the way down but I never recovered a penny.

Ok all...this is the best I can do to help.

Richard Smith 248 705-8665 Cell

Ronald Smith 248 705 613 2424 Cell

248 333 9701 direct office line

248 333 9703 direct office line

248 338 9577 Home

Best of luck to all of you as I am still trying to sort out my mess with NCL.

The money they collected and didnt pay to the cruiselines had left over 1000 bookings with different cruiselines unpaid. The deposited clients are left without their offers so it is very nice of HAL to help out and I sincerely hope the other cruiselines will do the same or at least allow us clients to move our bookings to an agent that wants to help us.

Ok all...this is the best I can do to help.

Richard Smith 248 705-8665 Cell

Ronald Smith 248 705 613 2424 Cell

248 333 9701 direct office line

248 333 9703 direct office line

248 338 9577 Home

Best of luck to all of you as I am still trying to sort out my mess with NCL.

The money they collected and didnt pay to the cruiselines had left over 1000 bookings with different cruiselines unpaid. The deposited clients are left without their offers so it is very nice of HAL to help out and I sincerely hope the other cruiselines will do the same or at least allow us clients to move our bookings to an agent that wants to help us.

What is the chance of them signing a release form? Unlike the large mass market lines, the smaller ones want a signed release as they do not want to pay commission twice.

The cruiselines are releasing the bookings back to the cleints directly now that the agency has not answered it's phones in over a week. There are forms that a person can sign to release their booking to another agency or to themselves. You can have the cruiseline fax you the forms to get this done. if it is a paid in full booking I dont know how that works and of course you can use any of those numbers to call and ask the Smith Brothers (they are twins) if they will release something.

This is really sad and horrible for all innocent people involved. I used them once about 2 years ago and they were wonderful, including the agent I worked with. It's so sad these crooks can do this to people and I hope they are screwed financially themselves for life and go to prison.

Jade13 - if there is a specific question or problem or cruiseline you need help with I would be happy to try and get you an answer and post it here. I am checking in constantly for any updates both on this board, with NCL and with my family member that worked at CVC because they are getting updates daily what each cruiseline is doing to help rectify the problem.

The cruiselines are releasing the bookings back to the cleints directly now that the agency has not answered it's phones in over a week. There are forms that a person can sign to release their booking to another agency or to themselves. You can have the cruiseline fax you the forms to get this done. if it is a paid in full booking I dont know how that works and of course you can use any of those numbers to call and ask the Smith Brothers (they are twins) if they will release something.

Any idea of what their Email addresses might be? It's a long shot but maybe they will sign a release form if I send it by Email/pdf. This is not a mass market line issue and unfortunately the supplier will not release the booking without a signed form as they do not want to have to pay commission twice.

richardsmith@cruisesofdistinction.com

ronaldsmith@cruisesofdistinction.com

If you need a contact at this smaller line or someone to help (go to bat for you) to get this released back to you then feel free to let me know and I will ask for that info.

Thank you. Let me see if they respond. I am just looking for a release.

Jade13 -- I heard from my family member that they got your email and will be responding or calling you. I hope this helps. I know its a smaller vendor but you can certainly reach back out to me if you dont get resolve.

Yes. Thank you very much. They did call me.

I got mailings regularly for years from Cruises of Distinction and I always admired their glossy pamphlets. They caught my eye also as I have been to Bloomfield Hills, MI where they are (were) located. I just now realized the connection between CVC and Cruises of Distinction.

Funny..... it's been a few years since I received any of those mailings.

This is really sad and horrible for all innocent people involved. I used them once about 2 years ago and they were wonderful, including the agent I worked with. It's so sad these crooks can do this to people and I hope they are screwed financially themselves for life and go to prison.

I was talking to the agent that i delt with, she said that there is about 100 people in shock and out of money too, she is out about 1000.00 dollars

It is a bit risky to work through travel agents - they like to charge you as early as possible and pay the line as late as possible (naturally trying to maximize their use of your funds). If they go under before the line confirms receipt of payment, you can be at risk. While they might be able to find you somewhat better pricing, you can usually do as well yourself by calling around - following up, asking to speak to supervisor, etc. Particularly now, with many small businesses on the brink, it may be a good idea to eliminate as many middlemen as possible and deal direct with the provider (of whatever service) yourself.

That flat out is not true..most reliable agencies call your credit card into the cruise line and never see your money at all!!!

Jancruz1

Several pages back in this thread, I reported that I got caught up in this and (later) that I have paid HAL the final payment on my January Volendam cruise and have protested my credit card charge within the 60-day limit.

Even though CVC treated me improperly, I had marvelous service from my rep at CVC. I searched public phone records for a personal phone number for her and came up empty. On a longshot, I wrote her at her personal CVC e-mail address, asking her to contact me if she joins another travel agency, because I would be interested in giving her some of my future business.

Initially, I received an automated response, stating:

Sadly, Cruise Value Center has closed its doors. Please contact the Cruise line for further assistance. Thank you for your patronage.
However, this evening, I received a direct e-mail response from the rep. She's starting with another agency on December 1. She stated that no one has shut down the e-mail server yet, so former agents can still access e-mails.

So if you're interested in working with your former CVC rep in the future, give it a try, but do it quickly while that server is still active. Be sure to put something appropriate in the subject line to differentiate your message from the hundreds of messages they each are getting and don’t expect a response if you merely want help with your CVC situation.

Several pages back in this thread, I reported that I got caught up in this and (later) that I have paid HAL the final payment on my January Volendam cruise and have protested my credit card charge within the 60-day limit.

Even though CVC treated me improperly, I had marvelous service from my rep at CVC. I searched public phone records for a personal phone number for her and came up empty. On a longshot, I wrote her at her personal CVC e-mail address, asking her to contact me if she joins another travel agency, because I would be interested in giving her some of my future business.

Initially, I received an automated response, stating:However, this evening, I received a direct e-mail response from the rep. She's starting with another agency on December 1. She stated that no one has shut down the e-mail server yet, so former agents can still access e-mails.

So if you're interested in working with your former CVC rep in the future, give it a try, but do it quickly while that server is still active. Be sure to put something appropriate in the subject line to differentiate your message from the hundreds of messages they each are getting and don’t expect a response if you merely want help with your CVC situation.

If you email them directly and they are starting up with a new agency and you have a deposited booking then they will help you with that situation. They are more then willing to help and will do whatever it takes to get your original offer honored and make it a smooth transition. There were a few people that already said they are getting help on their existing booking from their CVC agent.

That flat out is not true..most reliable agencies call your credit card into the cruise line and never see your money at all!!!

Jancruz1

I agree with Jancruz that it is just not true...what happened at this company was just a case of horrific new owners. No agency collects money in house and pays merchant fees as common sense tell you it comes right out of profits??? It is not the way any agency does it. Cutting out the middle man in buying a cruise will only cost the client more money...if it was the other way around then there would be alot more agencies out of business.

I agree with Jancruz that it is just not true...what happened at this company was just a case of horrific new owners. No agency collects money in house and pays merchant fees as common sense tell you it comes right out of profits??? It is not the way any agency does it. Cutting out the middle man in buying a cruise will only cost the client more money...if it was the other way around then there would be alot more agencies out of business.

Right, and thank you again for your help :)

Btw, that was one of the first things that I asked was where is the profit for the agency if they charge credit cards to "Cruise Value Center" and have to pay Visa, Mastercard and Amex 3% - 4%.

And I did learn (as in the past) there was still a way for the agency to pay on-line through the cruiseline/agent system, using the clients credit card but still at the agreed upon price that was lower than the cruise line rate. For some reason I thought this had changed which was why CVC started charging money to themselves. I found out this summer that this happened (after the final payment was made), was so uncomfortable that my next/last cruise was purchased directly from HAL.

Archived