Is this veranda worth $3k?

riggins

Hi guys-

I posted this on the Family board, but I'm thinking you guys might be more opinionated on the topic! We're cruising Alaska next summer with our DDs who will be 6 and 8. We're currently booked in a Family Verandah (FV) stateroom on Celebrity Infinity. Its an aft cabin that is 271 square feet and has a huge balcony that is 242 square feet.

Yesterday, I got an e-mail from HAL about their sale, and we can sail on the Amsterdam in an oceanview cabin and save $3250 over what we're paying on Celebrity. But, we give up the verandah altogether, and the cabin is much smaller. The itineraries are very similar, so this is really boiling down to how much I'm willing to spend for the big room and big balcony.

We can afford the big Celebrity cabin, but if we switch to HAL, we can also do a New Year's Eve cruise I have booked too. I'm really torn. If this were a Caribbean cruise, I'd dump the big verandah in a heartbeat, but I'm thinking that in Alaska, we'll want to have the balcony. But, I'm really not sure. We've only cruised Caribbean/Bahamas and we've always been on DCL and we really only used our cabin to sleep in.

Anyone have opinions? The sale ends tomorrow.

Thanks

Leslie

I have been on two Alaska cruises, and both were in obstructed oceanview cabins on Princess and HAL. The smaller HAL ships like the Amsterdam have excellent outdoor viewing areas. Personally - I'd much rather go on a 2nd cruise with the money saved (or spend it on some great Alaska excursions) than spend it all on a fancy cabin on one cruise.

Ok, another opinion. The one time i was really glad i went for the balcony was the alaska cruise. It gets very crowded on the outside decks and i am very short so i could not see anything the day we did the glacier viewing. And it was freezing. We asked ourselves why we were with the throngs of people when we and our friends had side by side cabins. We wound up viewing from the comfort of our balcony, ran into our cabin to thaw out and ordered hot chocolate from room service. It was money well spent:D

Ok, another opinion. The one time i was really glad i went for the balcony was the alaska cruise. It gets very crowded on the outside decks and i am very short so i could not see anything the day we did the glacier viewing. And it was freezing. We asked ourselves why we were with the throngs of people when we and our friends had side by side cabins. We wound up viewing from the comfort of our balcony, ran into our cabin to thaw out and ordered hot chocolate from room service. It was money well spent:D

I'll bet your balcony wasn't 242 sq. ft.! :cool:

I've been on Infinity and HAL Zaandam. I also have a teenager. Although neither line is as kid-oriented as Disney for example, I would rate HAL's kids programs a notch higher than X (although X may have improved in the past few years). Also, ship amenities are not quite as important in port-intensive Alaska.

There's a lot of open deck space and railings on most HAL ships so we never had a problem getting railing space at Glacier Bay, sailaway, etc. Scenery tends to come up on both sides of the ship and we were glad we didn't feel like we had to stay on a balcony to get our money's worth.

For me, the savings is some serious money and I would take an additional cruise or extend your stay in Alaska and explore the interior. Five years from now you and the rest of your family will remember the sights of Alaska and quality time together...the balcony will fade into obscurity.

Last food for thought...travel is cheaper than it's been since 9/11. Do all the vacationing now and take advantage of the good deals.

I have sailed on Infinity in an FV 3 times. But ONLY in a CORNER FV.

While the other FV balconies may be 242 sq feet, there is a lot of USELESS square feet. The non corner FV balconies are VERY deep, but not much wider than a regular balcony.

Now the corner FV's-a whole other animal. You can see the entire back of the ship as well as the side of the ship. There is a covered portion, as well as the open portion. The open portion of the corner FV's is absolutely spectacular. But the "middle" FV's aren't all that special, IMHO. Extra space-yes. Worth all the extra money just for the balcony-NO.

Now the extra room-maybe. Nice to have that little sitting room. DH spends lots of time watching TV in there. In fact, he rarely leaves the cabin. And it may be a benefit with two TV's. It is nice to slide the door shut from that room and that may be a benefit.

IMHO-Unless you are in cabins 7199, 7202, 8101, 8166, 9156 or 9197, the extra balcony space is NOT worth much. I have been in 9197, 9156 and 8166. I would ALWAYS book an FV CORNER with the extra wrap around balcony if available. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste the money. Whether the extra cabin space is worth it, your decision. But don't count on the balcony space as the final decider if you are NOT in a corner.

(Edited) "...Hi guys-Yesterday, I got an e-mail from HAL about their sale, and we can sail on the Amsterdam in an oceanview cabin and save $3250...."

For a saving of three thousand two hundred fifty dollars and still have an oceanview, I would have already called the cruise line. Cold hard cash wins out over cold hard ice. You will be asleep eight (?) hours a day anyway wherever your cabin and will spend a whole lot less than eight hours a day on a balcony - for $3,250 more. Economics 101.

I have sailed on Infinity in an FV 3 times. But ONLY in a CORNER FV.

While the other FV balconies may be 242 sq feet, there is a lot of USELESS square feet. The non corner FV balconies are VERY deep, but not much wider than a regular balcony.

Now the corner FV's-a whole other animal. You can see the entire back of the ship as well as the side of the ship. There is a covered portion, as well as the open portion. The open portion of the corner FV's is absolutely spectacular. But the "middle" FV's aren't all that special, IMHO. Extra space-yes. Worth all the extra money just for the balcony-NO.

Now the extra room-maybe. Nice to have that little sitting room. DH spends lots of time watching TV in there. In fact, he rarely leaves the cabin. And it may be a benefit with two TV's. It is nice to slide the door shut from that room and that may be a benefit.

IMHO-Unless you are in cabins 7199, 7202, 8101, 8166, 9156 or 9197, the extra balcony space is NOT worth much. I have been in 9197, 9156 and 8166. I would ALWAYS book an FV CORNER with the extra wrap around balcony if available. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste the money. Whether the extra cabin space is worth it, your decision. But don't count on the balcony space as the final decider if you are NOT in a corner.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I still haven't decided what to do, but I'd better hurry.

greatam - Yes, its a corner FV - 7199. I saw it was available last summer and snagged it. I drool over the pictures every time I check it out.

We were in corner cabin 9156 in September and loved it. It was like having your own deck. You have a 270 degree view as you can look around the corner. The two separate rooms are nice also. Plenty of storage and two tvs. We joked that it spoiled us for future cruises. Would highly recommend it.

Thanks for all the opinions. I went ahead and booked the HAL deal today since the sale was ending, but I haven't cancelled my FV on Infinity. I figure that will buy me a few months to think about it. I'm drooling over that FV cabin and it just sounds fabulous . . . but $3,000 is a lot of money!! So, I guess I'll just keep agonizing over my decision. I'd love to hear any other thoughts any one else may have.

Thanks again

Leslie

I know that this is late in arriving, but here's another aspect you may consider in justifying your decision: DH and I were on the Island Princess 2 years ago, had a balcony, but through the great information on this board, was told how to access a particular viewing platform that most folks are not made aware of. It was on the same level as our cabin and not 10 feet from our door. This is where we ran to each time we came into any spectacular areas. There were maybe 4 other people at most at any time we utilized it. I can't speak to what's on other ships, but it may be worth investigating such areas on the one you've booked. That being said, because it was so convenient to our room, and inside room would have been much less than the balcony we booked, and I feel sure we would have been satisified. Liz

Some more facts you may want to consider.

First of all, I'm a HAL fan, so I would tend to be in their favor most of the time. I've sailed to Alaska with them twice. Once on a 7 day cruise, then last year on an 11 day cruisetour. Both were fantastic.

That being said, I've sailed X only once to New England/Canada. I tried to get one of those FV cabins, but because there was only 3 of us, they wouldn't let me book it. I ended up in 6143 (not quite as large a cabin or balcony but really sweet none-the-less). With 4 of you, I'd consider the size of the cabin over the balcony. While HAL's cabins are generally larger than most other cruiselines, I don't think you can get the same sized cabin on a HAL ship without going to a full suite.

Another factor to possibly consider is the Infinity (infamous M-class pod propulsion problem). While I haven't read too much on the boards about it recently, a couple of years ago, Infinity & Summit were having to cancel/shorten ports and even cancel cruises altogether because of it. You might want to do a Google search for M-Class pod propulsion problems and take a look at what comes up, just to be fully prepared.

And lastly, as others have stated, the cost of Alaskan excursions is very high. That $3200 would help in planning some of the more costly excursions with 4 of you. And remember, Alaska is what you are taking the cruise to see. The Caribbean cruises you may tend to spend more time on the ship and consequently more time in your cabin, but for Alaska, not so much.

It's a tough decision, but if you do your homework, you will be thrilled with Alaska! It's a beatiful awesome last frontier to explore. Have a great trip whatever you decide!

• 5 months later...

Sailed in 9156 to Alaska and I think that cabin has ruined me forever! When we got to our cabin the first day, I was amazed at how great it was and blown away by the balcony! I ordered a bottle of wine, set up my tripod and camera and didn't move for 7 days (well except during port time). If you get a chance for a corner FV - grab it - don't think twice.

There may also be "differences" in the itinerary?? Although may not seem significant, may offer something??

I am never going to pay past the bottom price. :) It depends what people wish for their trip?? Since you are "asking", it may be you are questioning the significant difference in cost?? Having both booked, will allow you more time to consider this decision.

The OP posted this on here back in November:eek:..we are now in May.

6 months later.....wonder what she and her family decided to do.

Personally - I'd much rather go on a 2nd cruise with the money saved (or spend it on some great Alaska excursions) than spend it all on a fancy cabin on one cruise.

I totally agree.

I'd save the money and use it for another cruise. I sail in a week for my 14th cruise to Alaska, none with a balcony and most in an inside cabin. You can always find open deck space and I find it best to move around anyway for a different view.

On my Antarctica cruise earlier this year I had decided to splurge on at least an oustide cabin. When final payment came up my TA found a deal on an inside cabin, literally directly across the hall from my outside cabin, and I saved $1500. To me it was a no brainer decision.

Why are several of you replying to a post that was originally posted back in November of last year?

Because I never look at the date posted, I assumed that since it was on page one it was a current question. My mistake.

Archived