Carnival vs RCI

Agocruisin

Hello,

we have cruised Carnival 4 times (on our way to #5 next week on Victory E Carib) and are planning another cruise in the spring but having a hard time with CCL dates available.

We are considering RCI's Voyager class ships...anyone can tell us how the ships/experiences compare? We are not the party people but love Carnival's food & ships.

Thanks!

If you ask this question on the Carnival board most are going to tell you that Carnival is better and the same thing goes for the RCI boards. The best thing to do is read some reviews on this site and other cruise related sites to get more of an unbiased opinion. I will be trying my first Voyager class ship four weeks from tomorrow on the Navigator OTS to the eastern Caribbean. I have cruised twice with RCI and have found them to be about the same as Carnival. Each one has their strong and weak points.

Having been on Voyager and Carnival Pride, I think that both ships are very much alike. Both are lots of fun with lots of activities. I think Carnival might be a bit cheaper but I would choose based on itinerary. In my opinion, you can't go wrong either way.

Elise

The food is the biggest difference. Carnival wins, hands down in that category... Voyager class ships are very nice. I liked the Explorer, except I did feel as if I was living in a mall for a week. Personally, with RCI, I prefer the Radiance class...

I will be trying my first Voyager class ship four weeks from tomorrow on the Navigator OTS to the eastern Caribbean.
Gordon,

I look forward to your comparison, as I'm considering venturing into OTS land the year after next.

I have sailed every class of Carnival ship and once on the voyager class of RC. (Voyager of the Seas) They are both wonderful and so similar you can't go wrong either way. RC people will try to tell you RC is a step up....but I didn't find that to be true. Each has it's good and not so good points.

Food.....a little better on Carnival

Decor...depending on your personal taste....RC is a lot more subdued and elegant.

Service.....EXACTLY THE SAME

Rooms......bigger on Carnival

Nightlife.....MUCH better on Carnival...but since you aren't party people, that wouldn't be a huge factor for you.

Coffee.....bad on Carnival.... HORRIBLE on RC.

You'll enjoy either one.

We've sailed on both and find them to be comparable, with a slight edge to RCI.

decor - definitely RCI

rooms - Carnival a little bigger, not quite as nice as RCI

food - RCI better on buffet, Carnival slightly better in dining room

entertainment - Carnival is slightly better, but RCI's headliner is a big plus

itineraries - we prefer Carnival for more sea days -RCI too port intensive for us

service - definitely better on RCI

atmosphere - RCI is more elegant and sophisticated, Carnival is more fun

This is one person's opinion.

I enjoy both lines for different reasons, but the main thing that I've noticed is that RCCL is a bit more subdued than Carnival. You'll see people get into this "class warfare" about RCCL passengers being a "higher class" of passengers but I don't really see that myself. I think that it is more defined as to what you like to do for a good time. RCCL is just a little bit more laid back and if that's what you define as fun then you'll be happy. You certainly won't be bored on either and I've never been on a cruise I didn't thoroughly enjoy on either.

I enjoy both lines for different reasons, but the main thing that I've noticed is that RCCL is a bit more subdued than Carnival. You'll see people get into this "class warfare" about RCCL passengers being a "higher class" of passengers but I don't really see that myself. I think that it is more defined as to what you like to do for a good time. RCCL is just a little bit more laid back and if that's what you define as fun then you'll be happy. You certainly won't be bored on either and I've never been on a cruise I didn't thoroughly enjoy on either.

THis is more true on the cruise critic boards than it is on the ships.

Having sailed all the different class ships the two lines have to offer (except the Radiance class), the lines ae more alike then they are different. Food is subjective, but I consider them equal... good and not much better. Service is more hit or miss on Carnival than RCI, but they are close. THe ships are definitely better on RCI, especially the Voyager class. I have said this on a different post recently, while I no longer want to sail with this size ship, there is nothing like a Voyager class expereince as far as ocean travel goes. As for the fun, it depend on the crowd on the given week. I have been down right bored on my last 2 Carnival cruises and have had a blast on Crystal and Princess (supposedly with all the old folk). Entertainment is more diverson on RCI and I get the feeling that after one Carnival cruise, the entertainment is pretty much the same on any other. Unfortunate, but Carnival is catering to a new cruiser. For me, unless it is a Spirit-class ship for Carnival, I would go with RCI. If you have already done 4 Carnival cruises, I do not understand why you would not want to try something new?

quote:

I get the feeling that after one Carnival cruise, the entertainment is pretty much the same on any other.

I have to agree with you here 100%. That is one reason that I am stepping away from Carnival after so many cruises with them. There is no longer the element of surprise. It is the same thing over and over. I was bored on the last seven day cruise with Carnival.

On the explorer, I felt like I was on a giant floating hotel. Views of the sea were limited.

Foodwise, CCL isn't just a alittle better, it's a lot better. Outside of the dining room, CCL is vastly better.

RCL- frozen pizza

CCL- fresh pizza

RCL- premade cocktail size sandwiches, a little turkey, mayo, on white bread

CCL- made to order deli sandwiches that would cost you $8 at a deli in the 'states

There are many other differences, but these are just examples.

QUOTE:

...and I get the feeling that after one Carnival cruise, the entertainment is pretty much the same on any other...

Although this statement is a little vague and quite general, it is essentially TRUE. Carnival caters to the "newbie". As one CD, Greg Kneale, told me on the PRIDE in May, "47% of Carnival cruisers are first-time cruisers, this is all new material to them".(besides what are the chances of getting Greg on 3 consecutive cruises on 3 different ships ? :confused: )

I could hardly disagree with him and I'm certainly not in a position to challenge the business plan of Carnival, the most successful cruiseline in the World.

However, after many Carnival cruises one longs for something other than the "bedtime story", "the retired baptist minister that made whoopee on the Lido deck at 3:00am (Not so Newlywed Game), the constant jokes about the vacuum flush toilets, food consumption, the insidious promotion of cruise ship tours and "approved" shore stores.

I don't begrudge Carnival for these elements of the cruise, but it does get a little old after some time. I just tend to stay away from the welcome aboard show and the tours talks and act surprised and amused when someone at the dining table relates how a retired minister had sex with his wife on the Lido deck early in the morning ! :D

I look around for opportunities to cheat on my beloved Carnival also, but as yet just keep coming back and coming back. :)

On the explorer, I felt like I was on a giant floating hotel. Views of the sea were limited.

Foodwise, CCL isn't just a alittle better, it's a lot better. Outside of the dining room, CCL is vastly better.

RCL- frozen pizza

CCL- fresh pizza

RCL- premade cocktail size sandwiches, a little turkey, mayo, on white bread

CCL- made to order deli sandwiches that would cost you $8 at a deli in the 'states

There are many other differences, but these are just examples.

I don't go on a cruise to eat pizza and sandwiches... that being said Princess' pizza blows both of them out of the water. Food is subjective though and would say that certain areas on Carnival were better for me and certain areas on RCI are better. What I like you might not like. Like I said earlier... both are GOOD (and no better), which is fine for their position in the cruise industry.

QUOTE:

...and I get the feeling that after one Carnival cruise, the entertainment is pretty much the same on any other...

Although this statement is a little vague and quite general, it is essentially TRUE. Carnival caters to the "newbie". As one CD, Greg Kneale, told me on the PRIDE in May, "47% of Carnival cruisers are first-time cruisers, this is all new material to them".(besides what are the chances of getting Greg on 3 consecutive cruises on 3 different ships ? :confused: )

I could hardly disagree with him and I'm certainly not in a position to challenge the business plan of Carnival, the most successful cruiseline in the World.

However, after many Carnival cruises one longs for something other than the "bedtime story", "the retired baptist minister that made whoopee on the Lido deck at 3:00am (Not so Newlywed Game), the constant jokes about the vacuum flush toilets, food consumption, the insidious promotion of cruise ship tours and "approved" shore stores.

I don't begrudge Carnival for these elements of the cruise, but it does get a little old after some time. I just tend to stay away from the welcome aboard show and the tours talks and act surprised and amused when someone at the dining table relates how a retired minister had sex with his wife on the Lido deck early in the morning ! :D

I look around for opportunities to cheat on my beloved Carnival also, but as yet just keep coming back and coming back. :)

I agree with what you say... also, people eventually can no longer take only Caribbean cruises as well and need diversivy their destinations. That is why they have HAL, Princess, Costa, Etc. I do not think it is an accident that Carnival does not offer many destinations outside of the typical Caribbean, Canada, and Mexican cruises. Carnival is there to lure you in and they have their other products there to keep you addicted. If I only had Carnival for an option I would have switched to land vacations after 3 or 4. That is not a bash on Carnival, but rather my need for different things.

I agree with what you say... also, people eventually can no longer take only Caribbean cruises as well and need diversivy their destinations. That is why they have HAL, Princess, Costa, Etc. I do not think it is an accident that Carnival does not offer many destinations outside of the typical Caribbean, Canada, and Mexican cruises. Carnival is there to lure you in and they have their other products there to keep you addicted. If I only had Carnival for an option I would have switched to land vacations after 3 or 4. That is not a bash on Carnival, but rather my need for different things.
(my emphasis)

Excellent simplified assessment of their overall strategy, kkorman.:) I would agree completely.

THis is more true on the cruise critic boards than it is on the ships.

With that I agree. I didn't mean to imply that once on the ship you were looked down upon for sailing on one line or the other.

Cruising can tend to be a truly a subjective experience based on one's personal perception and expectations. I don't really depend on any cruise line's shows or activities to keep me entertained. That's not to say I don't enjoy some of the shows or activities. I just get more entertainment value by visiting different areas of the ship and just doing my own thing or hanging out with different people. I suppose that is why I haven't found any cruise boring. There's always different people on each cruise. If I cared more about the shows and activities I would probably feel differently.

I would certainly agree with your statement about the passengers defining how much fun a particular cruise really is. However, from my experience with the two lines, I still say RCCL is a bit more subdued. Perhaps it is because Carnival is catering to the new cruiser. I would think that the excitement of cruising for the first time might make someone a bit giddier therefore a little more "fun". Then again, it may simply be coincidence.

In the near future, I am looking forward to what other cruise lines have to offer. Not because I'm bored with one particular cruise line, but simply to add to my overall cruising experiences.

With that I agree. I didn't mean to imply that once on the ship you were looked down upon for sailing on one line or the other.

Cruising can tend to be a truly a subjective experience based on one's personal perception and expectations. I don't really depend on any cruise line's shows or activities to keep me entertained. That's not to say I don't enjoy some of the shows or activities. I just get more entertainment value by visiting different areas of the ship and just doing my own thing or hanging out with different people. I suppose that is why I haven't found any cruise boring. There's always different people on each cruise. If I cared more about the shows and activities I would probably feel differently.

I would certainly agree with your statement about the passengers defining how much fun a particular cruise really is. However, from my experience with the two lines, I still say RCCL is a bit more subdued. Perhaps it is because Carnival is catering to the new cruiser. I would think that the excitement of cruising for the first time might make someone a bit giddier therefore a little more "fun". Then again, it may simply be coincidence.

In the near future, I am looking forward to what other cruise lines have to offer. Not because I'm bored with one particular cruise line, but simply to add to my overall cruising experiences.

I agree with your statements... especially the part of making your own fun. You usually will not find me at any type of organized entertainment. You can only handle so much of that in a lifetime. FOr me, I find a good bar and try to meet interesting people... Whether that be the bartender or the person sitting next to me. It has worked really well for me as I have made some really good friends on cruise ships. A lot of people, especially those that have not cruised that much need their hands held to have a good time (I do not mean that negatively). I think there are just more things for RCI to hold your hand through than Carnival. All this being said, I just have not found that "interesting" crowd on Carnival... and for that matter RCI either. Whether that be the particular cruise, or the cruise line I have not figured that out.

As for the "looking down" I have rarely seen this once on board a cruise ship. I will say I saw this with afew people on my Crystal cruise last week. Ironically it was the people who were on their first Crystal cruise and were saying how much HAL or RCI or Celebrity were better than Crystal and how many time I did this. It was a huge turn off. THe actual Crystal loyalist were very friendly and down to earth, which I did not expect. I rarely go on the RCI board and the HAL on cruise critic because of this "I am better than you" mentality. Many people base their cruising decisions on these people and what people do not realize is that Cruise Critic people usually make up less that 1% of any given cruise.

We have never sailed RCl but soon we will!!But we love everything about Carnival!!Our kids love it and so do we!!but i have to agree with Agocruisin how can you get bored on a cruise??

Don't misunderstand me... I was bored with the provided entertainment and the crowd, not with my group. We make fun in any situation, it is just sometimes we had to try.

I would sail any line but DH and I prefer Carnival....no, one doesn't sail just for the food...however, we sailed on AOS in February and right away noticed the food was not as good....we just got off the Miracle a week ago and the food was the best!!! Oh....there was a lot more to do as well...games, etc...

Hello,

we have cruised Carnival 4 times (on our way to #5 next week on Victory E Carib) and are planning another cruise in the spring but having a hard time with CCL dates available.

We are considering RCI's Voyager class ships...anyone can tell us how the ships/experiences compare? We are not the party people but love Carnival's food & ships Thanks!

We have numerous Carnival cruises under our belt and just got back from RCI Mariner. We were disappointed. The ship was beautiful but was not as much a party as Carnival. Poor scheduling of onboard events too.

Archived