Fuel Surcharge Credit/Refund

johnnycruise

Anyone cruising on Seabourn mid-December or later may have a special Christmas present - it looks like a credit for the fuel surcharge may be forthcoming. Carnival Corp. has created a Web page making it easy to follow the daily closing price of crude oil.

http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/AboutUs/FuelSupplementUpdate.aspx

johnny

(who is keeping his fingers and to'ers crossed)

Anyone cruising on Seabourn mid-December or later may have a special Christmas present - it looks like a credit for the fuel surcharge may be forthcoming. Carnival Corp. has created a Web page making it easy to follow the daily closing price of crude oil.

johnny

Great news Johnny! Thanks for the link! :)

Host Dan

Johnny,

Very interesting in that when my final payment was due (Early August) for my just completed Legend Trans-Atlantic crossing, Seabourn credited the fuel surcharge and reduced the final payment amount. My TA informed me of this when I called her and asked why the final payment was lees that previoulsy advised.

Cruise lines should do this as the price of crude oil has come down quite a bit.

PCH,

I agree - I wish Carnival Corp. would go a (customer service) step above the others rather than hold onto the early December cruisers' fuel charges due to a one-day spike on the 4th of November - it hasn't been within $4 of its self-imposed threshold since. Happy that you were fortunate enough to see a credit for your well-documented crossing:)

I was hoping that a couple of other frequent CC contributors would enjoy a refund for their departures next weekend. I'm curious as to why the Seabourn fuel supplement was higher per person than Carnival's other lines anyway.:confused:

Oh well, it's just a minor annoyance - I'm certainly looking forward to Christmas in the tropics!:p

johnny

johnny

My TA spoke to Seabourn yesterday to query why there was a substantial fuel surcharge on our fare for next year. She noted the falling price of crude and the fact that the charge has already been dropped by some cruise lines. Seabourn told her that the cruise line intends to keep the charge in place until 2010.

Not to be picky, but I have realized that if you buy travel insurance through Seabourn (at a 8.5% rate) they apply the percentage to the fuel surcharge as well. I doubt they refund the extra cost of insurance when they refund the fuel surcharge once aboard. Just a thought.

My TA spoke to Seabourn yesterday to query why there was a substantial fuel surcharge on our fare for next year. She noted the falling price of crude and the fact that the charge has already been dropped by some cruise lines. Seabourn told her that the cruise line intends to keep the charge in place until 2010.

My TA got a fax from Seabourn today that fuel surcharges have been removed for cruises effective December 17.

On a related note, sometimes I feel that this is all a dream. Now some are predicting that because of further drops in oil prices that gasoline prices could go below $1.00 per gallon. Of course, these are the same people who just a few months ago were predicting oil to hit $200.00 per barrel and gas prices going above the $5.00 level. I know there is the saying that what goes up must come down, but I have never seen anything like this.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
On a related note, sometimes I feel that this is all a dream. Now some are predicting that because of further drops in oil prices that gasoline prices could go below $1.00 per gallon. Of course, these are the same people who just a few months ago were predicting oil to hit $200.00 per barrel and gas prices going above the $5.00 level. I know there is the saying that what goes up must come down, but I have never seen anything like this.

Keith

Keith - I quit believing ANYTHING these people had to say a long time ago!

-- Jeff

Archived