Do You Ever Feel Self-Conscious on a Cruise?

On our cruise in January there was this woman on the lido in her bikini that also had her hair braided like bo-derek in 10 with the beads N all and she must of been close to 80 but boy she had such a wonderful attitude about herself that I couldn't do anything but think I hope by the time I'm her age I am able to feel that way about myself!!

My father will be on his first cruise with us in March and he has a fake leg from the knee down and he says he will not be wearing shorts because of it - all I can do is just tell him that no one will care and hope he changes his mind once he's on the ship.

Just go and have a great time - these cruises are such wonderful experiences!

Sooo because some are too young to remember........that's the problem with the world today:confused:

No the problem is that today somehow everyone has developed such a thin skin and they get so huffy and offended by every little thing.

There was a time a joke was a joke , you laughed and went on. Maybe you didn't laugh because it wasn't funny, but you didn't have a cow over it.

Now it's a harrassment suit and a big deal.

And while everyone is fuming over weather an off the cuff remark is racist, sexist, whatever . And should the offender be fired, arrested, taken off the air, or sent to Siberia. The powers that be are screwing us sideways on the big important matters.

Your response just proves my point, you really need to lighten up...:rolleyes:

The posters response was that they didn't get the joke and nothing more IMO.......

No the problem is that today somehow everyone has developed such a thin skin and they get so huffy and offended by every little thing.

There was a time a joke was a joke , you laughed and went on. Maybe you didn't laugh because it wasn't funny, but you didn't have a cow over it.

Now it's a harrassment suit and a big deal.

And while everyone is fuming over weather an off the cuff remark is racist, sexist, whatever . And should the offender be fired, arrested, taken off the air, or sent to Siberia. The powers that be are screwing us sideways on the big important matters.

All this because someone is too young to know a comedian:confused:

Wow! Someone needs to lighten up........and it certainly is not rvrgirl IMO....

I'm a "big" girl, and I do feel self conscious at times. However, I've planned and paid for my cruise just like everyone else on the ship. I deserve to be there just as they do. Sure i'd love to be a size 5, and maybe I will at some point, but it won't be on this cruise (as i'm leaving in 2 days! :p).

I dress tastefully for my size and am kind and gracious to everyone. I'm there to have a good time and, big or not, will do just that. If I let my self-image dictate my enjoyment of the cruise, both DH and I will be miserable...and will miss out on many good memories. Hopefully we'll wind up with table mates who feel the same way.

To the OP, stand tall and proud, whatever size you may be. Body size does not determine your worth as a person.

And my dear, I'd much rather cruise with you than some of these judgemental people. Remember at the end of the day it's not what you look like, it's whats inside your soul that makes you beautiful. Gracious and kind win me over everytime.

Go, have fun, be yourself, you'll have a ball.

Cheers, Carole

I used to be fairly self-conscious when I cruised. I've only heard one snicker about my appearance - about midway through my second one, I was laying out with a friend, about two seconds away from falling asleep on the Lido when I heard a couple guys giggling and whispering behind me. When I paid attention, they were more amused by the purple streaks in my hair than my choice of swimwear. And I'm not a paper-thin kinda girl, either.

What always sticks with me when I think about it is the words of an old editor of mine - "No matter how you look, or what you weigh, there will always be someone who looks worse." I don't worry nearly as much any more, and I dress how I'd like (though its usually pretty reasonable for my shape).

Don't worry about what people think and just focus on having a good time. You can't do both at the same time :) You're a lovely girl (and an Indiana native!), you'll be fine. Hope you have a fun time (and that you come back with something sparkly on your finger!).

I used to be fairly self-conscious when I cruised. I've only heard one snicker about my appearance - about midway through my second one, I was laying out with a friend, about two seconds away from falling asleep on the Lido when I heard a couple guys giggling and whispering behind me. When I paid attention, they were more amused by the purple streaks in my hair than my choice of swimwear. And I'm not a paper-thin kinda girl, either.

What always sticks with me when I think about it is the words of an old editor of mine - "No matter how you look, or what you weigh, there will always be someone who looks worse." I don't worry nearly as much any more, and I dress how I'd like (though its usually pretty reasonable for my shape).

Don't worry about what people think and just focus on having a good time. You can't do both at the same time :) You're a lovely girl (and an Indiana native!), you'll be fine. Hope you have a fun time (and that you come back with something sparkly on your finger!).

Purple streaks?? :eek: You rebel you! ;) I love meeting people like you, your individuality and self-esteem make you a very beautiful person...:D

Hey Jordan! I admit to being a little self conscious sometimes myself... I played soccer in college, and now my body isn't quite as good as it once was... (Toby Keith) "I ain't as good as I once was..." BUT, when I see you college hotties walking around on Lido, it gives me inspiration and motivation to work out more! (and eat less sweets.) (PS. are inspiratioin and motivation the names of carnival ships? LOL)

I sure am an Indiana native! Carmel girl.

Thank you for the reassurance, and "no matter how you look, or what you weight, there will always be someone looking worse" is so comforting and true!

Hey Jordan! I admit to being a little self conscious sometimes myself... I played soccer in college, and now my body isn't quite as good as it once was... (Toby Keith) "I ain't as good as I once was..." BUT, when I see you college hotties walking around on Lido, it gives me inspiration and motivation to work out more! (and eat less sweets.) (PS. are inspiratioin and motivation the names of carnival ships? LOL)

Goodness gracious Drew, you make me blush.

I bet your Triumph dancer was a hottie.

Just curious, I want to lay out by the pool and swim and such on the Lido deck...

But I'm just very self-conscious.

I'm not extremely overweight by any means,

I have put on a few extra pounds that have been difficult to diet and exercise off.

I want to have fun, but I'm not very comfortable in a swimsuit right now.

Has anyone else ever felt a little self conscious before their cruise?

Maybe if you posted a picture of yourself in a bikini, we would be more well informed to comment.

Just curious, I want to lay out by the pool and swim and such on the Lido deck...

But I'm just very self-conscious.

I'm not extremely overweight by any means,

I have put on a few extra pounds that have been difficult to diet and exercise off.

I want to have fun, but I'm not very comfortable in a swimsuit right now.

Has anyone else ever felt a little self conscious before their cruise?

It really doesn't matter does it? If you are with your SO, why worry. If you are looking to meet someone single of the opposite sex, then again why worry as there will not be any around anyway.:D Except for the crew of course.

I decided to read the majority of the posts to the OP's question. At first I wanted to show a picture of a pretty young woman who was about 5'9" and 165 lbs and looked like she belonged in the bikini. But, after reading all the posts, and comments from the OP, it appears the OP was digging for complements. The picture associated with the OP is very nice, and pretty. Does anyone else see a problem with this post and the OP?

I decided to read the majority of the posts to the OP's question. At first I wanted to show a picture of a pretty young woman who was about 5'9" and 165 lbs and looked like she belonged in the bikini. But, after reading all the posts, and comments from the OP, it appears the OP was digging for complements. The picture associated with the OP is very nice, and pretty. Does anyone else see a problem with this post and the OP?

While I appreciate your opinion and viewpoint, you do not understand the way I view and feel about myself, and I do not have a "problem".

This thread was asking if anybody else had ever felt self-conscious in a swim suit on a cruise. Sure enough, I am not alone. People of all shapes and sizes have felt the same way I do. I appreciate them being honest and helping me try to overcome my self-consciousness. This thread has had some very inspirational and incredible people tell stories and first-hand account tales of people who have overcome self-consciousness and have broken out of their comfort zones while on vacation. I have read amazing stories about people who were elderly or physically handicapped that didn't care and had the times of their lives, I have learned from that and felt that this was so great. This thread has helped me realize many things and has helped me learn that I am not alone.

You say I seem "nice and pretty." So I'm going to say thank you. I am a nice person, and I have a good heart, and I'm going to continue to thank the people who have shared their personal anecdotes and have helped inspire me to break out and have fun, despite my psycholgical barrier.

My problem is that I lost 22 pounds this year, and I worked so hard at it, and I have worked hard to maintain it, but some weight has come back on and I am uncomfortable. I diet and exercise but it's difficult to keep the weight off. This takes a definite emotional toll on me.

I appreciate your opinion and accusation that I was "digging for compliments." However, I was not, and that was not the point of the thread. I'm sorry that I said thank you to those who DID compliment me. It's just manners. I'm sorry that you feel that was the case, when that was not it at all. But once again, thank you for your opinion.

Please do me a favor though. Once you become me, and see how I view myself, I give you permission to accuse me of whatever you want. But you, and nobody else knows my self-perception but ME. Until then, please don't accuse me of something that I wasn't guilty of.

Happy holidays, Naomi John. Be safe :)

Believe me, no matter how thin you are, there will be someone thinner and no matter how round you are, there will be someone rounder. When I was young, I was thin, athletic and wore a bikini. 30 years and two kids later, I'm no longer thin and haven't worn a bikini in 23 years. I'm 48 and happy. That's life.

My DH loves me and I have a wonderful family and that's all that matters. Most people are too preoccupied with themselves to even notice anyone else.

Archived