Do You Ever Feel Self-Conscious on a Cruise?

Believe me, no matter how thin you are, there will be someone thinner and no matter how round you are, there will be someone rounder. When I was young, I was thin, athletic and wore a bikini. 30 years and two kids later, I'm no longer thin and haven't worn a bikini in 23 years. I'm 48 and happy. That's life.

My DH loves me and I have a wonderful family and that's all that matters. Most people are too preoccupied with themselves to even notice anyone else.

You're exactly right

Believe me, no matter how thin you are, there will be someone thinner and no matter how round you are, there will be someone rounder. When I was young, I was thin, athletic and wore a bikini. 30 years and two kids later, I'm no longer thin and haven't worn a bikini in 23 years. I'm 48 and happy. That's life.

My DH loves me and I have a wonderful family and that's all that matters. Most people are too preoccupied with themselves to even notice anyone else.

Agree completely. :D

Striving to be the "thinnest" person in the world is like striving to be the fastest gun in town.

You're only fastest until someone faster comes along. This realization often has disastrous consequences.:rolleyes:

Don't worry . . . be happy. :)

If it doesn't bother you then it is fine. But if it does, then you can do something about it. Don't settle. But it can't be dieting.......it has to be a lifestyle change.......

Kurbanfan makes an excellent point. Dieting without a lifestyle change NEVER works. Its effects are only TEMPORARY at best.

One always hears EXERCISE, but exercising without raising the heart rate to at least 60-65% of its MAXIMUM RATE for at least 20 minutes at least 3-5 times per week is the ticket.

True, exercising by walking around does burn calories, but raising the heartrate as above BUILDS a LARGER furnace over time so you'll burn 3-4 times as many calories as you normally do (even when you're sleeping). :)

Maximum heartrate: 220 minus your age.

Kurbanfan makes an excellent point. Dieting without a lifestyle change NEVER works. Its effects are only TEMPORARY at best.

One always hears EXERCISE, but exercising without raising the heart rate to at least 60-65% of its MAXIMUM RATE for at least 20 minutes at least 3-5 times per week is the ticket.

True, exercising by walking around does burn calories, but raising the heartrate as above BUILDS a LARGER furnace over time so you'll burn 3-4 times as many calories as you normally do (even when you're sleeping). :)

Maximum heartrate: 220 minus your age.

LOL! I have friends in construction who whine because they can't loose weight........they say they get plenty of exercise at work:rolleyes:

LOL! I have friends in construction who whine because they can't loose weight........they say they get plenty of exercise at work:rolleyes:

My uncle has been in construction all his life. He will never be slim,but he is solid as a rock, not an ounce of flab on him and he is pretty close to 70 if not already.

Purple streaks?? :eek: You rebel you! ;) I love meeting people like you, your individuality and self-esteem make you a very beautiful person...:D

Haha, thank you :D Now that I'm in the "real world" I have to be a little more discreet - I did manage some pink in October for breast cancer awareness though.

I sure am an Indiana native! Carmel girl.

Thank you for the reassurance, and "no matter how you look, or what you weight, there will always be someone looking worse" is so comforting and true!

Ahh, Carmel...nice place to visit. I honestly think that's some of the best advice my old editor gave me :) He was helpful, but that has stuck with me. I'm glad that you have taken something from it as well.

Hey, that's a good question but the answer will be even better.

From the pics in your thread, I don't think you should feel self-conscious at all...think about the beach.

I am 5'10 and sadly, due to some medications again a lot of weight and I am at 165 (although I exercise)... Regardless, I am going to a cruise, I have a couple of curves and I am going to enjoy it! I don't think anyone will be passing judgement on it and I will never see them again. Plus, my husband loves me just the way I am and that is all that matters for the moment.

My trick, since I have never liked showing my Latin booty too much (I'm very clumsy), I put some very short-shorts (or go to Walmart and get the little skirts made from bathing suit material) to cover the bikini area and then I buy the top of the bathing suits that is shaped as a triangle but leaves your back very exposed (I have a good back because I used to be a dancer, so I try to show it off!). The trick for me is that the triangle shaped top will cover any unexpected love handle while the shorts gives me the comfort to be goofy! The other thing you could try on is the "sarong" which you can wrap around like a dress and when you are laying by the pool just put it in top of the area that makes you feel a little bit self-conscious. (if it is your belly, then it is perfect cuz the belly hides under the clothing anyways!!)

In top of it all, sweetie, I think the main point here is for you to learn to be comfortable with your body. Be grateful for all the beautiful things your body has and point out that you will be comfortable in your skin! Trust me, I have gone through my share amount of illnesses and treatments that mess up with your weight (yup, even tho im only 20) and I have learn to be grateful that I have two legs and two arms to be completely independent and enjoy life!

Hey, that's a good question but the answer will be even better.

From the pics in your thread, I don't think you should feel self-conscious at all...think about the beach.

I am 5'10 and sadly, due to some medications again a lot of weight and I am at 165 (although I exercise)... Regardless, I am going to a cruise, I have a couple of curves and I am going to enjoy it! I don't think anyone will be passing judgement on it and I will never see them again. Plus, my husband loves me just the way I am and that is all that matters for the moment.

My trick, since I have never liked showing my Latin booty too much (I'm very clumsy), I put some very short-shorts (or go to Walmart and get the little skirts made from bathing suit material) to cover the bikini area and then I buy the top of the bathing suits that is shaped as a triangle but leaves your back very exposed (I have a good back because I used to be a dancer, so I try to show it off!). The trick for me is that the triangle shaped top will cover any unexpected love handle while the shorts gives me the comfort to be goofy! The other thing you could try on is the "sarong" which you can wrap around like a dress and when you are laying by the pool just put it in top of the area that makes you feel a little bit self-conscious. (if it is your belly, then it is perfect cuz the belly hides under the clothing anyways!!)

In top of it all, sweetie, I think the main point here is for you to learn to be comfortable with your body. Be grateful for all the beautiful things your body has and point out that you will be comfortable in your skin! Trust me, I have gone through my share amount of illnesses and treatments that mess up with your weight (yup, even tho im only 20) and I have learn to be grateful that I have two legs and two arms to be completely independent and enjoy life!

I'm glad someone my same age feels the same! You are just so sweet. And I think I'm going to try the sarong thing also. I have always worn the triangle tops also because it gives the girls more support! ;) And I'm right with you on the illnesses and treatments.

I'm definitely learning through alll of this. I'm sure you are a beautiful, beautiful girl! Thank you for posting honey!

Reading all your posts, I have to kind of giggle to myself (yeah, sometimes I do giggle)...I can't believe everyone is so concerned about their weight. Most of the people that are worried about how they look with what they weigh seem to be in my book on the average to attractive range - definitely not obese.

You will find as you get older, your going to have some natural spread. I know I don't look nothing like the muscular jock I did when I came out of the military 36 years ago...but it don't bother me at all. I am a rather large person, still look on the more muscular side...but it isn't what I was when I was discharged - I have gained about 50 lbs. I don't let it bother me, I just try to "manage" my weight so that I stay healthy. As I stated in an earlier post, the height/weight charts or BMI charts are not "fair" to people like me.

Also as I stated earlier, there are a lot of other things that could be looked upon as "unattractive" when your in a swim suit other than just weight. If you are relatively healthy, so what if your a little heavy in your eyes. I promise you that I will not come up to you on this cruise and tell you to put your clothes back on!! I wish that weight was my only problem...because I would in no way let myself worry about what other people are thinking about how heavy I am. When it comes to weight, others are more concerned about what they look like than what others are looking like - unless you are 5'5" tall and weigh 400 lbs trying to wear a bikini or speedo...then I still won't come up to you and tell you to put your clothes on, but I will be embarrassed for you...and you probably are going to kind of stick out. If this is you, I invite you to wear your speedo or bikini in fact...if your really want to and it don't bother you - because then I KNOW nobody is going to be checking out what is wrong with me.

Reading all your posts, I have to kind of giggle to myself (yeah, sometimes I do giggle)...I can't believe everyone is so concerned about their weight. Most of the people that are worried about how they look with what they weigh seem to be in my book on the average to attractive range - definitely not obese.

You will find as you get older, your going to have some natural spread. I know I don't look nothing like the muscular jock I did when I came out of the military 36 years ago...but it don't bother me at all. I am a rather large person, still look on the more muscular side...but it isn't what I was when I was discharged - I have gained about 50 lbs. I don't let it bother me, I just try to "manage" my weight so that I stay healthy. As I stated in an earlier post, the height/weight charts or BMI charts are not "fair" to people like me.

Also as I stated earlier, there are a lot of other things that could be looked upon as "unattractive" when your in a swim suit other than just weight. If you are relatively healthy, so what if your a little heavy in your eyes. I promise you that I will not come up to you on this cruise and tell you to put your clothes back on!! I wish that weight was my only problem...because I would in no way let myself worry about what other people are thinking about how heavy I am. When it comes to weight, others are more concerned about what they look like than what others are looking like - unless you are 5'5" tall and weigh 400 lbs trying to wear a bikini or speedo...then I still won't come up to you and tell you to put your clothes on, but I will be embarrassed for you...and you probably are going to kind of stick out. If this is you, I invite you to wear your speedo or bikini in fact...if your really want to and it don't bother you - because then I KNOW nobody is going to be checking out what is wrong with me.

YOU have great points. And you're right about the BMI chart. It isn't fair to me either. Being a cheerleader, I have a lot of muscle, but of course with only plugging in height and weight, it says I'm almost unhealthy.

Heck no I'm not self conscious. I've come to a point where I'm comfortable in my own skin and it doesn't really matter to me what other people think. I know I'm a great person, I try my best to be a decent human being, and if being an attractive, plus-sized mother of 2 puts someone off...that's their problem, not mine. I dress appropriately for my age and size, and that's more for my own benefit than anyone else's.

I've not noticed a lot of "model" type bods on the cruises I've been on...it's a ship full of average people. Which is one of the things I like most about Carnival.

• 3 months later...
Just curious, I want to lay out by the pool and swim and such on the Lido deck...

But I'm just very self-conscious.

I'm not extremely overweight by any means,

I have put on a few extra pounds that have been difficult to diet and exercise off.

I want to have fun, but I'm not very comfortable in a swimsuit right now.

Has anyone else ever felt a little self conscious before their cruise?

This was a joke right??!! If not, you have been told that you're beautiful, right?! Ok, no...you should NOT be self-conscious.

This was a joke right??!! If not, you have been told that you're beautiful, right?! Ok, no...you should NOT be self-conscious.

Ok...so how did it go?? Anything to be self-conscious about?? Let's have a review with some photos (this was all a joke from the beginning...she said that she's thin and in good shape with that face....and you all were telling her to wear a cover-up?).

I would imagine that everyone, from a size 0 to a size whatever will respond with a whole-hearted 'yes, I feel self-conscious!' I'm 5'9" and about 145 and...

Self-conscious? Nope. Not even for a minute. I'm also 5'9", but more than twice what you are.

Frankly, I don't give two shakes what anyone else thinks of me, save for maybe my wife... sometimes... Baby, those ain't stretch marks... they're racing stripes!

even if I feel good about my body the 1st day of the cruise, one dinner in a specialty restaurant + a couple gallons of mixed drinks later and I feel pretty icky the rest of the time.

If you're still self-conscious - or even conscious - after a couple gallons of mixed drinks, you need to find a different bartender!

Ok...so how did it go?? Anything to be self-conscious about?? Let's have a review with some photos (this was all a joke from the beginning...she said that she's thin and in good shape with that face....and you all were telling her to wear a cover-up?).

Premature on my part...read your review....Excellent! Thank you, Jordan!;)

If you're still self-conscious - or even conscious - after a couple gallons of mixed drinks, you need to find a different bartender!

LoL, my bad, I meant to say the morning after all that. Till of course I'm back in the club =)

Nope, I've never felt self conscious at all. Really. My body is not the "bikini type" but I do wear a regular one-piece swimsuit. I have some extra poundage, but I don't give a rat's behind what anyone thinks of me while I'm getting some sun in a lounge chair. And I don't care what anyone thinks if I get a second lobster tail at dinner, or what I'm wearing on formal night, etc.

I will never see these people again. Their opinion doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

Go and have fun, don't worry about what other people think.

Just curious, I want to lay out by the pool and swim and such on the Lido deck...

But I'm just very self-conscious.

I'm not extremely overweight by any means,

I have put on a few extra pounds that have been difficult to diet and exercise off.

I want to have fun, but I'm not very comfortable in a swimsuit right now.

Has anyone else ever felt a little self conscious before their cruise?

Not at all. Who cares what others think? You don't know these people and will probably never see them again...so go, enjoy yourself and don't be self-conscious.

If you look around, there is no such thing as a perfect body....even those who think they are "all that" have serious flaws.

Don't worry about it. It's important you learn to be comfortable in your own skin.....you are NOT your body.

Archived