I don't want to pay the asking price!

I've just found out that, like GM and Chrysler, our office is going into a forced shutdown for the entire Christmas and New Year period. Bit of a bummer on two levels in that (a: ) we won't get paid, unless we use valuable vacation time, and (b: ) they didn't let us know a bit sooner so we could plan something. Oh well.

So, even though I really shouldn't, I started looking at a last minute Mexico cruise from our local homeports (LA and San Diego). Well of course the rates are rip-off city, with a cruise that would cost $300-400pp at any other time but during holidays currently running $750pp.

So I thought I'd call in and make a cheeky offer for anything that might be left over just prior to sailing. Not cheeky like "I'll pay $50pp", but cheeky like "I'll give you the same amount as it would cost me to take that cruise non-holiday".

So (a: ) what do you think my chances are and (b: ) how late do you think I should leave it to call? :confused:

Wish Priceline did bidding on cruises. :(

Well I've sent my cheeky offer via email to our cruise consultant with the most likely candidate line. My resarch shows 25 inside and 4 OV cabins available on his ship and I've told him I'd like to pull it off for $100pp/day instead of the $187pp/day they're asking. We'll see what happens. Like you said, they can only say no.

Well, if they don't go for it the world won't end. But if I don't get an email back from my guy, I'm still going to check availability 3 days out and phone if there are still unsold cabins.

Plan B is to just do a bunch of the local(ish) day trips we never seem to find the time (or should that be inclination?) for.

I would have thought $749 for a 7 day cruise on a 4.5 star ship in a balcony was pretty cheap.

Norwegian Star

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART Sat Jan 3 Los Angeles, CA

4:00pm Sun Jan 4 At Sea

Mon Jan 5 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 11:00am 6:00pm Tue Jan 6 Mazatlan, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm Wed Jan 7 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 8:00am 10:00pm Thu Jan 8 At Sea

Fri Jan 9 At Sea

Sat Jan 10 Los Angeles, CA 8:00am

Well I've sent my cheeky offer via email to our cruise consultant with the most likely candidate line. My resarch shows 25 inside and 4 OV cabins available on his ship and I've told him I'd like to pull it off for $100pp/day instead of the $187pp/day they're asking. We'll see what happens. Like you said, they can only say no.

If you wait long enough there may be a lonely stateroom without a view waiting for you at the last minute. Get your bags packed now so you are ready to board! Good luck! Make sure you keep everyone here informed.

I would have thought $749 for a 7 day cruise on a 4.5 star ship in a balcony was pretty cheap.

Norwegian Star

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART Sat Jan 3 Los Angeles, CA

4:00pm Sun Jan 4 At Sea

Mon Jan 5 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 11:00am 6:00pm Tue Jan 6 Mazatlan, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm Wed Jan 7 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 8:00am 10:00pm Thu Jan 8 At Sea

Fri Jan 9 At Sea

Sat Jan 10 Los Angeles, CA 8:00am

I think the OP most likely has to be back to work January 5th.

I think the OP most likely has to be back to work January 5th.

Yes, that's true. Otherwise I'll end up without ANY vacation time left for our cruise in June.

But I agree, $750 on a premium ship with a balcony is a pretty good deal. Unfortunately not the right deal for us.

Sorry about that.

Every month I look at the really cheap deals out of LA and San Diego.

Lucky I don't live there as I'd never be home.

We are currently booking a Europe trip and were hoping to find a cheap cruise at the end but dates haven't worked well for us either.

But I was lucky enough to find a cruise from Sydney (my home port) for Christmas as most of my family are away or working.

good luck.

How do you find out what cabins are available?

There are many online booking engines that, when you choose a cabin category during the booking process, will give you a selection of cabins to choose from.

Now it could be that these booking engines show a maximum of 10 cabins per category, which could mean there are more than the 20 cabins available it the two categories showing 10 available each.

Nope. They aren't going to go for it. Still have 14 inside cabins left, but "they don't negotiate".

On the other hand, I can do the January 1st 3-day in a two-porthole OV for $329pp (which I'm thinking about) and the 4-day on January 12th for $179pp in a regular OV with my retired wife's senior discount, if only I were retired as well!

Archived