Mens casual dining attire question

SCFCRUISER

Ok folks,since Carnival has relaxed the dress rules for casual nights I have a question. Men are now allowed to wear long dress shorts to dinner. For those of you that have cruised recently, have you seen alot of shorts (not jeans) worn by men in the dining room. I don't want to overpack!! If not many guys wear shorts, I'll stick to the basic long dockers like I have on past cruises.

And yes, I do enjoy dressing up on formal nights in a tux or dark suit. I wear jeans to work everyday, so dressing up is not a big deal to me.

Thanks,

Steve

We just got off the Freedom last Saturday, and truthfully, saw NO shorts in the dining room on any night!:)

Lots during the day at Breakfast and Lunch, including me, but not at night...:p 'Jeans' were prevelant on casual nites...:rolleyes:

Steve

I sail on the 10th of January and I am packing NO SUITS I dress up everyday for work no need to on vacation

For dinner I will wear Jeans or shorts for formal night I will wear polo and slacks

We choose late night dining and will eat in the formal dinning room everynight as thats where the best food is.

Have a great Cruise

Jared:cool:

Ok folks,since Carnival has relaxed the dress rules for casual nights I have a question. Men are now allowed to wear long dress shorts to dinner. For those of you that have cruised recently, have you seen alot of shorts (not jeans) worn by men in the dining room. I don't want to overpack!! If not many guys wear shorts, I'll stick to the basic long dockers like I have on past cruises.

And yes, I do enjoy dressing up on formal nights in a tux or dark suit. I wear jeans to work everyday, so dressing up is not a big deal to me.

Thanks,

Steve

It may depend on the time of year and length of cruise. DH wore nice shorts on our last 2 cruises this year as did many other men and I'm sure it's getting more and more common as people are aware of the new dress code.

I'm sure the 'time of year' may be a reason why shorts are not so common during the winter months...!:p

We are from Erie, PA and our 'shorts' have been put in mothballs for 3 months...;)

It was also a tad chilly on a few nights during our cruise, so the Dockers and Jeans came out..!:)

Personally, I try to go the 'Dockers' route, but the last night was 'traveling' jeans, as we had our suitcases 'in the hall' by dining time..:D

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts;

Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I think that unless you are a 20 something, and a young 20 something at that, you will feel more comfortable with dockers. Last summer we saw a few guys in shorts but most of the males over the age of 10 or 12 had on long pants every night.

While I won't advocate that men need suits and tuxes, it is probably a bit more appropriate for you to wear the long pants, just looks a little better IMHO.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm an old guy (51) ha..ha. I was just thinking it would be easier to pack shorts than long pants & the use of smaller luggage. But, not a big deal, I'll stick to the long dockers.

41 days & counting!!!!

I'm an old guy (51) ha..ha. I was just thinking it would be easier to pack shorts than long pants & the use of smaller luggage. But, not a big deal, I'll stick to the long dockers.

41 days & counting!!!!

Its really NOT a big deal...! Wear what is comfortable for you!:)

I'm a young 63, but I feel Dockers are the way to go... If you are 'careful', you can wear the same pair for two/three nights in the DR.. It's only an hour or so..!!;):D

IMHO!!!

If you wear shorts in the dining room for dinner you will be one of 'those' that are talked about on this forum, daily.

Didn't you all watch Titanic? You wear a tux on 'FORMAL' night. The term 'elegant night' is for those people that went down with the ship. :D

Wear what you like, it's all good! It is YOUR cruise! Have a good one!

Even tho' some will wear them, shorts are really NOT appropriate for dinner---for breakfast and lunch, they're fine.

Shorts are appropriate for dinner. Just because you feel long Dockers are more of a fit for you does not mean it is wrong for other cruisers to choose to follow Carnival's policy of long dress shorts being acceptable. I suggest if you don't like the policy then cruise another line or don't eat in the dining room.

• 1 month later...

Ok folks, since I started this thread, I will report back on the subject. We just got back Monday night from the Victory. For casual dress nights, I only saw a couple of guys that had shorts on & our table was the very first table as you walked into the Atlantic dining room, so I paid attention to what the guys were wearing. On dress nights, a few tuxes, a lot of suits/coat & ties & a few that had slacks & dress shirt, but no shorts that I recall.

For the record, I wore dockers on casual nights & suit for dress nights.

Archived