$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

Why wouldn't you leave if you don't like it?:confused:

That trivial point aside. Tough economic times, means that the corporation that is RCI has to make money in order to survive. That is basic, unavoidable, and fundamental, despite what you might hear watching the evening news. The corporation has a responsibility to the shareholders to try to make money. Why is it only your way that they are allowed to change? It is their ships, not yours. They can change everything about their product if they want. That is why it is called private property. I know this is an archaic concept today. When the people's good is viewed as supreme.

No rational person thinks that this is a good thing for the consumer. I mean who wants to pay for something that is free? However, if I have a choice to choose between eliminating free room service or only eliminating it after hours. Well that is a bit different. So, many of the arguements here are about the slippery slope. Guess what we are already sliding downhill. You can pretend that cruising is exactly like it was, but you would be lying to yourself.

In this current environment as so many here decide to stomp their collective feet and to scream that we don't like these changes, I stand out, separate alone as an individual, and say I understand why RCI needs to change. I alone as an individual relish their right to decide how to operate their business. I alone as an individual will decide in the future if the changes they make suit me enough to choose to sail with them in the future. When you strip all of the arguements pro and con you are left with a single fact. They get to make the rules, and we get to buy their product or not.

So scream and stomp all you want. You have the right to do so.:D I just wonder why anyone would bother to do so.;)

jc

That trivial point aside. Tough economic times, means that the corporation that is RCI has to make money in order to survive. That is basic, unavoidable, and fundamental, despite what you might hear watching the evening news. The corporation has a responsibility to the shareholders to try to make money. Why is it only your way that they are allowed to change? It is their ships, not yours. They can change everything about their product if they want. That is why it is called private property. I know this is an archaic concept today. When the people's good is viewed as supreme.

My someone that actually gets it and thinks with a clear head. How refreshing.

No rational person thinks that this is a good thing for the consumer. I mean who wants to pay for something that is free? However, if I have a choice to choose between eliminating free room service or only eliminating it after hours. Well that is a bit different. So, many of the arguements here are about the slippery slope. Guess what we are already sliding downhill. You can pretend that cruising is exactly like it was, but you would be lying to yourself.

Again, right on target.

In this current environment as so many here decide to stomp their collective feet and to scream that we don't like these changes, I stand out, separate alone as an individual, and say I understand why RCI needs to change. I alone as an individual relish their right to decide how to operate their business. I alone as an individual will decide in the future if the changes they make suit me enough to choose to sail with them in the future. When you strip all of the arguements pro and con you are left with a single fact. They get to make the rules, and we get to buy their product or not.

So scream and stomp all you want. You have the right to do so.:D I just wonder why anyone would bother to do so.;)

jc

I wonder how many of the posters on this board that are unhappy have contacted Royal Caribbean about thier recent changes and how many are just venting about it here? How many would actually move to another cruise line? Of course, those other cruise lines are also making cuts regardless of what people think.

While I personally have no problem with this particular $3.95 charge for room service during the middle of the night because there are legitimate reasons why it would cost more during that time (staffing problems, etc.), I do have a problem with the adding of extra charges that seem to keep coming on a regular basis. Many of the people who post on this thread and others regarding increased and new charges per item/service justify their acceptance of the new charges with a "if it keeps my cruise fare low it is fine because I just won't use those extra services" mentality may be in for a bit of a surprise when they eventually have all the new "pay as you go" features fully instilled in the system and then proceed to raise the cruise fares anyway.

As far as me personally, I am already paying the super high rates because I generally sail during holidays and summers and on the newer more expensive ships because we bring the family. I am used to paying higher cruise fares. The extra charges won't keep me from cruising. But I think many people who get the low fares by sailing in the off season and think it is just fine and dandy to pay extra for any and everything once on board are going to find out they aren't stopping there. Those costs will become instilled in the system and then the rates will rise. Many who now sail on RCL fairly inexpensively will be priced out. But there are always lower priced cruise lines.

Just look at the example of the airlines.

JMO,

Colleen

jc

As usual jc... beautifully stated...

I wonder how many people begrudge their own employers attempts to remain profitable... especially if their livelihoods depended on it...

I know I'm not crazy about some of the "changes" my employer has recently instilled which seem anti-customer service friendly but I want them to be profitable because it means I have a job...

Companies have an obligation to their shareholders to remain profitable but they also have employees to protect also...

I can't begrudge a company for raising its' prices or changing their pricing structure or implementing surcharges/upcharges... especially if it means that people keep their jobs and benefits...

But if and when a company prices themselves out of my league or morphs into something I no longer find valuable, I have confidence in the power of competition to provide me with another option... That's the beauty of capitalism... there will always be someone out there who seizes an opportunity to provide a product that fills a need...

But if and when a company prices themselves out of my league or morphs into something I no longer find valuable, I have confidence in the power of competition to provide me with another option... That's the beauty of capitalism... there's will always be someone out there who seizes an opportunity to provide a product that fills a need...

Exactly.

You paid the same rate to cruise one year later. Do you think that the cruise line paid the same amount for the food one year later?

No, I do not. At no time did I say that prices should never increase. As I (clearly) said:

We can (could) afford RCI cruises if the service and product were kept consistent and the prices were nominally adjusted for inflation (as are most other consumer products).

My point: Charge for the cruise (food & whatever) UP FRONT. If costs increase, raise the price accordingly. Drop the nickel & dime charges. Be honest about the price of the cruise and what it includes. Do not pretend to keep prices low by eliminating goods and services or by charging extra for things that have always been included in the base fare. Most people do not read CC and do not know about these charges until they are on board. It is a little like a bait & switch scheme.

Yes, I understand that RCI can charge anything they want and do anything they want with their ships. That is well within their right. It is our perogative to continue to give them our business or not. All of you loyal defenders of the "nickel & dime express" can have a blast paying your seapass bills. I am sure that all of you that consider this particuar charge reasonable and appropriate will also find the next 10 - 15 new fees & charges equally reasonable and appropriate.

My definition of "someone that actually gets it and thinks with a clear head" (ladylouwho):

I do have a problem with the adding of extra charges that seem to keep coming on a regular basis. Many of the people who post on this thread and others regarding increased and new charges per item/service justify their acceptance of the new charges with a "if it keeps my cruise fare low it is fine because I just won't use those extra services" mentality may be in for a bit of a surprise when they eventually have all the new "pay as you go" features fully instilled in the system and then proceed to raise the cruise fares anyway.

I do not believe that it will really decrease room service consumption, but will result in many people ordering vast quantities of food at 11 pm just in case they get hungry later during the midnight to five period. Maybe I am incorrect, but we will see!

I believe you are 100% correct, and soon it will be when your food is delivered and not ordered:(

[quote name=EBFURR;17911998

My point: Charge for the cruise (food & whatever) UP FRONT. If costs increase' date=' raise the price accordingly. Drop the nickel & dime charges. Be honest about the price of the cruise and what it includes. Do not pretend to keep prices low by eliminating goods and services or by charging extra for things that have always been included in the base fare.

I agree 100%. Why not charge a fair and realistic price up front? One of the nice things about cruises and land all-inclusive vacations was that they were a true get-a-way. Pay for everything up front, tips, everything and then RELAX. For those of us unable to cruise in the off season, we pay the higher fares and the new fees and charges. Why not charge a fairer cruise price during the off season and forget about the nickle and dimming? If someone can't afford to pay a more realistic price for an RCL cruise then they should choose another line. But for those of us who are willing to pay a realistic price up front and DO pay such prices, we don't want the pay as you go system. That system may benefit those who get the rock bottom prices, but it will drive away those who want a more relaxing experience (not having to pull out the sea pass card every two seconds) and are willing to pay for that experience.

My definition of "someone that actually gets it and thinks with a clear head" (ladylouwho):

I do have a problem with the adding of extra charges that seem to keep coming on a regular basis. Many of the people who post on this thread and others regarding increased and new charges per item/service justify their acceptance of the new charges with a "if it keeps my cruise fare low it is fine because I just won't use those extra services" mentality may be in for a bit of a surprise when they eventually have all the new "pay as you go" features fully instilled in the system and then proceed to raise the cruise fares anyway.

Thanks for the nice comment EBFURR. I am so used to getting bashed for my opinions on this subject I forget there are many others who feel the same but don't post because they don't want to be attacked for their opinions. There are many of us who see the writing on the wall with the new charges and realize it will not end with extra charges. This is only the beginning. Seems like many who have "no problem" with the nickle and dimming as long as it keeps their fares "cheap" are the same ones who will be most affected in the long run.

[quote name=EBFURR;17911998

My point: Charge for the cruise (food & whatever) UP FRONT. If costs increase' date=' raise the price accordingly. Drop the nickel & dime charges. Be honest about the price of the cruise and what it includes. Do not pretend to keep prices low by eliminating goods and services or by charging extra for things that have always been included in the base fare.

I agree 100%. Why not charge a fair and realistic price up front? One of the nice things about cruises and land all-inclusive vacations was that they were a true get-a-way. Pay for everything up front, tips, everything and then RELAX. For those of us unable to cruise in the off season, we pay the higher fares and the new fees and charges. Why not charge a fairer cruise price during the off season and forget about the nickle and dimming? If someone can't afford to pay a more realistic price for an RCL cruise then they should choose another line. But for those of us who are willing to pay a realistic price up front and DO pay such prices, we don't want the pay as you go system. That system may benefit those who get the rock bottom prices, but it will drive away those who want a more relaxing experience (not having to pull out the sea pass card every two seconds) and are willing to pay for that experience.

Probably because they know that most passengers are not aware of the differences in the cruise lines, and only know what the up front cost is. In other words, you go to the Lexus dealer and you go to the Hyundai dealer. I imagine Hyundai does a very nice job of selling a lot of cars. Are they equal cars to Lexus. Nope, but only those that understand the difference are going to buy a Lexus. Those that are just looking at the initial cost are going to go Hyundai everytime. RCI doesn't want to lose any more customers to Carnival cheap prices than they have to. Not everyone reads CC or has cruised on more than one cruise line and knows what the differences are. The cruiselines still have a huge proportion of first time cruisers on most sailings. Getting that first time cruiser and not Carnival is important to their marketing plan, because most people are more likely to book their next cruise on the line they booked their first.

Again, it is not a matter of why not... that is just mental exercise on our part. The world is as the world is. Their decisions for good or bad are the world that we have to deal with. CC is great for giving us a way to learn the world as the way it is, but instead we only seem to talk about the way we want the world to be. Why?:confused:

jc

I think it is great that people here are able to see things from a business perspective. There is nothing wrong with making an argument from a business perspective. And just because people voice (write) their likes and dislikes with the changes, it doesn't mean that they don't understand the business side of things. They simply have a right to write about their likes and dislikes. And it has nothing to do with jumping up and down or stamping their feet. One can like a particular change or not and still like the product and RCI. It isn't all or nothing here folks. We are not talking about a one demensional product. THAT is why responses like "if you don't like it.... leave" make little sense. People are not saying the don't like the product. They are not saying they don't like RCI. They are commenting on ONE specific aspect. Every post does not have to have some politically correct line in it like.... I don't like this change BUT I understand why RCI might be doing it or I don't like this change but I still love RCI.

Yes, most people here have a genuine interest in RCI's survival. That is mostly true because we like the product and want to continue to have access to it in the future. Personally, I love the product. None of the changes so far have changed my opinion. However, if RCI turns inself into something that one no longer likes and one has to look elsewhere for their vacation needs does the future existance of RCI really retain as much importance? RCI is absolutely free to do whatever they want with their product as has been stated. I truly hope that they never turn into something that I no longer desire to keep buying. GM did that. Now I own a Toyota.

Probably because they know that most passengers are not aware of the differences in the cruise lines, and only know what the up front cost is. In other words, you go to the Lexus dealer and you go to the Hyundai dealer. I imagine Hyundai does a very nice job of selling a lot of cars. Are they equal cars to Lexus. Nope, but only those that understand the difference are going to buy a Lexus. Those that are just looking at the initial cost are going to go Hyundai everytime. RCI doesn't want to lose any more customers to Carnival cheap prices than they have to. Not everyone reads CC or has cruised on more than one cruise line and knows what the differences are. The cruiselines still have a huge proportion of first time cruisers on most sailings. Getting that first time cruiser and not Carnival is important to their marketing plan, because most people are more likely to book their next cruise on the line they booked their first.

Again, it is not a matter of why not... that is just mental exercise on our part. The world is as the world is. Their decisions for good or bad are the world that we have to deal with. CC is great for giving us a way to learn the world as the way it is, but instead we only seem to talk about the way we want the world to be. Why?:confused:

jc

Your points are valid and yes by quoting low fares RCL may get new customers that have never cruised before. Whether they can keep these customers once the new cruiser gets on board and realizes they seem to be constantly pulling out their sea pass card is another story.

But at the same time, changing the atmosphere of the experience (nickle and dimming and reducing C&A benefits for loyal, repeat customers) just might drive away many of their existing customers. To me a good business plan involves a long term strategy, not a shoot from the hip try to get whatever you can right now kinda plan.

Your opinions on this matter are valid and make sense. My opinions on this matter are valid and make sense. Discussing them on a cruise topic forum is valid and makes sense.

I care about this issue because I sail on RCL quite often and would like to continue to do so. I do not want to see the RCL product go down hill. I believe the nickel and dimming cheapens the experience. I own stock in the company and would love to see the company do well in these hard economic times. I spend a lot of money with RCL and feel that as a repeat and valued customer and as a stockholder I have the right and maybe even the obligation to speak out when I think some of the Corporate decisions are misguided.

The cruise fares should reflect a realistic cost to the customer for their cruise. "Tips/Gratuities" should be paid up front so as to make sure the employees are compensated for their labor. Many cruise lines do this. There are many ways of keeping a good company "afloat" in hard economic times. I just disagree with some of the changes (not all) and would hope the company pays attention to those of us who have cruised with them over and over and would love to continue to do so but not at the cost of cheapening the experience or rescinding loyalty benefits.

jc

Maybe because that is how folks are when they are discussing their vacations and in particular, a type of vacation that they tend to be very passionate about??;)

But, all and all, a very good post. :D

I think it is great that people here are able to see things from a business perspective. There is nothing wrong with making an argument from a business perspective. And just because people voice (write) their likes and dislikes with the changes, it doesn't mean that they don't understand the business side of things. They simply have a right to write about their likes and dislikes. And it has nothing to do with jumping up and down or stamping their feet. One can like a particular change or not and still like the product and RCI. It isn't all or nothing here folks. We are not talking about a one demensional product. THAT is why responses like "if you don't like it.... leave" make little sense. People are not saying the don't like the product. They are not saying they don't like RCI. They are commenting on ONE specific aspect. Every post does not have to have some politically correct line in it like.... I don't like this change BUT I understand why RCI might be doing it or I don't like this change but I still love RCI.

Yes, most people here have a genuine interest in RCI's survival. That is mostly true because we like the product and want to continue to have access to it in the future. Personally, I love the product. None of the changes so far have changed my opinion. However, if RCI turns inself into something that one no longer likes and one has to look elsewhere for their vacation needs does the future existance of RCI really retain as much importance? RCI is absolutely free to do whatever they want with their product as has been stated. I truly hope that they never turn into something that I no longer desire to keep buying. GM did that. Now I own a Toyota.

Excellent points.

This post can go on forever and ever.

Abridalmaven,

This could lead to other charges according to the way you look at things. For instance, I have friends that don't go to any of the shows.........do you suggest that those that want to see the shows should pay admission so that those that don't take advantage of the shows won't have to pay for those of us that do??? Get the point???

A show and normal meals are all part of a cruise. Gluttony in the WJ and irresponsible room service calls are not. :cool:

I am wearing my asbestos undies. Flame away. :D

A show and normal meals are all part of a cruise. Gluttony in the WJ and irresponsible room service calls are not. :cool:

I am wearing my asbestos undies. Flame away. :D

LOL..........I try not to flame anyone. Everyone has their opinions and I respect them all, but some don't respect others and that's when I get mad. Okay, I was only making a point to Bridalmaven because she thinks it's fine to charge for any service because she feels if she doesn't use them she won't be paying for them. What's the difference between the service of having your cabin cleaned and bed made every day and room service. Room Service was always part of your cruise as well.

There's been so much nickel and diming that it does make people upset. I'm not upset about it but I don't think it's a good move to RCCL. I mean just how much money is that charge of room service going to get them. It certainly isn't going to make them have a profit. I get upset about bigger things like the fact that we can't use a shareholder benefit with anything else - that's totally ridiculous!!! I can even understand not being able to use the shareholder OBC with the NC OBC, but not being able to use it with a Platinum/Diamond balcony discount is just nuts!!

I remember when RCCL had drink cards and I loved those things. You paid one amount of money and it gave you a certain number of drinks.......the bartender would just punch the card. When it was filled up you bought another card. Now I hate having to sign all those little receipts for every drink we get........it's just annoying to have all those slips of paper. I remember when soda was free, not that we drink soda because we don't, but it was free and now familys with kids have to buy soda on a cruise. If someone told me back then that RCCL was going to start charging for soda......I probably would have said..........NO WAY, that's part of the normal cruise.........well, it's not anymore. Anyway, whatever, it's RCCL's choice to do whatever they want and obviously they do.

Hey, Charging for the Shows! What a great idea! The Suite passengers can have the first few rows and the other folks, well, $3.95 seems like a good price to me. LOL! After a million RCL cruises we don't go to that many shows any more so hey yeah, why not??? LOL! And besides, all those new customers that RCL is trying to get, they don't know any better, let them pay for the shows, heck, $3.95 is cheaper than a movie back home. And besides, if you don't want to pay for it, just don't go!

Anyone see any similarities to arguments for well......let's see.....charging for soda, charging for juice, charging for JR's, no in room consumption (even with a fee) of liquor purchased on board, no longer being allowed to bring wine on board and pay a corkage fee, 3% charge to use money in the casino, $14.95 steak charge, add'l charge for JR's, late night room service charges........hmmmmm what's next? Any guesses? Shall we take bets on what comes next? Just a matter of time folks. (And we aren't even talking about the service cutbacks and the C&A benefit cutbacks.)

Hey, and then once those new charges (and more) are all instilled into the mindset of the cruiser as just a regular part of the cruise cost, then RCL can............drum roll please.......RAISE the price of the cruise fare! Just think how happy everyone will be then.

Hey, Charging for the Shows! What a great idea! The Suite passengers can have the first few rows and the other folks, well, $3.95 seems like a good price to me. LOL! After a million RCL cruises we don't go to that many shows any more so hey yeah, why not??? LOL! And besides, all those new customers that RCL is trying to get, they don't know any better, let them pay for the shows, heck, $3.95 is cheaper than a movie back home. And besides, if you don't want to pay for it, just don't go!

Anyone see any similarities to arguments for well......let's see.....charging for soda, charging for juice, charging for JR's, no in room consumption (even with a fee) of liquor purchased on board, no longer being allowed to bring wine on board and pay a corkage fee, 3% charge to use money in the casino, $14.95 steak charge, add'l charge for JR's, late night room service charges........hmmmmm what's next? Any guesses? Shall we take bets on what comes next? Just a matter of time folks. (And we aren't even talking about the service cutbacks and the C&A benefit cutbacks.)

Hey, and then once those new charges (and more) are all instilled into the mindset of the cruiser as just a regular part of the cruise cost, then RCL can............drum roll please.......RAISE the price of the cruise fare! Just think how happy everyone will be then.

New charges and increases are instilled into the mindset of some people as a regular part of LIFE and LIVING. With a fare increase, many will still be happy if and when they can afford to go. Drum roll for those who are happy for the fact they can still go, despite all the other changes and expenses in their non-cruise life. For some that's at least 51 weeks out of the year. I have the drums and this time the pom poms:D RCCL hasn't done anthing our grocery store , insurance company or fast food places haven't done. I guess some of us have gotten used to it:eek:

New charges and increases are instilled into the mindset of some people as a regular part of LIFE and LIVING. With a fare increase, many will still be happy if and when they can afford to go. Drum roll for those who are happy for the fact they can still go, despite all the other changes and expenses in their non-cruise life. For some that's at least 51 weeks out of the year. I have the drums and this time the pom poms:D RCCL hasn't done anthing our grocery store , insurance company or fast food places haven't done. I guess some of us have gotten used to it:eek:

Hey and that is cool, Kooljamming. I certainly understand that it is hard times for many. But some of us had gotten used to cruising and relaxing without having to get ones sea pass card out every couple of minutes. Just charge up front for what the cruise costs. That's all.The nickle and dimming demeans the whole experience in my opinion. And that is what it is, my opinion. If in the end folks want the pay as you go system the mall mentality wins. Just put up the fast food restaurants and the chain mid-scale restaurants all along the promenade. Pay for what you want to eat. Charge for decent food in the Main Dining Room. No problem.

If that is the way RCL is going fine. But they give mixed signals. I would rather pay up front for the experience and pay for only real "extras" along the way. If RCL is going in a different direction, then I and others who feel the same may not follow RCL's path.

Hey and that is cool, Kooljamming. I certainly understand that it is hard times for many. But some of us had gotten used to cruising and relaxing without having to get ones sea pass card out every couple of minutes. Just charge up front for what the cruise costs. That's all.The nickle and dimming demeans the whole experience in my opinion. And that is what it is, my opinion. If in the end folks want the pay as you go system the mall mentality wins. Just put up the fast food restaurants and the chain mid-scale restaurants all along the promenade. Pay for what you want to eat. Charge for decent food in the Main Dining Room. No problem.

If that is the way RCL is going fine. But they give mixed signals. I would rather pay up front for the experience and pay for only real "extras" along the way. If RCL is going in a different direction, then I and others who feel the same may not follow RCL's path.

My first cruise was 15 years ago. I have always viewed cruising as a nickle and dime adventure comparing to my other all inclusive vacations. I have spent more on photos and drinks than on the cost of the actual cruise. Now they are adding a few things than before. I am used to paying for things on a cruise. I add 15-25 percent to the cost of each cruise to cover extras. With lower fares that percentage keeps going up. I recently booked 7 nights to Alaska on Princess for $2157 (total) for a family on 4. Realistically I need to add 50-60 percent for extras. For this price I would be happy with 2 solid meals and buying lunch on excursions. I must admit I am happy with the inside gty and any meals not prepared in my kitchen or served with fries is a good start for me:p All along I thought paying for drinks on a vacation is Jack, especially soda...come on!

LOL..........I try not to flame anyone. Everyone has their opinions and I respect them all, but some don't respect others and that's when I get mad. Okay, I was only making a point to Bridalmaven because she thinks it's fine to charge for any service because she feels if she doesn't use them she won't be paying for them. What's the difference between the service of having your cabin cleaned and bed made every day and room service. Room Service was always part of your cruise as well.

There's been so much nickel and diming that it does make people upset. I'm not upset about it but I don't think it's a good move to RCCL. I mean just how much money is that charge of room service going to get them. It certainly isn't going to make them have a profit. I get upset about bigger things like the fact that we can't use a shareholder benefit with anything else - that's totally ridiculous!!! I can even understand not being able to use the shareholder OBC with the NC OBC, but not being able to use it with a Platinum/Diamond balcony discount is just nuts!!

I remember when RCCL had drink cards and I loved those things. You paid one amount of money and it gave you a certain number of drinks.......the bartender would just punch the card. When it was filled up you bought another card. Now I hate having to sign all those little receipts for every drink we get........it's just annoying to have all those slips of paper. I remember when soda was free, not that we drink soda because we don't, but it was free and now familys with kids have to buy soda on a cruise. If someone told me back then that RCCL was going to start charging for soda......I probably would have said..........NO WAY, that's part of the normal cruise.........well, it's not anymore. Anyway, whatever, it's RCCL's choice to do whatever they want and obviously they do.

I hear you. :)

Lack of combinability of stockholder OBC and the Diamond discount makes me nuts too. :cool::eek:

HAL still has a wine card for 10 or 20 drinks. I found it very convenient and wish RCI had one. :)

I hear you. :)

Lack of combinability of stockholder OBC and the Diamond discount makes me nuts too. :cool::eek:

HAL still has a wine card for 10 or 20 drinks. I found it very convenient and wish RCI had one. :)

RCL's drink cards could be used for any drink and it was so convenient instead of pulling out your ship card and signing papers and having all those slips of paper for every drink you buy. We used them for everything except beer since beer is always cheaper than a drink anyway, didn't want to waste our punches on beer.........LOL

Patty

Archived