$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

Of course, TW, when the room full of spring breakers ordered food for their 20 new friends they didn't tip at all. Now the RS employee will make a buck plus! I bet the employees will be happy by the new system. I am guessing that the people posting on these threads that claim to be really generous tippers offering a five spot for their late night indulgences. I am guessing that the typical experience is not combined with equally generous tips. I know that if I pay my dining room waiter $3.50 a day in tips, a person that I will spend a couple of hours with every night, that the typical customer is not going to pay a complete stranger showing up at their room with munchies a $1.50 more than their MDR waiter. I have been reading all of these amazing to me posts claiming that they tip this much, everytime, and I felt a bit guilty, as I typically gave RS (of course this is at 7 to 8 am) a $1 or on my last cruise because I was left with European currency I would give a pound or an euro. Those guys early in the cruise were rocking and rolling making about $2 versus later on when they were only getting a $1.50 (currency exchange being what it is).

In other words I don't believe the majority of RS users are typically tipping $5 at 3am.... Sorry, not buying that.:D Further most people know that there is no tip required to be given to room service any more than there is a requirement to tip the waiters or room stewards.

jc

I do agree about the tipping at 3AM. What I am not buying is the reasons given for the charge. It is trying to increase the bottom line - plain and simple, Not saying there is anything wrong with that.

But just saying I don't think it is "cruisers have done it to themselves" either......:)

• 2 weeks later...

First, we were on the Grandeur after the 1st and did order RS a couple of times and were never charged but would have paid it without a problem.

Second, IF RCCI is doing this to cut down on wasting food, why are they pocketing the bulk of the money. Why not give the whole $3.95 to the server. Makes me really wonder......they come out saying "Oh we are only doing it to cut back on how much food is wasted" makes them sound good and the passenger sound like a wasteful pig. Just not buying it, I really think they are just finding another way to make a little extra Cha Ching!!!

It's their company they can do as they please when all the nickel and diming get to be too much then it will be our decision to do as we please and look at other cruise lines.

So, basically the charge for room service during those hours is what I would have tipped the guy/gal anyway. Same difference to me...maybe the staff ends up with a smaller tip.

I'll just place my order a few minutes before midnight, or just after 5 a.m. for those early morning excursion days :D

Has anyone returned from a cruise this month on which the new RS fee was charged?

I just returned from the AOS on Sunday. I have no idea if it was charged, as I was asleep during those hours. :)

We did use the hanging tag every night to order breakfast each morning, as we always do. And I give $5 to the person who delivers it, as I always have. (no video of this, so you'll just have to take my word for it.:p)

But I also leave more than the recommended amounts for gratuities. They work hard, and always have a smile on their face.

See how RCI starts with Midnight, next 10pm, then all room service.

I still amazed on how many here just love any extra charge.

Thanks for saying this Brad. I was reading this thread and wondering who are these people who try to rationalize how GOOD it is for Cruise Lines to follow the Air Lines in trying to add nickle and dime charges on a whole host of things.

I think all those who try to rationalize "well good, we should be charged" or "good now we don't have to scramble for money" should all pay into a fund before each cruise. They can pay to cover the extra charges cruise lines try to impose.

It would be a win-win for us all. These people can then pay EVEN MORE (and post here how great it is! yay!) and we won't have to pay these extra charges because our dear friends who love extra charges/being nickled-and-dimed can all post here in their glory about how great it is they got to pay the extra expense.

And I just noticed that only $1.50 of the amount actually goes to the tip and they encourage you to tip more if you normally would.

So the argument "good, now the servers will get respectable tips" goes out the window. Unless you add a tip ON TOP of the $3.95 surcharge, in actuality the servers are probably going to end up getting LESS under this new system.

Thanks for saying this Brad. I was reading this thread and wondering who are these people who try to rationalize how GOOD it is for Cruise Lines to follow the Air Lines in trying to add nickle and dime charges on a whole host of things.

I think all those who try to rationalize "well good, we should be charged" or "good now we don't have to scramble for money" should all pay into a fund before each cruise. They can pay to cover the extra charges cruise lines try to impose.

It would be a win-win for us all. These people can then pay EVEN MORE (and post here how great it is! yay!) and we won't have to pay these extra charges because our dear friends who love extra charges/being nickled-and-dimed can all post here in their glory about how great it is they got to pay the extra expense.

And I just noticed that only $1.50 of the amount actually goes to the tip and they encourage you to tip more if you normally would.

So the argument "good, now the servers will get respectable tips" goes out the window. Unless you add a tip ON TOP of the $3.95 surcharge, in actuality the servers are probably going to end up getting LESS under this new system.

This is just nonsense. There are those like yourself that want low fares and everything free. As a former business owner I know that just does not work. So if they just raise fares overall, does that mean I have to start eating and drinking extra all times of the day and order room service ( which is raare for me) just because it is included? No, I am not paying for things I did not use, simple. And people like yourself that wants ultra service and prices to match, go on a more snobby line, lie there and just let them pour the food into your mouth, why bother to get up? :p:rolleyes:

RCCL right now like many cruiselines/airlines etc... are have huge Financial Difficulties..

I am a cruise manager for an agency and know cruises to the bone, aslo as a former employee of the ships.

I cant beileve how people who actually sail truly think they should get everything for nothing.

everyone complains about pricing for a cruise and how 500.00 is too expensive....lets put somethings into reality....

1. Cost of fuel

2. Cost of maintaining a ship

3. Employee Salaries (remember 2 guests to 1 employee you do the math)

4. Energy usage

5. Port fees

6. cleaners & Chemicals

7. Food & beverage costs

8. Airfare for employees

9. Cabin upkeep

10. Entertainers

11. the list continues on and on....

for petes sake you can get a cruise for 99.00 port charges incl. and every one is complaining that they have to pay 3.95 for room service, ro how you dont feel you should have to tip????

These kind of people infuriate me....If you cannot afford to go on a vacation then stay at home.

Almost every cruise line is selling inventory below cost....

And thats not just cruise lines but the entire industry. You are all spoiled with these LOW LOW fares, but you do not rationalize anything....

So would you rater pay 99.00 and have a ship ready to crumble into the sea, no entertainment, poor food, no drinks but de-salted sea water, half clean linens??? or pay 99.00 and have a few extra charges on board for a great experience?

Either way you will never be satisfied, and you will always have something to compain about....HOW SAD.

**FYI the reference of "you" was not to any one directly, just speaking to the entire cruising public

I may have come off as a bit of an a** but honetly, the employees work hard and wit hand and foot on cruise passengers, jsut to be treated with disrespect and little pay. 6-8 monthes of thier lives is thousands of miles away from their families and life as they know it. 6-8 monthes of thie lives is devoted to YOU....think about that the next time you cruise.

Great post but you might as well save your breath. The poor staff means nothing to some of these passengers because they are not like 'them'. All that matters is how little they pay and how much they get. To heck with how it happens because it's all about 'them'. I wonder how much they would object if it was their children or grandchildren working these jobs. Well, in the US, that might not happen because welfare would be easier on some count:( If RCCL was their employer would it matter? Probably not because they would count on a bailout and still keep their jobs. For the most part the crusing public is special, such great value go unapppreciated because of a need to expect more for less.

Great post but you might as well save your breath. The poor staff means nothing to some of these passengers because they are not like 'them'. All that matters is how little they pay and how much they get. To heck with how it happens because it's all about 'them'. I wonder how much they would object if it was their children or grandchildren working these jobs. Well, in the US, that would never happen because welfare would be easier:( If RCL was their employer would it matter? Probably not because they would count on a bailout and still keep their jobs. For the most part the crusing public is special, such great value go unapppreciated because of a need to expect more for less.

I worked in the hospitality industry for 18 years and know all about the service industry. I've done every job from mopping floors to serving royalty and CEOs of multinational companies.

No one is saying they do not appreciate the hard working staff members. No one is saying that we don't expect to pay for our cruises.

The objection is that once we've paid for something we don't expect the rules to change and have to pay again for it.

Also, if the cruises are priced too low then the cruiselines should raise their prices to cover their costs. The challenge becomes if they price them too high then they have to drop the fares to fill the ship and nickle and dime folks to make it back. It's simple supply and demand and simple economics.

Originally I paid $11K for my cruise but due to RC's pricing policy I was able to switch to a longer cruise, get a second room for my MIL and BIL, and pay for their flights, and I got $3000 refunded to my credit card and over $600 OBC on my room and $280 on my MIL's.

It's a simple issue of RC baiting and switching which is what folks are upset about. $3.95 for room service, an increase in JR to $4.95, no OBC refunds, non combinable discounts. When something is perceived as a benefit and then that benefit is reduced or taken away or there is a charge for what used to be free folks are going to be upset. It's not that we think we are better than the room stewards, it's not that we want a cruise for $499.99, it's that we agreed to something and then the big guys changed the rules.

I worked in the hospitality industry for 18 years and know all about the service industry. I've done every job from mopping floors to serving royalty and CEOs of multinational companies.

No one is saying they do not appreciate the hard working staff members. No one is saying that we don't expect to pay for our cruises.

The objection is that once we've paid for something we don't expect the rules to change and have to pay again for it.

Also, if the cruises are priced too low then the cruiselines should raise their prices to cover their costs. The challenge becomes if they price them too high then they have to drop the fares to fill the ship and nickle and dime folks to make it back. It's simple supply and demand and simple economics.

Originally I paid $11K for my cruise but due to RC's pricing policy I was able to switch to a longer cruise, get a second room for my MIL and BIL, and pay for their flights, and I got $3000 refunded to my credit card and over $600 OBC on my room and $280 on my MIL's.

It's a simple issue of RC baiting and switching which is what folks are upset about. $3.95 for room service, an increase in JR to $4.95, no OBC refunds, non combinable discounts. When something is perceived as a benefit and then that benefit is reduced or taken away or there is a charge for what used to be free folks are going to be upset. It's not that we think we are better than the room stewards, it's not that we want a cruise for $499.99, it's that we agreed to something and then the big guys changed the rules.

Cruising is still a value vacation. Dollar for dollar you are getting more than you paid for. So it might be a little less, really what's is the problem? You are getting you money's worth and if and when you don't move on. At no point RCCL stated they couldn't change the rules, a lot here assume they can't or shouldn't....wrong! Life's lesson: enjoy things as much as you can because you don't know when it's going to be all gone be it, OBC, C&A, B2B, D+, even your health. Poof it all be gone:D I have known people to loose at lot more than vacation benefits and whined less about it than some of these cruisers. Heavens forbid one less B2B for someone, it's all about how things affect ME and not much about how and why it needed to be done. When would it be a good time to implement change? Someone is always booking or paying on a cruise. Everyday someone's final payment comes due. Is change ever a good time for some when they are not benefiting from it :-)

RCCL right now like many cruiselines/airlines etc... are have huge Financial Difficulties..

I am a cruise manager for an agency and know cruises to the bone, aslo as a former employee of the ships.

I cant beileve how people who actually sail truly think they should get everything for nothing.

everyone complains about pricing for a cruise and how 500.00 is too expensive....lets put somethings into reality....

1. Cost of fuel

2. Cost of maintaining a ship

3. Employee Salaries (remember 2 guests to 1 employee you do the math)

4. Energy usage

5. Port fees

6. cleaners & Chemicals

7. Food & beverage costs

8. Airfare for employees

9. Cabin upkeep

10. Entertainers

11. the list continues on and on....

for petes sake you can get a cruise for 99.00 port charges incl. and every one is complaining that they have to pay 3.95 for room service, ro how you dont feel you should have to tip????

These kind of people infuriate me....If you cannot afford to go on a vacation then stay at home.

Almost every cruise line is selling inventory below cost....

And thats not just cruise lines but the entire industry. You are all spoiled with these LOW LOW fares, but you do not rationalize anything....

So would you rater pay 99.00 and have a ship ready to crumble into the sea, no entertainment, poor food, no drinks but de-salted sea water, half clean linens??? or pay 99.00 and have a few extra charges on board for a great experience?

Either way you will never be satisfied, and you will always have something to compain about....HOW SAD.

**FYI the reference of "you" was not to any one directly, just speaking to the entire cruising public

I may have come off as a bit of an a** but honetly, the employees work hard and wit hand and foot on cruise passengers, jsut to be treated with disrespect and little pay. 6-8 monthes of thier lives is thousands of miles away from their families and life as they know it. 6-8 monthes of thie lives is devoted to YOU....think about that the next time you cruise.

First of all you make it sound like the cruise lines are selling invetory below cost because they want to do us a favor. They are not. They are selling the inventory for what they can get for it. It is pure economics of supply and demand. And, YOU should not be telling people to just stay home. If those people did stay home the cruise lines would have even bigger issues with less inventory being sold. As a "cruise manager for an agency" I would think that you would be a bit more attuned to that.

Yes the staff does work hard and I am quite sure that they are treated rather poorly by some. I have seen it for myself first hand. They are also treated exceptionally well by some. I have seen that first hand too. But please, don't make it sound like they go on the ships because they just want to devote 8 months of their lives to us. They are on the ships because they make a much better living than they could back home.

I have nothing but respect for the crews of these ships but lets keep things in perspective. You are getting just as carried away in one direction as some others are in the other.

My friend, until you work for the cruise lines and see first hand they are selling below cost. Then you have nothign to rant about.

Noone said Cruise lines are doing anyone a favor, but its a fact that everyone has been spoiled by low fares, cruise/airline the entire industry that there are many who look for the chepaest fare, yet want everything included.

And yes as a cruise manager I will be the first one to say "stay home"

Fact of the matter is if you want to pay 99.00 then fine, but dont cry and whine when your charged for something. Clients come to many agencies trying to get something extra or should i say demanding something more...it aint gonna happen.

yes crew on ships are trying to make things better for their families, and for that 6-8 monthes they are dfevoted to YOU 7 days a week by choice or not...they deserve respect and a tip when its due.

You may respect them, however you seem like one of the cheapos who may gripe about on board costs. I may be mistaken, but just an observation.

WHy dont you simmer down and just read the email for what its worth. A simple obervation and explanation of just how little these people make on board, a tip goes along way.

First of all you make it sound like the cruise lines are selling invetory below cost because they want to do us a favor. They are not. They are selling the inventory for what they can get for it. It is pure economics of supply and demand. And, YOU should not be telling people to just stay home. If those people did stay home the cruise lines would have even bigger issues with less inventory being sold. As a "cruise manager for an agency" I would think that you would be a bit more attuned to that.

Yes the staff does work hard and I am quite sure that they are treated rather poorly by some. I have seen it for myself first hand. They are also treated exceptionally well by some. I have seen that first hand too. But please, don't make it sound like they go on the ships because they just want to devote 8 months of their lives to us. They are on the ships because they make a much better living than they could back home.

I have nothing but respect for the crews of these ships but lets keep things in perspective. You are getting just as carried away in one direction as some others are in the other.

Yes, I agree some should stay home. Too many of the wrong bodies on the ship will sink it. All men might be created equal but RCCL is now figuring out what many of us knew all along, not all bodies.:p Some are really dead weight. These people are surrounded by so much food they need to eat their way to from sea to see land and maybe one step closer to a possible heart attack. Cruising is like parenting, it's not meant for everyone. Because you can, doesn't mean you should. The value is still there in cruising but there will be changes.....get used to it or stay home. Other cruise lines are doing the same, but you might do well at land all inclusive in the Caribbean and Mexico during hurricane season. Be careful of Gone With the Wind!

Well said! I agree!

Honestly I didn't find anyone on this thread that had a problem paying up the $3.95, it was more the fact that first it was free and now it isn't. It seems each week there is one more minor little charge here and another one there. It all starts to add up. And when booking these extra charges where not here and RCCI does not do well with announcing any of it's changes.

No one is saying that as a company they do not have the right to make changes or the right to make money. But some feel that the way they go about it seems a tad sneaky.

Imagine if you booked and paid for a cruise, you were not a CC person and you got on ship, and all the sudden it was $9.95 in the MDR each night, $20 for entrance to the pool, $5.95 to go into Windjammers and on and on.

JMHO

"for petes sake you can get a cruise for 99.00 port charges incl. and every one is complaining that they have to pay 3.95 for room service, ro how you dont feel you should have to tip????

So would you rater pay 99.00 and have a ship ready to crumble into the sea, no entertainment, poor food, no drinks but de-salted sea water, half clean linens??? or pay 99.00 and have a few extra charges on board for a great experience?"

$99 for a cruise with port charges? Please send me a link to that so I can book it.

"These kind of people infuriate me. "

Nice elitism going there.:rolleyes:

I've never ordered anything but cookies from room service so it doesn't bother me but I'm glad they will still have somewhere on the ship that will have food options during the night. My dh wasn't able to eat dinner one night while we were going through a hurricane so he was glad to be able to get something at 2:00 a.m. without calling room service.

Well said! Sparky never claimed to be a "good" cruise manager! Sounds like lots of jobs haven't worked out. (Might be the mouth.) Keeps harping on this $99 cruise -- show me the link!

I didn't see any for 99, but if you pull up your favorite on-line travel agency search engine and look for:

Travel Area: The Bahamas

Date Range: September 2009 - October 2009

Cruise Length: 2-5 Days

Departing from Miami, Florida

You will see a multitude of very low priced cruises. Prices are still a bit high this far out, but will most likely drop or go on special sale prices between now and then.

This is a fairly consistent time for the cheapest cruises available.

Theron

errr sorry if this has been covered - but is it just RCCL that's doing this? we booked with Princess and 1am french fries are kind of a tradition for us. We paid the fuel charges so does that make a difference? I know $4 shouldn't be a big deal, and I guess we shouldn't cruise if we can't afford it...and I'm not complainig - I just don't want to get my hopes up if this is market wide and I have to give up my 1am fries.

thanks

Well said! Sparky never claimed to be a "good" cruise manager! Sounds like lots of jobs haven't worked out. (Might be the mouth.) Keeps harping on this $99 cruise -- show me the link!

Well you know, sometimes people are promoted to managerial positions just to keep them insulated from the customers who are the life blood of any company.:p

My friend, until you work for the cruise lines and see first hand they are selling below cost. Then you have nothign to rant about.

Noone said Cruise lines are doing anyone a favor, but its a fact that everyone has been spoiled by low fares, cruise/airline the entire industry that there are many who look for the chepaest fare, yet want everything included.

Fact of the matter is if you want to pay 99.00 then fine, but dont cry and whine when your charged for something. Clients come to many agencies trying to get something extra or should i say demanding something more...it aint gonna happen.

yes crew on ships are trying to make things better for their families, and for that 6-8 monthes they are dfevoted to YOU 7 days a week by choice or not...they deserve respect and a tip when its due.

You may respect them, however you seem like one of the cheapos who may gripe about on board costs. I may be mistaken, but just an observation.

WHy dont you simmer down and just read the email for what its worth. A simple obervation and explanation of just how little these people make on board, a tip goes along way.

Please site a post of mine that would lend any credibility to that statement. Was it an observation or maybe a fabrication of yours? It doesn't matter. Either way you are dead wrong.

Just returned from Majesty on Friday and we ordered room service twice between midnight and 5am and we were not charged on our seapass at all....thank goodness we tipped cash and didn't depend on the card being charged for their tip;)

errr sorry if this has been covered - but is it just RCCL that's doing this? we booked with Princess and 1am french fries are kind of a tradition for us. We paid the fuel charges so does that make a difference? I know $4 shouldn't be a big deal, and I guess we shouldn't cruise if we can't afford it...and I'm not complainig - I just don't want to get my hopes up if this is market wide and I have to give up my 1am fries.

thanks

We were on Ruby Princess over Christmas and my kids ordered room service at night. We gave them cash for tips. There were no extra charges on our bill (they were in one room so we would have noticed).

Archived