$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

Probably, in combination with my damned cold that I have been battling since NYE!

jc

A nasty cold always makes me a very unpleasant person (not saying that you are unpleasant mind you :D) so that may be the case. And to think that I was blaming it on poor K. :o Does she look like she has the mumps? And did you take pictures?

Although i've never used the room service after midnight, i can understand why they would charge the fee. If i was hungry after midnight i would go on my own and find what ever was available for free. Its better to go and get it yourself for several reasons, we can all you the extra excersize, and the 2nd reason would be so it would still be hot when we get it. Nice and fresh!

Although i've never used the room service after midnight, i can understand why they would charge the fee. If i was hungry after midnight i would go on my own and find what ever was available for free. Its better to go and get it yourself for several reasons, we can all you the extra excersize, and the 2nd reason would be so it would still be hot when we get it. Nice and fresh!

You can look all over the ship and finally find the promenade cafe on the voyager class ships which hopefully will not have closed. Then you will look at what is available - you do love warmed over pizza don't you - and probably in disgust go back to your stateroom vowing to order from room service tomorrow night before the midnight cutoff.

For the I don't use it so who cares group, I think they should charge for the lounge chairs near the pool. You would have to reserve the lounge chairs for a small sum of $2/hour. This would then solve the problem of chair hogs which has been reviled on this board so many times. Personally it would not bother me since "I DON"T USE IT".

idea.gif

Just another way to nickel and dime passengers

I have to agree with you........ We don't order RS at that hour but I still don't think it's right for them to charge for it. What is the difference if someone orders RS during the day or late night or early morning? Soon they'll probably want to charge for RS at any hour!! Still wouldn't affect us to much since we've only ordered RS a few times in the morning for coffee just to get us going. It's not the money, it's the principle. It's nickel and diming again!!!

I can't imagine that so many people order from RS during those hours and I think it's just a stupid decision by RCCL. Before anyone flames me...........right or wrong, this is my opinion!!! I love cruising RCCL, however, I'm not a cheerleader and will admit when they do something that I don't think is right!!

I have to agree with you........ We don't order RS at that hour but I still don't think it's right for them to charge for it. What is the difference if someone orders RS during the day or late night or early morning? Soon they'll probably want to charge for RS at any hour!! Still wouldn't affect us to much since we've only ordered RS a few times in the morning for coffee just to get us going. It's not the money, it's the principle. It's nickel and diming again!!!

I can't imagine that so many people order from RS during those hours and I think it's just a stupid decision by RCCL. Before anyone flames me...........right or wrong, this is my opinion!!! I love cruising RCCL, however, I'm not a cheerleader and will admit when they do something that I don't think is right!!

We have a winner! This is exactly the point. It's the principle of it. What's next? Charging for shows? Seriously.. Cruises are supposed to be "all inclusive".

I agree just another way to nickel and dime passengers. With what appears to be low cost offerings on the RS menu, and with what I would imagine as not too many passengers ordering at that time of night, this is a ridicilous charge.

If they are willing to expand food options to 24 hours on all ships, whats the difference with RS.

Its a nice touch for cruise lines to offer included RS on ships and has become an expected benefit.

We have completed 48 cruises, many with RCI. We have been willing to pay what ever RCI wants to charge for the cruise. We were more than happy to pay their fuel surcharge, but are not willing to pay surcharges such as this.

RCI has us once again, going to other lines.

We have a winner! This is exactly the point. It's the principle of it. What's next? Charging for shows? Seriously.. Cruises are supposed to be "all inclusive".

Celebrity and NCL tried the $25 per show charge. At least that was one extra charge that did not last.

I have cruised 4 times in past 7 years and NEVER thought a cruise was "all-inclusive" Not for what I am paying for it!! Take a deep breath and relax!!

My kids always get room service about midnight - a glass of milk and the pastries & cookies plate. We give them a stack of dollar bills at the beginning of the cruise for tips. This would add $28 to our account - not a lot, but another nickel & dime expense for what used to be free.

I really am surprised at how many individual posters here at CC KNOW more about the waste, the operation, and their business plan than the cruiseline. Read enough stuff posted here and you get a really distorted view of reality. When opinions are substitutes for facts you end up with... this thread.

jc

I'm not surprised you're surprised again. Perhaps we can lay it on the Robinson-Patman Act or the scientific method, or the Florida AG having nothing to do about the fuel surcharge. Again, I am not surprised you're surprised....again.

I have no dog in this hunt. If I am awake enough to have the munchies, I will not be in my room. I am the kind of nut who wants to "get out there" and see what is available rather than rely on my limited imagination or a limited menu. "Get out there" is Royal Caribbean's motto, after all.;)

Too bad to see an additional charge with this fee. In the grand scheme of things, this is a really small amount of the overall cruise cost, even if ordered everynight. For me, it just takes away (albeit ever so slightly) of the at times decadent feeling that cruising can have.

I have no dog in this hunt. If I am awake enough to have the munchies, I will not be in my room. I am the kind of nut who wants to "get out there" and see what is available rather than rely on my limited imagination or a limited menu. "Get out there" is Royal Caribbean's motto, after all.;)

Actually, that's not their motto anymore! LOL To bad because I liked that one.......it was nice and lively!!!

But now they're the "Nation of Why Not?" IMHO, it's a very boring TV add compared to the "Get out there" one.

Patty

That's when my teenage daughter would be ordering room service. :rolleyes: But then she won't be with her friends this time, so it might not be happening.

Can I see a show of hands for anyone that has ordered room service after midnight and before 5am?

jc<---- hand is not raised

jc<---- imagines 95% of the food ordered at this time occurs on spring break or summer cruises....:D

It seems as through the cruise lines (even if Royal Carribean starts this) all will follow the lead company if it works out. I understand that costs have increased! :( 1st you down sized the midnight buffet, then you would have either one Chocolate extravaganza, or a speciality buffet, then a lot now only pass some appetizers at 11:00 or so. We have been cruising for 37 years and have seen many changes. :eek: Servings are smaller, good idea you can always get more, the quality is not always as good as years ago, but it is still good. I am all for not wasted food, but the old addedge, if it isn't broke don't fix it. To start adding a cost to someone who orders something from room service later at night to me is totally ridiculous. ;)

We are late night people most of the time and sometimes at night we order some hot tea with some cookies or desert before we go to bed. IT IS NOT THE COST, IT IS THE PRINCIPAL. :mad: I would rather you increase the cost of the cruise by a few dollars, than nickel and dime us all to death! Soda Pop used to be free on ships and now you charge for it. Fortunately, we don't drink that stuff often so when we want it we pay for it. The airlines are doing this to all it passengers, and it is more than discusting :p. You pay for food, drink, baggage and who know some time soon....maybe the seat belts. It needs to stop somewhere, why not with you, dear, ship companies. So.....Charge a few bucks more and be done with it! :rolleyes:

So, I have said my piece as it is,

Take Care,

AZ-DWELLERS

I have read a good portion of what is being said here, and I have to say, it seems that we have basically two sets of ppl here. Those who value their hard earned dollar and wish to get the most for it(not free). And cruiseline advocates, those that no matter what the cruiselines do, its ok with them and they get real nasty when folks dont agree with them. Regarding this rs fee, its ridiculous because all meals are included in your fare. Just that simple. I believe in tipping for service rendered, but I just read that the rs fee is divided up like this: 1.95 as gratuity and the balance going to RCCL. That isnt right! Im a night owl so I dont mind being out and getting my food. What about those cruisers who missed dinner and wake up alil peckish? Why should they have to give the cruiseline any more money for food? I say give the rs waiter the five dollars and be done!! Like it was previously pointed out, the rs menu is not gourmet food, it simple stuff. I do not agree with how the cruiselines sometimes chooses to implement their way of increasing their revenue, although I do understand that its a business and they are in it for the profit.:rolleyes:

RCCL is more expensive initially to begin with. We were on the Carnival Freedom Thanksgiving. Cutbacks were quite evident. This was our 13th cruise (2 Princess, 4 RCCL, 4 Carnival, etc.) Finding places to get a snack healthy or otherwise were very difficult, and this could become industry wide. If not on a RCCL cruise, there would leave no place to get a snack. Some of us are impacted by fees as we have literally saved for the cruise. The idea of cruising is to have an all-inclusive, paid-for vacation with choices where to splurge (but our choices). The ship should not have to be the place where we have to. I am wondering is RCCL is still charging the $15 fee for Steak. Incidentally, RCCL was also one of the only lines still charging a surcharge when others had stopped. This was, incidentally, the first cruise we did not splurge on the specialty restaurant. We were later informed we would have wasted our money. Any way, I live for cruising, and would rather be on an RCCL than any other ship, but with impact fees constantly popping up, that, too, may not happening for me in this economy. Oh well!

Back to some of the eariler posters....I have to aggree. Have been cruising for some time now and cam find a suite for what I used to pay for my SMALL inside 119 sq ft cabin cost. Sure the ships hold extra people but we all use extra services. My last cruise at breakfast one moring, a couple talked of nothing except how they were not going to tip the staff, they would "demand a no charge for poor service" if needed. This was day 3 of a 10 day sailing. Another table mate asked what was so bad, what was not done up to standards. The couple went on to say that they paid for this cruise and they have learned from the 2 before how to get over on the cruise line (RCI). They felt they were charge way too much, so they ate in the dining room demanding quality, later on they went to the buffet and got a full plate just to leave most of it untouch"because it is our right, we paid for this cruise", this was their pattern all day with stops in their cabin to order RS and not even stay there to receive it! Alot more was said before I ended my breakfast and went to the coffee shop where I did not have to listen to anymore. There are alot of people that feel the same way. We read posts from people all the time that don't want ot tip, or complain if there is a wrinkle in there pillow slip. On your next cruise, note all the trays outside doors, in the hallways, that have ALOT of food on them. My friends teen did a cruise journal, taking pics of the trays outside rooms on the 2nd, 5th and 7th nights of the cruise. She went to the bottom deck, the middle and the top passenger decks. All were the same. LOTS of waste. (See got an A on her project)I think the cruise line (others WILL follow, they are like geese and always follow one another) is in their right to begin a charge. I have always tipped room service but just read over this posting and you can get a feel for the many that don't. Just because we are on a ship that looks like the magical "Land of Plenty" does not give any of us the "right" to waste. Maybe, now some will no longer waste as much?

I really am surprised at how many individual posters here at CC KNOW more about the waste, the operation, and their business plan than the cruiseline. Read enough stuff posted here and you get a really distorted view of reality. When opinions are substitutes for facts you end up with... this thread.

jc

Actually, people may not be as off the wall as you sometimes think JC. Remember when RCI got rid of the midnight buffets? Sure we had discussions about it but overwhelmingly people understood the huge waste of food that was incurred there and they were quite supportive of seeing one of the long standing traditions of cruising go by the wayside.

I don't think that people around here are always as unreasonable as they are made out to be. You don't have to be a a rocket engineer to recognize waste when you see it.

Archived