$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

I would love to see them start having the crew to serve the guests in the Windjammer. Not only would it cut down on waste but also cut down on people handling the food and utensils.

Believe me-this scenario is a NIGHTMARE

We were on Legend and they had a Noro outbreak-this was their third cruise and the whole trip was a disaster.

An hour wait in WJ was no uncommon to get in, through the lines, and find a table.

Because Cafe Prommenade and Sorrento's were closed down almost the entire trip the WJ was the only place to eat and it was PACKED

Kyriecat, that is just plain revolting. I'm sorry you had to witness that.

Okay.....thinking more about this it probably happens on all the ships. ugh. :(

Technically, it happens in most restaurants. I worked my way through high school and college as a waitress and cook. What really happens in the background is pretty disgusting if you really think about it. I'm not talking about spitting in food or anything like that - never did it and never saw it happen. I mean cleaning up then going back to serving plates without washing between, helping run dishes then going back to cooking, wiping faces or scratching heads then touching food. I didn't really think anything of it back then. I'd freak out if I worked in those conditions now. Food service people are really not trained at all about transmission of germs. When I cook now, I probably wash my hands at leat 3 or 4 times during the process.

My issue with the cruiseline was the crew was supposedly serving us to keep us safer from germs. However, they did not appear to have any training on how to prevent spreading germs. I'm not a complete germaphobe but when I see people (crew or passengers) doing disgusting things at the buffet, I'd like to see the situation addressed and rectified not blown off.

To show that all the WJ staff isn't haphazard about doing their jobs, I have pointed out to staff members when I see a passengers drop tongs and put them back, wipe their faces then touch serving utinsils, or even sneeze on food and the staff has replaced the tongs/utinsils or taken the food away (I presume to dispose of it).

We were on Legend and they had a Noro outbreak-this was their third cruise and the whole trip was a disaster.

An hour wait in WJ was no uncommon to get in, through the lines, and find a table.

Because Cafe Prommenade and Sorrento's were closed down almost the entire trip the WJ was the only place to eat and it was PACKED[/quote

On a normal cruise the other dining venues would not be closed that so alone would cut down on the number of people in one area. I have experienced the crew serving and it can work.

Technically, it happens in most restaurants. I worked my way through high school and college as a waitress and cook. What really happens in the background is pretty disgusting if you really think about it. I'm not talking about spitting in food or anything like that - never did it and never saw it happen. I mean cleaning up then going back to serving plates without washing between, helping run dishes then going back to cooking, wiping faces or scratching heads then touching food. I didn't really think anything of it back then. I'd freak out if I worked in those conditions now. Food service people are really not trained at all about transmission of germs. When I cook now, I probably wash my hands at leat 3 or 4 times during the process.

As the wife of a Chef (and a server myself), I have to say your blanket statements about the hygiene of kitchen staff are off the mark...

At least in our state, those who manage kitchens must go through a training course and be certified in hygienic practices, germ transmission, cross-contamination, etc.... they have to be re-certified every two years... both my husband and I go through the program every two years... maybe other states don't require such a thing but I know that most major restaurant chains and food service businesses either require or strongly suggest this of their food service staff... This certification is considered a major plus on the resumes of food service professionals...

The program is called ServSafe and you are welcome to check out its' curriculum by doing a Google search on the term...

In addition, no PROFESSIONALLY trained Chef leaves school without intense training on germs transmission and kitchen hygiene...

I can tell you that both DH and I wash our hands (and moisturize) so frequently that our friends and neighbors are quite envious at how clean and soft our hands are... many comment that we have the hands of a person half our age...:)

Because Cafe Prommenade and Sorrento's were closed down almost the entire trip the WJ was the only place to eat and it was PACKED

On a normal cruise the other dining venues would not be closed that so alone would cut down on the number of people in one area. I have experienced the crew serving and it can work.

It shouldn´t have mattered if Cafe Prommenade and Sorrento´s were closed or not, as none of these are on the Legend of the Seas:rolleyes:

I have experienced the crew serving as well - on Celebrity and this was their normal procedure at the buffet and I thought it was a nightmare. I hated it and it was something I sooo disliked about X. Going to a buffet I want to serve myself and not discuss with the servers a bit from this and a bit more from that and none from that.....uuuugh .... time to skip the whole buffet on X.

It shouldn´t have mattered if Cafe Prommenade and Sorrento´s were closed or not, as none of these are on the Legend of the Seas:rolleyes:

I have experienced the crew serving as well - on Celebrity and this was their normal procedure at the buffet and I thought it was a nightmare. I hated it and it was something I sooo disliked about X. Going to a buffet I want to serve myself and not discuss with the servers a bit from this and a bit more from that and none from that.....uuuugh .... time to skip the whole buffet on X.

sorry it was LIBERTY, gotta stop those late night tequila shots...

This will not cause me any undo financial hardship if I ever feel like late room service.

Aubie

Me neither, but I am really getting annoyed at this trend of cutting back on services and increasing the nickel-and-diming! :mad: Cruising, even on a mass-market line like RCCL, used to feel kind of luxurious and pampering, but it's really losing that feel for me lately.

As the wife of a Chef (and a server myself), I have to say your blanket statements about the hygiene of kitchen staff are off the mark...

At least in our state, those who manage kitchens must go through a training course and be certified in hygienic practices, germ transmission, cross-contamination, etc.... they have to be re-certified every two years... both my husband and I go through the program every two years... maybe other states don't require such a thing but I know that most major restaurant chains and food service businesses either require or strongly suggest this of their food service staff... This certification is considered a major plus on the resumes of food service professionals...

The program is called ServSafe and you are welcome to check out its' curriculum by doing a Google search on the term...

In addition, no PROFESSIONALLY trained Chef leaves school without intense training on germs transmission and kitchen hygiene...

I can tell you that both DH and I wash our hands (and moisturize) so frequently that our friends and neighbors are quite envious at how clean and soft our hands are... many comment that we have the hands of a person half our age...:)

It's been 13 years since I got out of college and left the food service industry so maybe my statements were over-generalized and things have changed since then. I NEVER had any hygiene training and don't believe there were any requirements then to do so. The only thing I remember being told regarding hand washing was you had to do it after using the restroom. I worked as a "cook" and a waitress in 4 different chain-type restaurants. Back then when things were slow in the kitchen, the cooks were expected to help wash dishes, clean the kitchen floors, set up food for the the next shift, etc. Waitresses were expected to help sweep the floors, clean the serving stations, roll silverware in napkins, etc. Maybe those miscellaneous jobs have their own workers now and serving/cooking staff don't perform them. I have never worked as a chef, in a restaurant with professional chefs, or as a restaurant manager. Some of my nephew's friends work part-time in restaurants now. I'll have to see what kind of hygiene training they have taken. Myabe I don't want to know.

It's been 13 years since I got out of college and left the food service industry so maybe my statements were over-generalized and things have changed since then. I NEVER had any hygiene training and don't believe there were any requirements then to do so. The only thing I remember being told regarding hand washing was you had to do it after using the restroom. I worked as a "cook" and a waitress in 4 different chain-type restaurants. Back then when things were slow in the kitchen, the cooks were expected to help wash dishes, clean the kitchen floors, set up food for the the next shift, etc. Waitresses were expected to help sweep the floors, clean the serving stations, roll silverware in napkins, etc. Maybe those miscellaneous jobs have their own workers now and serving/cooking staff don't perform them. I have never worked as a chef, in a restaurant with professional chefs, or as a restaurant manager. Some of my nephew's friends work part-time in restaurants now. I'll have to see what kind of hygiene training they have taken. Myabe I don't want to know.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I pray before every meal I eat out, not because I am overly religious:p Underpaid people handling my food or child is not always a comforting feeling for me.

Just because someone is certified in safety doesnt mean that they will follow the rules. I work in a restraunt and I see alot of things, just last week I saw an expediter (sp) take a cucumber that he had already taken a bite out of and dip it into the ranch dressing used for salads. I also saw two servers who were dipping out tarter sauce in plastic individual containers spill some down the side and they licked it off. I did discuss it with all of them and did get rid of the offending items. I try not to think about such things though when I eat out.

Underpaid people handling my food or child is not always a comforting feeling for me.

Underpaid??? LOL...

Restaurant folk CAN do quite well... a fellow server friend of mine left his chemical engineering job (for which he received his degree) because he was making better money waiting tables... He's driving a BMW (paid in full) and travels frequently...

I'm always amused by those who think people who work in restaurants make little money or are somehow beneath them because we choose a lifestyle of service... Most of the people we know in this business have very little debt, make a very nice living... My 9-5 white collar friends???? not so well...

Just because someone is certified in safety doesnt mean that they will follow the rules. I work in a restraunt and I see alot of things, just last week I saw an expediter (sp) take a cucumber that he had already taken a bite out of and dip it into the ranch dressing used for salads. I also saw two servers who were dipping out tarter sauce in plastic individual containers spill some down the side and they licked it off. I did discuss it with all of them and did get rid of the offending items. I try not to think about such things though when I eat out.

You are right.... but in my experience... those who behave as you described are usually young and inexperienced... they certainly aren't professionals... having done the training numerous times makes you quite aware... we're careful of where we eat out since we come into contact with Board of Health Inspectors, we get the scoop on which establishments aren't passing inspections...

It's very similar to the hygenic standards that we hold surgeons to... It's elitist, but, you rarely hear of someone questioning a surgeon about THEIR hand-washing or sanitary practices do you??? No, the stereotype is that food service folk are somehow a lower breed (underpaid?) and therefore, of course they don't practice proper sanitation, right???? As if sanitation is somehow related to how much you make??? PLEASE!!!!:rolleyes:

I'm not saying that anyone here believes that (or would admit to it) but that's the stereotype... It's a shame, really, because there are many in this field who enjoy their jobs and approach it with just as much, if not more, professionalism that a white collar desk jockey...

Just because someone makes their living serving you doesn't mean they don't take their job seriously or that they don't follow the prescribed precautions...

I'm more afraid of the lack of hygiene exhibited by fellow passengers than I am of the crew... look at the stories you've seen here... I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed a fellow passenger skip the hand-washing after using the restroom...

I rest my case...

Just sticking up for the poor, "underpaid" service folk...:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Not a problem for us... We are usually still out and about and just stop in somewhere and grab a quick bite before we head to bed.

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

Ahhhh I love the resurrection of 8-month-old posts... :)

Can we call this one a "moldy oldey"?

Or say: "It's so old, it has whiskers"?

Or: "This is SOOOOOooooo last year."?

How about: "Waste not fresh tears over old griefs. " ~Euripides, Alexander

:):):p

Since when. RC is still saying $3.95 and that is in their discussion of the Oasis which isn't even at sea yet. When and where did you experience the $4.95?

They probably should have used a wink instead of the smiley, but the $4.95 comment was made sarcastically......:rolleyes:

Archived