Cheesy Shirt Sale-Dumped on Table like Costco-Bugged me

bdklein

My wife and I took our first RCCL cruise last month; Navigator Dec 20th. We overall liked it, and would go back to RCCL. But one thing really bugged me, and I wonder if anyone else is bothered by it was well. It appears to me that RCCL tries to present a classy image with things such as the Solarium and the Promenade. But putting up tables with tshirts strewn all over the place on sale really cheapened the cruise for me-like a Flea Market or Costco. Again overall the trip was great, but just curious if anyone else is turned off by this practice.

No, not for us. I will assume the table was probably swarmed by "bargain" hunters who tossed the shirts around. You will encounter lots of "cheesy" things on all the cruise lines such as teeth whitening, acupuncture, bingo, belly flop, horse racing, etc. Something for everyone. I personally don't care for the photographers constantly bugging us but that goes with the cruise. What's annoying to one is welcomed by others.

My wife and I took our first RCCL cruise last month; Navigator Dec 20th. We overall liked it, and would go back to RCCL. But one thing really bugged me, and I wonder if anyone else is bothered by it was well. It appears to me that RCCL tries to present a classy image with things such as the Solarium and the Promenade. But putting up tables with tshirts strewn all over the place on sale really cheapened the cruise for me-like a Flea Market or Costco. Again overall the trip was great, but just curious if anyone else is turned off by this practice.

The other cruise lines do it also. It doesn't affect my cruise experience at all. I never felt Royal tried to pass themselves off as a "Premium" cruise experience. They're a mass market cruise line trying to bring in revenue any way possible to survive in difficult economic times. Simple as that.

I work part time in retail and can attest to the fact that some people are absolute slobs. They come in, move everything out of order and make no attempt whatsoever to straighten up anything. I always wonder what their houses look like :rolleyes:

What's really appalling is dressing rooms, for some reason many people think it's just fine to leave those a mess and not re-hang anything. I don't think I could work in a clothing store, I'd want to smack them upside the head with the coat hangers! I shop in a department store where I know the clerks, they have told me I'm the rare one who re-hangs and brings the clothes I don't want back out to them, they do appreciate it.

Bottom line is....many cruise lines do this and many people come along, unfold every T-shirt on the table and then just walk away from their mess. That the employees can't keep it neat, don't blame them.

BTW, I've never bought one of those T-shirts and cannot for the life of me understand why people want to wear those gawd-awful looking things. But, you read all the time where people wait for the "bargains" the last couple of days on a cruise ship. If only they knew the cruise line hauls out the "bargains" week after week, the stuff is probably marked up about 500%.

They also set up tables outside the Windjammer or out on the pool deck. I can't understand why people have such a difficult time realizing that the cruise lines are in business to turn a profit. If there's no profit there's no cruise line. Maybe since we are self employed it's easier for us to comprehend. Common sense tells you they are going to set up their tables in high trafficked area such as the promenade or outside the Windjammer. And yes, it's the passengers who make all the mess.

It bugs me that the passengers act like vultures when these tables come out....not that RCCL (and other cruise lines) do this.

Coming out of the dining room one morning there was a swarm of people. I thought they were giving away free cruises by the way the people were acting. It was just the $10 watch sale. :rolleyes:

I avoid those things like the plague. No I don't want a shirt that says Freedom of the Seas 2006 when I am sailing on it in 2007. ;)

More important things to be concerned about...

(What's for dinner?~What is on in the theater tonight?~Rain tomorrow?)

When you walk down the Promenade next time,

think of Dionne Warwick's GREAT song, and, hum to yourself...

"...Just Walk On By.." :rolleyes:

It does not bother me one bit,

let me ask you one simple question. what the hell is wrong with Costco? Did you know that they have one of the highest employee satisfaction rates around. They treat there employees very well, they have very low prices. And you think they are cheap. I guess some people think they are to good to shop at Costco and no nothing more that to take cheap shots. (not saying you do but)

let me ask you one simple question. what the hell is wrong with Costco? Did you know that they have one of the highest employee satisfaction rates around. They treat there employees very well, they have very low prices. And you think they are cheap. I guess some people think they are to good to shop at Costco and no nothing more that to take cheap shots. (not saying you do but)

Agree on Costco -- it's not a store full of cheap crap at all.

A store like Kohl's might seem more appropriate for comparison, with its 60-70-80% clearance racks taking up half the store and clothes strewn everywhere like a bomb exploded (ok, not a bomb, but shoppers who don't care about throwing clothes everywhere and no staff to pick up after them).

This was not my original point of my post, but here goes. And I am a Costco member.

What's wrong with Costco?

1. People buying such large amounts of food-contributing to obesity in America.

2. Being run over by people in a rush to get a free sample of a half-frozen egg roll is not my idea of fun.

3. Limited credit cards.

4. And the prices are not as great as people think they are.

If you want to talk about shopping where it looks like a tornado just went through I have one word for you....ROSS. As it is, I don't like to shop, so I can't even go in these stores any more when I do need to shop for something.

Some people are vultures when it comes to sales like that. Those on a cruise ship are just a cross section of the general population. You will see the same people that would do this during a department store sale and people who could care less. Don't blame RCI for the rudeness of some people. We witnessed this on our Mariner cruise and just walked by and laughed.

Let's face it, if the passengers didn't buy the stuff, the cruiseline wouldn't put it out. Those same customers are far more responsible for the mess on the tables so perhaps, if this bothers you so much, you should sail on a more upscale line that doesn't attract bargain hunters.;)

With all the things that there are to worry about in this life, a messy table of so-called "bargain" T shirts or other merchandise hardly seems worth your concern. I realize that small things, like a pebble in your shoe, can be annoying but in the case of these bargain tables, I think you should just do your best to avoid them as much as possible.

I work part time in retail and can attest to the fact that some people are absolute slobs. They come in, move everything out of order and make no attempt whatsoever to straighten up anything. I always wonder what their houses look like :rolleyes:

What's really appalling is dressing rooms, for some reason many people think it's just fine to leave those a mess and not re-hang anything. I don't think I could work in a clothing store, I'd want to smack them upside the head with the coat hangers! I shop in a department store where I know the clerks, they have told me I'm the rare one who re-hangs and brings the clothes I don't want back out to them, they do appreciate it.

Bottom line is....many cruise lines do this and many people come along, unfold every T-shirt on the table and then just walk away from their mess. That the employees can't keep it neat, don't blame them.

BTW, I've never bought one of those T-shirts and cannot for the life of me understand why people want to wear those gawd-awful looking things. But, you read all the time where people wait for the "bargains" the last couple of days on a cruise ship. If only they knew the cruise line hauls out the "bargains" week after week, the stuff is probably marked up about 500%.

Their homes are probably immaculate...

Not to sound biased, but I worked in a chain retail store here during college. When I worked in the store in the more well to do part of town, invariably, the store was messier (more product just thrown on the baseboards, flung on the counter, tossed aside). In average income neighborhoods, however, people (as a rule) took the time to either find the appropriate peg for their discards, or would ask one of us to assist in finding the home for the product...

So I base the spotless home theory on the thought that, at home, they have hired help to do the work. If it were up to them, it would be a sty...

What's really appalling is dressing rooms, for some reason many people think it's just fine to leave those a mess and not re-hang anything. I don't think I could work in a clothing store,

The t-shirt sale didn't bother me at all, but I certainly understand this poster's sentiment. I have always gotten along well with the custodial staff where ever I have worked, but some people treat facilities horribly, especially restrooms and I just assume its worse in the Men's rooms. They show no regard for the people who give them a clean place to do their business. Bargain hunting does seem to bring out a certain animal in people though :)

Not a big deal and someone can correct me if I am wrong, which I am sure someone will. The shops are not run by RCCL. The shops are leased out and the employees are directly employed by on shore company not the cruise line.

That being said they set out the sales and the format they take. So getting upset at RCCL really does no good.

We avoid these area's when ever possible we always thought it cheesy. Especially the gold by the inch crap....I can not believe people actually buy that garbage, much less crowd around the table like vultures!!!

I actually made the Gold by the Inch girl laugh last cruise. I kept asking to buy a centimeter of gold... (she was Canadian)

they didn't sell it to me...

then when I asked for 2.54 cm they just thought I was nuts

Archived