Taxi to Fort Lauderdale airport from ship

DaveOKC

I just read a trip report where she stated the taxi line was a VERY long wait after disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale. Have others experienced this? We have a large group going to the airport on different flights and I need to know what to tell them to do. I had advised them to just take a taxi, but now I am wondering if that was the best advise.

DaveOKC

how large of a group?

we had issues with taxi in FLL after disembarking a Costa ship last December. It really depends on where your ship docks in comparison to other ships in port that day. For us, the taxi's had to go past 2 other ships on the "loop" before they got to ours and were mainly full by the time they got to us until well after 11am!

I would look into getting a van service and have everyone kick in the money to cover it. If you do a google search for south florida van service or south florida limo or florida cruise port shuttle or whatever you should come up with a lot of options.

The last time we sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale we had no problem getting a taxi, this was 3 years ago however. We also were one of the first people to disembark being platinum. Anyone get off real early and have a problem with the taxi situation?

I always use a taxi @ Port Everglades and they have been plentiful.

I didnt read the report the OP mentioned, but often people exaggerate times. I was in line with someone and they made a remark "we have been in this line 30 mins" when in fact it was less than 5.

Although at times(TG,XMAS,NYE) PE can have a huge number of ship arriving and departing, so there could be a delay.

I just read a trip report where she stated the taxi line was a VERY long wait after disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale. Have others experienced this? We have a large group going to the airport on different flights and I need to know what to tell them to do. I had advised them to just take a taxi, but now I am wondering if that was the best advise.

DaveOKC

It took about six minutes to get a cab when I debarked from the Splendor in November...

The cab ride was about twelve minutes... fifteen bucks...

It took about six minutes to get a cab when I debarked from the Splendor in November...

The cab ride was about twelve minutes... fifteen bucks...

And when I was there it took well over an hour? Depends on how early you get off and how many ships are in port that day. There were 3 other ships there - QM2, Some RCI ship and MSC.

We're going on the Splendor on Saturday and don't have transfers booked. Now I'm kind of panicking because I've read two reviews where people waited a long time for a taxi. We will be doing self-disembarkation as we have an 11:15 plane to catch.

I called Carnival to try and book post-transfers but they said it's within 7 days of cruising and I can't (I also read this on the website later). She did say I might be able to do it when I get onboard. Anyone who can verify this? She said the purser's desk would do it.

If not, we will try to be one of the first off the ship that morning, I suppose. What time should we be down there to do that?

We're going on the Splendor on Saturday and don't have transfers booked. Now I'm kind of panicking because I've read two reviews where people waited a long time for a taxi. We will be doing self-disembarkation as we have an 11:15 plane to catch.

I called Carnival to try and book post-transfers but they said it's within 7 days of cruising and I can't (I also read this on the website later). She did say I might be able to do it when I get onboard. Anyone who can verify this? She said the purser's desk would do it.

If not, we will try to be one of the first off the ship that morning, I suppose. What time should we be down there to do that?

I've purchased transfers on board (POM to FLL). Just go to the purser's desk or shore ex desk and they'll get you settled.

DaveOKC

We arrived back in port on Dec 27th. The lines were long and everything was extremely disorganized. The porters were a big part of the problem. They would drop off in front of the people already waiting in line. Of course the people then jumped ahead of us waiting in the line. The cab driver then complained that he did not want a short trip only a longer trip, we were going to La Quainta (sp) Airport.

DH saids never again, we will park at the port next cruise.

We were planning on just taking a taxi but I've also read about taxi service taking forever and other times 5 min. So its also been on my mind on how we are going to get from FLL port to FLL airport when we cruise in October. Does anyone know how much Carnival Charges for their shuttle service and what time they leave?

No need to panic!!!

We were on the Splendor in early Dec and we have a 1130 flight from FLL. We went to level 3 to get off the ship at/around 0700. We were off the ship by 0800 and off to the airport. Literally, we were at the airport at 0830 and USAir put us on an earlier flight that left at 8:50.

So, as you can tell, you will have plenty of time to get to the airport. The taxis were ready to go and no problem.

The only thing that I would check would be when it pulls into FLL port. Our ship arrived around 0530 as I was up and getting some coffee around that time. But if they happen to be late in the port, then all bets are off

DaveOKC

We've booked a car service from POM to FLL on Feb. 1st after the cruise. It costs $95 with the tip for four people. The company is Florida Sunshine Shuttle (floridasunshineshuttle.com). You tell them what time to pick you up and they'll call that morning to check in. Hope this helps. This means of transportation may not be as inexpensive but it should cause less headaches and anxiety.

If at all possible hire a porter-totally worth it [1 dollar per luggage piece]-not only do they help you -pass you through immigration faster but actively put you in a cab,even faster... yesterday we zoomed past and arrived at the airport too early.

We debarked Miracle in FLL on 12/31. Got off the ship at 9:15, and were at the airport at 9:30 - this is with getting luggage, going thru customs, etc. We were 2 families of 7 total, so we had 2 cabs. Had NO problem getting cabs - cost us $12 (including tip). No problems at all - but there were only 3 ships in port that day. We heard that the Saturday port schedule had 9 ships coming in, and going out- that would probably clog things up a bit.

DaveOKC

Just tell each party to get a porter for their bags after they get off the ship. The porter will get you to the front of the taxi line and off you go.

At least that has always been my experience. FLL is my favorite port to cruise from and Port Canaveral second.

Good luck and have a great cruise.:)

Bill

Archived