Use Carnival Past Guest # to get Princess Past Guest Rates

Ken076

The parent company's "Vacation Interchange Program" is advertised to allow Past Guests of any member line (Carnival) to get Past Guest Rates on any other member line (Princess). I tried this with Princess today and the Rep and Supervisor claimed no knowledge of such program. Has anyone RECENTLY had success with this??? thanks, Ken

The parent company's "Vacation Interchange Program" is advertised to allow Past Guests of any member line (Carnival) to get Past Guest Rates on any other member line (Princess). I tried this with Princess today and the Rep and Supervisor claimed no knowledge of such program. Has anyone RECENTLY had success with this??? thanks, Ken

I know that several months ago, I inquired of a HAL cruise, and they gave me there Mariner (?) rate because of my Princess CC membership

Yes, you can get past passenger rates, but not past passenger loyalty credits.

My Carnival past passenger status got me past passenger rate on HAL, but past Princess/Carnival cruises got me nothing on Cunard. Keep in mind availablity of these rates are limited, may not be available on all cruises or for all categories. Incidentally, my Captain's Circle number and Cunare World Club numbers are the same. EM

I tried getting Carnival to provide a past passsenger rate from my Princess # without any response so I just booked Princess again.

I am sure Carnival doesn't care since they still earned the cash as the parent company. I wish there was something I could have booked on RCCL or Celebrity to pay them back for their non-response.

Tell them to look on the back cover of their Princess brochure....it has it all there in print for them to read...I can't believe staffers would be so ignorant of such policy....Give them another shout and tell them

Tell them to look on the back cover of their Princess brochure....it has it all there in print for them to read...I can't believe staffers would be so ignorant of such policy....Give them another shout and tell them

Amazing isn't it, how many functioning incompetents there are.

I tried unsuccessfully several times today. I have quotes from the Princess & Carnival brochures and will do a 1-800-PRINCESS "blitz" Thursday. This may be complicated by Carnival Manager's claim that this was tabled in December and the member lines were "negotiating" a different program. Will post progress!!! thanks, Ken

^ That's because Cunard is technically a subsidiary of Princess Cruises- it is managed and operated by them but keeps its own identity.

I think that changed for the new year and Cunard are now separate again with Cunard headquarted, managed and operated back in Southampton.

When I asked about this, my TA informed me that past passenger rates are not available for all sailings and that sometimes past passenger rates are set up to apply for any line under the Carnival brand and at other times the promotion may be limited to actual past cruisers of the specific line. She said it varies and she has to check for each sailing. She also said it could vary for the same ship based on the sail date. Now, she may not know what she is talking about, but I will say she has been a TA for quite some time and deals with the cruise lines M-F as her job.

You may see a discount when you compare prices on the various lines' websites when you are logged in as a past guest compared to when you aren't logged in, but even those logged in prices are very often higher than what most TA's can get.

• 1 month later...

I have cruised eight times with Carnival. We were hoping to get get past guest rates for the 14 day Princess Hawaii cruise for our 40th Anniversary next January. It will be our first Princess cruise. I hope to book it next week. Any updated information by someone who knows the current details and rules would be appreciated.

I have cruised eight times with Carnival. We were hoping to get get past guest rates for the 14 day Princess Hawaii cruise for our 40th Anniversary next January. It will be our first Princess cruise. I hope to book it next week. Any updated information by someone who knows the current details and rules would be appreciated.

I recently went thru this, with numerous Princess reps & supervisors. The most consistent story I got was that Princess honors the Carnival Past Guest rate only on certain sailings and not necessarily on ALL cabin categories on those sailings. I was told that you have to call and ask if the Vacation Interchange Program rate applies to the Princess sailing that you're interested in, and if so you should be able to get the current Princess Past Guest Rate (IF Princess is currently offering their own Past Guest Rate for that cruise). You'd have to give Princess the details of your (last) Carnival sailing and/or your Carnival Past Guest number. Most of the 800 number reps I spoke with had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, and the few (2) who did said this occurs extremely infrequently. They also claim they cannot "list" the Princess cruises offering the Vacation Interchange Program rate.

This whole program looks to be over stated and almost non-existent, if not totally non-existent. I finally had to write Princess Corporate a letter (including copies of the Vacation Interchange Program statement buried at the end of their brochures); eventually a supervisor called me and without discussing the details/merits/validity of the VIP program, offered me a decent discount rate on the Cruise I wanted.

Fortunately, once we get that first Princess cruise, we don't have to rely on or use this Vacation Interchange Program any more.

Interestingly, the Carnival people told me that they generally give Princess Past Guests the Carnival Past Guest Rates in most cases. The Carnival reps told me the entire program was on hold while the cruise lines re-negotiate the "terms" amongst themselves.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Ken

I just got off the phone with a Princess rep. and was told that there is no interchange through Carnival, he didn't even ask for a booking number or past guest number, just kind of a flat "no we don't do that " i may have to try again later, some times you can get different answersfrom different people. :rolleyes:

I just got off the phone with a Princess rep. and was told that there is no interchange through Carnival, he didn't even ask for a booking number or past guest number, just kind of a flat "no we don't do that " i may have to try again later, some times you can get different answersfrom different people. :rolleyes:

Find the Vacation Interchange Program (brief) Description, usually on the ouside back cover of Princess brochures, call Princess and ask them to view the back of that brochure, and tell them you're a Carnival guest trying to book a Princess cruise thru this program. Most are surprised (and stymied) when they see this, and will probably be happy to turn you over to a Supervisor. It will be interesting to hear some of their responses. Eventually you'll maybe get to someone who feels that they should take care of you, and are empowered to do so.

ken

...you have to call and ask if the Vacation Interchange Program rate applies to the Princess sailing that you're interested in,

And one time, the eligible cruises were listed on this website:

http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/

However, it looks like the site has been updated and there is no longer any reference to the VIP benefits.

Once again, and unless anyone can tell me any different, this does not seem to apply in the UK. Brochures make no mention of it and when I have been calling for quotes from both UK and US agents they say previous Carnival cruises do not count with Princess.

If anyone does have any luck with this please post here and, as I am in the process of cancelling and re-bokking my cruise to save money, it may come in handy!!

Karen

The Past Passenger rates offered through cruise lines can often be beaten by TA's anyway, including Princess promotions sent to us. I sometimes think that the Past Passenger thing is a bit of a myth excluding some of the recent promotions for Alaskan cruises. I remember someone telling us on our first cruise that, "You HAVE to pay full brochure rate the first time on any cruise line, but after that you can get the cheaper rate." That one comment probably scared me away from looking at other cruise lines when we started cruising since I didn't want to pay an initiation fee to try someone else.

When I've looked around at altenatives to Princess (yes, I really do that! suprise surprise) I have often found comparable rates to what we pay for Princess cruises on Celebrity, RC, and HAL.

Archived