Carnival's New Early Saver Program

the OBC? What's wrong with that? If it's $100, I'm definitely going to be spending $100 on my vacation!! It's kind of like saving for me. I don't think I'm going to be earning much interest on $100 if it stays in my checking account.

Again, its only $100 for a 7 day cruise, if you are booking a 4/5 day cruise the OBC is $50, but yes you still put down $100 to book it or the next cruise certificate costs $100.

People keep saying the OBC is $100 as if its always $100. When you dont explain it varys you get posters like the one who just came back from a Holiday cruise and posting that she read here that ALL Carnival ships have refrigerators and upset with CC.

Is the early saver discount and past passenger rates both applicable?

I would say no, since in all other cases you can only use one code. Since the code for early savers doesnt work I hate to say absolutely not, but I'd say the usual rule for one code per booking is correct.

I wish the code worked so I could see the rates for myself though.

Ditto!! I'll tell you a little later today how much it's saving me.

Also, the only real downside to me is the $50 name change as I'm having a hard time getting some commitments from my son and friends. And the OBC? What's wrong with that? If it's $100, I'm definitely going to be spending $100 on my vacation!! It's kind of like saving for me. I don't think I'm going to be earning much interest on $100 if it stays in my checking account.

Be careful...you may want to clarify on the name change issue. My PVP said that the $50 "administrative" fee was for changing YOUR cruise to another date, and you could NOT substitute other people for the $50.

I think I'll still wait to book. Carnival kept claiming last year bookings were strong, blah blah blah. Hmmm . . . looks like things are getting worse. This is an initial step to stop the bleeding.

I think the deals are going to get even better without having to book in this program. I might be wrong.

If you're right and you book this program, you get the lower rate if it goes down. If you're wrong and you don't book this program, you either pay more or don't go.:p

I couldnt take the wait, so I called. :)

Im booked in a 1A on my 16 DAY Transatlantic cruise at a solo rate of $1298.

Not sure if this is across the board, but the person I spoke with said she didnt have a ESP rate for 1A cabins. For a 4A cabin the regular rate is right at $2000, with ESP $1598,so its a substantial savings, but I dont want to give up my portholes AND pay $300.

If you're right and you book this program, you get the lower rate if it goes down. If you're wrong and you don't book this program, you either pay more or don't go.:p

I'm stuck in a program with a nonrefundable deposit and I'm limited to OBC. It's not a risk free choice or everyone would be jumping on it without question.

The price drop only includes Carnival listed fares. I've never paid the Carnival listed fare - there are always cheaper options.

I took it! We saved $180 per person off current price - and went from an inside gty to a confirmed room on deck 9. If the price goes lower then I'll get OBC....if not I still got a great rate that I'm happy with!

I have no plans on changing the date of my cruise. I'll have insurance if something life-altering comes up & I have to cancel. My cabin mates are my children - they're not going to cancel on me ;) Seems like a win/win for me too.

I'm stuck in a program with a nonrefundable deposit and I'm limited to OBC. It's not a risk free choice or everyone would be jumping on it without question.

Plus some are saying you can't do a name change if someone in your cabin has to cancel.......

So if your cabin mate cancels then you have to cancel......nobody gets their deposit back.............

Unless of course you want to stay on the cruise solo and pay for both occupants......

The price drop only includes Carnival listed fares. I've never paid the Carnival listed fare - there are always cheaper options.

Where are you finding prices lower than military rate??

Be careful...you may want to clarify on the name change issue. My PVP said that the $50 "administrative" fee was for changing YOUR cruise to another date, and you could NOT substitute other people for the $50.

Yes, I'll need to clarify. So did you understand PVP to say that once you put a name on there, it's got to stay that name? With the older way, you could keep your cabin as long as you keep one original person in the cabin.

This is where I'm having problems is I can't get son's friends' names and get everyone committed.

The price drop includes all military, interline, past guest, senior, resident, one day sales, etc. If you qualify for the promotions and the price drops outside penalty they will adjust your rate and your gross is reduced. If the price drops inside penalty, they will adjust the rate and refund the difference as an OBC. That OBC you're "limited" is more than what you will get if you book inside penalty and the price drops. You won't get "jack."

The price drop includes all military, interline, past guest, senior, resident, one day sales, etc. If you qualify for the promotions and the price drops outside penalty they will adjust your rate and your gross is reduced. If the price drops inside penalty, they will adjust the rate and refund the difference as an OBC. That OBC you're "limited" is more than what you will get if you book inside penalty and the price drops. You won't get "jack."

Again, none of that changes the fact that you are putting up a nonrefundable deposit for the program. This is not a risk free program in which the passenger cannot lose. If it was, there would be nothing to talk about - just book a cruise and celebrate.

It is also possible you could get a much better deal on a cruise without this program by waiting and remaining flexible as to lines, ships, and itinerary. There is a reason Carnival is rolling this out and it's not because the industry is looking good.

Again, none of that changes the fact that you are putting up a nonrefundable deposit for the program. This is not a risk free program in which the passenger cannot lose. If it was, there would be nothing to talk about - just book a cruise and celebrate.

It is also possible you could get a much better deal on a cruise without this program by waiting and remaining flexible as to lines, ships, and itinerary. There is a reason Carnival is rolling this out and it's not because the industry is looking good.

yes, you're going to have to shop another line to get the cruise line to pay you to go. Fortunately for Carnival and me (I am stock holder) they are better positioned than any other cruise line.

The non-refundable deposit is not an issue with me as I don't put down a deposit for a cruise I am not going to take. Worst case scenario, if I can't go and cancel outside penalty Carnival will give me a future cruise credit minus the $50 service fee.

UBS: Carnival better positioned in downturn

8/1/2009

Yield declines remain well above ‘breaking points’ for Carnival Corp. and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., UBS Investment Research concludes in an analysis of the debt and liquidity positions of the two operators, and their capital commitments for new ships.

Carnival would need to see 40% net yield declines in 2009 to be break-even in cash from operations, significantly greater than any decline Royal Caribbean can withstand, making Carnival better positioned in a sustained economic downturn, according to UBS analyst Robin Farley.

UBS currently projects net yield declines of roughly 15% for Carnival (down 10% constant currency with 5 percentage points of additional negative impact from foreign currency), and down 12.5% for Royal Caribbean (down 10% constant currency with 2.5 percentage points of additional impact from foreign currency).

Farley said Carnival’s same-currency yields would have to drop 35% to 40% year-over-year to break even in terms of cash from operations. Given Royal’s lower profitability, same-currency net yields would have to decline roughly 23% year over year for the No. 2 operator to break even in terms of cash from operations.

‘What this all means is that CCL is much better positioned operationally to withstand a sustained downturn in consumer spending and yield deterioration and is better positioned fundamentally to withstand credit issues. The proverbial "last man standing" is CCL,’ Farley said.

The analyst also noted that because Carnival has not hedged its fuel exposure, the full benefit of recent oil price declines will fall straight to its bottom line, while Royal hedges approximately 40% to 60% of its fuel exposure, reducing the impact of lower fuel costs on 2009 earnings per share.

UBS rates CCL ‘buy’ with a $30 price target, and RCL ‘neutral’ with a $13 target. CCL and RCL opened today at $24.03 and $13.16, respectively.

yes, you're going to have to shop another line to get the cruise line to pay you to go. Fortunately for Carnival and me (I am stock holder) they are better positioned than any other cruise line.

The non-refundable deposit is not an issue with me as I don't put down a deposit for a cruise I am not going to take. Worst case scenario, if I can't go and cancel outside penalty Carnival will give me a future cruise credit minus the $50 service fee.

UBS: Carnival better positioned in downturn

8/1/2009

Yield declines remain well above ‘breaking points’ for Carnival Corp. and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., UBS Investment Research concludes in an analysis of the debt and liquidity positions of the two operators, and their capital commitments for new ships.

Carnival would need to see 40% net yield declines in 2009 to be break-even in cash from operations, significantly greater than any decline Royal Caribbean can withstand, making Carnival better positioned in a sustained economic downturn, according to UBS analyst Robin Farley.

UBS currently projects net yield declines of roughly 15% for Carnival (down 10% constant currency with 5 percentage points of additional negative impact from foreign currency), and down 12.5% for Royal Caribbean (down 10% constant currency with 2.5 percentage points of additional impact from foreign currency).

Farley said Carnival’s same-currency yields would have to drop 35% to 40% year-over-year to break even in terms of cash from operations. Given Royal’s lower profitability, same-currency net yields would have to decline roughly 23% year over year for the No. 2 operator to break even in terms of cash from operations.

‘What this all means is that CCL is much better positioned operationally to withstand a sustained downturn in consumer spending and yield deterioration and is better positioned fundamentally to withstand credit issues. The proverbial "last man standing" is CCL,’ Farley said.

The analyst also noted that because Carnival has not hedged its fuel exposure, the full benefit of recent oil price declines will fall straight to its bottom line, while Royal hedges approximately 40% to 60% of its fuel exposure, reducing the impact of lower fuel costs on 2009 earnings per share.

UBS rates CCL ‘buy’ with a $30 price target, and RCL ‘neutral’ with a $13 target. CCL and RCL opened today at $24.03 and $13.16, respectively.

LOL. The rating agencies gave the toxic CDOs a AAA rating. That worked out well - the analysts are always right :rolleyes:. I do know this, Carnival is suddenly accepting up to 25% less fare for a cruise.

There are plenty of studies that show people will act suboptimally in order to avoid a loss. That is what Carnival is banking on with the program. That despite whatever economic conditions exist or individual circumstances, a person will refuse to lose that sunk cost.

I'm sorry, but the worst case scenario is you are out the deposit because of an inability to go on a cruise.

LOL. The rating agencies gave the toxic CDOs a AAA rating. That worked out well - the analysts are always right :rolleyes:. I do know this, Carnival is suddenly accepting up to 25% less fare for a cruise.

There are plenty of studies that show people will act suboptimally in order to avoid a loss. That is what Carnival is banking on with the program. That despite whatever economic conditions exist or individual circumstances, a person will refuse to lose that sunk cost.

I'm sorry, but the worst case scenario is you are out the deposit because of an inability to go on a cruise.

In my case I can save $60 person right now and if I have to change my cruise date during the penalty phase, I lose $50. Remember I'm saving $60 now. I will be cruising again and use the $150 cruise credit. It's a no-brainer for me.

LOL - comparing CDOs to cruise operators is like comparing an apple and a Zebra.

What part of "future cruise credit" don't you understand? If I have up to 1 year to use it from the cancellation date, how do you consider that losing my deposit?:confused:

Additionally, like I said earlier I don't put down a deposit unless I am going. I have cruised 12 times and have yet had to cancel or change my date.

If waiting for the last minute suits you better, than great, go for it. I don't plan my vacation by the seat of my pants so this promotion works great for me because I am getting a huge discount up front.

I am sorry but I don't obessively shop around nickle and diming every TA or cruise operator to see who can give me the best price. If I think it is a great deal, then I book it. No pun intended, but if nickle and diming floats your boat, then knock yourself out.

What part of "future cruise credit" don't you understand? If I have up to 1 year to use it from the cancellation date, how do you consider that losing my deposit?:confused:

I think the point you missed was that some folks maybe could not use the future cruise credit within a year.

I had a $100 OBC to use within a year on Princess and lost it because I couldnt find a cruise I wanted that was better than some others. poof!!!

I also have a next cruise credit on Princess to use by next Jan 2010 but I can cancel it and get my $100 back. Probably no chance of using it either now that they pulled out of Galveston, other choices are more appealing.

Just because YOU would for sure use the next cruise credit within a year, doesnt mean its not worth warning others who might not be able to use it. No reason to reply in the manner you did. Just my opinion though.

Just because YOU would for sure use the next cruise credit within a year, doesnt mean its not worth warning others who might not be able to use it. No reason to reply in the manner you did. Just my opinion though.

Likewise, just because it doesn't work for the other posters doesn't mean that they should go around saying this is "smoke and mirror" or that this isn't a deal.

As far as the manner in which I replied, I am not sure what was wrong with it, but I appologize if I offended anyone.:)

LOL - comparing CDOs to cruise operators is like comparing an apple and a Zebra.

What if during that one year you find even a better deal then this one.........nobody knows what the future has in store for us.........

So to me it is Smoke and Mirror....Additionally, like I said earlier I don't put down a deposit unless I am going. I have cruised 12 times and have yet had to cancel or change my date.

If waiting for the last minute suits you better, than great, go for it. I don't plan my vacation by the seat of my pants so this promotion works great for me because I am getting a huge discount up front.

I am sorry but I don't obessively shop around nickle and diming every TA or cruise operator to see who can give me the best price. If I think it is a great deal, then I book it. No pun intended, but if nickle and diming floats your boat, then knock yourself out.

Finding the best deal is hardly nickle and diming your TA..........actually my TA is pretty good about changing my mind lol!

If this new deal works for you then fine....go for it. But just know that some of us find great deals totally risk free. And certainly not by the seat of our pants.

What part of "inability to go on a cruise" do you not understand?

You claimed a worst case scenario and I explained it was not. Worst case scenario is losing the deposit.

I just moved my Thanksgiving 2009 booking to Early Saver... I can see where it won't work for everyone but if you can take advantage of it - I was booked at $799pp (cat 7A) and this dropped it to $629pp! Amazing for an 8 day cruise over the holidays.

Archived