Getting Worried - Infinity

Beachgator

We've been reading a number of reviews since the Infinity has gotten out of dry dock and the bias about the cruises seem to be a lot more negative than you'd expect. We along with another couple have booked a May 2009 trip to Alaska on the Infinity and since it's out first trip on the ship and to Alaska, we were hoping/expecting it to be comparable to our past great cruises on other Celebrity ships. Since it's getting close to making the final payment, some of my traveling companions are having second thoughts. Any feedback would be welcome.

The Celebrity Infinity is my favorite ship. I just was on her in Alaska in September 2008 and September 2007 and she was in great shape.

Service was great, rooms were spotless.

There will always be people who complain about everything and anything.

The Celebrity Infinity is my favorite ship. I just was on her in Alaska in September 2008 and September 2007 and she was in great shape.

Service was great, rooms were spotless.

There will always be people who complain about everything and anything.

I kindly disagree. People are entitled to their opinions, and if one's opinion happens to not be the same as yours or someone elses, it does not mean they are whiners and complainers and should be caterogized as such just because their opinion isn't the same as yours. I just hate when people do that to others. It's wrong.

I have not been on the Infinity, just remember only a small percentage of passengers belong to cruise critic. If I cancelled cruises for every bad review I would have missed out on some great ships and wonderful cruises.

You have been on several cruises, go back and read some reviews, I bet you find negative reviews of ships that you loved. Everyones expectations are different.

Steve

I have not been on the Infinity, just remember only a small percentage of passengers belong to cruise critic. If I cancelled cruises for every bad review I would have missed out on some great ships and wonderful cruises.

You have been on several cruises, go back and read some reviews, I bet you find negative reviews of ships that you loved. Everyones expectations are different.

Steve

Very true and each is entitled to their own opinions and should not be critisized and called a whiner and complainer if they have different opinions than others. In my opinion, the Infinity is one of Celebrities finest ships and I have enjoyed every moment on her from the beauty of the ship, to the decor, to the service to the food. However, if another person disagrees, I do not consider them a whiner and complainer, it's just their opinion.

Have sailed twice on the Infinity to Alaska, and both times have had fantastic cruises on her!

Beautiful ship, great service all around -- just fantastic.

Do make a night of the specialty restaurant onboard as well - it's definitely well worth it.

You'll have a great time I'm sure. :)

Dave

We are also taking the Infinity to Alaska in May and this will be our 7th cruise. Before each cruise we have booked I have always read the reviews with a grain of salt otherwise I too would have passed on some wonderful cruises.

Remember there are about 2000 people on the cruise and a very small percentage are members of these messsage boards and even less complete a review. Some complain (or as a previous poster suggested "provide an opinion" on..... missed ports, some have different expectations of the food, some look for stains on carpets. Everyone has the right to their opinions but everyone also has different expectations.

What I see is that we are going on a beautiful ship to a beautiful part of the world. How lucky is that!

I kindly disagree. People are entitled to their opinions, and if one's opinion happens to not be the same as yours or someone elses, it does not mean they are whiners and complainers and should be caterogized as such just because their opinion isn't the same as yours. I just hate when people do that to others. It's wrong.

You are correct. People have their opinions and may not be the same as mine or any one elses.

Please note, I have never stated that people are whiners and complainers. I did imply that there are some people.. not all .. who complain just to complain. -- which is my opinion which may not be the same as yours.

Anyway.. IMHO, the Infinity is a beautiful ship and I have confidence that you will agree.

We just finished a 2 week cruise on the Infinity. We also were on the Solstice last month and I thought I would share my opinion on how they compare.

Dining:

We found the main dining rooms comparable although I thought the Infinity was more romantic with the large window looking out to the sea.

The buffet food was much better on the Solstice. We also likes the open dinner buffet on the Solstice compared with the reservation Bistro on the Infinity.

Ship:

I especially like the T pool on the Infinity which the Solstice does not have. The Solstice public areas are more elegant. The Infinity is starting to show aging with exposure to years of sea salt and passengers.

Entertainment:

This is one area that the Infinity does not come even close in my observation. The main shows at night on the Solstice were the best I have seen at sea. The Infinity shows were some of the worst I have endured. The smaller lounges also had outstanding performers on the Solstice whereas the Infinity with the exception of the show band had average to poor entertainment.

The service on both ships are excellent and the guest relations was very customer oriented on both ships.

I have always found Celebrity to have better than average food and was happy to find the Solstice also had outstanding entertainment.

I would rate the Solstice a 5+ star ship and the Infinity a 4 star ship.

Greg

Thanks all for the feedback...I'm off to calm the nervous nellies I'm traveling with. Looking forward to a great trip....

We'll be there with you and I fully expect we will all have a wonderful time. We were on Solstice in December and I expected a brand new ship. For Infinity we are expecting a comfortable place to sleep, being well fed and a fabulous itinerary. The less formal surroundings seem to fit the destination.

Just sailing under the Golden Gate bridge will be a thrill. On Solstice the ship was the attraction, but in Alaska it's the destination that is most important.;)

Gretchen

I'm glad you posted this Beachgator....we're leaving on the Infinity on March 15 for South America/Panama Canal and my heart sinks a little with each negative review I see.

However, I'm taking the reviews with the grain of salt and will be thrilled to be on a cruise for 2 weeks and not at work.

Angela

We'll be there with you and I fully expect we will all have a wonderful time. We were on Solstice in December and I expected a brand new ship. For Infinity we are expecting a comfortable place to sleep, being well fed and a fabulous itinerary. The less formal surroundings seem to fit the destination.

Just sailing under the Golden Gate bridge will be a thrill. On Solstice the ship was the attraction, but in Alaska it's the destination that is most important.;)

Gretchen

Gretchen

I will be getting off the Infinity the day you get onboard. I am just looking forward to a nice relaxing vacation with 8 sea days to unwind.(15 nights total) I will not be looking for every thing that is wrong with her... but rather what I can find to enjoy on her.

I admit I did not enjoy sailing on NCL but I managed to enjoy myself. It was still not the everyday routine, new places, new people, new adventures.

I'm glad you posted this Beachgator....we're leaving on the Infinity on March 15 for South America/Panama Canal and my heart sinks a little with each negative review I see.

However, I'm taking the reviews with the grain of salt and will be thrilled to be on a cruise for 2 weeks and not at work.

Angela

After seeing your post I read a few of the recent reviews. One person spent a lot of time complaining about the trip just to get to the port of departure so started off with a lot of negativity and frustration. In my opinion the others were not significant enough concerns so I personally won't worry about them. So many people say how beautiful the ship is, service is great and the Infinity is one of their favorites so I hold onto those comments, knowing that I booked already and will need to form my own opinion.

Guess its because we went on the NCLA to Hawaii and read awful reviews before we left. We chose that cruise because the itinerary met our needs. There were consistent complaints about food, service, etc. In the end while I would agree the food and service were probably the worst we had ever experienced, regardless, we had the best vacation. It was Hawaii!!!! We met wonderful people on Cruise Critic and had a terrific time. Did I write a review afterwards? Of course I did, focusing on both the positive and negative parts of my experience on the ship.

Looking forward to reading your review when you come home.

We've been reading a number of reviews since the Infinity has gotten out of dry dock and the bias about the cruises seem to be a lot more negative than you'd expect. We along with another couple have booked a May 2009 trip to Alaska on the Infinity and since it's out first trip on the ship and to Alaska, we were hoping/expecting it to be comparable to our past great cruises on other Celebrity ships. Since it's getting close to making the final payment, some of my traveling companions are having second thoughts. Any feedback would be welcome.

I just get off the Infinity, is wonderfull, the only old thing is the hairdryer, I have heard the Alaska trip is very good for couples.

My wife and I were on Infinity in December for 14 days through Panama Canal down to Valparaiso Chile. We liked the ship and the people and would sail her again. No significant complaints, lots of praise. Relax and go and have fun.

Archived