Anyone have HAL's Bolognese Sauce Recipe?

mosetter

We loved the pasta with bolognese (meat) sauce in the Lido lunch buffet. Does anyone have the HAL cookbook and is the recipe in there? If someone could post it, my husband would be forever grateful. I've found dozens of recipes for bolognese sauce but none of them are quite the same as the one on HAL.

Thanks!

• 7 years later...

From the HAL Recipes I was given by HAL Chef Thomas Krieger (you will need a calculator):

MENU ITEM:

Sauce – Meat (Bolognese)

REVISION DATE:

06/03/05

Yield: Serves 120

Olive Oil 12 fluid ounces

Garlic, minced 2 cups

Onion, minced 4 cups

Carrots, minced 4 cups

Leek, minced 4 cups

Ground Beef 12 pounds

Veal, ground 8 pounds

Pork, ground 4 pounds

Marinara Sauce 4 # 10 cans

Red Wine 8 cups

Tomato Paste 1 cup

Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Basil, dry 4 cups

Oregano, Dry 4 cups

Bay Leaf 8 each

Beef Stock as needed

[1]Heat the oil in a large pot.

[2]Add the garlic and onion and sauté then until the onions are tender and light colored.

[3]Add ground meat, vegetables and herbs, sauté the mixture, stirring it with a spoon to break up any lumps, until the meat is brown, about 5 minutes.

[4]Add tomato paste, tomato sauce and approx. 2 quarts beef stock and the red wine.

[5]Bring it to a boil season it lightly, reduce the heat and simmer until meat is tender.

[6]Adjust the seasoning as needed and delude with beef stock if needed.

Edited by Crew News

When ever I have tried any of the massive quantity recipes you post, they never, ever work. I am a very good cook and can do simple arithmatic, but those cook for a crowd recipes do not divide well for small amounts.

Just an alert to 'newwbies' of chance you may ewnd uip wiyth disappointing results. I have learned to not waste my time or good ingredients

Edited by sail7seas

When ever I have tried any of the massive quantity recipes you post, they never, ever work. I am a very good cook and can do simple arithmatic, but those cook for a crowd recipes do not divide well for small amounts.

Just an alert to 'newwbies' of chance you may ewnd uip wiyth disappointing results. I have learned to not waste my time or good ingredients

I agree, proportions are very very tricky to break down into small portions.

HAL recipes are relatively simple compared to some cruise lines. I obtained a German roast beef recipe from another line but never attempted as I knew I would be so far over my skis. There were so many steps, so many sauces and flavorings that had to be combined at different steps in the cooking process.

I agree, proportions are very very tricky to break down into small portions.

HAL recipes are relatively simple compared to some cruise lines. I obtained a German roast beef recipe from another line but never attempted as I knew I would be so far over my skis. There were so many steps, so many sauces and flavorings that had to be combined at different steps in the cooking process.

So agree with you. It's so not so much using the correct items as it is when they are to be added/combined. :o

Funny, but I really do not care for their Bolognese sauce. I always order the marinara and spice it up with anchovies, peppers, etc.

Just goes to show that peoples' taste buds are different!

I''m suerw you arew not just now di DISCOVVERING HOW WE ALL HAVE INDIVIDUAL TAaste for food music, literature etc. So many facets of life are enjoyed a or n otg based on ourf own personal tases.

What you describe sounds a little like puttenesca suace but for the peppers. OP asked for a meat sauce recipe.

Edited by sail7seas

We all have personal tastes for food, music, art, dance literature, clothes, theater etc............ What you describe for sauce sounds somgthing like puttenesca suace but f or the pepperS. OP asked for meat sauce recipe.... clearly different e than your offering. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Adding to the Italian naming confusions, I always thought marinara (marine) meant it had anchovies in the first place. Puttanesca also includes capers and hot red peppers - devilish and spicy like a naughty donna italiana. And back to Bolognese- where is the dairy, butter and cream in this Po River Valley city sauce special.

Edited by OlsSalt

Our daughter is also a fan of the Bolognese sauce, as am I. We were on Eurodam last month and she asked for the recipe which promptly appeared.

When I told the server in Tamarind how much I loved the chocolate dessert, she brought me the recipe and I didn't even ask!

Not sure I could replicate it from their directions, as some of you have said, but it was a nice gesture.

If it doesn't turn out well, guess we'll just have to book another cruise to enjoy it onboard!

Our daughter is also a fan of the Bolognese sauce, as am I. We were on Eurodam last month and she asked for the recipe which promptly appeared.

When I told the server in Tamarind how much I loved the chocolate dessert, she brought me the recipe and I didn't even ask!

Not sure I could replicate it from their directions, as some of you have said, but it was a nice gesture.

If it doesn't turn out well, guess we'll just have to book another cruise to enjoy it onboard!

Would you kindly share that recipe for bolognese sauce with us? Thank you if you think you could do that :)

Edited by sail7seas

Adding to the Italian naming confusions, I always thought marinara (marine) meant it had anchovies in the first place. Puttanesca also includes capers and hot red peppers - devilish and spicy like a naughty donna italiana. And back to Bolognese- where is the dairy, butter and cream in this Po River Valley city sauce special.

Since I don't do red meat (unless it's the only thing offered), I don't do Bolognese. I can't offer any insight to a genuine recipe. I do know there is frequently an "Italian" and an "East Coast Italian-American" recipe for all sauces.

But, for Puttanesca: Puttanesca historically does not have a lot of crushed red peppers. It is the olives, anchovies, garlic and capers that give it the flavor. There may be a pinch to maybe 1/4 tsp of peppers. My ex-nanna in law was from Naples (the home of Puttanesca) and it was not very spicy. Puttanesca got it's name from the fact that it is a quick-cooking sauce and the local prostitutes could whip up a batch quickly in-between "clients." It is my go-to sauce since Nanna taught it to me - I can cook it up when I start boiling the water for the pasta and it is all ready at the same time.

Now, if you want the spicy red sauce, you want the Arribbiata. That one does have a lot of crushed pepper in it!! But, if you want to spice up your Puttanesca, have at it; I've been known to count to 10 when I'm shaking in my pepper:eek:

Since I don't do red meat (unless it's the only thing offered), I don't do Bolognese. I can't offer any insight to a genuine recipe. I do know there is frequently an "Italian" and an "East Coast Italian-American" recipe for all sauces.

But, for Puttanesca: Puttanesca historically does not have a lot of crushed red peppers. It is the olives, anchovies, garlic and capers that give it the flavor. There may be a pinch to maybe 1/4 tsp of peppers. My ex-nanna in law was from Naples (the home of Puttanesca) and it was not very spicy. Puttanesca got it's name from the fact that it is a quick-cooking sauce and the local prostitutes could whip up a batch quickly in-between "clients." It is my go-to sauce since Nanna taught it to me - I can cook it up when I start boiling the water for the pasta and it is all ready at the same time.

Now, if you want the spicy red sauce, you want the Arribbiata. That one does have a lot of crushed pepper in it!! But, if you want to spice up your Puttanesca, have at it; I've been known to count to 10 when I'm shaking in my pepper:eek:

I really enjoy Puttsnesca and Arfribiaas but lately have been buying both at Trad er Joe s in bottles. They aren't as good as home made, of course, but okay for when I am alone and want a plate of pasta. I don't bother making home made fotrt myserlf the way I used to make it ewhen I had my DH.

I really enjoy Puttsnesca and Arfribiaas but lately have been buying both at Trad er Joe s in bottles. They aren't as good as home made, of course, but okay for when I am alone and want a plate of pasta. I don't bother making home made fotrt myserlf the way I used to make it ewhen I had my DH.

Hey, I'm a solo eater now, too. I buy Trader Joe's Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce in the bottle. $1.99. I'll do my shake of crushed peppers and maybe add a tad of whatever red wine I have to drink with the pasta. It's a nice little sauce. I couldn't do the Puttanesca - just not like the one Nanna taught me. Once in awhile, though, I'll still buy the can of San Marzano tomatoes, some garlic, olives and capers (if my jar in the fridge is gone), melt down some anchovy and have my Puttanesca. It's a nice small batch so I have enough for 3 meals.

Edited by slidergirl

Hey, I'm a solo eater now, too. I buy Trader Joe's Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce in the bottle. $1.99. I'll do my shake of crushed peppers and maybe add a tad of whatever red wine I have to drink with the pasta. It's a nice little sauce. I couldn't do the Puttanesca - just not like the one Nanna taught me. Once in awhile, though, I'll still buy the can of San Marzano tomatoes, some garlic, olives and capers (if my jar in the fridge is gone), melt down some anchovy and have my Puttanesca. It's a nice small batch so I have enough for 3 meals.

your Nana's (you P -uttANesca sounds wonderful. thanks for the tips how to spruce up trader Joe's Bottle. I'm going to add capers and a sprinkllecrushed anchiovy , blacck olives next time I have the sauce. ;) Enjoy yours :)

Edited by sail7seas

your Nana's (you P -uttANesca sounds wonderful. thanks for the tips how to spruce up trader Joe's Bottle. I'm going to add capers and a sprinkllecrushed anchiovy , blacck olives next time I have the sauce. ;) Enjoy yours :)

Melt down the anchovy by sautéing in a little olive oil - yes, the anchovy filets will melt into the oil. Then add in the bottle. That's why you may see that there is anchovy on the ingredient list for many sauces, but you never see it! If you use the anchovy, be sure to rinse the capers a little bit - your sauce may seem too salty if you use both the anchovy and the capers.

Another hint I've had over time: If I don't have anchovy on hand, a little dash of soy sauce gives some of the same umami that the anchovy will for the tomato sauce.

From CC February 25th, 2006, 01:46 PM

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=303948&highlight=sauce+recipe

HAL Meat Sauce

S7S, as requested, here's the recipe.

In the wake of your recent adventure, we suggest you wait a month before trying.

(serves 8)

1 pound extra lean ground beef

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup chopped carrots

1/2 cup chopped celery

1/3 cup chopped onions

2 garlic gloves minced

14 1/2 ounces canned tomatoes (san marazano) undrained

10 3/4 ounces condensed reduced-sodium tomato soup

6 ounces unsalted tomato paste

2 teaspoons sugar

parsley, oregano, basil to taste

salt to taste

bay leaf

1 pound spaghetti

Brown beef, drain if necessary. Remove from saucepan.

Heat oil in same saucepan. Add carrot, celeery, onion and garlic. Saute, taking care not to overcook garlic.

Add beef and other ingredients. Break tomatoes apart. Heat to boiling. Cover. Reduce heat.

Simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes to an hour.

Remove bay leaf and serve.

We have noticed, the longer it simmers, the better.

Enjoy!