Is it really that hard - pool chairs

ejpumpkin

With all this talk of "chair hogs" and having diamond/suite people getting reserved chairs, it made me wonder. Is it really that hard to get a lounge chair out by the pool??

I know we are going during spring break, so it will be full of families on vacation - but should I really get up at 7, have breakfast, shower, etc. to be out by the pool laying at 9 JUST so have a chair all day?? :confused: I just want to wake up when I wake up, relax, eat, and head to the pool when we are ready. I don't want to rush knowing that if we didn't we wouldn't be able to get a chair.

We really like the idea of the solarium - will chairs be easier to get there as opposed to the main pool??

Thanks for any insight you can give! :D

If you want a chair directly in front of the pool, you have to be down there by about 7-8am. As you go back rows, there is more availability, but not for long.

If you go up a deck, there is usually more availability, maybe til around 11am.

People really do hog the chairs.

We don't go into the Solarium often, but I can usually find a chair.

What ship are you going on? Maybe people can give specific advice if they know.

Unless you MUST be right beside the pool, loungers aren't hard to find on the upper decks and areas a bit of a way from the actual pool. (Less traffic and noise, there, too!)

But, like the above poster said, if there are chairs being "saved", with no one around, ask the pool attendant to move the things.

I've found the solarium chairs to be harder to come by than the upper deck chairs. Plus, there's more room...they put the loungers so close together, that you almost have to crawl onto them. On the upper decks, there's room to "re-arrange" the furniture at bit!

We have cruised the past 3 years during spring break with our kids and a group of other people......each year we have moved up to a little bigger ship....Majesty, Enchantment, then the Navigator last year. I will say that I have never had a problem getting a chair out near the pool but i am one who usually likes to lie up on the top deck and not right down around the pool! It does definitely get crowded in the afternoon but there seem to be so many chairs I am sure you will find a place to sit!! especially if you are going on the Freedom! I will also have to admit that I am an early riser also.....but definitely not to get me a good seat at the pool!! :) I just have always been that way.....guess I don't want to miss out on anything!! :D

should I really get up at 7, have breakfast, shower, etc. to be out by the pool laying at 9 JUST so have a chair all day?? :confused:

easy solution, wait about a half an hour. If no one comes by the chair(s), kindly remove the towels to the side and stake your claim.

Yes, if it's important to you to get the chairs exactly in the area you want them. But if you do go out and get your chair(s) at 7-8am, be prepared to spend the day IN the chairs or else your chairs could be taken from you if you leave them for more than 30 minutes, as wr813 has suggested that you could do to someone else if they leave their chairs for more than 30 minutes.

Been on several caribbean cruises and have always had a hard time getting a chair on the pool deck. The chairs get moved around so its impossible to walk around the deck to search for an open chair, and just when you think you have found two together, someone says "its saved" so we have all but given up sitting by the pool on sea days, we save our sunbathing for port days when everyone else is on land. Its quieter and the bar service is excellent.

The chairs get moved around so its impossible to walk around the deck to search for an open chair, and just when you think you have found two together, someone says "its saved" so we have all but given up sitting by the pool on sea days, we save our sunbathing for port days when everyone else is on land. Its quieter and the bar service is excellent.

And to that my response would be "but saving is not permitted." I went to the solarium on one cruise - there were two empty loungers next to one another. A gal had just dropped her things on the end one, so I proceded to put mine on the other. "Oh," she said "are you going to sit there?" "Yup" "Well, I was saving it for my friend who is coming later." "Sorry, saving is not allowed - my husband is coming later as well but I wouldn't be so rude as to save a chair for him." She then got into the pool and stayed there for at least three hours (her friend never did show up). I think she was embarrassed to come back.

With all this talk of "chair hogs" and having diamond/suite people getting reserved chairs, it made me wonder. Is it really that hard to get a lounge chair out by the pool??

I know we are going during spring break, so it will be full of families on vacation - but should I really get up at 7, have breakfast, shower, etc. to be out by the pool laying at 9 JUST so have a chair all day?? :confused: I just want to wake up when I wake up, relax, eat, and head to the pool when we are ready. I don't want to rush knowing that if we didn't we wouldn't be able to get a chair.

We really like the idea of the solarium - will chairs be easier to get there as opposed to the main pool??

Thanks for any insight you can give! :D

I haven't read anywhere that Diamonds get reserved seating, just suite guests (not juniors).

We prefer the solarium and often have trouble finding seating.

We went on the Sovereign in 2007 during college spring break. My DD and her BF got up around 9am and figured they could some chairs on the upper deck. Nope! Every chair was taken and people were even laying out all over the deck. There wasn't a clear space anywhere! The kids continued to hang around hoping for a chance at just 1 chair, but after 2 hours, gave up and we just hung out at the Schooner for the remainder of the day.

We went to the windjammer around 2pm and it was still crazy. You couldn't even walk on the pool or upper decks. People were everywhere. I've never seen it like that! Of course, the Sovereign was a tiny lady!

We prefer the solarium and often have trouble finding seating.

I sometimes find it's harder to find a seat in the solarium during peak hours than it is outside. There are alot of people who do not like, or can not, sit in the sun. People also have a tendency to take their naps in the solarium too. I don't know how many times I've walked through there, only to see people napping. Walk back a few hours later...still napping.

And to that my response would be "but saving is not permitted." I went to the solarium on one cruise - there were two empty loungers next to one another. A gal had just dropped her things on the end one, so I proceded to put mine on the other. "Oh," she said "are you going to sit there?" "Yup" "Well, I was saving it for my friend who is coming later." "Sorry, saving is not allowed - my husband is coming later as well but I wouldn't be so rude as to save a chair for him." She then got into the pool and stayed there for at least three hours (her friend never did show up). I think she was embarrassed to come back.

There are different degrees of "saving" Getting up early and saving three or more chairs for others that are late risers is not good. But saving for a friend that has popped away for a little while is understandable. Its just hard to tell when the pool deck is so crowded, If I cant find a chair Im not going to stand around "timing" the empty chairs.

I sometimes find it's harder to find a seat in the solarium during peak hours than it is outside. There are alot of people who do not like, or can not, sit in the sun. People also have a tendency to take their naps in the solarium too. I don't know how many times I've walked through there, only to see people napping. Walk back a few hours later...still napping.

I might be one of those people. Napping by the pool is what cruising is all about. ;)

I've asked this question before on another thread, but I believe it was overlooked.

My question was, can you provide your own chairs? With my husband and I local to our port and able to share a suitcase between the two of us, I figured we could just find some nice foldaway and easily portable chairs to bring with us. I hoped we could enjoy them on our balcony since I'd like to bring something that's more of a lounger than the upright chairs I've seen provided. Is this possible? Has anyone ever done it?

We've vowed to be completely relaxed and go with the flow on this cruise that we've decided we are more than happy to accept just sitting directly on the deck on a few towels if we have to. We're willing to "rough" it.

I wonder what the ration is of guests onboard to chairs. They should be close I feel cause what else do guests want to do on a beautiful day at sea I will be pissed off to say the least if I can not get seats for me and my husband, and if I wake up early to put some stuff on the chairs no one shoudl have a problem with that.

:)

I Now get up @ 7, enjoy the sunrise, hold with towels 2 chairs for my fam of 4 people, and then go for breakfast, there is always someone of the four of us using the 2 chairs. Usually low down by the pool.

WHY do I hold chairs?? only once, we were new to cruising and during New years, a jammed full Carnival cruise we had chairs up on a HIGH deck, we were making time, 20 knots into the wind, uphill, both ways and the entertainment was watching the dinnerware, glasses, hats, towels, etc, blow off the back of the ship.

Now I lay low. :p

I wonder what the ration is of guests onboard to chairs. They should be close I feel cause what else do guests want to do on a beautiful day at sea I will be pissed off to say the least if I can not get seats for me and my husband, and if I wake up early to put some stuff on the chairs no one shoudl have a problem with that.

Prepare the fire. You're about to be flamed!

I've asked this question before on another thread, but I believe it was overlooked.

My question was, can you provide your own chairs? With my husband and I local to our port and able to share a suitcase between the two of us, I figured we could just find some nice foldaway and easily portable chairs to bring with us. I hoped we could enjoy them on our balcony since I'd like to bring something that's more of a lounger than the upright chairs I've seen provided. Is this possible? Has anyone ever done it?

We've vowed to be completely relaxed and go with the flow on this cruise that we've decided we are more than happy to accept just sitting directly on the deck on a few towels if we have to. We're willing to "rough" it.

Although I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't think they would allow that.

Can you imagine if everyone brought their own chair? :eek:

Where would they put them all?

But that only contributes to the problem.

You complain that you have a problem with it if someone else does it to you.

Why should it not be a problem if you do it to someone else?

Although I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't think they would allow that.

Can you imagine if everyone brought their own chair? :eek:

Where would they put them all?

Next to the "reserved" ones :D

I have to find out a definite answer to this. I wanted something more lounge-like for the balcony anyway.

Archived