What Books Are You Bringing On Your Next Cruise?

NYHartChapp

The new Lincoln Child's book comes out the end of this month. I'm going to make myself wait to start reading it until my flight to Barcelona in April! Anything by Child's and/or Douglas Preston (they've co-authored quite a few) is a great vacation read!

I went on the Spirit with the kids one summer and read THREE Nelson B. DeMille books in 6 days! OK, so maybe I seemed a little... detached... but hey, greatest orgy of reading EVER. He is an awesome writer- he keeps you hanging on the edge of your lounge chair, so to speak...

This time I'm bringing: Me Talk Pretty One Day (David Sedaris) and Why We Suck (Denis Leary). DH is bringing Looking for Jimmy, a Search for Irish America (you could just go to my in-laws' house- no search" necessary) by Peter Quinn.

:) Just having a break from PACKING!-leaving on Thurs. for Barcelona-Taking the latest Grisham:The Appeal, as both can read it, and Alan Bennet's "Talking Heads", plus a Louise Bagshaw for a bit of escapism. I leave them on the paperback shelf in the library when finished.-jocap.

Am trying to get some ideas for deck/beach reading on upcoming Dawn cruise. Thanks in advance.

HAIL PURDUE! DH and I are both grads and raising a couple future boilermakers!

I am planning on taking The Host by Stephanie Meyer on our March cruise. I've been saving it up!

Loved Skinny Dip and Sick Puppy, both by Carl Hiaasen. Skinny Dip about a cruise. They both kept me reading and had a hard time putting them down!

Liked Skinny Dip, but was a bit disappointed in Sick Puppy, so I haven't picked up any of his others.

Liked Skinny Dip, but was a bit disappointed in Sick Puppy, so I haven't picked up any of his others.

I felt exactly the same way. His last two didn't do it for me either, one about his golf and the other a children's book. By the way, all three books by J. Maarten Troost are among my all time favorites. Start with "The Sex Lives of Cannibals; Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific," follow with "Getting Stoned with Savages; A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu," and finish with "Lost on Planet China." Laugh out loud funny, and really interesting perspective of life in these countries.

I felt exactly the same way. His last two didn't do it for me either' date=' one about his golf and the other a children's book. By the way, all three books by J. Maarten Troost are among my all time favorites. Start with "The Sex Lives of Cannibals; Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific," follow with "Getting Stoned with Savages; A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu," and finish with "Lost on Planet China." Laugh out loud funny, and really interesting perspective of life in these countries.[/quote']

Interesting titles. And I love laugh out loud...

Interesting titles. And I love laugh out loud...

You might want to go to Amazon.com, search for them, then read some random pages from each book to get an idea of the author's writing style. I suggest you click on the "surprise me" option and check out a few pages.

I love Debbie Macomber books! My sister just brought me The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I've been laid up sick and was getting bored, even though I have enough unread books to last me through my life, and beyond. Everyone is also recommending The Shack.

I never know what I'm going to bring until I know what I've already finished. Last cruises I read David McCullough's "John Adams", Meg Cabot's "Every Boy's Got One", and Ursula K. LeGuin's "Lavinia". Came home and read two Wilbur Smith adventures, stand-alones, not the Courtney, Ballantyne or Egypt series. Now I'm into the old Bourne Ultimatum. I expect the next will be a biography of Einstein.

Archived