What Books Are You Bringing On Your Next Cruise?

NYHartChapp

"Why We Suck" by Denis Leary is absolutely hysterical and very reminiscent of my childhood! It was a great read. I gave it to my brother when I was finished. I am, sure you will enjoy it! There is a lot of truth in that book. I want to quote it so bad, but I would hate to give anything away!

:D

I'll have to give it a try. Have always loved his comedy routines (especially "Coffee").

I can never decide' date=' so I bring my Kindle which currently has 21 books loaded onto it, with a wide range of authors so I can pick whatever I'm in the mood for. Love, love, love my Kindle! :D[/quote']

Please enlighten me, what is a kindle? DD

Please enlighten me, what is a kindle? DD

Kindle is a hand-held electronic device that allows you to read purchased digital books on a screen. It's about the size of a paperback book. It's offered by Amazon. Can't imagine why one would purchase that instead of a paperback, but there you have it.

• 7 months later...
"Why We Suck" by Denis Leary is absolutely hysterical and very reminiscent of my childhood! It was a great read. I gave it to my brother when I was finished. I am, sure you will enjoy it! There is a lot of truth in that book. I want to quote it so bad, but I would hate to give anything away!

:D

Ok, that clinches it.

Just finished The Winter of Frankie Machine, by Don Winslow. Anybody else like him?

BTW, in previous post, I mentioned confusion as to why a kindle. Well, DW got me one since that post and I LOVE it. So, THERE you have it.

I'm bringing Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. I read the first 2 pages on Amazon and can't wait to read more. I'm a foodie so that type book is my choice of reading material.

I'm just worried I'll get it and read it before my cruise!

I solved that problem by ordering 3 of his books! LOL:D

I read Cruise Confidential and wasn't quite as enamored of it as some. I expected more.......It was a fun read though.:) I'm giving my copy to my neighbor to read on the cruise in October. Her first cruise. It will be a blast!

I just finished reading a reallly fun book and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone .....Water For Elephants....

Did not want that one to end! So far, everyone I've recommended it to has thanked me, as I did to the person who told me about it.

I aggree and add John Lescroart & Sue Grafton. I have a kindle and always a good variety loaded on it however I don't think I would take it to the pool or the beach!

I am currently reading John Lescroart. He is really turning out to br a good author! I am on the 3rd of the Dismas Hardy series.:) EReaders are great for vacations and take up hardly any room! I started out several years ago reading Michael Connelly on my Palm PDA.

As long as the post is resurrected....

I try really hard to read nothing on a cruise that will make me think too much. :D

Pretty much for women only, go with anything by Jennifer Lancaster. Her first and second books, Bitter is the New Black and Bright Lights, Big Ass, were laugh-out-loud funny! My sisters and I would call and read passages to each other on the phone. Perfect light-hearted stuff for a cruise, but reallly well written.

I also love Christopher Moore. I particularly enjoyed Lamb (The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal) and Island of the Sequined Love Nun. Excellent writing, great reads, funny!!! He has come out with a couple I haven't read, and they're going with me in November.

I'm bringing Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. I read the first 2 pages on Amazon and can't wait to read more. I'm a foodie so that type book is my choice of reading material.

I read Cruise Confidential and wasn't quite as enamored of it as some. I expected more.......It was a fun read though.:) I'm giving my copy to my neighbor to read on the cruise in October. Her first cruise. It will be a blast!

You will love Kitchen Confidential :D, it's great and a quick and easy read. As for me, I'm saving Dan Brown's new book, The Lost Symbol, for our cruise on the 9th. Every time I walk by it, I want to read just one page but I know if I start, I won't stop so I'm ignoring it for now.....until the 9th. :) I'll take a couple of others, too. I always donate them to the ship's library when I'm done - makes extra room for souveneirs.

Katink

I just finished reading a reallly fun book and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone .....Water For Elephants....

Did not want that one to end! So far, everyone I've recommended it to has thanked me, as I did to the person who told me about it.

Excellent book! I know what you mean about not wanting it to end!

I too, have a Kindle. LOVE my kindle!!! I do read it at the beach and pool. I just place it in a ziplock bag and take it out when I'm dry and sand-free. It's actually pretty hardy. It's great because I keep it in my purse. It does not take up much room, I can read with ONE hand (especially convenient when reading during lunch, etc.) and I can take a "stack" of books on my cruise and not have to worry about them taking up too much real estate in my luggage! Just don't forget to pack the charger!;)

I bought the Kindle 2 in February and I love it! I downloaded a bunch of the free samples and am in the process of reading the samples to decide what to order for my trip. That is a real advantage to the Kindle. I read a lot and had been buying a lot of paperbacks. The biggest disadvantage is not sharing with friends after I read a book. The biggest advantage besides space is the ability to make the print bigger. I also can turn on audio read for most books if I want to. My old eyes love it.

You might like Daine Mott Davidson all her books are mysteries written for foodies.

As long as the post is resurrected....

I try really hard to read nothing on a cruise that will make me think too much. :D

Pretty much for women only, go with anything by Jennifer Lancaster. Her first and second books, Bitter is the New Black and Bright Lights, Big Ass, were laugh-out-loud funny! My sisters and I would call and read passages to each other on the phone. Perfect light-hearted stuff for a cruise, but reallly well written.

I also love Christopher Moore. I particularly enjoyed Lamb (The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal) and Island of the Sequined Love Nun. Excellent writing, great reads, funny!!! He has come out with a couple I haven't read, and they're going with me in November.

I just got Jen's latest book "Such a Pretty Fat"! I found "Bright Lights, Big Ass" hilarious. Another hysterical book is "Hypocrite in a White Poufy Dress" by Sarah Jane Gilman.

I've got "The Fixer Upper" by Mary Kay Andrews (another funny author), "Vision in White" by Nora Roberts, "Once in a Lifetime" by Cathy Kelly and "Further Under the Duvet" by Marian Keys (both Irish authors), "School of Essential Ingredients" by Erica Bauermeister, "Summer House" by Nancy Thayer - and a few others ready. I read fast and I like to have a selection. I thought DH was going to have an issue with the #/weight of books, but I guess he's gotten used to this, as I take a duffel bag fillled with nothing but books when we travel by car to the beach.

When we travel by air, I always load my carry-on with all my books - so the day they start putting weight restrictions on those, I guess I'll have to break down and buy a Kindle.

I'm another Kindle 2 newbie and took it with me 3 weeks ago when we went to Roatan for 8 days........I highly recommend The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand and Last Light over Carolina by Mary Alice Monroe. Enjoyed also Paranoia by Joseph Finder, A Colossal Failure of Common Sense: The Inside Story of the Collapse of Lehman Brothers by Patrick Robinson.

My Kindle goes everywhere with me (fits right into my handbag) and I pull it out whenever I have a few minutes to spare.......

Alot of you say that you leave the books behind you in the library.

Are they kept in a separate section as I don't remember seeing any paper backs - do you have to sign them out like the NCL books ?

On Jade, they were on the windowsill, next to the desk. You can swap them whenever- day or night. We leave them, and fill the space in the luggage with duty frees. This has been the same when we travelled on Sea Princess and P&O.- jocap.

Archived