What Books Are You Bringing On Your Next Cruise?

NYHartChapp

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is fun and quick. The Glass Castle was an amazing story and true. I bring my Kindle to keep the packing light. I haven't loaded it up yet. We also bring DVD's - usually the most recently released season of The Closer - We avoid it all year and catch up on our cruise. We missed Lost the first year and brought it to catch up before the next season premier.

With a few million books in print, it sure would be hard to "suggest' what somebody else might bring. I have taken some interest in walking around to find the wide range of books that people read.

As to me - probably the same three books I took on the last cruise and never got around to reading. LOL

My last cruise in April I read Marly & Me. I had started reading it about a month before and in the midst of it, I ended up having to put my yellow lab down. I finished it on the cruise and sat there crying on my deck chair.

Don't read Marly & Me on a cruise:eek:. It was a great book but just don't!

I usally see what's hot on Borders.com. Usually they do come out with a list of "beach books" prior to summer but that isn't going to help te OP as they are leaving next month.

Check it out anyway, you may get some ideas. have fun.

Sandy

Don't forget the latest edition of Norwegian cruise line's "Freestyle Cruising" to go along with a fresh Future Cruise certificate to start planning your next cruise.

The ship ran out of "Freestyle Cruising" on my last sailing so I Will bring a copy next time.

We'll be on the Dawn Saturday 2/14. I plan to spend a lot of time reading while lounging in our BA Aft balconies on deck 10!

I am bringing 3 books, David Baldacci's latest (Divine Justice) and John Grisham's latest (The Appeal), both hardcover; and a paperback by Jeffrey Archer (False Impression). I'll probably only get through 1 or 2, but always want the backup just in case.

For my cruise in three weeks, I will be taking the last two Golf Digest mags which I haven't read. Like so many others, take only paperbacks, for less weight. Go to your local library, and I bet they have a fair selection of paperback books.

saddleman

I'll be crising in about 2 months. I'm sure there will be a new James Patterson - he's are so easy to read with the chapters being so short. I would love a new janet evanovich, but it gets embarressing when I'm laughing out loud on deck.

We'll be on the Dawn Saturday 2/14. I plan to spend a lot of time reading while lounging in our BA Aft balconies on deck 10!

I am bringing 3 books, David Baldacci's latest (Divine Justice) and John Grisham's latest (The Appeal), both hardcover; and a paperback by Jeffrey Archer (False Impression). I'll probably only get through 1 or 2, but always want the backup just in case.

OOOOOO DECK 10 AFT BA. May I ask which one? I'm in 10230 in October.

Enjoy!

I have Team of Rivals, by Doris Kearns Goodwin set aside, but I might just bring my light cruise reading - the swords/sorcery/sex books - you know: the ones with the hot guy on the cover (for some reason they usually don't show his face, just his body) and vampires/dragons/werewolves in the background.....

I have Team of Rivals, by Doris Kearns Goodwin set aside, but I might just bring my light cruise reading - the swords/sorcery/sex books - you know: the ones with the hot guy on the cover (for some reason they usually don't show his face, just his body) and vampires/dragons/werewolves in the background.....

you're kind of scaring me MaryTKD:D

Just finished it a couple of weeks ago. Not exactly my idea of beach reading though ;).

I can never decide' date=' so I bring my Kindle which currently has 21 books loaded onto it, with a wide range of authors so I can pick whatever I'm in the mood for. Love, love, love my Kindle! :D[/quote']

OK, so tell me about the Kindle...I have looked at them a time or two, I am guessing you think its worth the money? Do you "purchase" the books you download on there?

Do tell!!

Considering as I generally read 2 books per week while NOT on vacation, and there's still 3 1/2 weeks to go before I leave, I have no idea what books I will bring on my cruise, because most likely I'll have finished some of the books in my to be read pile by then. ;)

What type of books do you like? An open-ended question like "what books are you reading?" is useless in soliciting good recommendations unless you tell us what you like to read. Fiction? Non-fiction?

If fiction, what genre? Romance? Mystery? Sci-fi? Fantasy? Literary? Classics?

If non-fic, what subject?

As for myself, I'm currently reading "Silent in the Sanctuary" by Deanna Raybourn (the second in her Lady Jane Grey mystery series...excellent!). I believe next up will probably be "Envy" by Anna Godbersen (the third in her "The Luxe" series about spoiled rich teenagers during New York's Gilded Age...think "Gossip Girl meets The Age of Innocence"). Or perhaps "Love in the Heir" by Kathryn Caskie, since it's sitting on my desk calling to me.

But since there are still 3 1/2 weeks before my cruise, I can safely assume I'll be done with those by then. So who knows what I might bring along.

Oh, and to all those who have been mentioning how much they love Janet Evanovitch...if you like her books, might I make the suggestion of Gemma Halliday? Her "High Heels Mysteries" series is pee-your-pants funny.

I love brain candy books on vacation.....

My list for the Pearl on the 22nd is I hope they serve beer in hell - , Stiff, and 2 Harlan Coben books....Its one of my favorite parts of getting ready for a vacation- planning on what I will be reading.....

I've thrown a couple in my suitcase, but the final selections haven't been made yet. I read 6 or 7 books per cruise, plus I'm heavily into Bookcrossing, so I need to gather some books to release as well.

Whats bookcrossing? Trading books you bring for ones in the library?

Whats bookcrossing? Trading books you bring for ones in the library?

I don't know if I am allowed to post a link here? Probably not. :)

Bookcrossing is a web site where you register books with an ID number and then leave them in public places for people to find and hopefully journal. I had one book that I left at a Bagel shop in Kansas and the next time I heard from it it had just been picked up off a table in Cancun. Fun stuff!

It comes in handy when repacking my suitcase at the end of a trip. :D

Archived