Port Everglades Cabs to Airport

ROWSE

When we took a cab to FLL airport recently from Port Everglades, the cab driver did not have his meter on. In the confusion of leaving port, and a middle man loading our luggage and demanding a tip, we did not ask the price. I know that was foolish on my part. I thought a meter would run.

I noticed the ship listed the expected price to be $15 so when he charged $20 we felt that was a $5 tip and did not add more since I was rather put out having to tip the middle man we thought was the cab driver.

Is this normal now? In years past, the meter ran and it was never more than $15. Is this a new nasty they are doing?

What are other's experience recently.

I believe it is a set price, which is very common all over the world for specific, often-run transfers. For example, when we were in Seattle, the set fare was $35 from the airport to the area of downtown that we wanted to go to or the set price from LHR to central London.

Lately, I've seen prices of about $28 from the port to FLL. $20 would've been a deal.

I don't know. All I can go on is what people have told me recently. I was also told that taxi cab fare from FLL to the Embassy Suites is $14 + tip and I know the port is about 1.5 miles further than that, so $15 doesn't make much sense, but either does $28. For a taxi from the Embassy Suites to the port, I was told it's only $4, but I know we've paid more than that in previous years. Guess this isn't much help.

When we took a cab to FLL airport recently from Port Everglades, the cab driver did not have his meter on. In the confusion of leaving port, and a middle man loading our luggage and demanding a tip, we did not ask the price. I know that was foolish on my part. I thought a meter would run.

I noticed the ship listed the expected price to be $15 so when he charged $20 we felt that was a $5 tip and did not add more since I was rather put out having to tip the middle man we thought was the cab driver.

Is this normal now? In years past, the meter ran and it was never more than $15. Is this a new nasty they are doing?

What are other's experience recently.

We were on the Emerald 1/19-1/29 also. As we had a 1:20PM flight we were in no hurry to get to the airport. We also noticed the "middleman-dispatcher" trying to herd passengers into waiting vans for transport to the airport. When we asked the price, we were told $10/pp. We decided to wait for a regular taxi and the fare was $14.70.

Mike

I just read the whole thread you mentioned and saw 1 person mention $15 and another $26.

Unless they have made it a fixed rate just recently this info may be incorrect.

I have always paid a metered rate which was in the $12 - $15 range except for the one time when they nailed me for $30.

We had 4 in our party and the porter said you are going to need a van. He takes our stuff to a van and away we go. I noticed there was no meter and said that to my wife.

When we got to the airport he said $30. We were in the van a little more than 5 minutes. Needless to say there was no tip for which I received a dirty look.

My fault for not asking first. Maybe that's what happened to the poster who paid $26.

I know there is a fixed rate in Miami of $24 but never had one in FLL.

Bill

Not supposed to be a fixed rate in FLL. That is why they have the meter.

This should be reported.

This is another ploy to charge more, like mine who took the loooong scenic route to the Renaissance in Nov.

Tried to tell me there was construction on 17th St. :eek:

Needless to say I told him what I would be paying him, he never said a word. Oh and no tip either.

I just read the whole thread you mentioned and saw 1 person mention $15 and another $26.

Unless they have made it a fixed rate just recently this info may be incorrect.

I have always paid a metered rate which was in the $12 - $15 range except for the one time when they nailed me for $30.

We had 4 in our party and the porter said you are going to need a van. He takes our stuff to a van and away we go. I noticed there was no meter and said that to my wife.

When we got to the airport he said $30. We were in the van a little more than 5 minutes. Needless to say there was no tip for which I received a dirty look.

My fault for not asking first. Maybe that's what happened to the poster who paid $26.

I know there is a fixed rate in Miami of $24 but never had one in FLL.

Bill

We asked the bellhop at the Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel, which is right next to the cruise terminal, for a van, since we were 4 people and the couple travelling with us have a lot of luggage. We assumed it would still be a metered taxi van however. We had read on these boards that taxi from that hotel to port was around $4. When we had our stuff loaded up in the van, we noticed that there was not a meter so we asked price. Driver said $8 per person. Ended up being a lot more than $4 so be aware of that if asking for a van, you would probably be cheaper to go in 2 regular taxis. In our case however, we had wanted to stop at the liquor store and the driver took us there and waited while we picked up our stuff and then drove us to the port, all for the same rate, so we tipped him a little extra, so all in all we were OK with it.

So in the end it looks like whatever they can get away with. I feel like it was my own fault then for not getting way more vocal at the time about the price or the lack of meter running.

Oh well, did not want to end on an ugly note. It was a wonderful cruise and I am happy it was $20 now and not $28, although I wish it had been the $13.85.

Archived