Cat. D worth the extra money?

robmab

We are currently booked in a center hump cabin on Deck 6 (cat. E2) for our Mariner cruise in June. We have stayed in hump cabins before and love the location.

In checking the pricing, I noticed we can upgrade to a D3 or D2 for only $40-70 total. I know it's a little more room, but we'd have to give up that prime hump location and go a little more forward or aft.

What's worth more? The prime midship location or the few square feet of extra space in the D cabins?

(I should mention there are only two of us traveling, and were perfectly happy with the space in the E cabins on Brilliance and Jewel.)

We are currently booked in a center hump cabin on Deck 6 (cat. E2) for our Mariner cruise in June. We have stayed in hump cabins before and love the location.

In checking the pricing, I noticed we can upgrade to a D3 or D2 for only $40-70 total. I know it's a little more room, but we'd have to give up that prime hump location and go a little more forward or aft.

What's worth more? The prime midship location or the few square feet of extra space in the D cabins?

(I should mention there are only two of us traveling, and were perfectly happy with the space in the E cabins on Brilliance and Jewel.)

I would stay with the hump -the extra space is minimal

We were in the same predicament for our upcoming cruise on Jewel. We had an E3 hump, but then noticed that the D1's were $200 pp LESS than the E3's. We don't have any mobility issues so we jumped on it. More space for less money? No brainer. Plus we are going to have 2 kids in the room, so the 'little' extra space may help.

The hump wasn't THAT important to us. Our D1 is about midway between the hump and aft of the ship.

Just a suggestion as you seem to want something midship. Could you bood a D GTY and let them assign you? I booked a D1 gty and was assigned a JS. I would have never paid for the difference but was happy the upgrade fairy paid me a visit. The chance you take is getting a foward or aft location... Good luck and have a great cruise...;)

Just a suggestion as you seem to want something midship. Could you bood a D GTY and let them assign you? I booked a D1 gty and was assigned a JS. I would have never paid for the difference but was happy the upgrade fairy paid me a visit. The chance you take is getting a foward or aft location... Good luck and have a great cruise...;)

I don't think the D GTY is available. Besides, I would be pretty bummed if we didn't get upgraded and ended up way forward or way aft. I think we'll stick with our center hump and spend the extra $$ on fruity drinks. :)

We have yet to be on a Voyager Class, but planning on sailing on the Mariner for a April 2011 Group Cruise, what Deck is recommended. We had a D-1 for our Hawaii Cruise on the Radiance, but they are very scarce on the Mariner. If we could get Deck 9 # 9622/24, would you recommend it or drop to Deck 8 E-1 # 8622/24.

We have yet to be on a Voyager Class, but planning on sailing on the Mariner for a April 2011 Group Cruise, what Deck is recommended. We had a D-1 for our Hawaii Cruise on the Radiance, but they are very scarce on the Mariner. If we could get Deck 9 # 9622/24, would you recommend it or drop to Deck 8 E-1 # 8622/24.

9624 is JS, so I'll assume you meant 9620/22. I would be wary of the Deck 9 portside hump cabins because they are directly below the RS. If you have partiers in there it could be disturbing to you, based on a couple of threads that were posted here a few weeks ago.

I like the Deck 9 hump because it's right next to the CL. If you're D/D+, you can go over for a quick cup of coffee and then bring it back to your balcony to enjoy it. Deck 8 would provide you with a little exercise to do that.:)

Most people were giving recommendations based on cabin location. I'm curious what people would say if location was very similar (say both hump but deck 9 vs. deck 8) and the only difference was price (say $300/person).

This is likely the decision I'll be making in 1-2 months for a 2010 itinerary on a Radiance class ship (Serenade).

Jean your right I did mean 9620/24, looked at the Deck plans then forgot the #'s LOL, blame it on age. Right now I am settling for the 8th deck, being its only a 7 day cruise and could save a little. We loved our D-1 on the Radiance this Oct. We have not been on a voyager Class and wish we were going longer then 7 days, but its a Group Cruise from our CC Calif group. I am not familiar with this Class and would really like a longer time aboad.

Most people were giving recommendations based on cabin location. I'm curious what people would say if location was very similar (say both hump but deck 9 vs. deck 8) and the only difference was price (say $300/person).

This is likely the decision I'll be making in 1-2 months for a 2010 itinerary on a Radiance class ship (Serenade).

If the locations differed by one deck, and the price difference was $300, I'd say save the money and take the cheaper accommodation. If the price difference were $40 or $50 I might have more of a problem deciding but would probably still go for the less expensive room (E vs D).:)

Keep the hump. We were in 6618 on Mariner last summer and had an absolutely wonderful view and the location (near everything) was fantastic. The size difference between the E-2 and D-1 (which we had on Radiance) was not noticeable to us. Whatever your decision, enjoy your cruise.

Anne:)

Archived