Orient Beach -- families concerned about nudity beware

When in Rome, do as the Romans do...

I can recommend putting your swimsuits off, if only once in your lifetime, and enjoy the beach,sea and sun "au naturel".

Nothing wrong with being naked, and yes, you might feel unconfortable at first, but I tell you that the ONLY people staring at you and/or judging at Orient Beach are US tourists who all have their suits on. Nude sunbathing is fantastic, and indeed a FAMILY activity. The quicker we learn our children that you should not be ashamed of ones body and that half the world has a vagina, the other half has a penis, in all sizes and shapes, the less frustrated, scared and uncertain they will be when they reach puberty...

there is a reason why so many 16 year old American girls get breast-surgery...:rolleyes: If you can only compare yourself with unrealistic images from the media, the result is an unrealistic, dare I say fake, environment where teenagers and young adults feel bad about their own body, have issues with nudity and this reflexts on more than just being shy in the locker-rooms.

I realize that I as European have no right in critisizing US customs and upbringing, I am however stating the view that many of my countrymen/women have.

Anyway, enjoy the Beach, wether with or without textile...

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks so much to the OP. I have two little girls and was thinking about Orient Beach. Your warning is appreciated. I have no desire to take my kids to a nude or partially nude beach. I am sure that nude bathers will appreciate us not being there, as five year olds have loud questions, that could pretty much embarass even the most sophisticated nude bather. I am going to check out the Aqua Mania post.

Went to Friar's Beach several times & did not see any one nude/topless. That is not to say that you will not encounter this but it seemed to be more of a local's beach. Just a suggestion.

I recall hearing that locals are bothered by nudity on many of the islands so beaches with fewer attractions for tourists are likely to be a good choice. Check out http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/stmaarten_Beaches.html for a good discussion of the attributes of ALL of the beaches.

j

I am sure that nude bathers will appreciate us not being there, as five year olds have loud questions, that could pretty much embarass even the most sophisticated nude bather.

Chances are you would be the one embarrassed about their questions, not the nudists.

The five year old on our trip a couple of summers ago either did not notice or at least didn't care enough to say anything at Orient Beach. He was too busy playing in the sand and the surf to notice. We had a great time at OB and recommend it highly.

As this one will be heading to the thread graveyard in the sky very shortly, I thought I'd give my 2c on this one. I love this beach, it is one of my favourite destinations in the caribbean - the waves, the easy relaxed beach cafes and bars, and the casual clothing options.

From what I've seen, if the adults in the party are casual and accepting of partial and full nudity, the kids couldn't care less - especially as in Europe, it's often families that enjoy the clothing option alternative; the occasional pass-by of nude adults at Orient is so low key that kids involved with their sandcastles and the beautiful ocean, probably wouldn't even bat an eyelid.

On our last two visits, I can't tell you how many nude walkers and bathers were within eyeshot on the 'regular' beach, because it didn't register. If you stay away from the nudist section of the beach (Club Orient) you will only have a handful of topless and nude visitors to concern yourself over. I think it is really sad that you miss out on a beautiful beach because of the perceived risk of seeing a few partial or fully naked humans. Please visit, relax and enjoy the place for what it is rather than get yourself into a state over what might or might not be there.

It was brought up in the original post . . . ask the OP.

Yes, but as far as I can see, the only reference to the Bible in the OP is a mention of a gentleman who stands in the beach parking lot holding a Bible. No mention was made of any correlation between Bibles and toplessness/nudity being "good" or "bad" or "evil" or any such thing. I think you're reading something into nothing.

beachchick

Yes, but as far as I can see, the only reference to the Bible in the OP is a mention of a gentleman who stands in the beach parking lot holding a Bible. No mention was made of any correlation between Bibles and toplessness/nudity being "good" or "bad" or "evil" or any such thing. I think you're reading something into nothing.

The OP wrote that a naked man is always there holding an unread Bible. The OP didn't have to mention the title of the book, but she did because she thought it was interesting. I previously asked what the Bible had to do with it. Unfortunately, the OP chose to ignore that part of the post in her reply. I think you don't know how to read between the lines.

Chances are you would be the one embarrassed about their questions, not the nudists.

I'm never embarassed by my kids questions, regardless of the topic. Either way, we went to St. Martin and successfully avoided Orient Beach AND had a good time anyhow. :)

The OP wrote that a naked man is always there holding an unread Bible. The OP didn't have to mention the title of the book, but she did because she thought it was interesting. I previously asked what the Bible had to do with it. Unfortunately, the OP chose to ignore that part of the post in her reply. I think you don't know how to read between the lines.

I'm afraid I think that in this case, you are reading between the lines when nothing is there. The OP did answer:

Joe told us about the Bible and the guy. I did not "watch" the guy, as you suggest, although virtually anybody existing a tour bus in that parking lot is going to see him.

She mentioned the Bible being the book because that's something that island tour guides use as an example of "local color." That the guy holds a Bible is something the locals find amusing/entertaining and really had nothing to do with the OP making any moral judgments based on the Bible (or anything else).

beachchick

She mentioned the Bible being the book because that's something that island tour guides use as an example of "local color." That the guy holds a Bible is something the locals find amusing/entertaining and really had nothing to do with the OP making any moral judgments based on the Bible (or anything else)..

beachchick

In your attempt to turn the post into color commentary by the local guide, you ignore that the facts passed on by the OP were what she thought to be important.

The original post still begs the question: what does his possession of a Bible have to do with his nudity? Had he been holding a dictionary, I'm sure that fact would have been ignored. Too bad the OP doesn't have the gonads to finish what she started.

oops, Ron Paul interview on CNN right now . . . gotta go.

The original post still begs the question: what does his possession of a Bible have to do with his nudity?

It really doesn't. It's because he's naked that other things that identify him become more relevant.

If I want to identify you from a bunch of other guys in a crowd, I might say: the guy in the green shirt, or the guy with the blue tie, or whatever. But if you're naked and carrying exactly one item? Now you're the naked guy with the Bible.

It really doesn't. It's because he's naked that other things that identify him become more relevant.

If I want to identify you from a bunch of other guys in a crowd, I might say: the guy in the green shirt, or the guy with the blue tie, or whatever. But if you're naked and carrying exactly one item? Now you're the naked guy with the Bible.

So, the only thing you have to offer is to let us know how to identify the guy who is there everyday? Long hair, short hair; skinny, fat; tall, short; black, white; cut, uncut; none of these usual despcriptors would suffice? You want us all to get up close enough to read the title on his book.

And, then what do we do?

Why is it so darn important to identify this guy? Because he is there everyday?

He is a naked man at a clothing optional beach. DUH! Why does it matter that he held a Bible (unread, of course)?

So, the only thing you have to offer is to let us know how to identify the guy who is there everyday? Long hair, short hair; skinny, fat; tall, short; black, white; cut, uncut; none of these usual despcriptors would suffice? You want us all to get up close enough to read the title on his book.

And, then what do we do?

Why is it so darn important to identify this guy? Because he is there everyday?

He is a naked man at a clothing optional beach. DUH! Why does it matter that he held a Bible (unread, of course)?

You are still missing the point. OP happened to use the Bible as a way to identify the individual since it likely that few if any other people would be holding a Bible at a beach. As mentioned by BeachChick, you and a few other people are reading too much into it.

You are still missing the point. OP happened to use the Bible as a way to identify the individual since it likely that few if any other people would be holding a Bible at a beach. As mentioned by BeachChick, you and a few other people are reading too much into it.

Which, had you read my very early post . . . you would know that I thought it was unusual, also . . . to the point that instead of warning about naked people at a clothing optional beach, I would be warning people about a possible religious nut..

But it still begs the point: WHY DO WE HAVE TO IDENTIFY THIS INDIVIDUAL?

Which, had you read my very early post . . . you would know that I thought it was unusual, also . . . to the point that instead of warning about naked people at a clothing optional beach, I would be warning people about a possible religious nut..

But it still begs the point: WHY DO WE HAVE TO IDENTIFY THIS INDIVIDUAL?

If you recall, the original purpose of OP's post was to warn people "that it was really difficult to avoid the full nudity on Orient Beach". My guess is that she probably singled out this guy because he stands at the entrance where the tour buses park. Anyone who is not comfortable with full nudity could therefore try to avoid him? Those who don't think full nudity is a big deal don't have to worry either way (and actually I'm not sure why they are reading this thread since the warning does not apply to them anyways)

Would the next person who visits Orient Beach, please ask the naked man with the bible why he has a bible or offer him a different book? Then this thread that started as informational tor people who don't wish to see others in the clothing optional mode can be just that. It really is ok to not want to partake in nude sun bathing or to want to partake in nude sun bathing. Its a choice not a judgement.

The first time we went to Orient before it was all built up (Just Club Orient) there was a guy at the entrance flipping ribs on a charcoal grill and flipping other meat as he cooked. That show sure beats a guy with a bible.

Archived