Orient Beach -- families concerned about nudity beware

I think everyone has the right to raise their kids as they see fit [for the most part] and can understand why some may object to clothing optional beaches. I just want to say that when I took my 2 kids [preteen and teen] it was no big deal to them and they basically ignored it. There were no topless bathers in the area we were in, but they did stroll along the beach. I think just the novelty of telling their friends that they had been to such a beach was about it for them. Overall I can say it had absolutely no long term affect on them. For my son seeing a topless woman old enough to be his grandmother was not something he had any desire to watch and therefore went about having fun instead.

I am also traveling to St. Marteen with my 2 young daughters so I share your concerns. Because of this we booked with a company called Aquamania at the Pelican resort marina in Simpson Bay. They offer a "kids lagoon cruise" and a "playstation" which is a playground (trampoline,slides,etc.) that is anchored in about 8 feet of water.They do have life jackets the kids can wear, I checked on that b/c my youngest is also 4. Based on the pictures I have seen, it appears to be off a very small beach area so I'm not expecting to see many sunbathers, topless or otherwise. (If anyone knows differently please respond.) I, like you, don't wish to stay on the ship (and we live next door to Disney:rolleyes:) so this looks like a fun option for our kids. If you want to check them out go to http://www.stmaarten-activities.com . I'll post a review of them when we returrn in April.

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

I am going to look into this now. Thanks for sharing this information!!!

<snip>Because of this we booked with a company called Aquamania at the Pelican resort marina in Simpson Bay. They offer a "kids lagoon cruise" and a "playstation" which is a playground (trampoline,slides,etc.) that is anchored in about 8 feet of water.<snip>

I'm familiar with Aquamania. We use their Sand Dollar snorkel cruise. I have some photos of the Playstation posted over in my PhotoBucket.

One of those photos shows the beach in front of the Flamingo and Pelican resorts.

th_DSCN4155.jpg

(click)

At the top of the image you can see the Playstation in the water.

I don't recall that I've ever seen toplessness on this beach. Even though it is located in the resorts, and you have to navigate through the resorts to reach it, I don't know why you couldn't get there and enjoy the beach yourselves.

gary

p.s. From the Marina and Aquamania, the standard path over to the beach would be to hike up the stairs and then down the hill towards the beach. If you are sure-footed, you could walk to the left (facing the water) and around the corner (all on the same level) past the restaurant, and you're on the beach in the photo.

What an "experience" for a group of 9 women ranging from the 30s to 60s... But, not my experience beyond the rocks at Pedro's after 9:00 am or so. FWIW, I walked the entire length of that beach nude before 9:00am in January and I maybe saw a half-dozen "like" people. And, BTW, I saw very few others, if any, after that...

Those of you who want to keep your kids away from this "evil", try Le Galion or just stay on the ship. Those of you who come to gawk, be a little less obvious...

What is your problem? I tried to convey information to help a select group (parents who don't want to expose their children to adult nudity) and get attacked for doing it. Why in the world would I post this in the first place if we went to the beach to gawk at nude people? The nudity was so prevalent when we were there that I would have had to shut my eyes the entire time we were there to avoid it.

I get that our experiences were different. That doesn't make either of us wrong. What I don't get is why you have to belittle me for simply sharing my experience. I haven't said nudity is evil, and I haven't criticized anyone who is comfortable with a nude sunbathing or nude beaches. I merely stated we were not and that parents who wish to shield their children from adult nudity at St. Maarten should know that on the day we were there, nudity was prevalent and unavoidable.

If there is a moderator here, can you please just close this thread? I guess I should not have started it in the first place.

I am not concerned about the topless aspect of the beaches. I just don't want to explain the male human anatomy to my 4 year old daughter on vacation. Plus, as I said, my husband would be the biggest problem. He gets red in the face when there is a topless woman on TV, so he would probably melt into the sand on a beach with complete nudity. For the ones who seem to think we should just stay on the ship...good grief. I just ask for a little advise on which beach, other than Orient, would be good for a family who doesn't prefer complete nudity. I am not stupid nor naive, nor am I trying to protect my children from anything. I just thought someone here could help me find a quiet, nice beach were my children could play in fairly calm water. Sorry for asking.:rolleyes:

As for the kids someone else suggested on another thread you explain that they forgot their suit and the beach allows them to swim, others say does not bother the kids as much. As for you husband getting red faced I can answer that one "SUNBURN":D

Know this can be a touchy subject but can be made bigger that needed.

We actually sat down tonight and talked about with our girls. They are 4 and 5, and it is amazing to see how they think about things. I explained that there might be people there that have chosen to swim and sunbath without their swimsuits. I homeschool them, so I used it as an opportunity to teach they a little geography and culture while explaining! Well, after everything was said, our oldest looked at me and said "well, that makes sense to me. Why bother getting your clothes wet?" Then our youngest piped in with "Yeah, the taxi seats get sticky when you are wet. We won't have to change when we get back to the ship!" So I quickly explained that I thought they were just a little young to have a no-line tan. All in all, it went extremely well. I told my DH to make sure he didn't make a big deal out of it, and they will be fine.

Takingabreak- do not feel bad about starting this thread. It is very helpful for those of us who travel with children. We are not going to Orient Beach for many reasons. Your post was clear and obviously directed to those of us who are traveling in mixed company or just do not prefer to share such experiences. There was no reason for the ugly comments that have been made. We are supposed to be here to advise and help, yet some people feel they have to stir the pot. Thank you for starting this post. I am sure most will agree.

As for the kids someone else suggested on another thread you explain that they forgot their suit and the beach allows them to swim, others say does not bother the kids as much. As for you husband getting red faced I can answer that one "SUNBURN":D

Know this can be a touchy subject but can be made bigger that needed.

Lying to your children? Now that's bad.

What is your problem? I tried to convey information to help a select group (parents who don't want to expose their children to adult nudity) and get attacked for doing it. Why in the world would I post this in the first place if we went to the beach to gawk at nude people? The nudity was so prevalent when we were there that I would have had to shut my eyes the entire time we were there to avoid it.

I get that our experiences were different. That doesn't make either of us wrong. What I don't get is why you have to belittle me for simply sharing my experience. I haven't said nudity is evil, and I haven't criticized anyone who is comfortable with a nude sunbathing or nude beaches. I merely stated we were not and that parents who wish to shield their children from adult nudity at St. Maarten should know that on the day we were there, nudity was prevalent and unavoidable.

If there is a moderator here, can you please just close this thread? I guess I should not have started it in the first place.

I've been reading this thread since you first started it. Please don't feel bad for starting it. As a parent you wanted options & that is what cc is about a place where you can go & find options. You just have to realize that sometimes you will encounter the occasional poster that just likes to stir things up. I think the majority of us realized what you were asking so please don't let that ruin your cc experience.

I think everyone on both sides needs to relax... I dont think it is the end of the world if your kids see someone naked and at the same time I dont think it is so bad to wonder where they can go to avoid it. Either way relax people you are supposed to be on vacation!

I was reading this thread because I'm traveling to St. Martin this November. I'm an avid diver and the most I usually see of the Caribbean is underwater.

I'm sorry you were made to feel like you did anything wrong by some of the people responding. It was very clear to me that you're just concerned about your children. You weren't making any judgment calls about nude sunbathing in particular. I'm glad someone, at least, gave you some useful information.

Please don't stop asking valid and sincere questions. There are those who will always enjoy making something out of nothing...just ignore them.

Jane

We actually sat down tonight and talked about with our girls. They are 4 and 5, and it is amazing to see how they think about things. I explained that there might be people there that have chosen to swim and sunbath without their swimsuits. I homeschool them, so I used it as an opportunity to teach they a little geography and culture while explaining! Well, after everything was said, our oldest looked at me and said "well, that makes sense to me. Why bother getting your clothes wet?" Then our youngest piped in with "Yeah, the taxi seats get sticky when you are wet. We won't have to change when we get back to the ship!" So I quickly explained that I thought they were just a little young to have a no-line tan. All in all, it went extremely well. I told my DH to make sure he didn't make a big deal out of it, and they will be fine.

Takingabreak- do not feel bad about starting this thread. It is very helpful for those of us who travel with children. We are not going to Orient Beach for many reasons. Your post was clear and obviously directed to those of us who are traveling in mixed company or just do not prefer to share such experiences. There was no reason for the ugly comments that have been made. We are supposed to be here to advise and help, yet some people feel they have to stir the pot. Thank you for starting this post. I am sure most will agree.

LOL Kenzibell.... see, your kiddos are like mine. Would run into the sea nekked as jay birds. Yours even had it all planned out. That is too cute for words. You and dh will probably giggle about that when you are 70. We home school too btw. :)

To OP, your posting intentions were merely educational not derogatory. Your title specified your intended audience. No need to apologize because those who wanted to see bad in your post did and those to whom you were not speaking decided to take offense.

There is a guy who stands out each day on the beach in front of the parking lot where the tour buses park, and he is fully nude. Joe warned us about him -- the guy holds a Bible in his hands but never turns a page. . .

Just wondering how long you watched the guy, waiting for him to turn a page of his Bible . . . and, how did you know it was a Bible? Besides, what does the Bible have to do with it?

I'd be more inclined to warn people about a "possible" religious nut, than to warn people about nudity at a clothing optional beach (sort of like warning people that the water is wet).

I was just at Orient Beach last week (on a Bernard's tour- LOVED it) and it is CLEARLY shown where the totally nude people stay (there are rocks separating the two). At the bar (Pedro's I think- a big drop off point), go left down the beach and you will see only topless. At the bar, go right towards the yellow umbrellas and that is Club Orient, totally nude. The nude bunch walks to the rocks in between the beach area and then turn around, they don't go on the side where only topless is allowed. We got a glimpse because we took one, otherwise, I would have only seen topless. I've been to many topless beaches in Europe and it doesn't bother me so much. Just make sure to stay on the lower portion of the beach, you will be safe! Even though it was topless, I would say within 2 hours, we saw maybe 5 or so...

Just wondering how long you watched the guy, waiting for him to turn a page of his Bible . . . and, how did you know it was a Bible? Besides, what does the Bible have to do with it?

I'd be more inclined to warn people about a "possible" religious nut, than to warn people about nudity at a clothing optional beach (sort of like warning people that the water is wet).

Joe told us about the Bible and the guy. I did not "watch" the guy, as you suggest, although virtually anybody existing a tour bus in that parking lot is going to see him.

This sounds like a guy that we're aware of, who would alternate between the rocks and the first garbage can inside the Orient portion of the beach, except the book he (didn't) read was Jimmy Buffett's "A Pirate Looks at Fifty".

gary

This sounds like a guy that we're aware of, who would alternate between the rocks and the first garbage can inside the Orient portion of the beach, except the book he (didn't) read was Jimmy Buffett's "A Pirate Looks at Fifty".

gary

Did Jimmy Buffet skip over A Pirate Looks 40?

Thanks. I decided to just sit down with DH and tell him to get over it. I figure we will discuss it with our girls before we leave and take a chance. They are pretty sharp, so I don't think it is going to be a problem. One thing I am wondering. Of the beaches, if you are looking for something a little less crowded, but still nice, where would that be? CLOTHING IS NOT THE ISSUE! We would just like something that isn't terribly far away and is good for a beach day! Thanks!

You might want to try the beach at Great Bay. It right in Phillipsburg, where the ship will dock. Some have said that the water is not very clean, but I did not find that to be the case when I was there a couple of years ago.

We have been to St. Martin a couple of time since there and have gone to Orient Beach on each of our return trips. As long as you stay to the left of the rocks, North, I believe, of Pedro's, you might, and I stress might, see an occasional topless woman, but in all probability you won't encounter full nudity.:)

The nude bunch walks to the rocks in between the beach area and then turn around, they don't go on the side where only topless is allowed.

this is not true - we stayed at the topless only side of Orient Beach for a week last year - and everyday we say plenty of totally nude folks walking the full length of the beach - past the rocks. While it was mostly for their early morning walk - that is not guaranteed.

Didn't bother us - but be aware there is a likelyhood that you could encounter full nudity anywhere on the beach.

this is not true - we stayed at the topless only side of Orient Beach for a week last year - and everyday we say plenty of totally nude folks walking the full length of the beach - past the rocks. While it was mostly for their early morning walk - that is not guaranteed.

Didn't bother us - but be aware there is a likelyhood that you could encounter full nudity anywhere on the beach.

But yes, they were walking the whole length of the beach while we were there, and we did an extended stay, and would say we were there until 230pm. They also walked right up to Pedro's for their lunch. Maybe it depends on the day/weather, but just letting you know what I saw 3 weeks ago;).

Our group of 9 women ranging from the 30s to 60s just returned from a 7-day cruise on the Carnival Glory, which stops in St. Maarten. We booked Bernard's Tour and really enjoyed ourselves -- Joe, our guide, was outstanding.

Just wanted to let anyone considering that tour to know, though, that it was really difficult to avoid the full nudity on Orient Beach when we visited. I had been concerned about that and researched the issue on these boards prior to our trip. I read many posts which said you might see occasional uncovered breasts, but that nudity was not prevalent, particularly down the beach. However, that absolutely was not our experience.

There is a guy who stands out each day on the beach in front of the parking lot where the tour buses park, and he is fully nude. Joe warned us about him -- the guy holds a Bible in his hands but never turns a page and is there every day. It's hard to access the beach from the parking lot without seeing this guy.

We also saw many people walking down the beach nude. One topless woman stopped and dropped her bikini bottoms right in front of us and continued walking. During our two hours there, we probably saw 20 or more completely nude people and another 20 or more topless women with bottoms on . . . and we weren't searching them out, believe me!!!!! All ages and sizes.

The beach and water were absolutely beautiful, but this is absolutely not a place for families with children if the families have concerns about exposing their children to adult nudity. I know my experience must have been different from that of others on this board, but I thought I should post just so that people will know that at least on some occasions there is substantial

I also just returned from Orient.Luckily enough we didn't take the kids. That man you are referiing to is permanent fixture at Orient. And he is hard to miss. Different sections of the beach had more nudity then others. We did inquire about that man and his location, and the bar tender told us he is there every day.

I agree that you did not deserve to be flamed. Your post was not out of line and you did not deserve the "flames"!:D I never understand why people feel the need to do this. They aren't contributing anything possitive to the discussion, just for some reason feel the need to express an opinion that was not asked for in the first place.:rolleyes: I just don't get it!:rolleyes:

I have a 13 yr old DS and I don't mind him seeing some topless bathers, but total nudity is not age appropriate. I thank you for your post, as I can now better prepare my family as to what you personally experienced. :D I thought there would be minimal nudity, so I'm glad to know that there "may" be more than expected. I've decided that just the SIL and myself will go to the beach, and the DH and DS can go on a snorkeling tour arranged through the ship. Thanks again for posting your experience, it helped me make an important decision for my family.:D Please don't let the "flamers" stop you from posting in the future!.;)

Archived